[REMOVE ADS]

David Ruffin reported to have recorded songs at United Sound System studios.

I read this in an article from the Michigan Chronicle about Don Davis when his story was published after his death.

In the ’70s, Davis formed a record production and music publishing company called Groovesville. He also purchased United Sound recording studio, utilized by such artists as the Dramatics, George Clinton, the Dells and David Ruffin.

Does anyone know what songs David Ruffin recorded at USS?????

His two Warner Brothers LPs were produced by Davis and probably cut at USS.

True...I was personally at an evening vocal session with Ruffin, Don, my brother who arranged the project,, and a female backup singer for the album So Soon We Change... They were working on the song "Break My Heart" at the time as I recall ...

This is probably what you are after..alternate to Steve Mancha version

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-fZGaaZ4nDc

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    This is probably what you are after..alternate to Steve Mancha version

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-fZGaaZ4nDc
    Sorry, but I'm talking about THIS from the late 70's... My brother was the arranger on two Don Davis produced Ruffin albums and came back to Detroit while I still lived there to work on the project...
    https://youtu.be/obJwxJLEM0g
    Last edited by StuBass1; 09-10-2020 at 03:47 PM.

I think "Still in my heart" was around the time David was forced out of the group. The tale is that he was at Don's studio and sang over the backing track lying on his back...probably after or during some "refreshment"
    This was discovered when Goldmine records [[UK) released a lot of Don Davis 1960s masters in the early 90s.
    Last edited by snakepit; 09-10-2020 at 04:05 PM.

Steve Mancha's 45 original.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BsOLiygwXrI

I think "Still in my heart" was around the time David was forced out of the group. The tale is that he was at Don's studio and sang over the backing track lying on his back...probably after or during some "refreshment"
    Don Davis was around Detroit doing music since the 50's...I thought the point of this thread was Don's work in 70's [[at least that's what the initial post here would appear to indicate) after he purchased United Sound... I worked on a couple of other sessions there in the mid 70's as well and happened to go to this Ruffin vocal session probably around 78 or 79 after being invited to attend...There were only 3 or 4 of us there along with Ruffin and the background singer...Don had nothing to do with United Sound in the 60's when the recording you are alluding to was recorded...Don purchased the studio sometime in the early 70's...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 09-10-2020 at 04:11 PM.

Yes it appears to relate to the 70s..but Groovesville dates back to the 1960s and I thought the poster may have been confused with those recordings.

Groovesville 1960s label discog..for information purposes only..
    Don Davies' label

http://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/groovesville.htm

Apparently he bought United in 1971.

I was given a guided tour of some Detroit music "highlights", and the guide/driver pointed out Don Davis' studios [[ presumably 1960s) but it was evening time in February so didn't see anything really. He told us about Don's deal with Goldmine....well before the tracks came out in the UK.

Groovesville 1960s label discog..for information purposes only..
    Don Davies' label

http://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/groovesville.htm
    Yup, Don was producing records around Detroit and had his Groovesville label in the 60's. He worked with local talent and also began producing Johnnie Taylor in the late 60's as well...The Ruffin material being asked about here was after Don bought the studio...Two Don Davis produced Ruffin albums from that period and beyond were So Soon We Change [[late 70's) and Gentleman Ruffin [[released just prior to Ruffin's death)... Don was a very astute businessman and a very nice guy... Anyways, and once again, while Ruffin didn't have any blockbuster hits from those United Sound sessions...this was probably the tune that got the most play... https://youtu.be/obJwxJLEM0g
    Last edited by StuBass1; 09-10-2020 at 04:33 PM.

I've got Gentleman Ruffin...somewhere...!!!
    Good album.
    Didn't Don dabble in banking?

Just remembered that David autographed my GR album when I saw him [[ with Eddie) just weeks before he died.

Don's work with Johnnie Taylor at Stax is well known and loved by me.
    The 60s Groovesville " unused" tapes unearthed an early Johnnie Taylor track "Love on a lease plan"....possibly recorded before JT joined Stax

I've got Gentleman Ruffin...somewhere...!!!
    Good album.
    Didn't Don dabble in banking?
    Don opened Detroit's first Black owned bank...