[REMOVE ADS]

The Jones Girls "We're A Melody" 2CD set [[BBR/Real Gone) 11/6/2020

Description
    The Jones Girls were the premier girl group on the celebrated Philadelphia International Records label as the '70s turned into the '80s, but sisters Shirley, Brenda, and Valorie Jones were actually industry veterans, having released singles on several labels between 1970-75, which led to stints as backing vocalists for Aretha Franklin, Lou Rawls, Teddy Pendergrass, and, most famously, for Diana Ross between 1975-1978. The group enjoyed their own smash hit when 'You Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else' [[R&B #5/Pop #38, here in its rare extended mix) became their debut single for PIR in 1979. Their first album made the R&B top ten, also featuring the quiet storm classic, 'Who Can I Run To,' [[later #1 R&B for Xscape in 1995, also here in a rare extended mix) and further chart singles 'I'm At Your Mercy' and 'We're A Melody.' As well as working with Gamble & Huff and others, they developed a special relationship with Dexter Wansel, who would produce many of their most celebrated recordings. A guest spot on Wansel's own '[[I'll Never Forget) My Favorite Disco' gave the girls a major disco hit. The group returned in 1980 with another top ten album. 'Dance Turned Into A Romance' returned them to the charts [[#22 R&B) and the old-skool ballad 'I Just Love The Man' followed and climbed to R&B #9. Their third album delivered another pair of hits in the form of the funky '[[I Found) That Man Of Mine' [[R&B #20) and the slinky 'Nights Over Egypt' [[R&B #23), which later became a soul/jazz anthem—also featured here in a rare remix by Mike Maurro. A switch to RCA Records in 1983 spawned a couple of hits; 'On Target' and '2 Win U Back' before the group returned to PIR. UK-based Streetwave Records issued a collection on The Jones Girls in 1986 that featured such underground UK favorites as 'At Peace With Woman,' 'Life Goes On,' 'Children Of the Night,' 'Knockin'' and 'Keep It Comin'.' Further UK vinyl single releases later celebrated 'Ah, Ah, Ah, Ah, This Feeling's Killing Me' and the previously unreleased 'Baby Don't Go Yet,' which appears here for the first time on a Jones Girls CD, Featuring a 24-page booklet including rare photos and a brand new interview with Shirley Jones, WE'RE A MELODY: THE ESSENTIAL JONES GIRLS is a 30-track collection featuring one of the most celebrated R&B vocal groups of the 20th century. BBR America in conjunction with Real Gone Music is proud to present for the first time, all of their hits and favorites together in one package with rare extended mixes and CD exclusives—a must for any Philly soul, funk and disco fan.

Tracklist
    [CD1]
    1. You Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else [[12” Version)
    2. [[I Found) That Man Of Mine
    3. Nights Over Egypt
    4. Dance Turned Into A Romance
    5. I?ll Never Forget [[My Favorite Disco) [[12” Version) - Dexter Wansel With The Jones Girls
    6. Let’s Celebrate [[Sittin’ On Top Of The World)
    7. Better Things To Do
    8. I Just Love The Man
    9. I’m At Your Mercy
    10. Get As Much Love As You Can
    11. Baby Don’t Go Yet
    12. We’re A Melody
    13. At Peace With Woman
    14. This Feeling’s Killing Me
    15. Children Of The Night
    16. You Made Me Love You

[CD2]
    1. Keep It Comin’
    2. On Target
    3. You Can’t Have My Love
    4. 2 Win U Back [[12” Version)
    5. Ah, Ah, Ah, Ah
    6. Knockin’
    7. When I’m Gone
    8. Life Goes On
    9. Love Don’t Ever Say Goodbye
    10. Why You Wanna Do That To Me
    11. What A Fool
    12. Who Can I Run To [[12” Version)
    13. I Close My Eyes
    14. Nights Over Egypt [[12” Mike Maurro Remix)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HTM1L57/?tag=imwan-20

This is great news. Thanks for sharing. Something to look forward to. Although I found the quote stating this is a "collection featuring one of the most celebrated R&B vocal groups of the 20th century" to be a bit of a stretch. They certainly never got their dues, but this new collection will help in part.

I too am excited about this one and will probably get it as opposed to The Three Degrees Gold set because I already have enough TD material. I always thought both groups had the best harmonies in the business.

I hope the price is a mistake. UK Amazon quoting nearly twenty five pounds! I've already got much of the material but would buy it at about half that. The recent Anthology series usually started around thirteen, often coming down to ten a few weeks after. I'll keep watch on this but definitely not going down the pre-order route for now.

Import CDs has it for around 16 US dollars.

That's more encouraging news then. It wouldn't help me in the UK but suggests there might be some less expensive options going forward.

I've never heard of BBR America. Big Break Records, the UK label, is pretty much defunct. Some of their titles are repressed and distributed by Cherry Red. I thought Wayne Dickson had moved on to a new label, Groove Line Records.

Wayne Dickson did a two hour set on Groove Line's mixcloud page early September so I'm guessing they still have a connection. The label hasn't released anything in 2020 but has quite a sporadic output anyway. I hope they're ticking over as the quality is usually top notch when a title comes out.

BBR have released some great reissues, often expanded editions, and this looks like another one!!

I went online to pre order this and a msg says Temporarily Out Of Stock. I know it’s not released till next month but have plans changed about release?

Many times a recording is listed as Out Of Stock before the release. This happens often when they are not prepared to take pre-orders or have reached a limit on what they expect to receive.