[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I wasn't going to say anything , but since you brought it up.... the chemistry here , eye contact , lack of, etc. its almost as if they barely want to be on stage together, much less be married ....

well, they do hold hands for a practiced limp way for a bit ...

[[ actually, I think Billy tries , but she ain't having it lol!)
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-07-2020 at 05:06 PM.

They DO seem really stiff. I wonder why? Billy is probably my favorite male singer but he has always been God awful when it comes to stage presence, particularly on TV. If he's "in love, so in love" he might want to get within 50 feet of her. I mean good GOD

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    They DO seem really stiff. I wonder why? Billy is probably my favorite male singer but he has always been God awful when it comes to stage presence, particularly on TV. If he's "in love, so in love" he might want to get within 50 feet of her. I mean good GOD
    Stacey Lattisaw does a nice version of I Thought... as well, on one of her eighties albums...

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    To me Diana's ballads are her forte and I do quite like ITITALT but there's no way it was a blockbuster, lacking a killer punch and seemingly drifting somewhat, the melody was a bit off-kilter.

It probably suffered from following Do You Know Where You're Going To - it's hard to tell how it might have done in the US charts had Love Hangover not been rush-released just a month later.

Certainly there's no question that this killed the record completely but it wasn't really moving upwards that fast.

No doubt it was getting some airplay as it reached #47 on Billboard but only #60 on Casbox after 4 weeks raises doubts and oddly it didn't make the Record World Top 100 at all.

Hmmm...........

Of course you can't rally compare the UK and US markets for Diana in the 70s as so often there were big differences on how some Diana singles performed in either market.

It was the ballads which the UK public lapped up but considering it was released in the wake of her successful 1976 UK tour and after two top 10 hits in Do You Know and Love Hangover they didn't really take to it - surprisingly poor chart performance stalling at #32.
    An informative post Florence that kind of sums up just what happened with ITITALT.
    I personally have always considered “After You” a more memorable ballad with far better lyrics. I tend to think of Diana Ross 76 as the quintessential Diana album as in...
    1. The artwork is superb
    2. All the songs are great
    3. There is a little something to suit everyone’s taste.

Perhaps ITITALT would have had more impact if the final chorus wasn't cut so short. The alternate version on the expanded album had a "fantastic celebratory feel of finding love" with it's longer final chorus.

I love both versions of the song. For me, a real classic Diana ballad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    An informative post Florence that kind of sums up just what happened with ITITALT.
    I personally have always considered “After You” a more memorable ballad with far better lyrics. I tend to think of Diana Ross 76 as the quintessential Diana album as in...
    1. The artwork is superb
    I agree After You could have been a potential hit in it's own right. The Black album was a very consistent album despite the number of different producers on board. Kiss me now is my least favorite song on there, but even that is quite charming in it's own little way.
    Great album.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    1. The artwork is superb
    agree that this is a very strong album. Some fans don't care for Kiss Me Now or at least placing it after LH. Let's be honest - LH was such a powerful and ground breaking song that it would be hard to follow it in an lp lineup. LH is about ecstasy and I think KMN is that playful goofy after glow. without getting too graphic, it's the smile, wink and laugh you share with your partner [[or maybe partners!! lolol)

Another track that some don't care for is Smile. It is a bit sacchrine and now we know it was part of the Blue and Lady sessions. i do think it's a nice song though. Maybe she could have used To Love Again instead

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    agree that this is a very strong album. Some fans don't care for Kiss Me Now or at least placing it after LH. Let's be honest - LH was such a powerful and ground breaking song that it would be hard to follow it in an lp lineup. LH is about ecstasy and I think KMN is that playful goofy after glow. without getting too graphic, it's the smile, wink and laugh you share with your partner [[or maybe partners!! lolol)

Another track that some don't care for is Smile. It is a bit sacchrine and now we know it was part of the Blue and Lady sessions. i do think it's a nice song though. Maybe she could have used To Love Again instead
    I remember being at a family party when a cousin put on the 45 of LOVE HANGOVER. Everyone was grooving but then he turned it over to play KISS ME NOW. It lasted about one verse before the needle was removed.

It certainly isn't my favorite song. But I think its placement on the album is perfect. After those two great ballads and then the long LOVE HANGOVER, it was sort of cute to end Side One with this little harmless ditty.

I can't think of another place on the album where KMN would have fit better. As I think with most of the albums back then, I really feel great care went into the sequencing. Now I find it doesn't seem as important. I suppose since we now have the option of hitting the skip button on the cd player as opposed to getting up and lifting the arm off the vinyl.

agree that with an lp back in the day, you needed to really think about the sequence of the songs. not saying motown always was right [[for instance i always found it odd that Sup 75 ended with You Turn Me around).

the other option would simply to have ended Side A with LH. but i agree that I think KMN sort of works fine there. DR 76 is not a disco album, like what Donna Summer was releasing. there were a couple hard dance songs, big sweeping ballads, a couple mid tempo ones. lots of variety.

i do think DR could have pulled off a more focused dance lp. the high-art look of this album, a steady run of incredible dance songs [[like if she had done the follow up of Don't Leave Me This Way) could have made an amazing package

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Bobby , I rewatched and to be fair, the segment seems highly scripted, "Billy you sit here , Marilyn you walk to here, join hands and walk six steps, and when singing this line switch to camera two..."
    They seem very concerned about hitting their marks , looking at the right camera . McCoo doesn't find the right camera until 2:23 lol! Not well rehearsed? Kind of takes the naturalness out of it.

Hey maybe this is the performance you were remembering:

Yep--that's the one I saw. Much better