[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    As far as we know she wanted Quincy Jones to produce her first LP, and it’s because of schedule impossibilities she went to produce WDFFIL by herself. Who says it’s because Quincy was expensive she decided to do without him. This LP was probably expensive to produce, maybe more than diana. So I’m not saying that money issues were not important for her at that time, but I have a hard time accepting the idea that she is wealthy because she saved money in the making of this LP. It’s a mediocre one because she had no capacity or ethic to do the job. Lazy vocals are not less expensive to record than crisp one.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    As far as we know she wanted Quincy Jones to produce her first LP, and it’s because of schedule impossibilities she went to produce WDFFIL by herself. Who says it’s because Quincy was expensive she decided to do without him. This LP was probably expensive to produce, maybe more than diana. So I’m not saying that money issues were not important for her at that time, but I have a hard time accepting the idea that she is wealthy because she saved money in the making of this LP. It’s a mediocre one because she had no capacity or ethic to do the job. Lazy vocals are not less expensive to record than crisp one.
    now that use of the word lazy i'll agree with. many of her self-produced vocals are lazy. she just didn't have the passion or drive as she did when a great and strong producer was at the helm.

I agree, it would be rather silly to suggest she became a rich woman simply by cutting down on recording costs. As already mentioned, a 20 million dollar recording contract and wise investments took care of that. She could I’m sure have easily found another producer for WDFIL but chose not to. Silk Electric was comprised mostly of rejects from the WDFFIL sessions. It’s lack of quality speaks volumes, yet it was released. To me that would indicate that on occasion she was happy to cut costs when the opportunity presented itself. The casualty being the quality of the music.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i think lazy is a bit harsh of a description. maybe frugal and preoccupied might be better
    I agree. Lazy is not a word I would ever associate with Diana Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I agree, it would be rather silly to suggest she became a rich woman simply by cutting down on recording costs. As already mentioned, a 20 million dollar recording contract and wise investments took care of that. She could I’m sure have easily found another producer for WDFIL but chose not to. Silk Electric was comprised mostly of rejects from the WDFFIL sessions. It’s lack of quality speaks volumes, yet it was released. To me that would indicate that on occasion she was happy to cut costs when the opportunity presented itself. The casualty being the quality of the music.
    Yes, I agree. But this tend to show that she had little idea about what her fans wanted at that time, or that she over estimated her capacities, or both.
    Maybe she was in this Manhattan Super Woman mood and thought she could do it all. Sing, perform, produce, sell perfumes, ready to wear, be an actress, a mother and all...

Is it a known fact that many tracks for Silk Electric were rejects from Fools?

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    i've wondered about SE being rejects from WDFFIL. I'd love to get the data on the recording dates and see what was done when.

I believe Bluebrock has mentioned that there are a couple of tunes from Ross 83 that were unreleased. What about the others? Fight For It missed the SA album but was on the 45. did EA or Red Hot have many canned tracks? in the interest of being spend thrift, i'm not surprised that there aren't lots of canned materials. that's wasted studio expenses

also i wouldn't be surprised if there weren't many takes of the songs. clearly many of her self-produced vocals as less than inspired. i can't image her doing them again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i've wondered about SE being rejects from WDFFIL. I'd love to get the data on the recording dates and see what was done when.

I believe Bluebrock has mentioned that there are a couple of tunes from Ross 83 that were unreleased. What about the others? Fight For It missed the SA album but was on the 45. did EA or Red Hot have many canned tracks? in the interest of being spend thrift, i'm not surprised that there aren't lots of canned materials. that's wasted studio expenses

also i wouldn't be surprised if there weren't many takes of the songs. clearly many of her self-produced vocals as less than inspired. i can't image her doing them again and again.
    In the Discography of J. Randy's last book on Diana, he mentioned that Tom Dowd produced a track for TRY A LITTLE TENDERNESS that he wanted Diana to do for RHRAB but she wasn't happy with it and didn't finish the vocal. I don't recall him mentioning any other unreleased material from the RCA years.

I would suspect that after Diana became in control of her finances and realized how much she had to pay for all of those unreleased sessions at Motown that she wouldn't be prone to make such a mistake at RCA.

Yes, I agree.
    Maybe she was in this Manhattan Super Woman mood and thought she could do it all. Sing, perform, produce, sell perfumes, ready to wear, be an actress, a mother and all...
    With the exception of trying her hand at producing, i would say she did rather well.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In the Discography of J. Randy's last book on Diana, he mentioned that Tom Dowd produced a track for TRY A LITTLE TENDERNESS that he wanted Diana to do for RHRAB but she wasn't happy with it and didn't finish the vocal. I don't recall him mentioning any other unreleased material from the RCA years.

I would suspect that after Diana became in control of her finances and realized how much she had to pay for all of those unreleased sessions at Motown that she wouldn't be prone to make such a mistake at RCA.
    I agree 100% reese.