[REMOVE ADS]

Demon Reissues Thom Bell-Produced New York City’s “I’m Doin’ Fine Now”

I had not known this was a Thom Bell production -

https://theseconddisc.com/2020/10/12...doin-fine-now/

I fondly remember New York City's hit song, "I'm Doin' Fine Now". I bought the single when it came out back in '73 so I knew it was a Thom Bell production [[as well as a co-write). Even though the song sounds like what The Spinners were doing at the time, it's still a highlight of the Philly Soul era. Thanks PNH for the news about the reissue of their album.

It's a shame that Thom Bell did not have the same success with NYC as he did with the Spinners. The sound was there as well as the talent. I love every song on this collection. I have a Sequel compilation CD [made in England] that has two complete albums in the issuance. I'm Doin' Fine Now b/w Soulful Road. I doubt anyone who purchases this would regret doing so. It is worth every cent of it.

I only know the one hit. I'm gonna try to check out their other songs.
    I'm Doin' Fine Now kicked major booty....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9XzgaiCSvI

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I fondly remember New York City's hit song, "I'm Doin' Fine Now". I bought the single when it came out back in '73 so I knew it was a Thom Bell production [[as well as a co-write). Even though the song sounds like what The Spinners were doing at the time, it's still a highlight of the Philly Soul era. Thanks PNH for the news about the reissue of their album.
    It sure was a great single! I hope the lp reissue does well enough to encourage a cd release as well.

Hi. I strongly agree with Bill that Sequel's CD The Best Of New York City which includes all 21 Thom Bell produced tracks is your best bet if you can find a copy. My favorite New York City track by far is their top 20 R&B hit "Happiness Is" written by Jefferson, Hawes and Simmons. Thom Bell didn't really care for New York City's lead singer and this was merely a contractual obligation for him, but many nice recordings did come out of this collaboration.

Hi!

This is what Thom Bell said in Bob Stanley's liner notes to the recent Kent CD "Ready Or Not/Thom Bell" on the New York City track, "I'm Doing Fine Now." -

"A lot of people thought it was the Spinners, I couldn't help it! The guys got mad - one was a security guard, another was a bartender - and they got mad because people talked about me more than they talked about them. 'It's the Thom Bell sound', and they got jealous of that. I said man, what can I do? So they quit."

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by JimBagley View Post
    Hi. I strongly agree with Bill that Sequel's CD The Best Of New York City which includes all 21 Thom Bell produced tracks is your best bet if you can find a copy. My favorite New York City track by far is their top 20 R&B hit "Happiness Is" written by Jefferson, Hawes and Simmons. Thom Bell didn't really care for New York City's lead singer and this was merely a contractual obligation for him, but many nice recordings did come out of this collaboration.
    According to the book about The Philly Sound, A House On Fire, Thom Bell didn't even like the name of the group! The book also states that he didn't like their voices & had to use "every trick in the book" to make NYC sound good. But as you said, many nice recordings did come out of the collaboration.

All interesting news. I had never made a Spinners-connection but won't deny a certain aural similarity.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    It's a shame that Thom Bell did not have the same success with NYC as he did with the Spinners. The sound was there as well as the talent. I love every song on this collection. I have a Sequel compilation CD [made in England] that has two complete albums in the issuance. I'm Doin' Fine Now b/w Soulful Road. I doubt anyone who purchases this would regret doing so. It is worth every cent of it.
    I have that cd, and it is indeed excellent. I still have the original vinyl album too.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I had not known this was a Thom Bell production -

https://theseconddisc.com/2020/10/12...doin-fine-now/
    Where have you been?
    It is included on the excellent compilation cd from Kent/Ace which provides an oversight of Tom Bell's career.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Where have you been?
    It is included on the excellent compilation cd from Kent/Ace which provides an oversight of Tom Bell's career.
    Ha - I'm always ... 'here'! I regret, though, that I just can't buy every one of the wonderful cd's that are released. Such is life!

I didn’t like New York City that much, I’m right there with Thom Bell 🤣