[REMOVE ADS]

High Inergy--this clip has me baffled

I have no idea what is going on with this High Inergy performance on soul Train. First off, there are only three girls performing so I'm assuming this clip takes place after Vernessa quit. So we have Barbara singing lead but she's obviously lip syncing to Vernessa's lead vocal. On top of that, this version of you Can't Turn Me off is not the one I know and I used to have both the single and the album as a kid. Can someone explain what is going on here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMhG...pn6zEMv7PQdijM

This clip shows Vernessa, Michelle, and Linda. I remember reading in JET magazine that there was a tv appearance where Barbara didn't appear because she forgot her union papers or was too young or something like that.

Re the version, I don't know. The audio on this clip seems dubbed over.

Interesting. I never could tell who was Vernessa and who was Barbara. Anyhow--there's a whole new verse here that I never heard before. Did you know that when So Right came out, High Inergy was set to open for Diana Ross on her world tour? The whole thing fell through at the last minute, if I recall correctly it was something about insurance problems. Do you remember this? I am told the girls were devastated

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Interesting. I never could tell who was Vernessa and who was Barbara. Anyhow--there's a whole new verse here that I never heard before. Did you know that when So Right came out, High Inergy was set to open for Diana Ross on her world tour? The whole thing fell through at the last minute, if I recall correctly it was something about insurance problems. Do you remember this? I am told the girls were devastated
    Besides YOU CAN'T TURN ME OFF, SHOULDA GONE DANCING, and HE'S A PRETENDER, I never paid much attention to the group. I only remember an article when Vanessa left and Barbara said it was because she wanted to go back to the church.

I loved them but admit that their albums were uneven. They tended to have a few great songs on each one, along with a bunch of filler. The choice of singles was sometimes questionable. I loved Shoulda Gone Dancing and was very surprised when it stiffed completely. Motown was floundering at that point and I don't think they knew what to do with disco.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    I loved them but admit that their albums were uneven. They tended to have a few great songs on each one, along with a bunch of filler. The choice of singles was sometimes questionable. I loved Shoulda Gone Dancing and was very surprised when it stiffed completely. Motown was floundering at that point and I don't think they knew what to do with disco.
    Actually what happened was Barbara was only 16 and forgot her work permit but that was always Vernessa lead.

Yeah somebody came on that thread and said the same thing. I didn't realize that people who were under age needed a permit to perform--after all, they aren't paid to be on Soul Train, or were they?