[REMOVE ADS]

Kenny Carter "Showdown: The Complete 1966 RCA Recordings" [[Kent UK) 25-09-2020

Description
    A scintillating, multi-million dollar LP finally gets a release 54 years late.

The massively admired Kenny Carter had three sides issued on RCA in 1966 but actually recorded 22. Those singles and some previously unreleased tracks have made him a cult figure among soul connoisseurs. At last, we have the complete RCA sessions for you.

Kenny Carter had two workmanlike 45s issued in the early 60s, to no success. For some unknown reason, in 1965 RCA decided to put him into the large Studio A at Bell Sound in Manhattan with one of the top arrangers of the time, a twenty-plus piece orchestra and four top backing vocalists. Three 45s were issued between April and October 1966, none of them charted but the sessions continued with a view to issuing an LP in November. It never happened.

The arranger Garry Sherman remembered it as a “a multimillion-dollar orchestra and chorus. In the violin section we had at least 7-8 Strads [[each valued at $1,000,000+), many were Concertmeisters for major symphony orchestras and are on hundreds of hit records.” Backing singers included Val Simpson, Nik Ashford, Leslie Miller and Toni Wine; several excellent songs were provided by Larry Banks’ song-writing team, which included Kenny, Tony May and Herman Kelley.

However, it was the additional jazz and show standards that gave the album its raison d’etre. Garry Sherman wanted to move the songs into the current soul idiom, rather than turn Kenny into a nightclub singer. He moulded the arrangements to suit Kenny’s powerful vocals. Fortuitously, RCA hired a photographer for the sessions and we have eight shots that show the recordings as they happened.

We have had access to the tapes since the 90s but have only managed to release six of the unissued recordings in a piecemeal fashion, up to now. The full 22 tracks here vary from ballads to uptempo dancers. That voice, supported by such an intelligently utilised orchestra, make it a true, as yet unknown, pinnacle of 60s soul music.

Tracklist
    1. Every Time We Say Goodbye
    2. You'd Better Get Hip Girl
    3. I've Gotta Find Her
    4. I Still Love Her
    5. I Believe In You
    6. Time After Time
    7. Don't Go
    8. Showdown
    9. My Love
    10. Living In The Land Of Heartaches
    11. Like A Big Bad Rain
    12. What's That On Your Finger
    13. Round In Circles
    14. I've Gotta Get Myself Together
    15. Body And Soul
    16. How Can You Say Goodbye
    17. Lights Out
    18. I'll Know
    19. I'm Not The One
    20. I'll Get By [[As Long As I Have You)
    21. I Can't Stop Laughing
    22. Smile

I have never heard of Kenny Carter or any of these songs, but this sounds really good!!

A really excellent album. Kenny has one of those big voices of 60's soul, and his power and phrasing sit above beautiful rich orchestral arrangements without falling into MOR grounds. In addition to a whole lot of great recordings, there is a comprehensive booklet giving you all you need to know about this relatively unknown singer.

I f you haven't heard Kenny Carter, think of Walter Jackson territory......if you like Walter, you'll definitely love Kenny Carter.

It's a lovely cd. Great production on a strong set of songs with some soulful and powerful vocals. I can highly recommend this cd.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it Blue brock. Sorry to learn today of your health issues and really hope all is working out well for you. Vey kind regards

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Glad to hear you are enjoying it Blue brock. Sorry to learn today of your health issues and really hope all is working out well for you. Vey kind regards

Mike
    Thank you so much Mike. It is an ongoing fight , but a fight i will win. I have way too much to do before i leave my family and friends.
    Thank you again for your kindness.

This announcement just blew me away - I had no idea there was this much Kenny Carter material waiting to be let loose. I 100% agree with MIKEW-UK about the comparison to Walter Jackson. Both singers have this crazy ability to jump from singing calm and smooth to exploding with some surprising raw energy, and they could switch between the two immediately. This tune was my introduction to Kenny Carter, his version of the song better know by Willie Kendrick:

My favourite
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh43L8iqybw

Kenny well known to Northern/Rare Soul fans...excellent ...