[REMOVE ADS]

Rolling Stone Top 500 Albums: “diana”

I believe this is her first solo work to make the list:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...diana-1062839/

Great result for Diana.

Somehow you would never expect her to appear in a list compiled by Rolling Stone.

To be honest, it's not one of my personal favourite albums - the only track I really like is Upside Down [[yes I'm not an I'm Coming Out fan) and even it wouldn't make it to my top 10 list.

Although it produced three big single hits for her the UK is probably the only territory in the world where it is not her biggest selling studio album selling less than half of what the fantastic The Force Behind The Power has and surprisingly lags slightly behind Touch Me In The Morning and Diana Ross 1976.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Great result for Diana.

Somehow you would never expect her to appear in a list compiled by Rolling Stone.

To be honest, it's not one of my personal favourite albums - the only track I really like is Upside Down [[yes I'm not an I'm Coming Out fan) and even it wouldn't make it to my top 10 list.

Although it produced three big single hits for her the UK is probably the only territory in the world where it is not her biggest selling studio album selling less than half of what the fantastic The Force Behind The Power has and surprisingly lags slightly behind Touch Me In The Morning and Diana Ross 1976.
    It's not my favourite Diana album either, but it is without doubt her most influential album. I appreciate it more now than i did at the time. She was in good form vocally and it would probably just squeeze into my top 10 Diana albums if i compiled a list today.

I'm surprised at Diana's appearance on this list, too. She was never a favorite with "Rock" critics. Rolling Stone was "important" and relevant only to "Rock" fans. It and
    Rock are getting less and less relevant every year, as boomers age. Rock hasn't been dominant since the rise of Hip Hop in the 90's.

I suppose diana would be the likeliest Ross album to be included here. Nile Rodgers is quite respected by "Rock" critics and musicians. The album remains her biggest solo album but appears to be less favored in this forum.

agreed that Rolling Stones would probably be most inclined to appreciate diana 80. As other have mentioned on here, my appreciation has grown for this too. and yes, it has had significant long-term impact. the riffs and content that Nile and Bernard created have not only made incredibly durable songs for Diana but have been sampled heavily by other artists.

I've also grown to appreciate the sound and statement they were making at the time. it really was totally unique and a significant change. I would say it rivals the groundbreaking work Madonna did with Ray of Light or Cher with Believe. This wasn't, as some at the time worried or some since have dismissed as, Diana guest appearing on a Chic album. had they released the original version of the lp, it might have been more aligned with that. but the released mixes take the chic sound and make it Diana's. Diana also had MUCH more lyrical interpretation of these songs than any of the singers on chic's music. I like chic but the vocalists on many of the tracks are almost as mechanical as the music. Diana is rarely, if even, mechanical.

this was a fresh and totally NYC urban sound.

although I still like The Boss better lolol

Much too little, much too late.

In another twenty years Rolling Stone may suddenly be woke to include Donna Summer as also hip.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Much too little, much too late.

In another twenty years Rolling Stone may suddenly be woke to include Donna Summer as also hip.
    Bad Girls did make the list...higher than diana I believe. Does anyone know if this is Donna’s first entry?

yea Donna!! RS finally thinks you're part of their crowd . ............lucky .....you

now come on - is anyone actually surprised that RS's list would slanted towards white straight male rock artists?

The Supremes are also listed at 452 for DRATS Anthology.

Diana Ross and the Supremes, 'Anthology'

Tamla/Motown, 1974
    Powered byIn the heyday of Motown, the Supremes were their own hit factory, all glamour and heartbreak. Diana Ross and her girls ruled the radio with tunes from the Motown brain trust of Holland, Dozier, and Holland. The Supremes could blaze with confidence, as in “Come See About Me.” Or they could sound elegantly morose, as in “My World Is Empty Without You” and “Where Did Our Love Go?” But in “Love Is Like an Itching in My Heart,” when Miss Ross gulps, “There ain’t nothing I can do about it,” it’s a spine-tingling moment.

Hey Roberta I tried sending you a private message, did you get it? PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    The Supremes are also listed at 452 for DRATS Anthology.

Diana Ross and the Supremes, 'Anthology'

Tamla/Motown, 1974
    Powered byIn the heyday of Motown, the Supremes were their own hit factory, all glamour and heartbreak. Diana Ross and her girls ruled the radio with tunes from the Motown brain trust of Holland, Dozier, and Holland. The Supremes could blaze with confidence, as in “Come See About Me.” Or they could sound elegantly morose, as in “My World Is Empty Without You” and “Where Did Our Love Go?” But in “Love Is Like an Itching in My Heart,” when Miss Ross gulps, “There ain’t nothing I can do about it,” it’s a spine-tingling moment.
    Rolling Stone has always seemed to begrudgingly praise and respect the Supremes and DRATS. I'm surprised diana is ranked higher than Anthology.

But in “Love Is Like an Itching in My Heart,” when Miss Ross gulps, “There ain’t nothing I can do about it,” it’s a spine-tingling moment.

Huh? Clearly the Rolling Stone writer needs some information to get out of the situation of claiming the lyric of a certain song belongs in another song entirely. One wants to shake this writer's shoulders and say, "When you're ill, you take a pill, when you're thirsty, drink your fill, and when your spine tingles too much and you get confused, you better see a doctor but quick if you want to regain your credibility as a music critic who writes with authority and knowledge."

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Hey Roberta I tried sending you a private message, did you get it? PM me
    Just did my dear.

Yay! Great and classic album.

If "diana" belongs there, "Blue" should be there.

Not a big fan of the DIANA LP....Upside Down, Coming Out and Have Fun Again seem to be all I enjoy there....I enjoy the Debut LP and Baby It's Me the most...and dare I say it with the exception of Together, the Ross '78 LP is another of my favorites.

The album contains some of her most gutsy vocal performances ever. Confident, bold and sexy rolled into one. Much like on The Boss set. Virtually every song on “diana” had hit potential.
    The older me plays it less, but it most certainly deserves its recognition.

Deservedly there. The only other album from Diana that could possibly be included would be The Boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Deservedly there. The only other album from Diana that could possibly be included would be The Boss.
    I would agree with that from a rock critics point of view which of course is what Rolling Stone is all about, but in a more general music setting i would put a case forward for the inclusion of Diana Ross70, Baby it's me and especially Surrender.