[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Almost 60 year old stories or history depend on who you talk to. Doesnt matter anymore imo.
    Agreed I've had these stories told so many different ways and from so many different sources that I am like ahhh ok. I think growing up in the Brewster Projects and in the inner city of Detroit that Diana was ghetto as hell and a tomboy to boot with three brothers and 2 sisters in her clan. So when these folks say they were going to beat her down, I am like ok well you are going know that she was a scrapper and she is not walking away from a fight. However, with that being said and most of these folks gone on to glory I don't believe any of it.

let me just add this about Patti --- So she wanted to beat down Diana about the outfits because she went out and got them which sounds similar to a Martha Reeves story. Didn't Mary and Fo wear the outfits too ? So apparently Mary and Flo were not against it and Patti was going to have to beat all three Supremes. Love Patti but she is drama.

I wonder how it would twist the story if I told everyone that it was Mary and Diana that went out and found the outfits.

Anyway such a long time ago,,,lets move on.
    Last edited by captainjames; 09-20-2020 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    I personally think Mary or somebody else would have written about it it, had it actually happened. This story shall be filed under unproven.
    In the tv e true hollywood. Diana Ross riche busche a Motown historian tells the story stating it happened backstage after rehearsal and it took three men to get flo off diana.

Well I'll probably get in trouble for saying this, but Patti has a tendency to make things up. Back in the very early 2000's, Patti was running around saying that Labelle was reuniting, and that Cindy was going to be part of it. I was shocked and thrilled that Labelle was going to get back together, but didn't get how or why Cindy would be a part of it--So I called someone from the Labelle camp and asked. I was told in no uncertain terms that there were no plans at that time for any reunion since Patti and Nona were very busy and their schedules wouldn't allow it. Yes Patti, Nona and Sarah had occasionally spoken about reforming for a project but this was years before that actually happened. When I mentioned the fact that Patti said Cindy would be involved, my friend got almost angry. She said NO there was never even a mention of getting together with Cindy. Not one word. I was told that Patti had a habit of telling people what she thought they wanted to hear.

No Bobby, you won't. Some of us started to notice Patti can be a little...off, you might say lol

I think Patti read Martha Reeves' book on when she and the other Vandellas [[Annette and Roz) confronted DMF over them wearing the same dresses and wanted to make her feud with Diana bigger than it was.

The real story is Patti and Diana were friendly BEFORE Cindy abruptly left the Bluebelles to join the Supremes and she didn't really think too kindly of Diana until they recorded their vocal parts for a We Are the World-like cover of We Are Family in 2002 and then their friendship fully repaired at Oprah's Legends Ball.

Patti LIVES for the drama, honey. Which is probably why I've been a fan since 89 lol

Well I'll probably get in trouble for saying this, but Patti has a tendency to make things up. Back in the very early 2000's, Patti was running around saying that Labelle was reuniting, and that Cindy was going to be part of it. I was shocked and thrilled that Labelle was going to get back together, but didn't get how or why Cindy would be a part of it--So I called someone from the Labelle camp and asked. I was told in no uncertain terms that there were no plans at that time for any reunion since Patti and Nona were very busy and their schedules wouldn't allow it. Yes Patti, Nona and Sarah had occasionally spoken about reforming for a project but this was years before that actually happened. When I mentioned the fact that Patti said Cindy would be involved, my friend got almost angry. She said NO there was never even a mention of getting together with Cindy. Not one word. I was told that Patti had a habit of telling people what she thought they wanted to hear.
    It would have been nice if Cindy could have joined them.

I saw the Labelle "Back to Now" reunion concerts at the Apollo and at the Beacon in NYC. At the latter show, they had a Q&A. I asked why they weren't doing any Bluebelles material. Nona replied that the show would have been too long, Patti started singing the first notes of DOWN THE AISLE, and Sarah said that if the tour went on longer, maybe they could get Cindy to sing with them. Too bad it didn't happen.
    Last edited by reese; 09-23-2020 at 02:13 PM.

I have no doubt that Patti would have dragged Cindy onstage had Cindy been at one of their shows, but I think Cindy was already sick at the time. And yeah Patti is all over the place, personality wise. She was downright rude to Sarah Dash when they got inducted into the R&B Hall of Fame [[I think that was the name of it) and Sarah cried afterwards, saying she had no idea why Patti "acted that way." Patti said something like "this is why we didn't get a long back then" because Sarah always interrupted Patti. I never saw Sarah interrupt Patti, but even if she did, I think Sarah had the right to speak if she wanted to. Anyway, it's all water under the bridge at this point and I guess they fight like sisters fight.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It would have been nice if Cindy could have joined them.

I saw the Labelle "Back to Now" reunion concerts at the Apollo and at the Beacon in NYC. At the latter show, they had a Q&A. I asked why they weren't doing any Bluebelles material. Nona replied that the show would have been too long, Patti started singing the first notes of DOWN THE AISLE, and Sarah said that if the tour went on longer, maybe they could get Cindy to sing with them. Too bad it didn't happen.
    You can tell of the three that Patti really missed singing the Bluebelles songs.

I have no doubt that Patti would have dragged Cindy onstage had Cindy been at one of their shows, but I think Cindy was already sick at the time. And yeah Patti is all over the place, personality wise. She was downright rude to Sarah Dash when they got inducted into the R&B Hall of Fame [[I think that was the name of it) and Sarah cried afterwards, saying she had no idea why Patti "acted that way." Patti said something like "this is why we didn't get a long back then" because Sarah always interrupted Patti. I never saw Sarah interrupt Patti, but even if she did, I think Sarah had the right to speak if she wanted to. Anyway, it's all water under the bridge at this point and I guess they fight like sisters fight.
    Patti is the big sister. Nona and Sarah are like her rebellious younger sisters to her. But she used to write in her biography how she felt Nona and Sarah had turned against her after she made that decision to have her son Zuri in 1973, which came around the time Pressure Cookin' came out. Apparently, Labelle were on their way to being properly promoted by RCA [[they had a song Stevie Wonder wrote for them, plus their mixture of sexual lyrics and political anthems and their glammed out image - check out the cover! This was a year before the Met performance in 1974) and just as things were happening, Patti got pregnant and had Zuri and I guess she never got over it. That definitely played influence into the group breaking up just three years later. Of course what probably went wrong with Labelle was a complex thing. Nona and Sarah could write their own thoughts into what caused the breakup but they probably won't out of respect to their elder "soul sister" and I honestly don't blame them.

That sucks that Patti got into it with Sarah. Too old to be doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Patti is the big sister. Nona and Sarah are like her rebellious younger sisters to her. But she used to write in her biography how she felt Nona and Sarah had turned against her after she made that decision to have her son Zuri in 1973, which came around the time Pressure Cookin' came out. Apparently, Labelle were on their way to being properly promoted by RCA [[they had a song Stevie Wonder wrote for them, plus their mixture of sexual lyrics and political anthems and their glammed out image - check out the cover! This was a year before the Met performance in 1974) and just as things were happening, Patti got pregnant and had Zuri and I guess she never got over it. That definitely played influence into the group breaking up just three years later. Of course what probably went wrong with Labelle was a complex thing. Nona and Sarah could write their own thoughts into what caused the breakup but they probably won't out of respect to their elder "soul sister" and I honestly don't blame them.

That sucks that Patti got into it with Sarah. Too old to be doing that.
    It does seem like their relationship is like that of sisters: sometimes you like, sometimes you don't. But you always love. And I give them credit in that it seems that they get past any rough patches. I think I saw footage of Patti at some recent celebration for Sarah's birthday so they must have put whatever happened behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It does seem like their relationship is like that of sisters: sometimes you like, sometimes you don't. But you always love. And I give them credit in that it seems that they get past any rough patches. I think I saw footage of Patti at some recent celebration for Sarah's birthday so they must have put whatever happened behind them.
    Yeah. Patti is extra but she does care for her friends. That's one thing I give her a lot of kudos for. And I know about her history with her and Dionne Warwick getting on each other's nerves [[over Patti singing lol) but it's never a permanent thing. I read Patti's book a while back on Archive.org. It seems like they would occasionally have knock out, drag down fights during the Bluebelles years but the fights would be over real quick. The fact they forgave each other after everything: Cindy's abrupt split from the Supremes, Nona's mental breakdown in Baltimore, even the Patti and Sarah incident, etc., is a testament to their unity and loyalty.

I agree Midnight. Labelle reunited 5 or 6 times [[R&B Hall of Fame, BET Walk of Fame, an appearance at Madison Square Garden with Liza M, Back to Now, To Wong Foo, Release Yourself, etc.) so obviously they might fight but they make up. Patti and Sarah sang on Nona's records, and Patti sang on Sarah's too. Nona never has anything bad to say about anybody, by the way. I really doubt anybody is still angry with Cindy, that would be ridiculous. So anyway, all is well in Bluebelle land.