[REMOVE ADS]

New review from Motown Junkies-The Temptations "Get Ready"

Motown Junkies returns with a review of The Temptations' "Get Ready".

https://motownjunkies.co.uk/2020/09/...ons-get-ready/

Good to see MJ is back doing reviews.

Thanks for the heads up Motown Eddie. So glad he’s back; now I can bookmark him again!

Love the review.

It's a great song and review! I always thought that the drums sounded a bit lightweight on the mono 45 mix in comparison with the stereo mix. Perhaps this was to be more aligned with Eddie's falsetto voice.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    It's a great song and review! I always thought that the drums sounded a bit lightweight on the mono 45 mix in comparison with the stereo mix. Perhaps this was to be more aligned with Eddie's falsetto voice.
    I love the drumming on this track. Pistol, innit? It’s fast and exciting with great fills, but I’ve always found it to be too far back in the mix for maximum impact in both mono and stereo.

Bringing the drums further forward in the mix might have risked making it too “hard” a mix for a 1965 pop audience, however, but it would probably have added a very nice additional slab of funk.

The original drum track which QC didn't seem to keen on, mixed by Lawrence Horn who also did the released 45 mix : -

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by bradburger View Post
    The original drum track which QC didn't seem to keen on, mixed by Lawrence Horn who also did the released 45 mix : -

Cheers

Paul
    Many thanks for sharing this. I'm not quite sure what to make of it at all.

The drumming's too busy in places, too indistinct in a number of places, and a bit of a mess at the end of the instrumental break. The released version is much better.

Apart from the drum track, am I right in thinking that this is the same take as the hit version? It just sounds so dull and uninspired when compared with the hit version in mono or stereo.

Sotosound, it is indeed the same take as the released version, other than the original drum track by Pistol.

I remember hearing Smokey in an interview saying that it originally had an unusual beat, and QC didn't like it, so requested 'a more typical' Motown style one, hence what wound up on the released version.

Whilst it might not be to everyone's taste [[and QCs), it's interesting to listen to the track in it's original form.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 09-16-2020 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradburger View Post
    Sotosound, it is indeed the same take as the released version, other than the original drum track by Pistol.

I remember hearing Smokey in an interview saying that it originally had an unusual beat, and QC didn't like it, so requested 'a more typical' Motown style one, hence what wound up on the released version.

Whilst it might not be to everyone's taste [[and QCs), it's interesting to listen to the track in it's original form.

Cheers

Paul
    Many thanks.

I'm proud to say this acetate still lives in Michigan as a part of my collection. I do plan on making sure it goes to the Motown Museum someday, when I'm done enjoying it.
    Darin

Thanks for the update.
    Really enjoy Motown junkies