[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 50 of 50
  1. #1

    Supremes '75 Singles

    Personally, I don't care for the singles output for the start of the Scherrie years. On their own, "He's My Man" and "Where Do I Go From Here" are great songs. I like them both. But it just seems like the wrong direction. I think "You Can't Stop A Girl" should've been the lead single. To me it has a sound that was a perfect direction for the group at this point. A great introduction to Scherrie. Follow it up with "Color My World Blue", which I think follows a similar formula as "Stop A Girl". After that I would've gone with "You Turn Me Around" for a change of pace. I think all three of these had the potential to make the Supremes competitors during this period.

    For some reason "Early Morning Love" was only issued in the UK, but it would've been interesting to see how well the song would've done as an official single in the US. IMO it isn't as disco-y as the other two singles released and thus may have been better received.

    Anyway, thoughts?

  2. #2
    You Can't Stop A Girl" and "You Turn Me Around" would have worked. Also Bend a Little and Can We Love again also works

  3. #3
    I like You can't stop a girl. I also like their early version and think a mix between the two would have worked. The intro of the early version sounds, to me, better.
    You turn me around is a great song especially the first half of the song. Half way it becomes a bit sweetsy. Can we love again is much better than for example Where is it I belong and should have been swapped on the LP. Where is it I belong is such a dreary song. Give out is probably one of my more favourite songs from the album. The beat and Scherrie's phrasing sounds good. As for color my world blue ditch the guitar, or whatever it is, thing in the beginning it really gets on my nerves.

  4. #4
    For me, I sort of lost interest in the Supremes once Jean left. Besides I'M GONNA LET MY HEART DO THE WALKING (which I love) and LET YOURSELF GO, I never heard any of the Scherrie-era material on the radio. This is not a comment on Scherrie because I think she is a great vocalist. I'm just not knocked out by a lot of the material on those last three albums.

    Being a kid at the time, I had to be choosey with my album purchases and I can specifically remember my mom and a record store owner trying to get me to purchase THE SUPREMES (1975) because it was new as opposed to AT THE COPA, which I wanted and did indeed purchase. When I got older and began working, I went back and purchased those last three albums. While there are some good moments on each, they are the Supremes albums that I play the least.

    From THE SUPREMES (1975), I think HE'S MY MAN was a fine single. For another release, I might have gone with EARLY MORNING LOVE and maybe COLOR MY WORLD BLUE and GIVE OUT, BUT DON'T GIVE UP..

    From HIGH ENERGY, the only other single I hear besides WALKING is YOU'RE WHAT'S MISSING IN MY LIFE.

    MARY, SCHERRIE, and SUSAYE is an album I never got into. So I barely remember what most of the songs sound like. But I think LET YOURSELF GO would have been a better choice for the first single. I even think YOU ARE THE HEART OF ME might have been a good candidate for single release.

  5. #5
    I agree with all above.
    I like Sha la bandit
    Bend a little
    Can't stop a girl
    Color my world blue
    Can we love again
    Gonna let my heart
    What's missing in my life
    Let yourself go
    Sweet dream machine

  6. #6
    "Can We Love Again" should've definitely replaced "Where Is It I Belong", but I don't hear it as a single.

  7. #7
    Nor do I but, Can we love again, definitely would have made the flow listening to the LP better. Mary has a good voice but that song, where is it I belong, is just awful. It's not even Mary's voice it's the song! Can anyone make that song sound good?
    If they wanted to choose a ballad as single then I'd probably go for Don't let my teardrops bother you. I think Mary sang it much better than Dionne Warwick.

  8. #8
    My vote is for "It's All Been Said Before".

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    My vote is for "It's All Been Said Before".
    Agreed. Motown really 'let the boat sail away' on that one. I seem to recall that the story on that one was that Suzanne de Passe and Motown wanted it to be the first lead single, and Mary and Pedro pushed for He's My Man instead. He's My Man is a good song, but for me, It's All Been Said Before is a much stronger song and would have been a great choice for the first single.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    Nor do I but, Can we love again, definitely would have made the flow listening to the LP better. Mary has a good voice but that song, where is it I belong, is just awful. It's not even Mary's voice it's the song! Can anyone make that song sound good?
    If they wanted to choose a ballad as single then I'd probably go for Don't let my teardrops bother you. I think Mary sang it much better than Dionne Warwick.
    Yes, "Teardrops" would've been a great single. And I'm of the same opinion, Mary has the superior version to Dionne's for my personal taste.

    "Where Is It I Belong" is stunning for being a song where it seems like everything should work, but none of it does. Vocally, Mary sounds fine. But her smoky voice, those dreary lyrics and that dragging track make for a perfect storm of "yikes". I can't believe it made the cut for the album while other things got canned.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Agreed. Motown really 'let the boat sail away' on that one. I seem to recall that the story on that one was that Suzanne de Passe and Motown wanted it to be the first lead single, and Mary and Pedro pushed for He's My Man instead. He's My Man is a good song, but for me, It's All Been Said Before is a much stronger song and would have been a great choice for the first single.
    "Said Before" was a cover of a song that had already been on a Bobby Hutton album the year before. I wonder if there was hesitation on leading off with a cover song. I think it was worthy of a single, but not the initial single. Scherrie really turns in a fire performance on it.

  12. #12
    Here is Bloodstone's version of It's All Been Said Before. I like it very much.This could have been at hit in the clubs
    https://youtu.be/f2B_9rPEfv4?list=RDf2B_9rPEfv4

  13. #13
    Didn't even know about those two versions nor that the Supremes' version is actually a cover. Donnie and Marie Osmond did a version of this song too. I don't really like the intro bit of It's all been said before but Scherrie is good especially her build up towards the first refrain. I do stick with that Color my world blue should not have been released. Again Scherrie is fantastic but the backing track doesn't do it for me. I would mix Scherrie's voice with the backing track of Ann Sexton's version and than you got a good version. Just personal preference. The Supremes version's backing track just seems all over the place. (the critical bitch i am lol)

    Give out but never give up has also been sung in Spanish by a group Greta Y los Garbo and, I know this is not from the 75 LP, Till the boats sails away has been covered by a Japanese singer Hiromi Iwasaki.

  14. #14
    It's all been said before. Forgot about this gem.
    I would have released it as a single in 74 ....and sha la bandit

  15. #15
    I think It's All Been Said Before is probably Scherrie's greatest vocal as a Supreme. She just soars on that song. Whether you like the song or not, you have to admit her vocal is masterful, stunning.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    I think It's All Been Said Before is probably Scherrie's greatest vocal as a Supreme. She just soars on that song. Whether you like the song or not, you have to admit her vocal is masterful, stunning.
    I couldn't agree more! I don't know where in the scheme of things this was recorded, but it clearly was a great way to start the "new" group.

  17. #17
    I do like He's My Man. I just felt Where Do I Go From Here? was just not the best follow up single. I would have been fine with Its All Been Said Before as the first and He's My Man as the follow up or vice versa. Early Morning Love was another nice contender. The real miss was not having Bend A Little included on the LP, that would have done very well. Still this grouping of Supremes had the best harmony, had great pizzazz that was missing from the latter day Jean grouping and Scherrie's and Mary's vocals sparked alot of hope that they would start off once again to be Supreme Hit makers.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I couldn't agree more! I don't know where in the scheme of things this was recorded, but it clearly was a great way to start the "new" group.
    You know, Mary, when I first heard that song I recall thinking Scherrie couldn't possibly press her voice higher--but she did every time! She maintained volume, pitch, and that beautiful tone she just naturally has. To my mind, Scherrie was a phenom.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    "Can We Love Again" should've definitely replaced "Where Is It I Belong", but I don't hear it as a single.
    totally agree. Where is one of the most idiotic things the girls ever recorded. Can We Love is a strong song but the chorus lyrics needed a bit more. the endless repeating of the song title begins to wear thin. a few minor tweaks and it could have been a much much stronger song. But even as is, it should have been included in favor of some of the weaker Sup 75 tracks

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    You know, Mary, when I first heard that song I recall thinking Scherrie couldn't possibly press her voice higher--but she did every time! She maintained volume, pitch, and that beautiful tone she just naturally has. To my mind, Scherrie was a phenom.
    It's a lot of WHAT IFS but I wonder if Cindy had stayed and if the Supremes had continued past the disco era, what kind of product they might have released? I love Susaye, but the MSC era is probably my favorite of the 70s groupings. I think they had the goods to be relevant in the 80s like the Pointer Sisters.

  21. #21
    now that i'm working from home, i've been able to start adding in the detailed track dates into my Supremes Timeline excel sheet lololol. the Expanded Edition booklets were digital on so they were on my phone - easy to use that at my desk at the office to enter in the data. but i couldn't really plop down the LYG book on my desk lolol. fortunately the pandemic has provided me with the opportunity to fill this time period in

    I firmly believe that motown and the sups should have simply taken the material from producers Michael Lloyd (It's all been said and Shoop) and Ivey & Woodford and pulled together a solid pop lp. the material shines, Scherrie is amazing, Mary has quite a few nice featured spotlights and the content is as pop-radio friendly as anything else being released in spring 75.

    during 75 you had the Carpenters at #1 with Please Mr Postman, Barry Manilow's Mandy, Have you never been mellow, Love Will keep us together. It's all Been Said Before was a perfectly solid pop tune and both Lloyd productions were complete by mid/late DEc 74. You could have issued the single in Jan and kicked off a new year with a new/relaunched Supremes. most of the Ivey and Woodford material was done by March/April and so the lp could have been packaged up and released right then along with single #2 - Can't Stop A Girl. or perhaps Color My World Blue.

    The disco content on Sup 75 started being recorded in Jan with Dance Fever, produced by Hal Davis. In March you have Hal doing more work along with Hollands starting up with Where Do I Go. He's My Man was recorded in April. So you could have finished up these disco numbers and then done a second lp for the fall/holiday of 75.

  22. #22
    I do agree though that most of the disco numbers on Sup 75 are bland. HMM is the strongest, though a bit silly. still it had a powerful backing track and had Scherrie's powerhouse vocals been used instead of Mary's sleepy lead, it might have done better.

    The rest are ok - I Can Never Recover is one of the stronger tracks IMO but left off the album. it might have been ok as a single.

    Still none of this dance material was anywhere near as strong as Walking.

  23. #23
    Yes some of the unreleased was actually not that bad at all. Bend a Little, I can never recover, Can we love again etc. Maybe the album lacked a theme and sound. It' seems we have disco, pop and ballads all on 1 album. I do think they should have given Scherrie more lead than Mary as it was her debut album so people could get used to her voice. Keep "You turn me around" and "Can we love again" as the ballads with Mary on lead. It's all been said before, reworked for single release and then He's my Man as second release so at least we have a Mary, Scherrie duet.
    I do find that Mary took over on soul train. Scherrie only sang lead, and then only as duet, on He's my man. They should have showcased Scherrie with a strong song that could have taken them back into the charts.
    I also wish that Scherrie and Susaye were given more freedom in creativity during their tenure as Supremes. Would they have come up with the same songs they did on their Partners LP?

  24. #24
    the girls worked with these producers:

    Michael Lloyd - It's all Been Said and Shoop Song

    Holland brothers - early Morning love, where do i go from here and i can never recover

    Ivey & Woodford - can't stop a girl, color my world blue, give out, you turn me around, sha la bandit, bend a little

    greg wright - he's my man

    mark david - where is it i belong, can we love again

    hal davis - this is why, dance fever, mr boogie, seed of love


    Ivey and woodford really experimented with the group, at least based on what has been released to us fans. there are different versions of songs, testing different leads or group leads.

    Dance Fever apparently had 3 versions mixed.

    And George has commented that there are longer and/or unedited versions of some of the dance tracks

  25. #25
    I do like the even split of leads on the album. Also all of the 75 tv appearances are Mary heavy not just ST.
    Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    Yes some of the unreleased was actually not that bad at all. Bend a Little, I can never recover, Can we love again etc. Maybe the album lacked a theme and sound. It' seems we have disco, pop and ballads all on 1 album. I do think they should have given Scherrie more lead than Mary as it was her debut album so people could get used to her voice. Keep "You turn me around" and "Can we love again" as the ballads with Mary on lead. It's all been said before, reworked for single release and then He's my Man as second release so at least we have a Mary, Scherrie duet.
    I do find that Mary took over on soul train. Scherrie only sang lead, and then only as duet, on He's my man. They should have showcased Scherrie with a strong song that could have taken them back into the charts.
    I also wish that Scherrie and Susaye were given more freedom in creativity during their tenure as Supremes. Would they have come up with the same songs they did on their Partners LP?

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I do like the even split of leads on the album. Also all of the 75 tv appearances are Mary heavy not just ST.
    I liked the idea of the group evolving into more than just 1 lead and 2 BG girls. so it was nice to hear Mary on more than 1 token song on an lp. I just don't think the ones they used were always the best choice. Obviously a solid ballad like Turn Me Around is right up her alley. but i don't think she came across all that strong on HMM or Early Morning.

    I do think that mid-tempo pace of a song like Can We Love Again or later on HE You're What's Missing In My Life worked quite well and gave her something other than the typical ballads.

    and a song we all say we love but we don't really dive into much is Sweet Dream Machine. again, sort of a mid tempo tune but steamy and sultry. Mary's verse is excellent - as is Scherrie's overall lead and Susaye's verse too.

  27. #27
    Here's one thought: doesn't the Sha-La Bandit, It's All Been Said Before, and of course, the Shoop Shoop Song have a 1950's feel?

    When you look at movies and TV of the time, you've got American Graffiti (1973) and Happy Days (1974).

    Perhaps a whole album with that "throwback" feel might have appealed more?

  28. #28
    i think the Lloyd and Ivy/Woodford tunes combine both nicely. yes there's a throwback or two but Color and Bend A Little were definitely contemporary.

    plus then you had Give Out with a sort of country feel to it. a nice variety but with a cohesiveness

  29. #29
    I like the Ivy n Woodford songs mostly and lloyd...tracks.
    Love color my world blue

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Agreed. Motown really 'let the boat sail away' on that one. I seem to recall that the story on that one was that Suzanne de Passe and Motown wanted it to be the first lead single, and Mary and Pedro pushed for He's My Man instead. He's My Man is a good song, but for me, It's All Been Said Before is a much stronger song and would have been a great choice for the first single.
    Totally agree.

    Color My World Blue and You Can't Stop A Girl in Love were good choices.

    He's My Man and Early Morning Love just are not very good songs - but there may have been a feeling that they reflected the current sound better at the time they were released.

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I do like the even split of leads on the album. Also all of the 75 tv appearances are Mary heavy not just ST.
    The Soultrain appearance was just the one that came up in me. I'll have a quick look around Youtube . No problem with Mary singing lead, who am I to say that lol, but the song choices were not all very good. High energy is a much better package,my opinion. One side the more uptempo disco song with Scherrie and the other Mary singing her beautiful ballads.
    As for the Soul Train appearance. Just wish they did He's my man, one Mary song and one Scherrie song. Nothing against Mary but it's just something personal because I work a lot with the new people at my work. Promoting their first album with Scherrie I feel they should have given her at least 1 solo song on Soul train. Something like:" Here's Scherrie our newest member and she's going to sing.... from our latest album".

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    The Soultrain appearance was just the one that came up in me. I'll have a quick look around Youtube . No problem with Mary singing lead, who am I to say that lol, but the song choices were not all very good. High energy is a much better package,my opinion. One side the more uptempo disco song with Scherrie and the other Mary singing her beautiful ballads.
    As for the Soul Train appearance. Just wish they did He's my man, one Mary song and one Scherrie song. Nothing against Mary but it's just something personal because I work a lot with the new people at my work. Promoting their first album with Scherrie I feel they should have given her at least 1 solo song on Soul train. Something like:" Here's Scherrie our newest member and she's going to sing.... from our latest album".
    i guess the problem is that starting in 75, Mary was making it clear this was HER group. there was always that conflict between M and Jean previously over the group direction and all. and jean really did 99% of the vocal work. I will give Mary credit for stepping up. it's just a shame though for such an immense talent like Scherrie to not be featured more prominently.

  33. #33
    At this point it is her group. I wouldn’t say Jean did 99% but she did do most of the leads.
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i guess the problem is that starting in 75, Mary was making it clear this was HER group. there was always that conflict between M and Jean previously over the group direction and all. and jean really did 99% of the vocal work. I will give Mary credit for stepping up. it's just a shame though for such an immense talent like Scherrie to not be featured more prominently.

  34. #34
    I loved the LP....This Is Why I Believe in you gets on my nerves. After I got accustomed to the BG vocals and who was doing what, it sang to IMHO the worst cut on the LP. It just sounds like a real hot mess....He's My Man would have been a nice remix effort for the DJ's/club market. A extended 12" mix should have been done....there were lots of syrupy ballards at the time, so I will leave Where is It I Belong alone...the lyrics may leave a lot to be desired, but the style was great for Mary's smokey alto. Color My World Blue with the spoken treatments may have worked for Pop/RnB...the live TV arrangements were, as always with MSC and MSS, too brassy...they needed more airplay and less TV exposure

  35. #35
    I like the idea of Color my world blue with a more spoken treatment and heavier R&B sounding treatment. I've always preferred the backing track of Ann Sexton's version. But would that have worked in '75.

    Yes it was more or less Mary's group in 75. Scherrie has talent and wrote songs so why not utilize that to your advantage.

  36. #36
    saying that it's "Mary's group" implies a few things:

    1. that she was the lead singer - she wasn't, she shared the leads
    2. that she had the strongest pop voice - she didn't, gorgeous ballad voice and probably more a jazz voice.
    3. that she had a strong and clear strategic direction for the group - questionable, bringing in Pedro clearly wasn't a good idea. trying to build a platform for her pop solo launch, not a great idea. and in the various books, many of the other questionable decisions have been highlighted
    4. that she had the longest group tenure - yep, she sure did

    again, i don't think Mary should have resorted back to a role like in the DRATS era where she never spoke in the stage act, had hardly any contributions to the lps and one token song in the live act. I really like the idea of the group evolving into a multi-lead arrangement. But Scherrie was one of the biggest talents to ever sing in the group. And her abilities and potential were greatly marginalized in an effort to showcase Mary more

  37. #37
    Yes I like that they didn't restrict two girls by just standing pretty in the background during the 70's unlike the late 60's. There was more interaction during their live shows. Maybe not to everyone's taste but I enjoy it. When watching the live shows from the late 60's Mary and Cindy are muted and hardly say anything except for the planned 1 or 2 words. What would they have given Cindy for song if she was allowed to sing lead on at least 1 song or even a verse. Always felt disappointed that she wasn't given any solo lines. On New ways we have her solo lines on Bridge over troubled water, Touch in unison on Nathan Jones and her brief solo lines on Touch, Floy Joy LP some solo lines and a spoken passage.

  38. #38
    Bridge is a lovely recording. i get it that the sound effects were a new and fancy recording toy so i can easily overlook the fog horn and thunder. All three women sound amazing on this track. their individual lead verses are great and Cindy's is so beautiful. Some people have criticized her singing, saying she was rather weak. And while she might not have the range or versatility of Jean, Diana or Scherrie, when used properly it was gorgeous. She is rather reminiscent of Marilyn Monroe - a warm, sulty, sexy voice. For her group work she's a 2nd soprano but many of her best solo bits are utilizing her lower range

    I also like her lead part in All I Want when they did Sonny and Cher with Scherrie

  39. #39
    I do and I know someone out there has a clean version of that song without the background hiss and audience. I've heard it. It was on Youtube for a short while and I wasn't able to download it. It would have been a nice addition to the Final Sessions Compilation.

  40. #40
    Yeah I think Teardrops should have been a single. Everyone I ever played it for liked it. missed opportunity for sure

  41. #41
    i think it the group had been doing stronger on the charts and had had a few good sized hits, then yes Teardrops would have worked nicely as a single. If a more pop version of Sup 75 had been released and the singles like It's All Been Said, Color and/or Can't Stop a Girl, there's a CHANCE the group could have re-established with the general public and had some solid hits.

    if that had happened and you had healthy Top 40 action, then their disco music would have most likely charted better. and then yes, i think Teardrops would have worked well

    with the actual series of events, with Walking just hitting #40, I don't think Teardrops would have worked as a follow up. at least not as a follow that would have done any better. While it's not a guarantee it would have hit, I think if they had focused hard and solid on Let Yourself Go as the followup, maybe it would have charted.

  42. #42
    Almost all of the tracks recorded for '75 are winners for me, but it was what made the final cut that made the album feel so un-cohesive.

    I would have released the singles as follows: It's All Been Said Before, He's My Man, Bend A Little.

    Personally, I have my own mix of the album as follows: Side A: He's My Man, I Can Never Recover, Early Morning Love, Where Do I Go From Here, Bend A Little. Side B: The Sha-La Bandit (multi-lead version), It's All Been Said Before, You Can't Stop A Girl In Love, Color My World Blue, Give Out But Don't Give Up (SP lead), You Turn Me Around.

    I think the album would have seemed more cohesive if there had been a "Disco" side and a "Pop" side.

  43. #43
    I like the Disco side pop side idea Thornton. Thats why I like High energy so much. It has that A-side disco uptempo and B-side ballads.

    Anyone ever noticed the chit chat of Mary, Cindy and Scherrie on the Mary lead version of Give out but don't give up. I like Scherrie's version the best but the other two have a lots of good bits too. The group version sounds more like a Mary/ Cindy duet. I like how Scherrie joins Mary half way on each verse on Mary's lead version. I wonder if there are more takes of this song. They seem to have been experimenting quite a lot with this ong, vocal, wise.

  44. #44
    How about Room at the Top? I think I've read that they didn't think the song fitted on the High Energy LP. Would a remixed single version have worked during 76? I actually like the song and the clapping at the end gives me them gospel vibes.

  45. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    I like the Disco side pop side idea Thornton. Thats why I like High energy so much. It has that A-side disco uptempo and B-side ballads.

    Anyone ever noticed the chit chat of Mary, Cindy and Scherrie on the Mary lead version of Give out but don't give up. I like Scherrie's version the best but the other two have a lots of good bits too. The group version sounds more like a Mary/ Cindy duet. I like how Scherrie joins Mary half way on each verse on Mary's lead version. I wonder if there are more takes of this song. They seem to have been experimenting quite a lot with this ong, vocal, wise.
    the 2-sided approach might have worked. but IMO the pop material was really, really strong. whereas much of the disco content from Sup 75 is so so. Same with when i've tried to "play producer" with a disco album for Diana instead of Ross 78. technically there's enough material for 35 - 40 mins. but it's not all that great.

    the pop material SMC did is contemporary and high quality. the only track that is sort of a throw away is the Shoop song. they sound perfectly fine on it and it certainly wouldn't be a major problem to include it.

  46. #46
    here's another topic regarding Sup 75 that we've not really explored:

    the 2 "Can't Stop A Girl In Love"

    the one found on the lp is simply a flawless pop recording. Scherrie is just perfect, the track sounds great and the backgrounds are excellent. it's probably my #1 song from the SMC lineup.

    But what do you think about the unreleased version from the LYG set? quite an interesting and engaging reinterpretation. totally different a frankly just about as good!

    what do you think about doing a Part 1 and Part 2 on the album?

  47. #47
    I have mentioned that song and it's unreleased version several times but nobody replied. I do like the song and it's unreleased version on the final sessions compilation. The intro of both versions sound so different from one another. The released version has this bouncy almost corny, to me, intro which might even have worked in the mid 70's. But I prefer the intro from the unreleased one. It sounds more funky. Rework that version for single a bit and add Mary and Cindy and you've sold me single lol. Someone who was around in the 70's probably can tell which version would have worked best when in concern general taste for music at the time.

  48. #48
    I know this is almost impossible and we've has all the unreleased stuff on the final sessions but an expanded Supremes '75 edition would be great. We've only got another 8 studio album to go before we reach this album lol. Just be nice to get all the stuff from the '75 sessions together on 1 or 2 CD. For example the multi lead sha la bandit which was already released on the 70's anthology but I still missed it on the final sessions and the prerecorded version of All I want from the Sonny and Cher show.

  49. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    I have mentioned that song and it's unreleased version several times but nobody replied. I do like the song and it's unreleased version on the final sessions compilation. The intro of both versions sound so different from one another. The released version has this bouncy almost corny, to me, intro which might even have worked in the mid 70's. But I prefer the intro from the unreleased one. It sounds more funky. Rework that version for single a bit and add Mary and Cindy and you've sold me single lol. Someone who was around in the 70's probably can tell which version would have worked best when in concern general taste for music at the time.
    i like both too! and it's surprising how totally different they are. I think i have to lean towards the released one. it's just so catchy. but the other does have a great funk-light appeal about it. would be interesting to hear how Ivey and Woodford might have developed more around that style and sound for the girls

  50. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    I know this is almost impossible and we've has all the unreleased stuff on the final sessions but an expanded Supremes '75 edition would be great. We've only got another 8 studio album to go before we reach this album lol. Just be nice to get all the stuff from the '75 sessions together on 1 or 2 CD. For example the multi lead sha la bandit which was already released on the 70's anthology but I still missed it on the final sessions and the prerecorded version of All I want from the Sonny and Cher show.
    while i don't know that there's necessarily enough for a full Sup 75 EE, there's definitely enough for a 70s Lost & Found. i would guess a 2 cd set with about 2/3 being Jean-era material. But George has said there are longer versions of many of the disco tracks plus different mixes of Walking still exist. so there's certainly material still

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.