[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Marv davis rip

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I banned Monica. Opinions are welcomed here, but she took it a step too far.
    Realizing you had a close relationship with Marv, Ralph, I would respectfully hope you would reconsider banning Monica. Unless there were previous violations I think a warning would be recommended.

As Americans we used to have freedom of speech. As I am entering the last years of my life on this planet I am constantly dismayed at how people with radical agendas have robbed us of this right. While Monica's post was indelicate, there was no profanity or threat to anyone and he/she has the right to an opinion. I think the fallout was also punishment enough. Just my opinion.

On another note it would be nice going forward to get some of the old people back into the fold who left because of the constant mudslinging. It would also be nice to focus on the music and debate, with respect, on issues concerning the music we love so much. Let Marv's untimely passing remind us that none of us are here forever.

2020 has been an awful year, period. First Midnight Johnny, now Marv. I personally had no problem with him. There are/were plenty of members that could be just as arrogant and childish as Marv. But at least Marv was always able to back up his opinions and wasn't quick to jump on any band wagons without doing any fair research. That's what I'm going to miss most about him. He always thought for himself and couldn't have cared less what others thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    That is a horrible thing to say Monica. Marv and i did not see eye to eye, and it would be hypocritical of me to claim otherwise, but the guy has gone and he can no longer hurt/offend/antagonise anyone on this forum. I have had [[and still have) ongoing health issues of my own over the past few months which may yet claim my life, and if my time is up i would like to think my passing would be acknowledged on here with a certain amount of respect, even from those members who do not agree with my views. Demotownguy has recently posted on here about his own health issues. He and i have clashed on here previously, but i wish him well for the future and would like to think he would afford me the same respect. We must cherish our time on this earth and try and be kinder in these very difficult times. I enjoy reading your posts, but this one is very offensive to me and i'm sure many others. I am at a loss to say anything else without causing WW3 on this forum.
    p.s. It was Bette Davis who allegedly uttered the crass remark you quoted in reference to Joan Crawford's passing that you claim your mother always said.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1327
Size:  21.1 KB
    I would guess that saying is many thousands of years older than that film. It's probably as old as when Humans started stringing words together in sentences. Clearly, we have some younger people on here, who haven't started coming to grips with their mortality. We should be kinder to each other at ALL times, and not just because were in a pandemic right now.

We all have our faults, and most also have traits that help The World. Unfortunately, the limited communication medium of an Internet forum doesn't have the capacity to allow some of those traits to be experienced. But Marv wasn't one of those cases. His participation here was enjoyed and appreciated by most here, despite his getting into a few heated arguments.

I'll be glad for every day I have left here. After all, I've been here for 20 years, and overlooked all the bickering and petty name-calling on The Motown Forum.
    Last edited by robb_k; 09-29-2020 at 06:03 PM.

WOW, I'm so sorry to read this today that Marv Davis has passed away. I sincerley hope he did not suffer. He was a major contributor to soulfuldetroit as long as I can remember and was very devoted to Mary Wilson & the Supremes. Rest In Peace, Marv.

Amen Robb. A beautifully balanced statement.... Marv was a fellow, warmly appreciated enthusiast and a dedicated contributor who brought a lot to this forum.....
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 09-29-2020 at 02:56 PM.

What?????? Ralph please say it ain't true,oh man, marv was one of my favorites this is very sad,rest in peace my brother.

Rest in Peace Marv. I enjoyed your posts and your baiting of other posters. You will be remembered and missed.

Had the offending poster been a member in good standing, I probably would have let the offensive post slide. But the poster was new to the forum, which raised a red flag to me, wondering if this was the beginning of some pain in the ass which I didn't need. I've seen it many times in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Had the offending poster been a member in good standing, I probably would have let the offensive post slide. But the poster was new to the forum, which raised a red flag to me, wondering if this was the beginning of some pain in the ass which I didn't need. I've seen it many times in the past.
Views: 1228
    It seems to me that a member saying that they are GLAD that another member died young, at only 60 years old, just because they got in a few heated arguments seems pretty extreme to me. Furthermore, it seems to be breaking a forum rule of attacking a person or his/her reputation. I agree that people should be able to say what's on their minds only up until their doing that is taking away from the other members' right to enjoy what this forum was set up to do [[provide us entertainment). Bad-mouthing someone who is no longer around to defend himself is between the offender and the deceased person. I believe that most of us members don't want to waste our time reading that when we come here to talk about music. I think Ralph as moderator was well within his rights [[some would call it duty) to ban the offender.

If Marv had killed her mother, and she needed a place to vent, I could see maybe letting her off with a warning, and trying to comfort her in some way. But being GLAD a decent person, who sometimes gets a little over emotional in arguments dies in the prime of life???? I think that's way too extreme. EVEN if Marv, unbeknownst to us, had done something terrible to her in person. What did she expect to get from us by telling us she's glad he's dead [[e.g. because that got him off the forum sooner - and that's so much better than him leaving later that it's worth more than his life)?

The way people are acting in the streets at the protest marches, and the killings, and all the rancor, it just seems like The World is getting nastier, and unfriendlier, rather than progressing. It's really disheartening.

If we're going to right what's already wrong in The World, we shouldn't be distracted by petty bickering. We should be paying attention to what's really important - treating each other humanely and with respect. Any group or community has a right to demand that, and make rules that enforce that.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 1327
    I would guess that saying is many thousands of years older than that film. It's probably as old as when Humans started stringing words together in sentences. Clearly, we have some younger people on here, who haven't started coming to grips with their mortality. We should be kinder to each other at ALL times, and not just because were in a pandemic right now.

We all have our faults, and most also have traits that help The World. Unfortunately, the limited communication medium of an Internet forum doesn't have the capacity to allow some of those traits to be experienced. But Marv wasn't one of those cases. His participation here was enjoyed and appreciated by most here, despite his getting into a few heated arguments.

I'll be glad for every day I have left here. After all, I've been here for 20 years, and overlooked all the bickering and petty name-calling on The Motown Forum.
    Well stated Robb. I too am grateful for the gift of life. Monica's opinion aside, i think Marv's passing has made some of our elderly members even more aware of their own mortality, and i firmly believe this forum will become a kinder place as a result. On a personal note i have been moved to tears by the kind thoughts and messages sent my way over the past 6 months or so, and i firmly believe this forum will become a place where it will be a pleasure to visit, and a warm and friendly environment to discuss our mutual love of the music in these dreadful times.
    Sending out positive thoughts to each and every one of you.

Well, the poster, being new, makes me suspicious, Ralph. Robb, you, me & Ralph have been here for awhile, & we've seen various characters come/go with a bunch of caustic/hurtful comments. All I gotta say is hmmmm....

With that being said, I am so sorry for the passing of Marv. He posted his opinions & wasn't afraid. And Robb, you are right; some of us DO reflect on our own mortality
    because I've found as I've gotten older I've become busier. THIS....should make us all stop & think where do we go from here, & how do we do it, how do we make whatever time is left for us count?

Marv did it his way.....I salute that. Negativity need not apply. RIP Marv.

I've long been aware of my own mortality and have been especially more aware over the last three years of health battles and surgeries. I, for one fully approve of the banning
    of monica rivers. This goes beyond notions of free speech which has always been a
    fluctuating concept in not only this country but the world at large anyway...For someone
    to celebrate the passing of any other human being unless that individual had actually
    directly and physically harmed them in real life...well, I have to say this is someone I would not want to chat over b-sides or whatever on the weekly. Often Marv would
    post things I had no use for but I just kept my mouth shut because I knew it was just a matter of differences in personal taste. As far as the time I have left I know I can't guarantee her a bright future or better world but my niece is all I care about. I do hope the best to all others but I have to add:
    F&*K monica rivers....JMO....

Thank you for the words of support Moe. You are so right about the passage of time and what to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I've long been aware of my own mortality and have been especially more aware over the last three years of health battles and surgeries. I, for one fully approve of the banning
    of monica rivers. This goes beyond notions of free speech which has always been a
    fluctuating concept in not only this country but the world at large anyway...For someone
    to celebrate the passing of any other human being unless that individual had actually
    directly and physically harmed them in real life...well, I have to say this is someone I would not want to chat over b-sides or whatever on the weekly. Often Marv would
    post things I had no use for but I just kept my mouth shut because I knew it was just a matter of differences in personal taste. As far as the time I have left I know I can't guarantee her a bright future or better world but my niece is all I care about. I do hope the best to all others but I have to add:
    F&*K monica rivers....JMO....
    ALL of this. Ralph, you absolutely made the right decision. What is banning for if not for this? Heaven forfend Marv's family should stumble across that mess. Free speech is NOT free. It's one of the cornerstones of democracy and one which I treasure and hold dear, but what it signifies is that you are free to suffer the consequences of said speech. Not a "radical" idea at all. Go ahead, yell "fire" in a crowded theater. Knock yourself out...but don't come crying about "free speech" and "radical agendas" when your tail gets locked up. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Again, rest in power, marv2.
    Last edited by sansradio; 09-30-2020 at 02:25 PM.

I enjoyed Marv also and never had a beef with him. I'll truly miss him not being here and feel sad inside after finding this out. I didn't know him personally but people like him that have been posting on SDF for years have been a constant to me. It reminds me of when Weldon passed away.

I don't understand what sort of person would make that sort of comment, but I hope I never have to meet them. No doubt she craved attention and I won't add to her notoriety by even mentioning her name.

As I've mentioned before, Marv and I have often had strong differences of opinion on this forum, both musically and politically, but somehow it never became personal. In fact, on a few occasions where our views coincided, he sent me his thanks through the forum's internal message system, and he didn't have to do that.

The forum will be a duller place without Marv. Let us honour his memory by being kinder to each other.

RIP MARV

I miss Marv like crazy. I actually looked forward to his posts, even the ones he kept making about Mary! This forum seems real empty without him.

As for Monica, she needed to go a long time ago.

First of all; RIP Marv. I really loved that he posted about Mary Wilson and also the Supremes. He was unflagging in posting about Mary Wilson. This of course, made some Diane Ross fans mad. And yes, I said Diane, as I knew her and the family when I was little and we called her Diane. And yes, sometimes I did not agree with Marv going back and forth with fans of Ross; and sometimes I think he would go too far in his criticism of Diana. But certainly, his postings of videos and music, his knowledge of 60's and 70's Detroit, his knowledge of other singers besides Ross and Wilson; outweigh his verbal jousts with Diana Ross fans. I will miss him greatly.
    I agree with Ralph regarding banning Monica. FROM THE START she attacked people on this forum without even properly introducing herself. I really thought she was way out of bounds; most of us, even when we disagree, we pretty much remained civil with each other. I just hope we get new posters that will be like Midnight Johnny, Marv and others who have passed away.

I was wondering about Marv recently [[as I had worried about Bluebrock during his absence).

Marv did rub people up the wrong way though I don't think I ever had a major argument with him on here. He certainly did love his Motown history though.

It would be fitting if he was up there "whooping it up" which from memory was what Mary's Motown-33 [[deleted) speech about the late Flo would have said.

Vale Marv.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Free speech is NOT free. It's one of the cornerstones of democracy and one which I treasure and hold dear, but what it signifies is that you are free to suffer the consequences of said speech. Not a "radical" idea at all. Go ahead, yell "fire" in a crowded theater. Knock yourself out...but don't come crying about "free speech" and "radical agendas" when your tail gets locked up. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    Well said. I laughed at, "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes". I like that one! I'm gonna use it

I will miss his contributions at the SD forum. He was the most devoted Mary Wilson fan I've ever encountered anywhere.

RIP, Marv.

--- When I decided to be a little more proactive in my participation here a couple of years ago, right away Marv and I bumped heads [[or rather Marv bumped my head, lol!).

Not having a history of years of exchanges with him, I took a step back and tried to understand him and I observed that this site was an important part of his life, over the course of many years he had become very protective of it and its contents. He wanted the record to be accurate , and when postings got too fanciful, he seemed determined to reel them in.

To me, Marv's posts were predominantly credible, he came from a reference of authority, he personally knew of whom and what he spoke, and he was continuously entertaining with his bits and pieces concerning various facets of Motown. And I sure learned a lot from him about The Supremes --- especially Mary Wilson! ... He made sure of that!

Marv wasn't afraid to voice his truths, and I often found the words used to oppose him to be somewhat appalling, wondered why these folks didn't actually use the 'ignore' solution they said they intended to, then I realized they couldn't resist, they were drawn to Marv's postings , seemed to be awaiting them even.

At times I think Marv intentionally amped up his commentary just to insure the outraged responses would continue. So in some ways, the blow back against Marv made his interest here more vested, they did him good, if that makes sense, he seemed to thrive on it. And in many cases, vice versa.

Ralph, thank you for defending Marv and allowing Marv to stay, on his terms, for not banning him , for not giving in to the cancel crowd. I'm sure your support meant everything to him. I don't think anybody will argue that Marv really cared about this place and the music it represents.

I know I appreciated his responses to my input here , we connected through the sharing of our common interests in music and in that regard I came to deem him as the voice of a friend.

As I type this, I can't think of a single thing Marv said concerning Motown [[Diana Ross) that was soooo terrible, [[and please don't try to remind me! lol!), rather I just feel the bigger loss of his presence, the now missing watchdog of Soulful Detroit.

RIP marv2
    Marv Davis.

boogiedown
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-03-2020 at 03:48 PM.

Although he and I never met face to face, Marv was the kind of dude who would've been one of my walking pardners[a friend]..our exchanges were always fun and I will miss talking to him whether it be music or the always fun[Remember When]post..God Bless You Marv..Your Pal-Jai[Arr&Bee]Nance.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Although he and I never met face to face, Marv was the kind of dude who would've been one of my walking pardners[a friend]..our exchanges were always fun and I will miss talking to him whether it be music or the always fun[Remember When]post..God Bless You Marv..Your Pal-Jai[Arr&Bee]Nance.
Views: 898
    Pretty much the same for me. I couldn't have put it better. There are a bunch of others who feel the same way, too. He's in a better place now, and whether its 5 or 10 or 15 years for me, it goes by awfully fast at this age. So, I'm hoping it'll really be a tranquil and enjoyable existence, after all the trials and tribulation of this life. I hope what I've learned after all these years won't be wasted by starting from scratch with no memory of this existence in the next one. Sorry, for getting so deep here, but losing a lot of family and friends from my generation has got me to thinking about questions no one can answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    I was wondering about Marv recently [[as I had worried about Bluebrock during his absence).

Marv did rub people up the wrong way though I don't think I ever had a major argument with him on here. He certainly did love his Motown history though.

It would be fitting if he was up there "whooping it up" which from memory was what Mary's Motown-33 [[deleted) speech about the late Flo would have said.

Vale Marv.
    Yeah. I guess in my eyes, we had a love-hate relationship lol there were times we were at each other's throats, the next minute, we're bigging the other up on posts.

Robb, I understand where you are at this time in your life. I'm looking down the barrel of 80 and also wonder at my remaining time.I have had interesting episodes in my life, when my deceased father would leave very obvious signs that he was still around, reinforcing my beliefs that there is something wonderful that awaits us when we depart this dimension, crossing into the next. To me it transcends any promise from organized religion. Like you, I hope and pray the transition is a peaceful one.
    Last edited by ralpht; 10-06-2020 at 05:05 PM.

Hi!

I believe Marv and I were friends on this forum, although we never met.
    I always enjoyed his postings, and we mostly agreed on most of the topics; actually on everything, if I remember correctly now.
    RIP.

Best regards
    Heikki

I don't come around much anymore, but I'm very saddened to drop in and hear that Marv died. I thought he was feisty and opinionated and stuck by his guns, and I like that in a person. RIP

Unfortunately I never met Marv in person, but I enjoyed chatting with him in this forum on various topics. I will miss him here. RIP Marv.

Wow. I'm learning this news very late but I'm very sad to hear of Marv's passing. He was a year older than me and we had a lot of things in common. He spent a lot of time in my hometown when he was younger and we talked about restaurants and record stores we both haunted in our respective youths. He was definitely one of the closest things to a friend that I had in the anonymous world of internet forums and he will defintely be missed. May God bless his family to hold tight to the joy of his life rather than the pain of his passing. RIP, Marv.

Absolutely shocking to hear this. Rest in peace with the legends🧡💜♥️

I’m so sorry to hear this. I liked Marv and always tried to go out of my way to let him know I respected his opinions if not the way he sometimes expressed them. I wasn’t a member back when he may have been especially caustic though I think his YouTube posts were generally more inflammatory than those here. I also tried to befriend him because some of his YouTube posts were very homophobic and I wanted him to know that could be overlooked once he got a little more respectful in his posts. I also liked teasing him about his unwillingness to admit that Diane Ross is a great talent. Plus like me, being from Detroit, Marv understood why we call her Diane, not Diana!

This is so sad. God bless Marv.

As far as the banned poster, he or she came in with a nastiness towards Marv which had to predate joining SDF.

Quote Originally Posted by 9A View Post
    I had the pleasure of meeting Marv at Ralphś book signing. He was a warm and
    friendly gentleman. I am saddened that so many of you lost an old and valued friend.
    Nina
    Hello, I'm a newbie here, but I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your longtime Soulful Detroit member Marv Davis, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    My mother always said don’t say anything bad about the dead. Only say good. Marvin Davis is dead. Good.
    Wow, not cool at all..

Quote Originally Posted by TammiTerrellFan View Post
    Wow, not cool at all..
    We don’t know who that poster is. Likely it’s an old member who was banned and came back under another name. As soon as he or she joined, it was obvious they had something in for Marv right away because they started making lots of provocative comments. Anyway it isn’t important. Just a sign of how tasteless and thoughtless some people can be about something as serious as someone’s passing.

OMG - I just stumbled upon this news. We've clearly had our differences on this board, especially regarding his disdain for Diana Ross but in the grand scheme of things he did have a right to his opinion. I just had an issue on how he chose to deliver the message. At the end of the day he was very knowledgeable and boy his love for Mary Wilson knew no end - and I respected his passion despite it all and here I am typing this message out and I'm overcome with the loss.

My prayers and condolences go out to his family and his friends. He will be deeply missed.

Let us learn to agree to disagree while never losing respect for each other in the process.

Tomorrow is never promised to any of us.

God bless you Marvin. Rest in Paradise.

Lovesupreme, Marv would have loved your post, acceptance, tolerance and respect. Very positive.

Sad to hear of Marv's passing. My deepest condolences to his family and friends. Hope he didn't suffer. I am sure he is in heaven sharing his love of soul music with everyone. Such a great loss to this site. Thanks Marv for sharing so many interesting posts where I learned new music and history.

I'm here after being away for years...to express my sincerest condolences to Marv's people. I owe him that at a minimum.

I enjoyed reading 96% of the posts about Marv....not only from the folks I've known and been close to over the past 18 years and probably share similar thoughts and opinions as they've expressed here....but especially the classy posts from those that I remember who have had a beef or two with Marv over the years....and basically chose to bury the hatchet.

I interacted with Marv [[it was only Marv2 because somehow his login got hosed for some reason) in dozens of threads over the years.....but I very rarely dipped into any discussions about the Supremes. To quote Plato and Socrates..."A man's gotta know his limitations." Sometimes I enjoyed the skirmishes....sometimes they irked me. But I got to know the players a bit better.

I missed it, but I'm curious as to the thread that broke Ralph's back and finally got him to separate the Supremes from the other Motown threads....or, as they say in boxing, if it was just and accumulation of blows. Either way, I'd bet dollars to donuts that Marv was in the mix.

I haven't posted here in years. Even forgot my PW. I've popped in every now and then, but then moved on.

Reading through this and the other thread, and seeing so many familiar names, reminded me of all the great, good, alright, and pissy times I've had on SDF....and the same [[GGAP) for the folks here....present company included.

Don't mean to exclude anyone, but I do miss yakking with Robb and Splanky. Others of you like Moe and Ralph, I see in other "venues". Hell, I was on the phone with an old member last night discussing the Soul Train Awards and the Nate Robinson KO.

I'm pretty sure I'll be posting again soon. Later peeps.

P.S.

MsM expressed her condolences also and is trying to recover her PW to get back in.