[REMOVE ADS]

Melba Moore - 'Ain't No Love Lost'

A flat-out killer!

It's a classy affair, as was customary from Van McCoy, but I prefer what Curtis Mayfield did with it for Patti Jo.

A Tom Moulton mix

After a crap day at work I have to say what a tonic it is to spin both of these. I can't really separate them to be honest. Can you imagine if Tom had given Melba a remix though? I'm presuming he didn't but I think that would've tipped the scales.

Although Melba has been the recipient of a fair number of re-issues, she might be a nice candidate for one of those comprehensive packages, such as the one Dionne got or the forthcoming Carla Thomas. Certainly there would be enough material for such a project and I am sure the interest would be there. Agree? Disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Although Melba has been the recipient of a fair number of re-issues, she might be a nice candidate for one of those comprehensive packages, such as the one Dionne got or the forthcoming Carla Thomas. Certainly there would be enough material for such a project and I am sure the interest would be there. Agree? Disagree?
    Whole-heartedly agree! And be sure to include the three Mercury lps. Such a wonderful talent. I've mentioned WAY too many times here having been lucky to see Melba in 'Purlie' and her Metropolitan Opera House concert in December '76. The curtain calls ... Yes, Gods and Goddesses once roamed the earth.

I would love those Mercury albums to be reissued! I think they could probably do a box with her Buddah albums since they are [[I think) both owned by Universal. However all of those masters may have been lost in the infamous fire...
    Last edited by pghmusiclover; 09-25-2020 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Updated language.

Quote Originally Posted by pghmusiclover View Post
    I would love those Mercury albums to be reissued! I think they could probably do a box with her Buddah albums since they are [[I think) both owned by Universal. However all of those masters may have been lost in the infamous fire...
    Not sure about the Mercury albums, but the Buddah masters are safe and well.
    I am not sure a Melba boxset is financially viable. Funkytowngrooves did a wonderful job in remastering the Buddah and Epic albums, but the sales figures for some of those albums were modest at best. An expensive boxset is unlikely to happen. I love Melba, but we have to be realistic. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I am not sure a Melba boxset is financially viable. Funkytowngrooves did a wonderful job in remastering the Buddah and Epic albums, but the sales figures for some of those albums were modest at best. An expensive boxset is unlikely to happen. I love Melba, but we have to be realistic. Sorry.
    Having bought all the Funkytown issues myself, I thought something similar. The Mercury stuff was before I was old enough for pocket money though. I'd definitely check it out if ever available

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Having bought all the Funkytown issues myself, I thought something similar. The Mercury stuff was before I was old enough for pocket money though. I'd definitely check it out if ever available
    Maybe that is something we need to look into Danno........

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Well those boxes that Soul Music does [[mostly WEA recordings) for Esther, Carla, and Barbara Lewis are fairly inexpensive. Surely a Melba box like that can be as financially viable as Barbara Lewis!

Quote Originally Posted by pghmusiclover View Post
    Well those boxes that Soul Music does [[mostly WEA recordings) for Esther, Carla, and Barbara Lewis are fairly inexpensive. Surely a Melba box like that can be as financially viable as Barbara Lewis!
    Most of Melba's fans would have purchased the funkytowngrooves expanded editions, and not all of those sold particularly well. There appears to be very little if any vaulted material left, so we would basically be putting out a boxset of readily available material. I think a collection of her Mercury material is perhaps more viable.

That's an interesting point regarding Funkytowngrooves. A few years ago, their titles seemed to sell out quickly, then rocket in price. I couldn't get a copy of Melba's "A lot of love" set and bought the Capitol edition instead. Had an e-mail from them today with seven of her titles available amongst over a hundred other releases. They haven't brought out anything new for ages. Shame if they're now only shifting old stock as they've brought out some brilliant stuff over the years.

On Melba's Mercury output. Have trawled Youtube over the weekend to try and get to listen to some of it. There's a nice jazz tinge to the first album. Sunny is one of my favourite songs to be honest. Strange one about Lucifer but I liked them generally. It's not ideal listening to them in random Youtube order. Would be a bit more coherent listening in the original running sequence. Sassy artwork as well! I'd be in if they were released.