[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mirror Mirror- your thoughts

So please forgive if this song has been discussed before, but I've always wondered how others felt about this one. I could not explain for the life of me why, but this one has always been a favorite. In general, I'm one of those bullheaded folks who seems to be stuck only on 60's Motown/60's Diana Ross. But this one really captured my soul. I wouldn't even say it's representative of Diana's best 80's work [[but maybe others will say I'm wrong. I'll happily eat plenty of crow!) Maybe it's because this song came out during an especially happy time in my teenage years. They were playing this night and day in Houston, Texas at the time so I heard it a lot and loved it instantly. So what are your thoughts about this one?

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    So please forgive if this song has been discussed before, but I've always wondered how others felt about this one. I could not explain for the life of me why, but this one has always been a favorite. In general, I'm one of those bullheaded folks who seems to be stuck only on 60's Motown/60's Diana Ross. But this one really captured my soul. I wouldn't even say it's representative of Diana's best 80's work [[but maybe others will say I'm wrong. I'll happily eat plenty of crow!) Maybe it's because this song came out during an especially happy time in my teenage years. They were playing this night and day in Houston, Texas at the time so I heard it a lot and loved it instantly. So what are your thoughts about this one?
    I immediately loved Mirror, Mirror from the first time I played the WDFFIL album; it was the standout track for me. And Diana always rocked this song in concert in the eighties. BTW, it was also being played night and day in Dallas...

I loved it and it was kind of cool hearing Diana singing rock....at least since you keep me hanging on

One of the best songs from her RCA years and definitely a standout on that WDFFIL album. I knew it would be a hit the first time I heard it. She doesn't perform it in concert often nowadays and I miss it. Her performance of it in Central Park was one of her best that day.

I never loved Mirror Mirror.

Also, “knew how she felt, same as me,”....... for years and years I thought she said “A new Chevette, same as me.”

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    I immediately loved Mirror, Mirror from the first time I played the WDFFIL album; it was the standout track for me. And Diana always rocked this song in concert in the eighties. BTW, it was also being played night and day in Dallas...
    Good to know I'm in good company on this one! I never tire of listening to it! Also didn't know she did this in her concerts.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Good to know I'm in good company on this one! I never tire of listening to it! Also didn't know she did this in her concerts.
    Mirror, Mirror typically closed the first act of Diana’s eighties concerts, with the band continuing the groove as Diana exited the stage leaving the audience up, dancing and ready for more. Search YouTube for the Central Park Mirror, Mirror performance and you’ll get a good idea...

This is a great song, great lyrics and great performance by Diana. She did it like a crazy woman in CP, I love how she treated her microphone badly.

The single cut could have been better produced

I have always liked the song but felt that it would have been improved by being a bit more up tempo.

A great vocal performance by Diana though!

I remember reading a review where they said the songs was just a hair to slow. I think it went well with the new image Diana was trying to create at the time, eager to reveal a more raunchy persona.
    From a personal perspective il think it rather boring, although one of the better songs from a rather uninspiring album.

At the time the WDFFIL album was not well received. Coming straight after the wonderful ballads of late 80, early 81, « It’s My Turn » and « Endless Love », the first two singles, « Why Do Fools » and « Mirror Mirror », couldn’t have been worse. A cheesy cover and a silly pop rock effort. But everyone accepted that she had had to put something, anything out, with only three months to do it [[June 81, when she signed the RCA deal and September, when she was obliged to hand over the masters and cover art). If she had followed it up with something properly produced, by either Michael Jackson or Quincy Jones, all would have been forgiven. Little did we know, she had decided that the days of a man telling her what to do in the studio were over!

One of my favorite songs of Ross' RCA years. She sings the song very well with a strong voice, some of her songs in the RCA years were not as a good and her voice could sound muddy and muted in the mix[[like Muscles). Very exciting song. It could perhaps be slightly tweaked but nonetheless one of her better efforts during that period, reminiscent of No One Gets The Prize a few years earlier in how she attacks it vocally. I liked the song.

The lyrics stink. They are too abstruse and pretentious. How does a mirror convert someone's life into a paperback novel? How does a mirror nail someone's heart to the wall? I don't understand or relate to whatever it is the lyrics describe. Maybe the composer had just listened to The Beatles' Paperback Writer or just read Oscar Wilde's The Portrait of Dorian Gray. Maybe the composer was angry and embarrassed, having just slipped on a banana peel in full view of the town's know-it-all. Maybe the composer's next-door neighbor complained that she missed seeing that tumble as her eyes are old and tired. It's a compendium of random nothingness and clumsy cliche. If the composer happened to have had an eggplant calzone for lunch, there may have been mention of Humpty Dumpty's cracked shell. If that morning another of the composer's neighbors had tossed out trash including a week-old bouquet from her beau, the composer might have tossed off a line about tears cascading like dead rose petals down someone's withered cheeks. If the composer had had no deadline to meet, that paperback novel might have had more than two chapters. Whatever. On a positive note, there is no mention of long entropic nights.

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    The lyrics stink. On a positive note, there is no mention of long entropic nights.
    lololololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I remember reading a review where they said the songs was just a hair to slow. I think it went well with the new image Diana was trying to create at the time, eager to reveal a more raunchy persona.
    From a personal perspective il think it rather boring, although one of the better songs from a rather uninspiring album.
    It's a decent song but no classic. The album itself was very mediocre, and it stands to reason any decent song on such a bland album would stand out somewhat. It certainly would not get anywhere near my top 50 favorite Ross songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafalle View Post
    At the time the WDFFIL album was not well received. Coming straight after the wonderful ballads of late 80, early 81, « It’s My Turn » and « Endless Love », the first two singles, « Why Do Fools » and « Mirror Mirror », couldn’t have been worse. A cheesy cover and a silly pop rock effort. But everyone accepted that she had had to put something, anything out, with only three months to do it [[June 81, when she signed the RCA deal and September, when she was obliged to hand over the masters and cover art). If she had followed it up with something properly produced, by either Michael Jackson or Quincy Jones, all would have been forgiven. Little did we know, she had decided that the days of a man telling her what to do in the studio were over!
    RCA should have given her more time with the album. Quincy was pencilled in to produce it, but delays in finishing Patti Austin's Every Home Should Have One meant he was unable to reach the deadline demanded by RCA. The whole album was a rush job, and that's why it turned out so dull and turgid along with it's equally unsatisfying follow up Silk Electric.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It's a decent song but no classic. The album itself was very mediocre, and it stands to reason any decent song on such a bland album would stand out somewhat. It certainly would not get anywhere near my top 50 favorite Ross songs.
    Mine neither Bluebrock. Perhaps 51 lol.
    I suppose the song proved useful in providing a complete change of pace during live performances.
    Diana’s voice sounds strong and assured on the recording, but for for me it’s just a ‘tad to slow to create any real excitement. Other then her performance on the Carson show, i find she often shouts her way through the song.
    Have you any ideas what happened on the Carson show?. It appeared to me she was trying so very hard to assimilate a rock chick persona that she totally forgot about song lyrics.

Other then her performance on the Carson show, i find she often shouts her way through the song.
    Have you any ideas what happened on the Carson show?. It appeared to me she was trying so very hard to assimilate a rock chick persona that she totally forgot about song lyrics.
    On Carson, I think she was just unprepared and forgot the lyrics, as sometimes happens. She repeated some lines, did a few shimmys, and made it through. But I will say that I watched it with some folks who didn't know the lyrics and until I pointed it out, they really couldn't tell she messed up.

It was rather fascinating to watch her during this period. She totally reinvented herself. I almost couldn't believe this was the same woman who was singing BIG MABLE MURPHY seven years earlier.

That said, I still think the best performance of the song was at Central Park. IMO, the show had sort of hit a lull at that point, with the long LADY SINGS THE BLUES segment. When she started MIRROR, MIRROR, the energy level changed and it seemed that she was really feeling the lyrics. The mike toss at the end was classic.

i like her first two RCA efforts, somewhat. I enjoy the albums and many of the songs but realize 1) some of the productions needed a revamp and 2) agree these aren't groundbreaking albums and are lackluster when launching a new career with a new label.

that said, I think Mirror is a very strong track and holds up very well. What she needed in order to make a truly remarkable album for her debut was a new and exciting sound. I think a bit more of a rock sound would have worked beautifully and been so on trend for the 80s. but it needed her sophistication and polish.

each year she had come up with something totally new and different from before: 1979 The Boss was sophisticated glamorous gospel-infused disco, 1980 the Chic set was sophisticated steely-cool urban, 1981 saw her with sophisticated lush mega-ballads.

So here we're about to enter 1982

I think the backing track to Work That Body was hot and the title could have been so sexy, provided the lyrics weren't the silly nonsense we got. And Mirror Mirror was cold and sexy. i think she could have done more with that sound and approach

Mine neither Bluebrock. Perhaps 51 lol.
    I suppose the song proved useful in providing a complete change of pace during live performances.
    Diana’s voice sounds strong and assured on the recording, but for for me it’s just a ‘tad to slow to create any real excitement. Other then her performance on the Carson show, i find she often shouts her way through the song.
    The Carson performance was prior to me getting involved with her so i have no inside knowledge. I think she was just so busy around this time and perhaps had insufficient time to rehearse. Her tv performances were usually very well rehearsed. When i was with her she would rehearse for several hours before the taping of the show took place. She always took it in her stride and never got nervous prior to recording, whereas i was often a nervous wreck. She would say something along the lines of "if i cannot get it right after all these years i may as well retire and go and live on a desert island". Her professionalism was breathtaking.

I also think it would be very interesting to have the recording and studio dates for all of the Why and Silk tracks. Many fans find the later DRATS albums to be too much of a hodge podge but many, if not most, of the songs are actually fairly strong. but when they're dumped together without and regard to a sound or approach, you get the mish mash of Cream of Crop, Reflections and Sunshine. I'd even put LC in there although i'll admit the overall song quality on LC is better so it does make it a bit more enjoyable.

Anyway, you might be able to re-package Why and Silk and re-arrange the song linesups and you might have some stronger sets. of course i'm ignoring the poorly produced and lazily sung vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    One of my favorite songs of Ross' RCA years. She sings the song very well with a strong voice, some of her songs in the RCA years were not as a good and her voice could sound muddy and muted in the mix[[like Muscles). Very exciting song. It could perhaps be slightly tweaked but nonetheless one of her better efforts during that period, reminiscent of No One Gets The Prize a few years earlier in how she attacks it vocally. I liked the song.
    When you say the song could have been tweaked, I think that is one of the reasons I find myself asking for opinions on this. There are songs that just "have it right" from the music, vocals and mix. Everything perfect. "Mirror Mirror" for me is like a song that maybe isn't perfect in every way; can't put your finger on it but like you said, you feel it could have been done just a weeee bit better. Still, I love this song to pieces.

And that's the thing about it. Not a classic and yet oddly it grabbed my attention. I wouldn't say it's an all-time favorite but I always end up playing this a few times in a row.

I really like reading everyone's opinion on this song. One of those rare times that someone could tell me they hate the song and it wouldn't bother me. [[That is SO not like me lol!)

The Carson show appearance made me uncomfortable to watch. My recollection was she was trying too hard and was a bit manic. Her clothes were horrible .... nothing of the former glamorous Ross.

She lost much of the glamour chic from her Motown years. She looked hard and bizarre on certain RCA album covers. Chalk all this up to her zero willingness to hire the right people and trust their judgment. I’ll say it again, she forgot what made her famous in the first place. She falsely believed it was all about her.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 09-28-2020 at 11:34 AM.

keep in mind though, that she was largely instrumental to the revolutionary look of the Supremes. she was always fascinated by high fashion and glamor. But she certainly didn't have a traditional "black" look, given how incredibly thin she was and her angular features.

and meanwhile, there were not blacks in Vogue or on the runways. As Randy mentions in his books, she essentially created her own look and it became an iconic image of the 60s. the ultra glam DRATS look too was largely her doing. her excessive fashion imagination being developed

then in the early to mid 70s, she evolved multiple times - glamorous solo star, movie star, new mother

by the mid 70s it was sort of back to the excesses of the DRATS era but now as a solo star. clowns and dancers and mimes and jugglers and sequins and excess. this was extreme Bob Mackie. and both she and bob has an excessive glam aesthetic.

starting with The Boss she striped away the bugle beads and the marabou feathers. the album images [[and the unreleased alt images) show a more down to earth sophistication. she expanded this with diana 80. she was an 80s woman - still beautiful but less Vegas-y and more no-nonsense.

so by 81 and 82 she's once again looking at fashion forward and playing with boundaries. that weird jumpsuit is one interpretation of this.

It was one of her first live TV performances after she left Motown. With no Berry there, notepad in hand to jot down all his corrections, it looks like she didn’t rehearse the lyrics, didn’t choreograph her moves, but DID have a couple too many glasses of champagne. She was, effectively, a teenager, away from home for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    But she certainly didn't have a traditional "black" look, given how incredibly thin she was and her angular features.
    Wait...what??? What is a "traditional '[B]lack' look"?
    Last edited by sansradio; 09-28-2020 at 12:25 PM.

so by 81 and 82 she's once again looking at fashion forward and playing with boundaries. that weird jumpsuit is one interpretation of this.
    If you are referring to that black catsuit she wore on the Carson show- that was hot hot hot. She was giving sexy superstar rockstar. Young divas of today, are wearing what Diana was wearing 40 years ago.

Back to the song, I like the live version tempo more than the recorded version. Almost how I like the live version tempo of “I ain’t been licked” over the recorded version. But I still have no problem with the recorded versions. If anyone doubts how much the song was liked, just watch the audience in Central Park. They loved it. I just heard this song on the radio the other day. It is a Diana Ross 80’s classic.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Wait...what??? What is a "traditional '[B]lack' look"?
    i'm referring to the cliche that has been described multiple times in multiple books. Diana was bone thin versus a more curvy and voluptuous look. Same with the revolutionary look of Twiggy in the 60s versus the more Marilyn Monroe curves.

Also Diana quickly picked up on many of the fashion forward elements of the time, like crazy heavy eye makeup. Or the mega wigs and dark, dark eyebrows popularized by Annette Funicello and others. There were next to 0 high profile black models at the time and most designers were not use blacks in their runways or in their photo spreads. Of course some black publications were but generally those ads utilized a very MOR look.

Diana, Flo and Mary frankly were the first [[or among the very first) where the general public noticed their glamorous looks, began to anticipate what they'd wear next and would adapt their looks accordingly.
    Last edited by sup_fan; 09-28-2020 at 12:44 PM.

i'm referring to the cliche that has been described multiple times in multiple books. Diana was bone thin versus a more curvy and voluptuous look. Same with the revolutionary look of Twiggy in the 60s versus the more Marilyn Monroe curves.
    I see. Well, that’s a slippery slope. I didn’t get a sense of “cliché” from the way you phrased it. Surely you didn’t mean to suggest that the African diaspora, with its close to 3,000 tribes and millennia of intermixing, has a distinct body type or set of features.

As for the revolutionary nature of Diana’s appearance, she was by no means among the first in the public eye who influenced fashion or style. Joséphine [[who sparked an international and multicultural rage of copycats with her hairstyle and body type)? Lena? Dorothy? Diahann? Not to be combative, just food for thought.
    Last edited by sansradio; 09-28-2020 at 12:58 PM.

I see. Well, that’s a slippery slope. I didn’t get a sense of “cliché” from the way you phrased it. Surely you didn’t mean to suggest that the African diaspora, with its close to 3,000 tribes and millennia of intermixing, has a distinct body type or set of features.

As for the revolutionary nature of Diana’s appearance, she was by no means among the first in the public eye who influenced fashion or style. Joséphine [[who sparked an international and multicultural rage of copycats with her hairstyle and body type)? Lena? Dorothy? Diahann? Not to be combative, just food for thought.
    open up the different books by Randy. in a nutshell he describes the fact that diana didn't nearly match up with the more traditional "tits and ass" look as Flo or some of the other women at motown.

I agree it's a slippery slope and my intention isn't to broadly stereotype black women or what their definitions of beauty were at the time. it was more to highlight how Diana was always redefining standards in her own way.

And you're right about other leading black women that were blazing a trail ahead of her. But Diana was the first that was truly nationwide in the US. Josephine had to leave the US to really emerge and the fabulous star she deserved to be. Lena and Dorothy were shamelessly overlooked by Hollywood. all three of these women were marvelously talented, glamorous and gorgeous but during those decades prior to the mid 60s, they were simply not given the visibility across general America as the supremes did later. So they may have [[especially Josephine) done some revolutionary things and pushed fashion boundaries. But their impact was limited compared to Diana's.

to put it bluntly, fans, teens and people across America were not racing to catch when they'd be on Ed Sullivan next so that they could see "what on earth will she look like now"

open up the different books by Randy. in a nutshell he describes the fact that diana didn't nearly match up with the more traditional "tits and ass" look as Flo or some of the other women at motown.

I agree it's a slippery slope and my intention isn't to broadly stereotype black women or what their definitions of beauty were at the time. it was more to highlight how Diana was always redefining standards in her own way.

And you're right about other leading black women that were blazing a trail ahead of her. But Diana was the first that was truly nationwide in the US. Josephine had to leave the US to really emerge and the fabulous star she deserved to be. Lena and Dorothy were shamelessly overlooked by Hollywood. all three of these women were marvelously talented, glamorous and gorgeous but during those decades prior to the mid 60s, they were simply not given the visibility across general America as the supremes did later. So they may have [[especially Josephine) done some revolutionary things and pushed fashion boundaries. But their impact was limited compared to Diana's.

to put it bluntly, fans, teens and people across America were not racing to catch when they'd be on Ed Sullivan next so that they could see "what on earth will she look like now"
    Thanks for this thoughtful response and lively discussion! I'd argue that among Black American communities [[especially femme/queer cohorts), the impact that Diana's forerunners had [[forgot to mention Eartha!) was pretty seismic. Your point about their mainstream acceptance compared to Diana's is well taken, though.

Thanks for this thoughtful response and lively discussion! I'd argue that among Black American communities [[especially femme/queer cohorts), the impact that Diana's forerunners had [[forgot to mention Eartha!) was pretty seismic. Your point about their mainstream acceptance compared to Diana's is well taken, though.
    i love these discussions too! the only challenge is making sure people read your posts with the same inflections and all that you're thinking as you type it. it's hard to always interpret things

Oh and you're absolutely correct about the influence these ladies like Eartha, Etta, Josephine and more had. While i've not studied them or immersed myself in their history like have had the Sups, my opinion is that Dorothy and Lena were presenting a more typically "hollywood" image - a starlet so to speak. Josephine created something a bit more unique which her lavish stage presentations. So if i were to compare, i'd maybe put what Diana was doing more inline with what Josephine did, mostly due to the sheer originality of it. again, lena and dorothy were wonderful but maybe following more of the trends rather than breaking out into their own.

but again, i'm not super familiar with all of their work

I love “Mirror Mirror”. One of my favorites. And I thought she looked super hot on the Carson show!

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    The Carson show appearance made me uncomfortable to watch. My recollection was she was trying too hard and was a bit manic..
    An honest assessment of which I agree with. Much of it made for uncomfortable viewing.

The Carson performance was prior to me getting involved with her so i have no inside knowledge. I think she was just so busy around this time and perhaps had insufficient time to rehearse. Her tv performances were usually very well rehearsed. When i was with her she would rehearse for several hours before the taping of the show took place. She always took it in her stride and never got nervous prior to recording, whereas i was often a nervous wreck. She would say something along the lines of "if i cannot get it right after all these years i may as well retire and go and live on a desert island". Her professionalism was breathtaking.
    Thats reassuring to know. The song was never particularly popular here in the UK. Even with Diana at her popularity peak it only managed 36. In fact It did only marginally better then “So Close” which alone is quite telling.
    On the plus side, I think Diana did a good job in reinventing herself. Her body was in great shape and those sexy catsuits showed it off to full affect. It’s just a shame the Carson performance of “Mirror” ended up so shambolic.

Thats reassuring to know. The song was never particularly popular here in the UK. Even with Diana at her popularity peak it only managed 36. In fact It did only marginally better then “So Close” which alone is quite telling.
    On the plus side, I think Diana did a good job in reinventing herself. Her body was in great shape and those sexy catsuits showed it off to full affect. It’s just a shame the Carson performance of “Mirror” ended up so shambolic.
    I shall have to watch the Carson appearance. It is a long time since i last viewed it. I cannot even recall the quality of the performance. She worked damned hard to keep in shape. In fact i would say she was the hardest working star i ever worked with. She certainly put the likes of Mariah and Whitney to shame when it came to rehearsing and behaving in a professional manner.

I shall have to watch the Carson appearance. It is a long time since i last viewed it. I cannot even recall the quality of the performance. She worked damned hard to keep in shape. In fact i would say she was the hardest working star i ever worked with. She certainly put the likes of Mariah and Whitney to shame when it came to rehearsing and behaving in a professional manner.
    How would you say her work ethic compares with that of Streisand’s Bluebrock?.

How would you say her work ethic compares with that of Streisand’s Bluebrock?.
    Fairly similar. Barbra is not comfortable singing on stage. She was very nervous before taking to the stage at Hyde Park which surprised me. Diana is the total opposite. She loves performing live whereas Barbra prefers the recording studio, but both ladies take their art very seriously indeed. Other artists would turn up [[ or would not turn up in some cases) and be totally unprepared. Diana and Barbra were in a different class.

That’s what I would have expected

Fairly similar. Barbra is not comfortable singing on stage. She was very nervous before taking to the stage at Hyde Park which surprised me. Diana is the total opposite. She loves performing live whereas Barbra prefers the recording studio, but both ladies take their art very seriously indeed. Other artists would turn up [[ or would not turn up in some cases) and be totally unprepared. Diana and Barbra were in a different class.
    As a lifelong Diana fan that’s comforting to hear.
    Through my ex i have previously met industry peeps who have worked with Bab’s and have never heard any negatives about her.
    Could it be that during the early 80’s Diana’s increased focus on making money led to a temporary drop in standards?.. The Carson performance, first two RCA albums, Gary Katz recollections of recording ross 83 and the fact that “Missing You” was considered unfinished suggest that could be the case.

As a lifelong Diana fan that’s comforting to hear.
    Through my ex i have previously met industry peeps who have worked with Bab’s and have never heard any negatives about her.
    Could it be that during the early 80’s Diana’s increased focus on making money led to a temporary drop in standards?.. The Carson performance, first two RCA albums, Gary Katz recollections of recording ross 83 and the fact that “Missing You” was considered unfinished suggest that could be the case.
    Perhaps you have a point. I think she only found the inner peace and happiness she craved when she became Mrs Arne in 86 was it? I first met her in 88 and she radiated happiness. Prior to that i was told she was rather difficult to say the least. I witnessed a few memorable tantrums but nothing too serious until the marriage hit the buffers. She treated me with kindness and respect, and was especially loyal and understanding when my son passed away very suddenly. I will never forget her kindness and friendship at that time. Her critics are not at all interested in hearing about her acts of kindness. She is a remarkable lady in many ways, and even now i would do anything for her.
    I don't claim to know Barbra anywhere near as well, but that one week i spent in her company was very memorable, and it was memorable for only positive reasons. Two truly inspiring ladies. I adore them both.

Perhaps you have a point. I think she only found the inner peace and happiness she craved when she became Mrs Arne in 86 was it? I first met her in 88 and she radiated happiness. Prior to that i was told she was rather difficult to say the least. I witnessed a few memorable tantrums but nothing too serious until the marriage hit the buffers. She treated me with kindness and respect, and was especially loyal and understanding when my son passed away very suddenly. I will never forget her kindness and friendship at that time. Her critics are not at all interested in hearing about her acts of kindness. She is a remarkable lady in many ways, and even now i would do anything for her.
    I don't claim to know Barbra anywhere near as well, but that one week i spent in her company was very memorable, and it was memorable for only positive reasons. Two truly inspiring ladies. I adore them both.
    That really is a heart warming post Bluebrock. I’m kinda the same. Even if a person is proving difficult, i never forget a past kindness.
    You only have to look at photos from that period to see how happy and in love she was. Diana herself has been honest in mentioning before that at one stage she became big headed. Perhaps it’s the 81 - 86 period she refers to. Funnily enough that coincides with my least favourite period of her career.

wonderful memories that you shared Blue. one thing i enjoyed in Randy's latest book was several of these touching stories by employees of moments of extreme care and support. It appears that she does know her close associates lives and what's going on [[good and bad) in them. she isn't this cold and totally self-absorbed diva. it's a shame more of these lovely stories aren't aired more

It’s a real shame. Those « biographies » fixed her temperament as a bitch, as far as the general public were concerned. But hopefully now there is a whole new younger generation who see her as, primarily, a legendary performer who walked away from the Hollywood A list to concentrate on raising five lovely children.

Mirror Mirror is certainly one of the tracks that I would be keeping if I could go back in time and hypnotize Diana into getting proper producers to helm her RCA albums.

Even without the time-travelling, I'd much prefer this song to be in her live sets than 'why do fools fall in love'.

Mirror remained in her shows till the late 90’s/ early 2000’s. She revisited the song last year at her birthday concert I believe.

I like her Tonight show appearance.
    It's just that she forgot the words, but it was perfectly rehearsed.
    It's also obvious she was more interested in showing her outfits and her body than anything else. And she did it very well.
    When she exits the studio set, it's a pure glamorous moment

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    When she exits the studio set, it's a pure glamorous moment
    That’s my favorite moment. Such a superstar moment. She worked that. As far as the performance, shit happens sometimes. It was a new song, she forgot the words. No biggie. We should be talking about her legendary performance of that song in Central Park. It was an outstanding performance.

Yes, indeed they are. And when all the rivers of bile finally run dry the truth will remain - that Streisand and Ross dominated those around them as a result of talent, readiness and determination.