[REMOVE ADS]

Some New Motown From Motown!?

Hi everyone... I recently discovered a singer by the name of Joy Denalane, who just released an album on Motown that's actually quite Motown-like! Worth checking out!!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...NQL0sexEpgNgTY

https://www.joydenalane.com/en/

Actually reminds me more 1999, than 2019 or 2009, which is a GREAT thing, as that was the last great year, my opinion that is, when listening to new r&b music, back-to-back-to-back-to-back, out of a r&b radio station, was consistently great, even incredibly fun.

Pity, I got the feeling, the only way I could obtain the album nowadays, would be ordering online, seeing that the new CD market in brick and mortars have been heavily reduced to only carry the same ten - fifteen same annoying million-selling names in pop, country, hard rock, and rap.

I like it and it does have a nice Motown sound. Speaking of which, it seems like it has really suffered an identity issue with its various incarnations with Universal. It looks like they're trying another strategy.
    Does Stevie Wonder still record for Motown? I wasn't able to find anything on the web. He's the only original motown artist who remained on Motown to my knowledge, but not sure if he's still on the label.

the strategy is hip hop and the new 'street' r&b; the label exists in the year 2020, no Marvelettes records in the pipeline anytime soon..

The track I played, "Love Your Love", was pleasant enough for me to want to come back and listen to the whole album when I get the time.

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    I like it and it does have a nice Motown sound. Speaking of which, it seems like it has really suffered an identity issue with its various incarnations with Universal. It looks like they're trying another strategy.
    Does Stevie Wonder still record for Motown? I wasn't able to find anything on the web. He's the only original motown artist who remained on Motown to my knowledge, but not sure if he's still on the label.
    To be honest, in my opinions, it sounds more like that soothing, mellow HI Records sound to me, but in no way whatsoever is that a complaint, as it is still 1000% more digestible than many music of recent years.

100% most likely Stevie's still in Motown, he's always been, always probably will. The thing with him when it comes to twenty first century Stevie Wonder, is that although I have time and again read that he's got a project here, project there, he usually releases them nowadays when we least expect it, just like "A Time To Love" becoming a top ten album, as in POP album, even after all these decades of Stevie. But probably have to take account to his mother's passing likely held back a project, his own previous health issues likely held back another.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 09-18-2020 at 01:57 AM.

Thanks guys, good to hear people like it! I was surprised to see a release on the modern day Motown label that somewhat musically resembles classic Motown!

Kem has also released a new album on Motown which is pretty good too!!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OL...vHtnro_oFzwdvU

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    The track I played, "Love Your Love", was pleasant enough for me to want to come back and listen to the whole album when I get the time.
    Oooh, I'd not even listened to that one properly, I like it a lot!!!!

This one has a northern soul feel to it to me

It reminds me of some DRATS records! So nice.

Good discovery - sounds like proper music to me. She's from Germany it seems.
    Very nice and clear voice.

I love this album! Her vocals remind me of Jean Terrell! It would have been nice to include Joy’s name in the thread title — I was ready to start a thread about this awesome album!

Great to hear your thoughts people!

And yes pgh, maybe I should have mentioned Joy's name in the title... I Ieft it deliberately vague to pique people’s interests of course...

This one reminds me of early '70s Motown...

It features BJ The Chicago Kid, who has also released his own albums on Motown, which are pretty good, albeit more in the contemporary R&B vein

Love this tune! Joy is channeling Miss Ross, while BJ The Chicago Kid does Smokey proud with his sweet vocals...

The bass part is the most "Motown [[Jamerson) sounding" part to me.

Try listening on headphones for the best, cleanest bass reproduction.

...Lord Finesse ...also has a Motown CD in 2020 ...Motown State Of Mind ...produced by El DeBarge ...and Iris Gordy ...among others ...enjoy !

Grape

And let’s not forget the Diana Ross remixed cd. Also on Motown