[REMOVE ADS]

Aretha Franklin / Aretha 4CD box set 11/20/2020

NEWS

Aretha Franklin / Aretha 4CD box set

Four CD box offers unreleased rarities • Remastered
    Rhino will issue Aretha, a new Aretha Franklin four-CD box set that collects hits, alternate versions, demos, rarities and live tracks.

Arranged mostly in chronological order, Aretha features 81 newly remastered tracks, 19 of which are previously unreleased. This set starts way back in 1956 with ‘Never Grow Old’ and ‘You Grow Closer’ which were released as her first single, before moving into the 1960s, when Franklin was signed to Columbia.

However, the majority of Aretha focuses on her tenure with Atlantic Records between 1967 and 1979. ‘My Kind Of Town [[Detroit Is)’ and ‘Try A Little Tenderness’ from CD 1 are home demos that she recorded in 1966 to give Atlantic executive and producer Jerry Wexler.

The box set includes the hits but often these are included as different versions, like alternate takes of ‘Chain Of Fools’, ‘Rock Steady’ and ‘Spanish Harlem’; live recordings of ‘Baby I Love You’ and ‘Don’t Play That Song’; and ‘Think’ recorded for The Blues Brothers soundtrack.
    The Arista era isn’t forgotten and this set includes ‘Jump To It’, ‘Freeway Of Love’ and collaborations like ‘Sisters Are Doin’ It For Themselves’ with Eurythmics and ‘I Knew You Were Waiting [[For Me)’ with George Michael.
    Aretha ends with her memorable performance of ‘[[You Make Me Feel) Like A Natural Woman’ at The 38th Annual Kennedy Center Honors in 2015.
    This set comes with a booklet with sleeve notes by Rochelle Riley [[author and director of arts and culture for the City of Detroit) and David Nathan, a music journalist and soul historian who interviewed Franklin more times than any other living writer.
    Aretha is released on 20 November 2020 via Rhino and 2LP and single CD ‘highlights’ versions are also available.

Track listings for Aretha:

CD 1
    “Never Grow Old”
    “You Grow Closer”
    “Today I Sing The Blues”
    “Won’t Be Long”
    “Are You Sure”
    “Operation Heartbreak”
    “Skylark”
    “Runnin’ Out Of Fools”
    “One Step Ahead”
    “[[No, No) I’m Losing You”
    “Cry Like A Baby”
    “A Little Bit Of Soul”
    “My Kind Of Town [[Detroit Is)” – Demo *
    “Try A Little Tenderness” – Demo *
    “I Never Loved A Man [[The Way I Love You)”
    “Do Right Woman – Do Right Man”
    “Respect”
    “A Change Is Gonna Come”
    “Chain Of Fools” – Alternate Version
    “[[I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” – UK Single Version
    “[[Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You’ve Been Gone”
    “Ain’t No Way”
    “My Song”
    “You Send Me”
    “The House That Jack Built”
    “Tracks Of My Tears”

CD 2
    “Baby I Love You” – Live
    “Son Of A Preacher Man”
    “Call Me” – Alternate Version *
    “Let It Be”
    “Young, Gifted And Black” – Alternate Longer Take *
    “Bridge Over Troubled Water” – Long Version
    “It’s Not Unusual/See Saw” – with Tom Jones *
    [[Originally Broadcast On This Is Tom Jones, October, 9, 1970)
    “You’re All I Need To Get By” – Work Tape *
    “Brand New Me” – Work Tape *
    “Spanish Harlem” – Alternate Mix *
    “Rock Steady” – Alternate Mix/Take
    “Day Dreaming”
    “Share Your Love With Me” – Live
    “Don’t Play That Song” – Live
    “Dr. Feelgood” – Live
    “Spirit In The Dark” [[Reprise with Ray Charles) – Live
    “How I Got Over” [[Single Edit) – Live
    “Master Of Eyes [[The Deepness Of Your Eyes)”

CD 3
    “Somewhere” – Alternate Version *
    “Angel” – Work Tape *
    “The Boy From Bombay” *
    “Til It’s Over” – Demo *
    “Oh Baby” [[a.k.a. “There’s Something Magic About You”) – Demo *
    “Until You Come Back To Me” – Work Tape *
    “I’m In Love” – Alternate Vocal
    “Without Love”
    “Mr. D.J. [[5 For The D.J.)”
    “You”
    “Something He Can Feel”
    “Look Into Your Heart”
    “Break It To Me Gently”
    “When I Think About You”
    “Almighty Fire [[Woman Of The Future)”
    “Ladies Only” – Short Version
    “You Light Up My Life” *
    “Ooo Baby Baby” – with Smokey Robinson *
    [[Originally Broadcast On Soul Train, December 1, 1979)
    “Amazing Grace”
    [[Originally Broadcast On Royal Variety Performance, November 23, 1980)

CD 4
    “Think”
    “I Say A Little Prayer” – with Dionne Warwick *
    “United Together”
    “Jump To It”
    “The Wind”
    “Freeway Of Love”
    “Sisters Are Doin’ It For Themselves” – Eurythmics & Aretha Franklin
    “I Knew You Were Waiting [[For Me) – Aretha Franklin and George Michael
    “Oh Happy Day” – with Mavis Staples [[Live at New Bethel Baptist Church, Detroit, MI –
    July 1987)
    “A Rose Is Still A Rose”
    “Someday We’ll All Be Free”
    “The Makings Of You”
    “Nessun Dorma” – Live
    “At Last” – with Lou Rawls *
    [[Originally Broadcast On American Soundtrack: Rhythm, Love And Soul, March 2003)
    “You’ve Got A Friend” – Ronald Isley featuring Aretha Franklin
    “Rolling In The Deep” – The Aretha Version
    “My Country ’Tis Of Thee”
    “[[You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman” – Live *
    [[Originally Broadcast On The 38th Annual Kennedy Center Honors, December 19. 2015)

ARETHA [[HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE BOXED SET)
    2-LP vinyl [[same track listing on a single CD)
    Side One
    “Never Grow Old”
    “Today I Sing The Blues”
    “One Step Ahead”
    “I Never Loved A Man [[The Way I Love You)”
    “A Change Is Gonna Come”

Side Two
    “Respect”
    “Chain Of Fools” – Alternate Version
    “Call Me” – Alternate Version *
    “Rock Steady” – Alternate Mix/Take
    “How I Got Over” [[Single Edit) – Live

Side Three
    “Master Of Eyes [[The Deepness Of Your Eyes)”
    “Until You Come Back To Me” – Work Tape *
    “Something He Can Feel”
    “You Light Up My Life” *
    “Think”

Side Four
    “Freeway Of Love”
    “I Knew You Were Waiting [[For Me) – Aretha Franklin and George Michael
    “Someday We’ll All Be Free”
    “A Rose Is Still A Rose”
    “[[You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman” – Live*
    [[Originally Broadcast On The 38th Annual Kennedy Center Honors 12/19/15)

*Previously Unreleased Audio

This is an exciting development. However, I am disappointed to see that this set is not a re-release of the albums With Everything I Feel in Me, You, Sweet Passion, Almighty Fire and La Diva, none of which have ever had a proper U.S. CD release. Get with the program, Franklin estate!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    This is an exciting development. However, I am disappointed to see that this set is not a re-release of the albums With Everything I Feel in Me, You, Sweet Passion, Almighty Fire and La Diva, none of which have ever had a proper U.S. CD release. Get with the program, Franklin estate!!!!
    This is a labour of love by David Nathan who was a friend of Aretha for over 40 years. As regards the 4 albums you mentioned it was Aretha herself who was not happy with the way those albums turned out, and it was Aretha herself who voiced her objections to them being remastered for cd release. The estate are merely honouring her wishes, but having said all that money talks, so don't be too surprised if they do turn up as a boxset before too long......

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    This is a labour of love by David Nathan who was a friend of Aretha for over 40 years. As regards the 4 albums you mentioned it was Aretha herself who was not happy with the way those albums turned out, and it was Aretha herself who voiced her objections to them being remastered for cd release. The estate are merely honouring her wishes, but having said all that money talks, so don't be too surprised if they do turn up as a boxset before too long......
    Yes, I was aware of Aretha’s displeasure at those 5 LPs, but hadn’t she almost reached a deal to re-release them in recent years and backed out at the last minute?
    Last edited by sansradio; 09-30-2020 at 04:55 PM.

My surprise with this set is the absence of See Saw, which I thought was a great take on the song and even somewhat of a hit. Of course I have it on other collections so no big deal but just surprised nevertheless.

Yes, I was aware of Aretha’s displeasure at those 5 LPs, but hadn’t she almost reached a deal to re-release them in recent years and backed out at the last minute?
    Yes she did back out at the last moment, and that is the main reason why they have not been issued - yet.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    My surprise with this set is the absence of See Saw, which I thought was a great take on the song and even somewhat of a hit. Of course I have it on other collections so no big deal but just surprised nevertheless.
    You would have to direct your question to David Nathan. It is his own personal collection of favorites alongside a few rarities.

It was actually a million-selling gold single. But looking at the lineup, it seems they are trying to distinguish this set from the two other boxed sets that have already been released by including rarities like the tv spots, alternate versions, etc.

Yes she did back out at the last moment, and that is the main reason why they have not been issued - yet.
    Interesting, Mr. B. Would be [[somewhat ...) interesting to know why. No one is a bigger fan of the lady than I [[as big, sure, bigger? Nyet) but even I can say that Aretha's business instincts were a tad ... whatever. There was SUCH a rush of joy when the final Atlantic lps were to finally be released on Aretha's Records. Then ... nothing. 'Twas then, and ever shall be, in Aretha World!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Interesting, Mr. B. Would be [[somewhat ...) interesting to know why. No one is a bigger fan of the lady than I [[as big, sure, bigger? Nyet) but even I can say that Aretha's business instincts were a tad ... whatever. There was SUCH a rush of joy when the final Atlantic lps were to finally be released on Aretha's Records. Then ... nothing. 'Twas then, and ever shall be, in Aretha World!
    I remember reading an article that mentioned a deal had been made to release those final Atlantic lps, each with bonus tracks. Maybe Aretha didn't get the $$ she wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I remember reading an article that mentioned a deal had been made to release those final Atlantic lps, each with bonus tracks. Maybe Aretha didn't get the $$ she wanted.
    That was the unstated reason behind the delayed release of the Amazing Grace video which had an injunction issued just prior to a premiere at the 2015 Telluride Film Festival. The legal basis for the injunction was that Ms Franklin did not consent for the film to use her name, image, or likeness. The judge held that the quitclaim deed, through which the rights to the footage shot by Sydney Pollack were transferred from Warner Bros to Allen Elliot, prohibited broadcasting of the footage without such consent from Ms Franklin. Mr Elliott synched the footage to the recordings.

In order to properly get an injunction Ms Franklin needed to show not only that she had a significant chance at succeeding in the lawsuit, but also that the broadcast of the film caused her irreparable harm that monetary damages would not adequately address.

After Mr Elliot received the rights to Pollack’s footage from Warner Bros. and attempted to premiere the film in 2011, Ms Franklin sued and the parties eventually settled.

https://blog.jipel.law.nyu.edu/2015/...amazing-grace/

If David Nathan has a stereo mix of My Song on this package, it truly is a rarity that has never appeared on CD. FM radio in NYC played a poorly mixed stereo version of the recording as a two-sided hit with See Saw.

Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    That was the unstated reason behind the delayed release of the Amazing Grace video which had an injunction issued just prior to a premiere at the 2015 Telluride Film Festival. The legal basis for the injunction was that Ms Franklin did not consent for the film to use her name, image, or likeness. The judge held that the quitclaim deed, through which the rights to the footage shot by Sydney Pollack were transferred from Warner Bros to Allen Elliot, prohibited broadcasting of the footage without such consent from Ms Franklin. Mr Elliott synched the footage to the recordings.

In order to properly get an injunction Ms Franklin needed to show not only that she had a significant chance at succeeding in the lawsuit, but also that the broadcast of the film caused her irreparable harm that monetary damages would not adequately address.

After Mr Elliot received the rights to Pollack’s footage from Warner Bros. and attempted to premiere the film in 2011, Ms Franklin sued and the parties eventually settled.

https://blog.jipel.law.nyu.edu/2015/...amazing-grace/

If David Nathan has a stereo mix of My Song on this package, it truly is a rarity that has never appeared on CD. FM radio in NYC played a poorly mixed stereo version of the recording as a two-sided hit with See Saw.
    I do believe there are around 19 tracks new to cd on this collection. There would have been more, but the dreaded licensing issues reared their ugly heads.

At the Rhino website you can listen to My Kind Of Town

Totally agree. That was my first thought when I read the announcement of this box set this morning.

I would guess that $ is indeed the reason, Reese. I think that like many heritage artists Aretha did not have a realistic vision of the monetary value of her material. Sad for the fans, for sure.

There was a day, I think that peaked in the 1990's, where this stuff would have been worth so much more.

I was just looking at the tracklisting again, and as great as this set looks, is anyone really gonna fork out money to buy this because it has "Freeway of Love", "Jump To It" and the usual lineup of hits on it? The main attraction here are the rarities and unreleased songs, so it would have been better IMO to include only rarities and unreleased tracks. I guess they wanted this to be marketed as the first 'career spanning' box, in order to hopefully appeal to others outside of the hardcore fan base, and generate more sales. As much as I am complaining, I feel it will be difficult for me to resist purchasing it.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I was just looking at the tracklisting again, and as great as this set looks, is anyone really gonna fork out money to buy this because it has "Freeway of Love", "Jump To It" and the usual lineup of hits on it? The main attraction here are the rarities and unreleased songs, so it would have been better IMO to include only rarities and unreleased tracks. I guess they wanted this to be marketed as the first 'career spanning' box, in order to hopefully appeal to others outside of the hardcore fan base, and generate more sales. As much as I am complaining, I feel it will be difficult for me to resist purchasing it.
    David Nathan started work on this collection prior to Aretha's passing. I am sure she would have approved of it. Had she been in better health i am sure she would have had some involvement in it. It is worth buying for the booklet alone, and i am sure it will be well supported.
    We can pick holes in it all day long, but i for one welcome it. There are others in the pipeline as i have stated previously, so we have much to look forward to.

At this stage, for me, when it comes to collections such as these, I buy them more for the packaging and the notes as opposed to the music itself. I have all of the hits and album tracks already, plus many of the rarities. But it is nice to have them all in a new set.

I'm with you Reese. The packaging and the degree of rarity is what makes collections like this valuable investments, not just CDs you want to listen to. So this could well increase in value as the years go by.

However, it still comes down to the question of how much any one individual can afford to buy and who worships who the most. So in my case, as great as Aretha was, I feel as if I have enough already by her and that there are other artists for whom I would jump right in.

With that in mind, I do look forward to whatever may be forthcoming as well as the several projects that we are already expecting by the end of the year.

I'm with you Reese. The packaging and the degree of rarity is what makes collections like this valuable investments, not just CDs you want to listen to. So this could well increase in value as the years go by.

However, it still comes down to the question of how much any one individual can afford to buy and who worships who the most. So in my case, as great as Aretha was, I feel as if I have enough already by her and that there are other artists for whom I would jump right in.

With that in mind, I do look forward to whatever may be forthcoming as well as the several projects that we are already expecting by the end of the year.
    A very valid point.

For me, there are some artists where a greatest hits collection and a live album will suffice. However, there are also artists, and Aretha is one, from whom I want to have EVERYTHING they have. So even if I have 30 other copies of RESPECT, I will buy another.

With this set, as I said above, I do think the compilers tried to distinguish it from previous ones with rarities like the tv appearances and the unheard 1967 demos, etc. For many people, their last image of Aretha is her singing NATURAL WOMAN for the Carole King tribute at the Kennedy Center Honors. Having it as the closing track here was a great idea.
    Last edited by reese; 10-03-2020 at 12:07 PM.

A very valid point.

For me, there are some artists where a greatest hits collection and a live album will suffice. However, there are also artists, and Aretha is one, from whom I want to have EVERYTHING they have. So even if I have 30 other copies of RESPECT, I will buy another.

With this set, as I said above, I do think the compilers tried to distinguish it from previous ones with rarities like the tv appearances and the unheard 1967 demos, etc. For many people, their last image of Aretha is her singing NATURAL WOMAN for the Carole King tribute at the Kennedy Center Honors. Having it as the closing track here was a great idea.
    Yes, the Kennedy Center NW was a great, great career-capper for my girl Aretha. A perfect performance, the lady looked sensational, she brought President Obama to tears and seemed genuinely moved by the audience reaction. The inclusion here is a master-stroke of programming.

David Nathan started work on this collection prior to Aretha's passing. I am sure she would have approved of it. Had she been in better health i am sure she would have had some involvement in it. It is worth buying for the booklet alone, and i am sure it will be well supported.
    We can pick holes in it all day long, but i for one welcome it. There are others in the pipeline as i have stated previously, so we have much to look forward to.
    That's good to hear, Mr. B. I still hope for the complete 'final 4' from Atlantic, and a re-release of the 'Take a Look' set would be welcome as it is out of print and I missed out on it.

I also recall reading that Aretha felt Atlantic Records did not offer her enough for the CD releases of her final five albums. Some years back I found this albums released in CD format being offered on eBay from an Eastern
    European source. They appeared legit and the remastering was good. It would be great if they would become moe widely available, because Aretha fans know, even her weaker albums had several brilliant tracks!

According to Amazon, the box set's release date has been delayed from this month to July 30, 2021, likely because of the delayed Aretha biopic release date, which is also deferred to next summer. It makes sense that they would want the release to coincide with the movie.

According to Amazon, the box set's release date has been delayed from this month to July 30, 2021, likely because of the delayed Aretha biopic release date, which is also deferred to next summer. It makes sense that they would want the release to coincide with the movie.
    Gosh, that is a long delay even if it does make sense. I assume Rhino will send this info and offer refunds to those who ordered from them.

I was not likely to buy this anyway, but I am actually pleased to hear that ANY CD's will still be released that far into the future.

Doggonit!!! Well, time to update the old Christmas list...

Time to get back to this release then!Name:  81uPSvoHZIL._SL1425_.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  90.7 KBName:  619pkJcLTUL.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  64.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Love this one!

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Yes, this was, and remains, a great collection of r & u Aretha.

Considering this breaking news of the delay, I assume most product is already printed and packaged. But if not, maybe the delay leaves time for more rarities to be found and included? Looking at the glass half-full, you know.

I was not likely to buy this anyway, but I am actually pleased to hear that ANY CD's will still be released that far into the future.
    Are you buying the new Dame Shirley Bassey CD, David?