[REMOVE ADS]

He’s The One I Love - Tammi Terrell

I just listened to this production for the first time. It’s much different from Mary Well’s version but very good in its own right. My question concerns the backing singers. They don’t sound at all like the Andantes. Any idea who they might be?

https://youtu.be/jsCKiMqlgVg

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    I just listened to this production for the first time. It’s much different from Mary Well’s version but very good in its own right. My question concerns the backing singers. They don’t sound at all like the Andantes. Any idea who they might be?

One of them definitely sounds like Telma Hopkins of Tony Orlando and Dawn and a popular actress in her own right now.

Can't help with this question but that entire album was wonderful. If Tammi had lived, she would have hopefully continued on a solo career path as well as the amazing work with Marvin. Definitely one of Motown's most tragic losses.

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post

Yeah, I've always wondered too. This group pops up on a few Motown things here and there post '67 or so. They also appear on "Oh What A Good Man He Is". Definitely not the Andantes.

And by the way, "Good Man" is definitely one of the funkiest things every to come out of 60's Motown.

Thanks marv2

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Yeah, I've always wondered too. This group pops up on a few Motown things here and there post '67 or so. They also appear on "Oh What A Good Man He Is". Definitely not the Andantes.

And by the way, "Good Man" is definitely one of the funkiest things every to come out of 60's Motown.

You’re right about “Good Man,” WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance. It is very funky and not classic Motown yet written/composed by Smokey Robinson/Al Cleveland!

That´s right, it sounds very funky a "harder" thing, it reminds me a little by her earlier work with Scepter / Wand, "This time tomorrow".
    I have another question because of the album cover of "Irresistible", this album is released 1969 and she is sitting on the cover, at this time was she in the wheeling chair and no possibility to stand, or was it wanted, that she sit ?

Thanks for clarify

Quote Originally Posted by Fullfillingnessfirstfinale View Post
    That´s right, it sounds very funky a "harder" thing, it reminds me a little by her earlier work with Scepter / Wand, "This time tomorrow".
    I have another question because of the album cover of "Irresistible", this album is released 1969 and she is sitting on the cover, at this time was she in the wheeling chair and no possibility to stand, or was it wanted, that she sit ?

Thanks for clarify
    Looking at her hairstyle, I think this photo was taken around the same time as the photo on the YOU'RE ALL I NEED album, as well as some other photos. So this photo session could very well have taken place quite some time before the IRRESISTIBLE album was released.

Re her sitting position, more than likely if she was too ill to do a full photo session, I think they would have used an old picture [[like on IRRESISTIBLE) or artwork [[like on EASY) rather than cause her any unneeded discomfort.
    Last edited by reese; 04-24-2020 at 08:55 AM.

I love this album and recently added all tracks to my Motown playlist of 500 [[so far), I'm doing for this lockdown.
    It's a great album cover and Tammi looks stunning

Beautiful woman. Beautiful voice.

I agree with Reese about the pose. I think it’s just a photo shoot.

I’ve always wondered why James Brown didn’t keep her as part of his revue. She really only recorded just that one single I think, “I cried“. A beautiful song. Maybe she just wasn’t his type of vocalist. But that always seems to be kind of a mystery; no one seems to give any reason when they write about her brief tenure with the godfather of soul.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I agree with Reese about the pose. I think it’s just a photo shoot.

I’ve always wondered why James Brown didn’t keep her as part of his revue. She really only recorded just that one single I think, “I cried“. A beautiful song. Maybe she just wasn’t his type of vocalist. But that always seems to be kind of a mystery; no one seems to give any reason when they write about her brief tenure with the godfather of soul.
    I always thought it was because she got tired of James Brown’s savage beatings and his domineering control over her. He was more abusive toward her than David Ruffin, at least with him Tammi gave a few blows back.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    I always thought it was because she got tired of James Brown’s savage beatings and his domineering control over her. He was more abusive toward her than David Ruffin, at least with him Tammi gave a few blows back.
    In her book, Tammi's sister Ludie wrote that after one particularly brutal beating from James , Tammi's parents came to get her and took her home. On the UNSUNG episode on Tammi, I believe Gene Chandler said he contacted her parents to come get her.

Why in the world would either David or James have beaten such a beautiful girl? How could either of them been twisted enough to think she deserved that?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Why in the world would either David or James have beaten such a beautiful girl? How could either of them been twisted enough to think she deserved that?
    Sadly those are hallmarks of domestic violence.

Thanks all, for the information. I hadn’t heard all that before.

Well I think I have find the answer by myself, Tammi wear´s the same dress and ear rings as she met Smokey Robinson on a photo.

Amen. Both James & David were abusive towards Tammi, but in Brown's era, Tammi was still a teenager! Never was a JB fan & this really puts the icing on the cake. Ruffin was already married & had kids when he gave Tammi an "engagement" ring. From what I have read Tammi announced at a club that she & Ruffin were engaged, knowing he was already married! I know it takes 2 to tangles, but raising your hands or motorcycle helmet to a female is unforgivable. I know Tammi suffered with bad headaches before her associations with JB & DR, but the abuse from them sure didn't help.