[REMOVE ADS]

The FLOS as the Supremes

Has anyone else seen this ad from last year? The Flos are being called The Supremes, which isn't exactly true:
    https://www.guide2dubai.com/events/m...s-theatre-show
    Last edited by BobbyC; 09-13-2020 at 03:30 PM.

No it isn't because of Joyce. But are there not other guidelines about how they can call themselves depending on where they perform? But I don't really care because Scherrie and Susaye together is the best we will get to having at least 2/3 of any formation together. Two wonderful singers who both are official Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Has anyone else seen this ad from last year? The Flos are being called The Supremes, which isn't exactly true:
    https://www.guide2dubai.com/events/m...s-theatre-show
    That has been the problem with that group since its inception. It is not the actual group itself but promoters, etc. In different incarnations, there have been CDs released by them [[or re-released) under the moniker the Supremes. I think that is why they now have to go under the clunky moniker Scherrie & Susaye, formerly of the Supremes with Joyce Vincent. If you read the article, it completely says that but promoters, producers etc. do unscrupulous things to get $$$ and artists without a reputable label behind them are at the mercy of such things. If anyone wants to see the Supremes, they know the group has not been in existence since 1977. Anyone who wants to see the Supremes should have that knowledge inside their minds. If they don't then they just don't care. Still, would like to see this grouping perform someday as it was the intended choice had it not disbanded by Motown. The FLOs always have had someone who had a connection to the Supremes as their third partner after the Scherrie Lynda and Jean trio ended. Sundray was initially auditioned to take Cindy's place when they decided to go with Lynda, her sister, instead and Joyce was the choice to take Mary's place had they gone on in 1977. Only Freddi Poole did not have some kind of connection to the group the Supremes, where as Jean, Scherrie,Susaye and Lynda were all former members of the group and Sundray and Joyce were almost members of the Supremes. Still, I am sure many promoters overseas will use the Supremes' name, which they are not. I was always okay with the Former Ladies of The Supremes moniker.

I liked the line up with Freddi better than the Sundray/Joyce units...Freddi is doing quite nicely fitting in the Three Degrees with Valerie and Helen

I guess promoters do whatever they want--it usually costs more to fight this kind of thing than to just let it go. I don't really care--I want them to get lots of work but I doubt Mary would be happy about it. Oh well, it was a year ago so who cares? I was just surprised.

At least they were not promoting Karen or something as the Supremes lol. I don't know if Mary cares that Scherrie and the FLOS are promoted as the Supremes but she shouldn't. Mary, Diana, Cindy, Jean and Lynda are probably never going to reform in any way so why not give Scherrie the Supremes name officially, at least as performing act. At least it's a group of 3 of which at least 2/3 has always been an official Supreme during their tenure at Motown.

True, Tyk 1986

Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    At least they were not promoting Karen or something as the Supremes lol. I don't know if Mary cares that Scherrie and the FLOS are promoted as the Supremes but she shouldn't. Mary, Diana, Cindy, Jean and Lynda are probably never going to reform in any way so why not give Scherrie the Supremes name officially, at least as performing act. At least it's a group of 3 of which at least 2/3 has always been an official Supreme during their tenure at Motown.
    I agree. While Mary has done much to carry on the legacy of the Supremes, it can't be denied that Scherrie hasn't done the same. And Mary and Scherrie seem to get on very well.

I find "Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene, Formerly of the Supremes, with Joyce Vincent" to be so clunky. Plus I think Joyce needs to somehow get recognition for Dawn.

Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    That kind of makes sense. And besides, they were the only two Supremes who did not leave the group. They were still Supremes when Motown[[??) disbanded the group and the group left them.

I wish thye would play Austin. They never come here. I'd like to see Scherrie perform before I cash out.

I think the big issue is they take work away from Mary - and concert work is really the one real source of income left - except with covid even that is gone