[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Marv davis rip

Marv davis rip

I received the news from forum member Bill Staiger who was able to find the information. Some had a hard time with the guy and others, like myself, were quite fond of him. he was a major contributor to the forum and his offerings will be missed. When I had a book signing date at Motown, He flew in from New York to be there with me. I will miss you and your friendship Marv.
    Last edited by ralpht; 09-25-2020 at 07:09 PM.

Marv with me at Motown book signing.Name:  Book signing at Motown.jpg
Views: 2896
Size:  15.8 KB

This place won’t be the same without Marv. I know he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but I admired how he gave his POV without hesitation. Say hi to Midnight Johnny for us, Marv!

He will indeed be missed. He was a major contributor to the success of this forum. He seemed to know virtually everyone of importance. If you needed research or clarification on anything he was always ready, willing, and able to help out. Our forum would be nowhere near as successful as it is now if Marv never would have been a member. Thanks Marv for all your contributions. It hasn't been the same since your last posting on 8/9 and you will be a tough act to follow.

RIP Marv 2. Thanks for all the memories.

I regret to have it now confirmed that Marv has indeed passed.

Marv's very great number of threads and posts, particularly on the Motown forum, will continue as clear testimony to the countless hours he contributed to Soulful Detroit for many years.

No other member has so consistently contributed, and for so long, in keeping the music and memories alive right here on Soulful Detroit, than Marv Davis.

Farewell to you, Marv.....

I will miss Marv2 here at SDF. Rest in Peace, Marv.

Sorry to hear of Marv's passing, he will truly be missed on this forum. May the Lord rest Marv's soul and comfort the heart of his family and loved ones.

Sorry to hear that we have lost another knowledgeable member of the site. Marv always treated me fine and his input, good or bad, will be missed.
    Darin

Marv2

R I P

I will miss you

edafan

Does anyone know the cause of death?

I just logged in and am saddened t learn that marvin marv has left us. He was always supportive in my comments and also provided data t back up his research or comments especially when it came to t supremes Mary Jean cindy flo, we both shared t same views and I will truly miss hearing from him on soulfuldetroit. R.i heaven say hello t the Motown gang f us frances

Sad to get this confirmation. His feisty spirit has already been missed. Rest in peace, marv2.

Iknew Marv from a Yahoo Group. He and I met up at a Mary Wilson concert in Coney Island NY. After the show,he introduced me to Mary. When she saw him she called him by name,Yes, they knew each other. He took a picture of Mary and I.He was a very nice person.It saddens me that he passed.RIP my friend

RIP, the forum wont be the same without you.

That is sad news. He and i did not get along but i am very sorry to hear of his passing. May he r.i.p.

I'm truly sorry to hear about Marv2. As others have already said, he contributed a lot to this site & he will be missed. RIP Marv Davis.

I had the pleasure of meeting Marv at Ralphś book signing. He was a warm and
    friendly gentleman. I am saddened that so many of you lost an old and valued friend.
    Nina
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 9A; 09-27-2020 at 10:41 PM.

WE had a rocky acquaintance but I pray he Rests in eternal peace.

Psalm 23v4:Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Always sad to lose another forum member. Is there an official obit? I know there
    were some tense moments around here...but, life is fragile. The days are long but
    the years are short. RIP Marv.

[QUOTE=lakeside;591134]Always sad to lose another forum member. Is there an official obit? I know there
    were some tense moments around here...but, life is fragile. The days are long but
    the years are short. RIP Marv.[/https://www.cbrownfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Mr-Marvin-D-Davis?obId=18238707

[QUOTE=detmotownguy;591135]
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Always sad to lose another forum member. Is there an official obit? I know there
    the years are short. RIP Marv.[/https://www.cbrownfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Mr-Marvin-D-Davis?obId=18238707
    Thank you, demotownguy.

[QUOTE=detmotownguy;591135]
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Thank you.

Marvin Davis September 10, 1960-September 1, 2020 R.I.P.

Mike you prob know this, but Marv thought highly of you and was so glad whenever you provided a posting on this site. A few months ago when I was close to stepping over to the other side, Marv was a great distraction from the possible reality of my situation. He was always responsive when I had a question re the music and provided the back up. I am still in shocking will miss his input.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1726
Size:  21.1 KB
    Wow!!!! What a shock! I'm so very sad to hear this. I didn't know he was even sick. This forum has lost one of its pillars. Were going to miss him a lot. I must be getting really senile now. I didn't notice that he was not making posts for the last few weeks. My heartfelt condolences go out to his family. He was one of my favourite posters here.

One thing is for sure, Marv was very passionate about The Supremes and Motown. It really does sadden me deeply, each time I learn of a fellow fan and acquaintance passing away. I've known of three this past year. When I had read a few weeks ago that he had uncharacteristically not been posting on here for some time, I had a sad feeling that perhaps he had fallen ill. I had personally corresponded with him some years ago, for a time, while he was still running the Mary Wilson Yahoo Group. Rest in peace.

May he Rest in Peace.

I have not been a member on here for as long as many of you but I can say that Marv was always cordial in our far too few interactions on this site. I pray that the Lord will comfort his family and friends and acquaintances as they mourn his passing.

Wow, what terrible news. His contributions were plentiful and certainly had a great deal of insight to share. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family at this time.

I just saw this post. I am very saddened to see this very sad news. I will miss Marv and all of his posts very much. May he Rest in Peace.

Marv was such a prolific poster and a first hand source of Motown history. He shared both the written word and a lot of photos from his huge knowledge base. I always found him to be warm and welcoming. I fear the forum has lost a powerful link to the history of Motown and Detroit.

As barely a day passed without Marv posting or commenting, I had a sinking feeling when the posts suddenly ceased. I actually went into his profile to see his activity and sadly there was nothing, so I guessed something serious was going on. Marv will be much missed here.

Mike

I for one reason or another continually put off asking Marv if he had known or even seen
    Geri Allen when she played piano for Mary Wilson before she became one of jazz's most
    iconic musicians. She, we lost in 2017 and now he's gone. I didn't always agree with him
    but we had more than a few pleasant conversations. He had a more than surface level
    knowledge of various musics. More than once being the only one here knowing about
    certain artists outside of the usual suspects. I will miss him myself. RIP, Marv...

I suspected that something was amiss when I noticed that you were not posting and that you didn't respond to my messages. We were always very respectful to each other and your knowledge was second to none. Condolences to your friends and family. You will be missed. RIP Marv.

Truly sad to hear that Marv will no longer be posting. To lose that knowledge and insight is a blow to this community and he was one of us for sure. That he's left the world at what is quite a young age is all the more sad. Condolences to his family and friends.

Very sad to hear. My condolences to the family.
    RIP Marv. 🙏🙏

Marv was very knowledgeable and passionate; it was so clear sonething was wrong when he stopped posting. Condolences to his family,

Just sent a tribute post to him on the other thread but I'll repeat a bit:

We had good conversations and at times we nearly came to blows but he was quite a brilliant person when it came to music in general.

He'll be missed for real. RIP, Marv.

My mother always said don’t say anything bad about the dead. Only say good. Marvin Davis is dead. Good.

Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    My mother always said don’t say anything bad about the dead. Only say good. Marvin Davis is dead. Good.
    Monica, Marvin was a thorn in my side for over 20 years and I never dreamed I would ever defend him. But I found this comment totally unacceptable, distasteful and hopefully when your day comes to leave I would hope no one would ever say this about you.

Not at all classy Monica. In your case silence wouldve been a better choice.

Tacky, immature and petty! All because you had a difference of opinion ONLINE.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Monica, Marvin was a thorn in my side for over 20 years and I never dreamed I would ever defend him. But I found this comment totally unacceptable, distasteful and hopefully when your day comes to leave I would hope no one would ever say this about you.
    Rick as always, you are a class act. Thanks for that response on that distasteful post monicarivers.

That is a horrible thing to say Monica. Marv and i did not see eye to eye, and it would be hypocritical of me to claim otherwise, but the guy has gone and he can no longer hurt/offend/antagonise anyone on this forum. I have had [[and still have) ongoing health issues of my own over the past few months which may yet claim my life, and if my time is up i would like to think my passing would be acknowledged on here with a certain amount of respect, even from those members who do not agree with my views. Demotownguy has recently posted on here about his own health issues. He and i have clashed on here previously, but i wish him well for the future and would like to think he would afford me the same respect. We must cherish our time on this earth and try and be kinder in these very difficult times. I enjoy reading your posts, but this one is very offensive to me and i'm sure many others. I am at a loss to say anything else without causing WW3 on this forum.
    p.s. It was Bette Davis who allegedly uttered the crass remark you quoted in reference to Joan Crawford's passing that you claim your mother always said.

I banned Monica. Opinions are welcomed here, but she took it a step too far.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I banned Monica. Opinions are welcomed here, but she took it a step too far.
    Good. That was a horrible thing to write.

I posted my shock & condolences here yesterday but for some reason it’s not showing – probably my sausage fingers. In any case rest in peace Marv, how we’re gonna miss you. Your passion for our music shone through and I'll never know how you found so much amazing stuff. And Ralph that ban is absolutely the right thing to do. Let’s take heart that that was one single bad note among a symphony of mourning.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishTony View Post
    I posted my shock & condolences here yesterday but for some reason it’s not showing – probably my sausage fingers. In any case rest in peace Marv, how we’re gonna miss you. Your passion for our music shone through and I'll never know how you found so much amazing stuff. And Ralph that ban is absolutely the right thing to do. Let’s take heart that that was one single bad note among a symphony of mourning.
    You have a post showing on the other thread in the ghetto.

Thanks Thanxal, I obviously confused myself. Not so difficult these days.

Marv2 was difficult to understand at times but monicarivers' statement is unforgivable. monicarivers is banned. Good.

Sad to hear the loss of any SDF member - I know Marv had a long, storied history on this forum, and I just want to take the opportunity to express my gratitude to the entire SDF community for being so passionate about the music that has very much shaped my own life. I'm sure many of us feel the same. Passion can tip the scales towards some extremes, and I've witnessed many discussions here get "passionate" to say the least. Regardless of how that passion might manifest itself, it all stems from the same place --- love for the music. I'm happy Marv was able to be a part of this community that we've all found, and thank you to Ralph for keeping it all going. Condolences to his family and friends, and RIP Marv!

- Drew