[REMOVE ADS]

The four tops- the girl from ipanema

A rare clip from Mike Douglas. Same episode where they performed 7- ROOMS OF GLOOM, SHAKE ME, WAKE ME & THE LOOK OF LOVE

https://youtu.be/QROpYaj6ung

Anyone know an air date for these?

https://www.imdb.com/

lists appearances of the Four Tops on the Mike Douglas Show on April 8, 1969; April 24, 1969, May 27, 1970 .

But Shake Me, Wake Me was performed on the Mike Douglas Show on November 21, 1967..

More detailed information about the May 1970 show is recorded here:

https://louisarmstrong.pastperfecton...1-181075707260

But it is interesting that the Tops recorded The Girl From Ipanema in 1964 and the studio version was vaulted. It was used in live performances and appears on the 1966 Four Tops Live album.

Thanks, Lucky. I'd say November 21, 1967 sounds about right.

This is November 21, 1967

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    https://www.imdb.com/

lists appearances of the Four Tops on the Mike Douglas Show on April 8, 1969; April 24, 1969, May 27, 1970 .

But Shake Me, Wake Me was performed on the Mike Douglas Show on November 21, 1967..

More detailed information about the May 1970 show is recorded here:

https://louisarmstrong.pastperfecton...1-181075707260
    I'm so curious about what they performed in 1969.

April 8. 1969. "Do What You Gotta Do", "Little Green Apples" and "Eleanor Rigby"
    April 24. 1969."Sunny" and "Climb Ev`ry Mountain"

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    April 8. 1969. "Do What You Gotta Do", "Little Green Apples" and "Eleanor Rigby"
    April 24. 1969."Sunny" and "Climb Ev`ry Mountain"
    What? How'd you find that out? That'd be incredible to see.

I have copies of these performances.

I have copies of these performances.
    Incredible. Anyway you could upload?

Four Tops are my favourite male act from Motown. I hardly ever listen to the other male singers from Motown but I never liked them singing songs like girl from ipanema and the look of love. I do like their cover versions of the Monkey's songs. Wonder why they covered so many of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulmusic4life View Post
    Incredible. Anyway you could upload?
    I have copied these for you Soulmusic drop your postal address in my box and I`ll get them away tomorrow.

I have copied these for you Soulmusic drop your postal address in my box and I`ll get them away tomorrow.
    Thank you so much. 3875 Hillsboro Dr.
    Apt. B, Beavercreek, Ohio,. 45431

Quote Originally Posted by Soulmusic4life View Post
    Thank you so much. 3875 Hillsboro Dr.
    Apt. B, Beavercreek, Ohio,. 45431
    To whom do I address it?

To whom do I address it?
    Ian wysor. Sorry about that

Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    Four Tops are my favourite male act from Motown. I hardly ever listen to the other male singers from Motown but I never liked them singing songs like girl from ipanema and the look of love. I do like their cover versions of the Monkey's songs. Wonder why they covered so many of them.
    Looking backwards at their career, we wonder why the Four Tops and other Motown groups did all these covers. This is where knowing the context of the times helps to understand some of this stuff. I think it was in the booklet that comes with the Four Tops Lost and Found set, the subject of covers came up. It was explained that those cover songs really helped to broaden the Four Tops audience base. Now, to us, that may not seem all important, but back then that is were Motown excelled at cracking those all-important sales numbers. Broaden your audience and you can play the bigger clubs and concert halls and such. That means you command a higher appearance fee as well. Now, if one of the Four Tops is telling me that himself, then I have to figure there was a definite method going on. It was even explained that was why so many original Motown songs were left off their albums.

You can say you don't get it. You can say baloney. You can say I wouldda left the covers off or whatever, but keep in mind, this sort of thing was going on at nearly every record company at the time. It wasn't just a Motown thing. Unless you were The Beatles or James Brown and could basically tell everyone to kiss your azz, you did covers of popular tunes to get the attention of record buyers who might normally not buy your music.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Looking backwards at their career, we wonder why the Four Tops and other Motown groups did all these covers. This is where knowing the context of the times helps to understand some of this stuff. I think it was in the booklet that comes with the Four Tops Lost and Found set, the subject of covers came up. It was explained that those cover songs really helped to broaden the Four Tops audience base. Now, to us, that may not seem all important, but back then that is were Motown excelled at cracking those all-important sales numbers. Broaden your audience and you can play the bigger clubs and concert halls and such. That means you command a higher appearance fee as well. Now, if one of the Four Tops is telling me that himself, then I have to figure there was a definite method going on. It was even explained that was why so many original Motown songs were left off their albums.

You can say you don't get it. You can say baloney. You can say I wouldda left the covers off or whatever, but keep in mind, this sort of thing was going on at nearly every record company at the time. It wasn't just a Motown thing. Unless you were The Beatles or James Brown and could basically tell everyone to kiss your azz, you did covers of popular tunes to get the attention of record buyers who might normally not buy your music.
    Absolutely. Those fantastic original songs should have been first priority. No excuse for those masterpieces to be left in the vaults.

Thank you so so much. Watching now.🧡♥️💜

My pleasure Ian.