[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Remembers Marvin Gaye Never Before Released Masters

This was a very interesting album, "Motown Remembers Marvin Gaye Never Before Released Masters." Vaulted material from the 60's [[and maybe a couple from 1970?) What was interesting was that there were extensive overdubs featuring either newly recorded music or additions to the original Funk Brothers tracks. Funny story; I was kinda ticked off about those overdubs. So much so that I took my album back for a refund! But something must have been working because I ended up going and buying another copy.

I actually thought "Lonely Lover" worked extremely well. "Baby I'm Glad Things Worked Out So Well" and "Dark Side Of The World" also sounded great. Out of all the cuts, I really loved this one, "That's The Way It Goes." Nothing of the original Funk Brothers tracks seems to have been supplanted and the modern 80's dubs compliment the Funks really well. Did any of you here on Soulful Detroit purchase this album?

I bought the album at the time of its release. I was very pleased to hear previously unreleased songs by Marvin and I agree with your view on the best tracks.

I’m trying to think if all the album tracks have been subsequently released on CD. I know several are on Marvin’s Lost And Found album in their original form.

Likewise, I loved this album when it came out, especially Lonely Lover, The World is Rated X and Dark Side of The World.

But I prefer the versions of Lonely Lover and The World Is Rated X alternate mixes that have come out on various other releases - The Master boxset or deluxe editions...

I bought a used copy years after its release. I think I bought it for the duet with Kim Weston more than anything else. I don't recall playing it more than once.

The album has been released as a CD

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    The album has been released as a CD
    Can you provide further information on this being released as a CD? I have the original album that was released but was unaware that a CD has been issued. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I bought the album at the time of its release. I was very pleased to hear previously unreleased songs by Marvin and I agree with your view on the best tracks.

I’m trying to think if all the album tracks have been subsequently released on CD. I know several are on Marvin’s Lost And Found album in their original form.
    The song I posted, "That's The Way It Goes" has not, to my knowledge, been released in its original mix. I keep hoping it will turn up one day.

Woodward: it was released in 2009 in Japan as an SHMCD

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    The song I posted, "That's The Way It Goes" has not, to my knowledge, been released in its original mix. I keep hoping it will turn up one day.
    Perhaps a contender for COM6

Can someone post the track listing on this?

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Can someone post the track listing on this?
    https://www.discogs.com/Marvin-Gaye-.../master/238740

Perhaps a contender for COM6
    That would be great!

You can see the CD version here ....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57659122446621

Thanks for that!

You can see the CD version here ....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57659122446621
    Thanks for the link!

I hope that Motown finds an opportunity to create a duet of Diana and Marvin's Dark Side Of The World. John Perrone did a great job with his version but when chatting with him once he explained that the slight differences in each song's mix made it hard for him to obtain smooth links of the two versions.

I had the album from new. Didn’t care for it and it subsequently moved on

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    The song I posted, "That's The Way It Goes" has not, to my knowledge, been released in its original mix.
    " I Gotta Have Your Lovin' " has not been released in its original mix too .
    Also "No Greater Love " has not been released on CD .

"No Greater Love" is on the Japanese CD.

Both versions of the World Is X Rated [[1972) have been released, both on the EE of Let's Get It On and on You're The Man.

Who's backing MG up on backgrounds on Loving In Affection? It doesn't sound like Martha & The Vandellas, Supremes or the Andantes. It's listed as being completed in August of '63, probably after M&TV stopped doing backgrounds for MG and before the Supremes were drafted to do duties.
    Last edited by SatansBlues; 10-02-2020 at 02:24 PM.

"No Greater Love" is on the Japanese CD.
    Oh yes i know , i have the japanese CD , i wanted to say the original mix .

I thought we had been cheated with those additional 80s sounds.
    It really was an insult on Marvin and the Motown sound. Same goes with Michael Jackson’s “Farewell my summer love” LP and “25 Miles”
    I hated that album maybe as much as “Dream of a Lifetime” where the word Pussy was replaced by Lady.
    That’s not what Marvin or the producers were looking for.
    At least with Valerie Simpson replacing Tammi Terrell, Marvin agreed to that.
    Well... I’d really like to hear the untouched versions of songs butchered for that album.
    Things have been corrected now for all tracks - ditto with Michael Jackson’s - but for two. Plus “Sanctified Pussy/Lady” of course which is THE ONE I’d die to hear... in my lifetime?
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jbpintus View Post
    It really was an insult on Marvin and the Motown sound. Same goes with Michael Jackson’s “Farewell my summer love” LP and “25 Miles”
    I hated that album maybe as much as “Dream of a Lifetime” where the word Pussy was replaced by Lady.
    Well... I’d really like to hear the untouched versions of songs butchered for that album.
    Things have been corrected now for all tracks - ditto with Michael Jackson’s - but for two. Plus “Sanctified Pussy/Lady” of course which is THE ONE I’d die to hear... in my lifetime?
    I just listed to this album, for the first time that I can remember, and to my ears there's only one or two tracks were the 80's overdub is noticeable, for the most part the tracks are nice. Dark Side of the World, the track written by the Miracles, and the World is X-rated are my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by jbpintus View Post
    That's why I took my album back for a refund. I didn't like the overdubs at all. But a couple of the tunes stuck in my mind, especially the song in the video above. So I went back and bought it.

I’ve just listened to it again for the first time in years. Probably the last time was the one time
    I played the cd when released more than 10 years ago.

Well... what a waste!
    The original mixes are far better and with the exception of maybe “Baby don’t you leave me”, the added overdubs ruin the tracks. At best we’re in a mid 70s’ UNDISPUTED TRUTH delirium.
    At worse, we’re drowning within the 80s drums programming least inspired moments.

Now the two tracks that we only have overdubbed, are actually saved from overzealous extra sounds. And the songs are quite good at that! So it’s still great to have this album.

More than everything, it was fabulous to get such previously vaulted material.

Fact is that I hated it from the beginning in 1986.
    I’ve always liked Mororcity Recordings that I discovered shortly after though. The mind boggles...

With or without overdubs, "Lonely Lover" was strong enough to have been a single. How Motown could not have seen the hit potential of this or of the version by the Four Tops is a mystery to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post

Who's backing MG up on backgrounds on Loving In Affection? It doesn't sound like Martha & The Vandellas, Supremes or the Andantes. It's listed as being completed in August of '63, probably after M&TV stopped doing backgrounds for MG and before the Supremes were drafted to do duties.
    Not sure who did the backgrounds on LOVING AND AFFECTION. But according to Martha, the Vandellas still did some backup vocals for Marvin in 1963. In her book and in various articles, she has mentioned how they flew into Detroit from an engagement in Baltimore, recorded the whole HEAT WAVE album in one night, and also did backup on two Marvin songs before flying back to Baltimore to complete their engagement.
    Last edited by reese; 10-03-2020 at 10:34 PM.

I had another collection on Marvin Gaye called A Musical Testament 1964-1984. Released in 1988, the CD had the 'overdubbed' versions on "Lonely Lover" & "Loving And Affection" from the Motown Remembers Marvin Gaye set. IMHO both songs were great [[and worthy of release as singles or LPs cuts during the '60s) but, I didn't care for the overdubs which tried to 'update' the music for the late '80s. I was so glad that the songs came eventually out in their original mixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I had another collection on Marvin Gaye called A Musical Testament 1964-1984. Released in 1988, the CD had the 'overdubbed' versions on "Lonely Lover" & "Loving And Affection" from the Motown Remembers Marvin Gaye set. IMHO both songs were great [[and worthy of release as singles or LPs cuts during the '60s) but, I didn't care for the overdubs which tried to 'update' the music for the late '80s. I was so glad that the songs came eventually out in their original mixes.

Trying to get my head around this [[and that's not easy) so Lonely Lover was released on the Motown Remembers with overdubs, and original strings and on the master without the overdubs and without strings. So that leads me to believe that the original version with strings and no overdubs has not been out - follow me? Or am I wrong?

Lonely Lover [[Brian Holland-Lamont Dozier-Edward Holland Jr) published Jobete 15-Apr-65
    UICY-Lonely Lover [[Brian Holland-Lamont Dozier-Edward Holland Jr) published Jobete 15-Apr-65Four Tops; recorded Hitsville-GW, completed 07-Sep-67 ; produced by Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier

23-Mar-98; CD [[M): Debutante 530 814 2 This Is Northern Soul! Volume 2 [UK]
    02-May-05; CD [[M): Motown 067 024 2 This Is Northern Soul! The Motown Sound Volume 1 [UK]
    25-May-05; CD [[S): Hip-O Select B0003626-02 Lost Without You: Motown Lost And Found [stereo]

Marvin Gaye; recorded Hitsville, completed 19-Jan-65 ; produced by Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier ; [1st odb]
    29-Jan-65 [acetate]; LP [[M): Q HBM-0179-NN1
    29-Jan-65 [acetate]; LP [[M): Q HBM-0179-NN1
    31-Jan-65 [acetate]; 45 [[M): CBMN 0166-NH1
    25-Apr-95; CD [[M): Motown 530 492 2 The Master 1961-1984

Marvin Gaye; recorded Hitsville, completed 29-Jan-65 ; produced by Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier ; [2nd odb [[strings)]
    Mar-86; LP [[S): Motown 6172 Motown Remembers Marvin Gaye [with overdubs added 1986]

26-May-09; CD: Motown UICY-94127 Motown Remembers Marvin Gaye [with overdubs added 1986] [Japan]
    94127 Motown Remembers Marvin Gaye [with overdubs added 1986] [Japan]
    Last edited by SatansBlues; 10-12-2020 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Trying to get my head around this [[and that's not easy) so Lonely Lover was released on the Motown Remembers with overdubs, and original strings and on the master without the overdubs and without strings. So that leads me to believe that the original version with strings and no overdubs has not been out - follow me? Or am I wrong?
    Perhaps a track for COM6 Paul please

Perhaps a track for COM6 Paul please
    I'd definitely love to have "That's The Way It Goes" as a candidate as well

Oh yes! I second that emotion
    Lol