[REMOVE ADS]

Recommendations, please.

Hello. If you had to recommend a book about Motown, which book would it be? I understand that there are many books on the subject, and that there are many aspects of "Motown", but overall, which book did you find to be the "best" or most enjoyable to you? Thank you for your suggestions.

When it comes to books on Motown, my personal feeling is that there really isn't a "best" or definitive book. Each one gives pretty much the same basic story and yet each one gives something unique that the other doesn't.

That said, if I had to pick a favorite, mine would be 1986's "MOTOWN....Hot Wax, City Cool & Solid Gold BOOK" by J. Randy Taraborrelli. I've bought more than a few books on Motown over the years and that one I enjoyed very much. Many minute details about various aspects of Motown's modus operandi and tidbits about various artists.

MOTOWN: THE GOLDEN YEARS by Bill Dahl.

One that I highly recommend is the 344 page book released 5/30/2017 entitled I Hear a Symphony/Motown and Crossover R&B. It you are looking for pictures, etc. there are a limited number of them vs. other books, however Andrew Flory did an outstanding job researching a great many aspects of the Motown legacy. I am certain that anyone who has not read this book will definitely learn something about the Motown that they never knew. I give it a ***** rating.

The Motown Encyclopaedia by Graham Betts is a must for Motown and artist facts.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 09-17-2020 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    The Motown Encyclopaedia by Graham Betts is a must for Motown and artist facts.
    I agree. It's a wonderful 'reference' book with so much information about the artists and the songs.

Quote Originally Posted by lucabella View Post
    Hello. If you had to recommend a book about Motown, which book would it be? I understand that there are many books on the subject, and that there are many aspects of "Motown", but overall, which book did you find to be the "best" or most enjoyable to you? Thank you for your suggestions.
    Do you have a favorite artist or group? That's probably the best place to start. There have also been some great discussions on this blog on just about every artist/group, big and small. That's also a good starting point.

"The Motown Story" by Don Waller [[1985) is never far from my side.

"Hype&Sou! Behind the Scenes at Motown" by Al Abrams [[2011) makes a great coffee-table book.

And if you'd like to try a biography, for sheer readability you won't do better than Raynoma Gordy Singleton's "Berry, Me, and Motown" [[1990).

Further supporting 144man
    There are a plethora of books about Motown, but without exception the most important book concerning Motown, how it was created, how it expanded and became what it was. The must read is: "The Untold Story: Berry Me & Motown" by Raynoma Gordy, Singleton issued in 1990. There are two versions the : original "Warts & all Version" [[That was pulled) and/or the 2nd version that was "revised " following a B.G. meeting with Raynoma !. make up your own mind which one to look for.

It was also this book that also gave an insight into Pre & early Motown records that were recorded & then issued on other labels, [[leaving aside the obvious one's), for example few had any insight prior to this book about Aladdin records involvement with Motown e.g. [[Cute-Teens, Fidelitones) that Berry recorded, we did not really know about these at that time. Also the book was an eye opener as Miss Ray became Miss Motown in 1964 after she and Berry Divorced in 1963 and she went to NYC in 64 to set up the NY Motown offices.

Has anyone actually seen or does anyone actually own a copy of the "Warts & all Version" that was pulled? Some experts doubt the credibility of this allegation.