[REMOVE ADS]

Did any non-Motown acts guest on any Motown releases?

I'll use the word "guest " to leave it open , but I'm thinking really of signed recording 'artists', not so much outside musicians that were maybe brought in for a session for some reason of necessity.

Lots of collaborations within the Motown family , a common practice, but anybody from outside the hit factory ever join in ?

I'm having a hard time coming up with any ....

Was Sammy Davis Jr. signed with Motown when he did the intro for Shorty Long's "Here Comes the Judge"?

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Was Sammy Davis Jr. signed with Motown when he did the intro for Shorty Long's "Here Comes the Judge"?
    good one !!! from 1968 .... Wiki says Sammy signed in 1970

I hope that I haven't misunderstood the parameters. The Waters on 'Someday We'll Be Together". Merry Clayton on 'Nathan Jones'.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    I hope that I haven't misunderstood the parameters. The Waters on 'Someday We'll Be Together". Merry Clayton on 'Nathan Jones'.
    Yep I would call that 'guesting' !

Follow -up : Why is Merry Clayton on it ????

Bit later, but Aretha Franklin guested on The Four Tops' "What Have We Got To Lose" from their 1983 Motown album Back Where I Belong...

I guess you could count Johnny Bristol and Clarence Paul. What do you say Boogiedown?

I guess you could count Johnny Bristol and Clarence Paul. What do you say Boogiedown?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  21.1 KB
    BOTH those Motown producers had Motown artist contracts. Clarence Paul was still recording solo recordings for Motown when he sang on Little Stevie Wonder records. Maybe Johnny Bristol's Motown artist contract was no longer in effect when he sang on The Supremes' "Some Day We'll Be Together". But, the title of this thread specifies "NON-Motown GUESTS". You can't tell me that producers running a recording session are guests! And you can't tell me that Johnny Bristol and Clarence Paul were NON-Motown artists when they were working for Motown at the very time of the recordings to which you referred.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    If I remember correctly, it is Clydie King who sang on NATHAN JONES.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  21.1 KB
    BOTH those Motown producers had Motown artist contracts. Clarence Paul was still recording solo recordings for Motown when he sang on Little Stevie Wonder records. Maybe Johnny Bristol's Motown artist contract was no longer in effect when he sang on The Supremes' "Some Day We'll Be Together". But, the title of this thread specifies "NON-Motown GUESTS". You can't tell me that producers running a recording session are guests! And you can't tell me that Johnny Bristol and Clarence Paul were NON-Motown artists when they were working for Motown at the very time of the recordings to which you referred.
    OK, had no idea about the details so I retract the suggestions.

Paul Anka sang background on a Stevie Wonder song. Minnie Ripperton too [[does she count?). Michael Jackson was on Rockwell's "Somebody's Watching Me" after his Motown days I think.

Here's three on Stevie Wonder's albums [[all guitarists);
    Jeff Beck guested on Talking Book [[on the song "Looking For Another Pure Love").
    Buzzy Feiten appeared on Music Of My Mind [[on "Superwoman").
    And "Sneaky Pete" Kleinow played on Fulfillingness' First Finale [[on "Too Shy To Say").

Three more from Stevie Wonder's albums;
    Herbie Hancock played keyboards on "As" & George Benson played guitar on "Another Star" [[both from Songs In The Key Of Life).
    And Dizzy Gillespie played trumpet on "Do I Do" [[from Original Musiquarium I).

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Paul Anka sang background on a Stevie Wonder song. Minnie Ripperton too [[does she count?). Michael Jackson was on Rockwell's "Somebody's Watching Me" after his Motown days I think.
    Yes; Paul Anka was on "Heaven Is 10 Zillion Miles Away" & Minnie Ripperton was on "Creepin'" [[both from Stevie Wonder's Fulfillingness First Finale). And that's Michael Jackson [[long after he and The Jacksons left Motown) on Rockwell's "Somebody's Watching Me".

Paul McCartney played guitar on the title track of Stevie Wonder's A Time To Love album.

The Blossoms on Jimmy Webb.

Not sure if it counts - it's not a studio recording - but George Kirby and Kaye Stevens sang together with the Temptations on "The Temptations Show", they also appeared on the Motown LP released from that show.
    Last edited by calvin; 09-24-2020 at 09:58 AM.

Bill Cosby on the Diana! soundtrack as well as Danny Thomas. I recall Cosby was on Motown later.

Michael Jackson on "All I Do" [[Hotter Than July) and "Get It" [[Characters) by Stevie Wonder , and on "Yeah" and "Whatzupwitu" [[ both on the album "Love's Alright") by Eddie Murphy .

Minnie Riperton featured on Leon Ware's Instant Love.

Al Johnson [[formerly of The Unifics) on Tata Vega's "Come In Heaven [[Earth Is Calling)"
    Last edited by calvin; 09-24-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Some very good examples here!

Stevie Wonder especially reached out beyond the Motown walls didn't he. [[ Did he do a lot of recording "off-site" -no pun intended- did he have a home studio for instance?).

Michael Jackson on Rockwell's song likely the most notorious guest appearance. [[?)

So , the Four Tops teamed up with Aretha .....but no single was released ??

Am now listening to the Shorty Long single... are we sure that is Sammy Davis Jr.? It doesn't quite sound like him , I'm thinking.....

or does it .....

???

Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-24-2020 at 02:44 PM.

Jermaine Jackson's "Let Me Tickle Your Fancy" from 1982 was recorded with Devo.

Here he is with 2 [[of 5) members of Devo [[Mark Mothersbaugh and Jerry Casale, as "Spud and Pud Devo") from a Halloween tv show:

Last edited by calvin; 09-26-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

Not from their 1983 collaboration on Motown. But in 1988, when both acts were on Arista, they released the single IF EVER A LOVE THERE WAS.

Still later, in 1995, the Tops were back at Motown for the album CHRISTMAS HERE WITH YOU. Aretha sang on three songs.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Jermaine Jackson's "Let Me Tickle Your Fancy" from 1982 was recorded with Devo.

Here he is with just 2 [[of 5) members of Devo [[Mark Mothersbaugh and either Bob or Jerry Casale, I'm not sure which) from a Halloween tv show:

wow , it's so obvious now that you point it out.

Stevie Wonder especially reached out beyond the Motown walls didn't he. [[ Did he do a lot of recording "off-site" -no pun intended- did he have a home studio for instance?).

Michael Jackson on Rockwell's song likely the most notorious guest appearance. [[?)

Am now listening to the Shorty Long single... are we sure that is Sammy Davis Jr.? It doesn't quite sound like him , I'm thinking.....

or does it .....

???

From The Motown Encyclopedia:
    "Despite this, his first appearance on a Motown record was uttering 'here ye, here ye' on Shorty Long's parody Here Comes the Judge, a song based on Sammy's routine on the Rowan a& Martin Laugh-In"

Yes, I just looked it up in Motown Complete Singles 1968 - "And the spoken introduction is by [Sammy] Davis, soon to enter into a brief deal with Motown."

From The Motown Encyclopedia:
    "Despite this, his first appearance on a Motown record was uttering 'here ye, here ye' on Shorty Long's parody Here Comes the Judge, a song based on Sammy's routine on the Rowan a& Martin Laugh-In"

Carlos Santana guested on Jose Feliciano's version of "Samba Pa Ti".
    Ann Kelley duetted with Jose on "Para Decir Adios" and "Endless Love".

After Stevie Wonder signed his new deal with Motown, he didn't use their studios any longer and recorded in various studios around the country [[I don't know if he has a home studio).

Last edited by Motown Eddie; 09-25-2020 at 10:40 AM.

Siedah Garrett with Dennis Edwards on "Don't Look Any Further".

Garrett had been with the group Plush on RCA before this single, after it she was a solo artist on the Qwest label.

Last edited by calvin; 09-26-2020 at 03:45 AM.

Members of The Moody Blues sang on [[and presumably played on) "Simple Game" and "So Deep Within you" by the Four Tops.

The Voices of Tabernacle sang on the "In Loving Memory" album.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 09-25-2020 at 05:44 PM.

Christine Schumacher on the Supremes "Mother You, Smother You". She also recorded a version of "I Hear a Symphony".

Eddie Murphy’s “Yeah” From 1992 features nearly as many Guest artists as “We Are the World” as they are :
    Babyface, Bon Jovi, Garth Brooks, En Vogue, Johnny Gill, Hammer, Heavy D, Howard Hewitt, Julio Iglesias, Janet Jackson, Michael Jackson, Elton John, Patti LaBelle, Paul McCartney, Teddy Perdergrass, Luther Vandross, Barry White and Stevie Wonder, Herbie Hancock, Stanley Clarke also play even though the are not singing.
    Only a couple were on Motown at the time.

Also Alabama is on Lionel Richie’s “Deep River Woman”

Dionne Warwick sings a solo cut and two duets with Stevie Wonder on “THE WOMAN IN RED” OST

Scherrie and Susaye - Partners album.

Ray Charles on Luvbug.

Eugene McDaniels on two tracks

Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 09-29-2020 at 06:35 AM.

Johnny Gill album

- L.A.& Babyface appear courtesy of Solar, Inc.
    - Kayo appears courtesy of Solar, Inc.
    - Pebbles appears courtesy of MCA Records, Inc.
    - Karyn White apperas courtesy of Warner Bros, Records, Inc.
    - After 7 appear courtesy of Virgin Records America, Inc.
    - Lance Ellington appears courtesy of A&M Records
    - Kenny G appears courtesy of Arista Records
    - The Waters appera courtesy of Water Wheel Records, Inc.

Four Tops and Phyllis Hyman - Maybe Tomorrow

The Magic Album
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 09-29-2020 at 06:34 AM.

Ronnie McNeir & Kim Weston [[years after Kim had left Motown)

Spirit Of Love

Al McKay and Ralph Johnson played guitar and percussion respectively while producing The Temptations' Truly For You album. Al and Ralph were both integral members of Earth Wind & Fire, which was signed to Columbia at the time. Both receive the "appears courtesy of Columbia Records" tagline on the back of the album! Johnny Graham, also of EWF fame, is additionally credited as taking a guitar solo on "My Love Is True."