[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ***shine***

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I remember that article. Wasn't the subheading something to the effect of "I'm not sour grapes about 'Solid Gold'"?
    Not sure about the Times. In EBONY it was titled "Dionne Warwick Speaks Out For Strong Black Women."

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Around the time of HEARTBREAKER's release, Dionne did an interview with [[I believe) the LA Times that later ran in EBONY as well. I don't know if they caught Dionne on a bad day but she was negative towards the title track of HEARTBREAKER, talked about problems with SOLID GOLD, and her feelings about her replacement on the show, Marilyn McCoo.
    She was very negative about the title track. She can be her own worst enemy and is very capable of shooting herself in the foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    She was very negative about the title track. She can be her own worst enemy and is very capable of shooting herself in the foot.
    And, like MANY superbly talented vocalists who do not write their own material, Dionne is not always aware of a great song when she hears it! It's difficult to believe, though, that anyone would not recognize what a great song 'Heartbreaker' was! And considering her lack of enthusiasm Dionne sure did a great vocal on the song.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    And, like MANY superbly talented vocalists who do not write their own material, Dionne is not always aware of a great song when she hears it! It's difficult to believe, though, that anyone would not recognize what a great song 'Heartbreaker' was! And considering her lack of enthusiasm Dionne sure did a great vocal on the song.
    Totally agree with you on all counts.

Maybe it's because, those pop songs are mechanical to sing for great singers like Streisand or Warwick. It seems to me, that Diana is in between in the sense that she can be free while singing pop tunes. But, she seems often bored while singing "upside down", because there is little place left for her as an interpreter.

During the vocal recording in Hollywood, the production team had Barbra sing several takes of each song. Characteristically she varied her delivery each time. Barry had a strict concept of pitch and tempo, but Barbra likes to play with it, hanging on to a word here, rushing one there, and sliding into the right note. During post-production the team proceeded to ‘fix’ her vocals by editing together the different takes to get those lines most exactly in pitch and tempo. In those days editing was a slow and careful matter done with razors and glue, not the digital editing done now. It took them months to bring it to what Barry wanted.

Dionne was openly critical of some of the songs. She was dissing it at the time of release which totally pissed a very angry Barry. He vowed never to work with Dionne again.
    It seems a rather peculiar thing to do to slate your own album at the time of its release. Personally I find a lot of Dionne’s 80’s output rather bland, so can’t help but wonder just what she disliked about ‘Heartbreaker’. I seem to remember she was none to happy about the Luther produced album either which is perhaps a little more understandable.
    I would have loved for Diana to have done a full album with George Duke. He produced a brilliant album for Rachelle Ferrell which would have been perfect for Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    It seems a rather peculiar thing to do to slate your own album at the time of its release. Personally I find a lot of Dionne’s 80’s output rather bland, so can’t help but wonder just what she disliked about ‘Heartbreaker’. I seem to remember she was none to happy about the Luther produced album either which is perhaps a little more understandable.
    I would have loved for Diana to have done a full album with George Duke. He produced a brilliant album for Rachelle Ferrell which would have been perfect for Diana.
    George Duke would have been the perfect producer for Dionne. It's a pity it never happened.
    Personally speaking i love Dionne's Arista years. I thought her albums were remarkably consistent. I was disappointed with some of the tunes on the Luther produced album, particularly the uptempo tracks which Dionne sounded uncomfortable on, and indeed those are the ones that she publicly dissed. I love Dionne's voice, but i find some of her outbursts to be perculiar to say the least. Luther was said to be angry by her criticism, but they did kiss and make up, which is more than she did with Barry.
    The other album i had problems with at the time of release was The Aquarela Do Brasil album, but it has grown on me somewhat over the years and now i find it to be quite refreshing and innovative. By no means her finest effort, but certainly a brave and creative effort.

George Duke would have been the perfect producer for Dionne. It's a pity it never happened.
    Personally speaking i love Dionne's Arista years. I thought her albums were remarkably consistent. I was disappointed with some of the tunes on the Luther produced album, particularly the uptempo tracks which Dionne sounded uncomfortable on, and indeed those are the ones that she publicly dissed. I love Dionne's voice, but i find some of her outbursts to be perculiar to say the least. Luther was said to be angry by her criticism, but they did kiss and make up, which is more than she did with Barry.
    The other album i had problems with at the time of release was The Aquarela Do Brasil album, but it has grown on me somewhat over the years and now i find it to be quite refreshing and innovative. By no means her finest effort, but certainly a brave and creative effort.
    I have always thought the rather poignant ‘Yours’ from ‘HB’ deserved better then it got.
    As regards Barry Gibb producing three music divas. Would you say that he saves his best for Barbra Streisand or that it’s just an extremely good matchup?.
    I find that overall both ‘Guilty’ and ‘Guilty 2 are much stronger albums then either ‘Heartbreaker’ or Eaten Alive.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 10-14-2020 at 02:59 PM.

I have always thought the rather poignant ‘Yours’ from ‘HB’ deserved better then it got.
    As regards Barry Gibb producing three music divas. Would you say that he saves his best for Barbra Streisand or that it’s just an extremely good matchup?.
    I find that overall both ‘Guilty’ and ‘Guilty 2 are much stronger albums then either ‘Heartbreaker’ or Eaten Alive.
    i always liked the Heartbreaker album. Eaten Alive was pure garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Everyone has an opinion. I happen to love both albums. By I really prefer the Eaten Alive album more.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Everyone has an opinion. I happen to love both albums. By I really prefer the Eaten Alive album more.
    that's what makes this forum fun the differing opinions. i myself do not like the EA package. even Chained Reaction is one i rarely play. but i do enjoy WDFFIL and SE lol

vgalindo - may i ask what aspects of EA appeal so much to you? what are the tracks or moments that make it a set you enjoy?

Agreed. I have a whole playlist of Dionne's Arista years. To this day, I have no idea how she could dislike "Heartbreaker." It wasn't the greatest album ever but it was elegant and well-produced. I thought Barry Gibb took great care to present her well on that album. But you know how divas can be...

My favorite Arista album is "No Night So Long." Such beautiful vocals on that one - "We Had This Time" is a particular standout. Arista took great care of Dionne through the "Reservations For Two" LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Agreed. I have a whole playlist of Dionne's Arista years. To this day, I have no idea how she could dislike "Heartbreaker." It wasn't the greatest album ever but it was elegant and well-produced. I thought Barry Gibb took great care to present her well on that album. But you know how divas can be...

My favorite Arista album is "No Night So Long." Such beautiful vocals on that one - "We Had This Time" is a particular standout. Arista took great care of Dionne through the "Reservations For Two" LP.
    No night so long is also a personal favorite of mine. I love Somebody's Angel.it always sounded like a vintage B&D song to me.
    I also love the underrated Friends in love album. In fact i love almost every one of those albums.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    that's what makes this forum fun the differing opinions. i myself do not like the EA package. even Chained Reaction is one i rarely play. but i do enjoy WDFFIL and SE lol

vgalindo - may i ask what aspects of EA appeal so much to you? what are the tracks or moments that make it a set you enjoy?
    Enjoy Fools and Silk Electric? Wash your mouth out with soap and water son!!
    My question is WHY??????

He also worked well with Samantha Sang and Celine Dion. Immortality is a lovely song.

He also worked well with Samantha Sang and Celine Dion. Immortality is a lovely song.
    It is indeed. I just listened to Dionne singing ‘Guilty’ on Solid Gold and she does a great job with it.
    My own personal favourite DW song has to be ‘Extravagant Gestures’ from the Friends album.

It is indeed. I just listened to Dionne singing ‘Guilty’ on Solid Gold and she does a great job with it.
    My own personal favourite DW song has to be ‘Extravagant Gestures’ from the Friends album.
    It is a lovely song from a lovely album. She was at her vocal peak during the 80's.

Enjoy Fools and Silk Electric? Wash your mouth out with soap and water son!!
    My question is WHY??????
    Some of us just do, Mr. B. It's just entertainment. We can't change the past. What one does not like from the past is best forgotten. There those who go to their graves obsessing over performers and recordings they don't like; don't be one of them. There are so many other good things to think of!

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post

I am glad you said it -- so I did not have to

No night so long is also a personal favorite of mine. I love Somebody's Angel.it always sounded like a vintage B&D song to me.
    I also love the underrated Friends in love album. In fact i love almost every one of those albums.
    Yes! FIL was a great one too. I especially like her version of "Can't Hide Love."

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

I really love all the songs except the title track and “Oh Teacher”. I like Chain Reaction” but my least favorite. The rest is just so classic Diana. IMO. I was going through a rough time in my life at the time and I listened to this album constantly. “Experience” is one of the most beautiful songs ever IMO. “I’m Watching you”, “Don’t Give up on each other”, “ I love Being in love with you” and “love on the line”. All beautiful songs to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Yes! FIL was a great one too. I especially like her version of "Can't Hide Love."
    Agreed. Her version of Can't hide love is the best one in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I really love all the songs except the title track and “Oh Teacher”. I like Chain Reaction” but my least favorite. The rest is just so classic Diana. IMO. I was going through a rough time in my life at the time and I listened to this album constantly. “Experience” is one of the most beautiful songs ever IMO. “I’m Watching you”, “Don’t Give up on each other”, “ I love Being in love with you” and “love on the line”. All beautiful songs to me.
    I think it is a good album rather than a great one. The only track i actively dislike is the title track which is surely amongst her worst ever.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Some of us just do, Mr. B. It's just entertainment. We can't change the past. What one does not like from the past is best forgotten. There those who go to their graves obsessing over performers and recordings they don't like; don't be one of them. There are so many other good things to think of!
    TOTALLY DISAGREE!!. I for one really enjoy reading fans thoughts and opinions regarding which albums they enjoy as much as those they don’t care for. It’s what makes discussion interesting Why should an album or a concert you don’t like best be forgotten, never to be mentioned. Perhaps because it might ruffle the feathers of the small minority who believe everything Diana Ross has ever been involved in is perfect. Hmmm.
    To suggest Bluebrock is obsessing rather then expressing his personal opinions is really rather arrogant and the kind of mind set this forum has been free of for months. Ah well, it was good while it lasted.

I'm listening EA since a few days, and definitely I think all the songs are too high to provide a good sound.
    Experience and I'm watching you are the hardest to listen to.
    The single EA aged pretty well, I enjoy it better now than back in 85.

TOTALLY DISAGREE!!. I for one really enjoy reading fans thoughts and opinions regarding which albums they enjoy as much as those they don’t care for. It’s what makes discussion interesting Why should an album or a concert you don’t like best be forgotten, never to be mentioned. Perhaps because it might ruffle the feathers of the small minority who believe everything Diana Ross has ever been involved in is perfect. Hmmm.
    To suggest Bluebrock is obsessing rather then expressing his personal opinions is really rather arrogant and the kind of mind set this forum has been free of for months. Ah well, it was good while it lasted.
    It's all good Ollie. P&H and i are good friends. Good enough friends to be able to disagree in a lively and spirited way, but never in a malicious way. I know where he is coming from and have no problem whatsoever with his response.
    This forum is a positive place to visit in these dark and worrying times. I don't think there is any danger of it reverting back to the bad old days, but thank you so much for having my back. Respect to you.

I was disappointed with some of the tunes on the Luther produced album, particularly the uptempo tracks which Dionne sounded uncomfortable on, and indeed those are the ones that she publicly dissed. I love Dionne's voice, but i find some of her outbursts to be perculiar to say the least. Luther was said to be angry by her criticism, but they did kiss and make up, which is more than she did with Barry..
    It would seem Dionne has no problem in publicly dissing her own music. To me it seems a rather foolish thing to do. I also remember seeing her at The Royal Festival Hall at the time she released ‘Friends Can Be Lovers’. She told the audience she was unhappy with the new single, FCBL and wished it had been something else.
    Other then reveal her dissatisfaction with the Everything Is Everything’ album, has Diana ever done the same?.

It would seem Dionne has no problem in publicly dissing her own music. To me it seems a rather foolish thing to do. I also remember seeing her at The Royal Festival Hall at the time she released ‘Friends Can Be Lovers’. She told the audience she was unhappy with the new single, FCBL and wished it had been something else.
    Other then reveal her dissatisfaction with the Everything Is Everything’ album, has Diana ever done the same?.
    Lisa Stansfield was totally pissed with Dionne for publicly slating her contribution to this generally excellent album. I think it was possibly because she knew her Arista contract was not being renewed once she had completed her Brazilian album. It is such unprofessional behaviour. Lisa is a lovely sweet girl who felt very honoured to work with one of her idols.
    As regards Diana the only album i ever heard her diss aside from Everything is Everything was Workin' overtime, and that was on the set of the Wogan show on the BBC. There were several people present, but it was not meant to be a public dennouncement of the project. It was nothing more than a standard Diana tantrum of which i witnessed numerous.
    I have to applaud her for her professionalism in promoting this album. She went about her business like the super trooper she is. I love the lady even in her darker moments. That is Ms Ross for you. What you see is what you get. Such a class act on and off stage.

Lisa Stansfield was totally pissed with Dionne for publicly slating her contribution to this generally excellent album. I think it was possibly because she knew her Arista contract was not being renewed once she had completed her Brazilian album. It is such unprofessional behaviour. Lisa is a lovely sweet girl who felt very honoured to work with one of her idols.
    As regards Diana the only album i ever heard her diss aside from Everything is Everything was Workin' overtime, and that was on the set of the Wogan show on the BBC. There were several people present, but it was not meant to be a public dennouncement of the project. It was nothing more than a standard Diana tantrum of which i witnessed numerous.
    I have to applaud her for her professionalism in promoting this album. She went about her business like the super trooper she is. I love the lady even in her darker moments. That is Ms Ross for you. What you see is what you get. Such a class act on and off stage.
    I think Lisa had every right to feel angry. I remember Dionne sang ‘FCBL’ and then told the audience “this is what should have been released as a single”. . She then proceeded to sing “Age Of Miracles”. I always thought the duet with Whitney was the most commercial song from the album.
    Glad to hear that of Diana. Its hard to imagine any artist introducing their own song with, ‘I don't really care for this much, but I’m going to have to sing it for you anyway’. . It doesn't exactly add to the enjoyment lol.

I think Lisa had every right to feel angry. I remember Dionne sang ‘FCBL’ and then told the audience “this is what should have been released as a single”. . She then proceeded to sing “Age Of Miracles”. I always thought the duet with Whitney was the most commercial song from the album.
    Glad to hear that of Diana. Its hard to imagine any artist introducing their own song with, ‘I don't really care for this much, but I’m going to have to sing it for you anyway’. . It doesn't exactly add to the enjoyment lol.
    I had a similar experience with Dionne. I saw her in the summer of 1981 when HOT! LIVE AND OTHERWISE was her current album. She sang the first single release SOME CHANGES ARE FOR GOOD and then made a few comments. She didn't say that she disliked it necessarily but she did say that she disagreed with its choice as the single. She then said something like she was proven right when it performed poorly. Her choice was THERE'S A LONG ROAD AHEAD OF US, which she sang to a standing ovation. [[Note: when it was released as a single, it performed poorly as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I had a similar experience with Dionne. I saw her in the summer of 1981 when HOT! LIVE AND OTHERWISE was her current album. She sang the first single release SOME CHANGES ARE FOR GOOD and then made a few comments. She didn't say that she disliked it necessarily but she did say that she disagreed with its choice as the single. She then said something like she was proven right when it performed poorly. Her choice was THERE'S A LONG ROAD AHEAD OF US, which she sang to a standing ovation. [[Note: when it was released as a single, it performed poorly as well.)
    It would seem it become a habit lol. I thought the best of those studio sides was “Starting Over Again”. Were not those Masser songs intended for Diana before she pulled the plug on the ‘To Love Again’ sessions?. I have to say, l’m not so keen on either song as they kind of remind me of “Tell Me Again” of which l’m not fond of either.