[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it would be interesting to hear what A&S would have done with Diana in the mid 70s. by that time Diana was a mother and had successfully explored the Lady catalog. the Touch me In the morning package is a wonderful album with thoughtful and beautiful vocals throughout. a new matured sound.

so in 74 or so, how would A&S have helped re-interpret this new Diana?
    Probably would have been much like what they did for themselves on those early Warner Bros. albums like GIMME SOMETHING REAL and I WANNA BE SELFISH. The two duets they produced for the DIANA & MARVIN album sort of point the way to that sound.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    "Stone Love" should have been entitled "One Love". A big hit that should have been the #1 song of the year! Even today, it rocks soul.

Also, "These Things" by Diana Ross was never released as a single and could have been released as "Loving You , Dear".

I often read on forums that it sounds too much like "SWWBT"- I didn't go to the Juilliard School of Music for my looks, I went there to learn classical
    hooks!

I wish Ashford and Simpson had produced more albums for Diana Ross. Ashford and Simpson brought the neighborhood to the studio and Diana Ross brought them the drama of a woman on the verge of something grand beyond the studio.
    I love your idea of Stoned Love being retitled One Love. It could have become a worldwide anthem for peace, tolerance and understanding. It remains a magnificent record and in my top 5 and possibly top 3 Supremes songs.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Probably would have been much like what they did for themselves on those early Warner Bros. albums like GIMME SOMETHING REAL and I WANNA BE SELFISH. The two duets they produced for the DIANA & MARVIN album sort of point the way to that sound.
    GSR and IWBS are killer lps. I stray, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I love your idea of Stoned Love being retitled One Love. It could have become a worldwide anthem for peace, tolerance and understanding. It remains a magnificent record and in my top 5 and possibly top 3 Supremes songs.
    Agreed all around. My guess is that the top-brass thought the word "Stoned" would bring along a trendier crowd, but possibly backfired, and TNSUN's revision to "One" may indeed have brought the single even more airplay.

very interesting idea - and it certainly doesn't radically change the structure of the lyrics to use One instead of Stone

I'm guessing the idea of "Stone" is the everlasting nature of stone and the strength they exhibit. plus a nod to the concept of rock of ages. So you do lose a little bit but some easy lyric adjustment could have solved this

Is the whole story of STONED Love a Motown Myth?

How do you then explain Stoned Soul Picnic doing so well two years prior?

I had that discussion not that long ago. I always find that funny too. The weirdest thing is that they released the duet album that same year with STONED soul picnic. Just does not make any sense. Sometimes I think some things are made up or staged to create a story. We all know how much the Supremes didn't like Where did our love go but then during an interview on a show, can't remember which one, Florence clearly says that it is her favourite song.

It was on Ed Sullivan
    Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    I had that discussion not that long ago. I always find that funny too. The weirdest thing is that they released the duet album that same year with STONED soul picnic. Just does not make any sense. Sometimes I think some things are made up or staged to create a story. We all know how much the Supremes didn't like Where did our love go but then during an interview on a show, can't remember which one, Florence clearly says that it is her favourite song.

Yes I just found it. It was after the medley and Diana says Baby love and Mary You keep me hanging on. Not sure if they were told to say that but of course people can change their mind about a song. I still think a lot was staged like when Cindy says, during a performance in France, that she is 23 also lol.

How telling-Florence left in 1967 after inner group tensions so she would be asking Where Did Our Love Go, Mary stayed the longest and the Supremes really did keep her hanging on and I think Diana liked Baby Love as I remember her saying who would have thought baby love would still be sung after all these years in her 1977 tv special. I wonder what Supremes song Diana Ross likes best now? I know Mary Wilson says that it ls like your children you don't always have a favorite but depending on the time or mood she likes certain ones better to listen to or sing.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Is the whole story of STONED Love a Motown Myth?

How do you then explain Stoned Soul Picnic doing so well two years prior?
    the girls never actually say Stoned. the lyric is Stone and that's what they sing. so why change the word for the title, unless it was a typo

as for the whole story around the lp cover and all, IMO it's more myth than anything else. both the lp and the single were released in october. if the single caused as much stink as some people say, there would have been 0 time to redo a complex gatefold album cover with graphics and intricate die-cuts. perhaps Mary and Motown disagreed on a preliminary design - with Mary wanting the afro image and not the pink stuff. But since when had any of the supremes been involved with their photo shoots, PR images, album art, album song lineup, etc.

I think a lot of this story is just revisionist history. it would certainly have made more sense to call the album SL and use the afro pic. but that's hindsight

controversy or not, SL was a MASSIVE hit - one of the longest running singles for the group. even without hitting #1 on the pop charts