[REMOVE ADS]

Motown's Greatest Television Moments!!!

We all know that Motown was unique for a lot of different reasons and one in particular is that their artists were groomed for television among other things. I would like to know what performances everyone considers as a part of Motown's Greatest Television Moments. I know many consider Michael Jackson's Moonwalking to "Billie Jean" at "Motown 25" to be one of the greatest. Which moments do you consider the greatest or most memorable for your own reasons. It could be the way a song was performed, the way the artist was dressed, moved or sang. It could even be because of the "buzz" a particular performance created.

Try to limit it to just one each to per member to start [[I get to pick two because I
    started this thread! hehehehe..... One I consider one of the greatest is the Supremes & Temptations performing a medley of their greatests hits on the Ed Sullivan Show, not only because it was chance to see two of the 60's power groups on stage together, but I remember everyone in school talking about it the next day

Last edited by marv2; 04-07-2011 at 12:13 AM.

Another choice of mine is the Jackson Five performing "I Want You Back" on the Ed Sullivan Show. They had performed it a couple of months earlier on "The Hollywood Palace" which I saw, but this was the performance that was impactful. It seems rather tame now, but in the Fall of 1969 we considered them "groovy", "far out" and yes "soulful". To me it was really special seeing kids that were around my age on TV getting down! Within weeks of this appearance kids where I lived even started trying to dress like them and we sang "I Want You Back" at the tops of our lungs on the school bus in the mornings for about 3 months! LOL!

Taking Care of Business !

TCB, it seems that the world stopped on that magical night. Not only did we talk about it in school, on the night that it premiered it was something in the air like the buzz of the Ali-Frazier all through the neighborhood. My entire family gathered in the living room around the television and I fondly recall my Mom tearing up during Paul's rendition of For Once In My Life. Its still one of the best specials I ever saw.

Marv, man it must have been something to have seen that show back in the day. The Supremes & Temptations were on fire!!!

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    TCB, it seems that the world stopped on that magical night. Not only did we talk about it in school, on the night that it premiered it was something in the air like the buzz of the Ali-Frazier all through the neighborhood. My entire family gathered in the living room around the television and I fondly recall my Mom tearing up during Paul's rendition of For Once In My Life. Its still one of the best specials I ever saw.
    Paladin, once that program was announced and advertised in the TV Guide, it was like we took a week to prepare to watch it! LOL! Seriously, everyone was in great anticipation of seeing "TCB". I think we did everything short of dressing up in our Sunday best to get ready to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by motown4ever View Post
    Marv, man it must have been something to have seen that show back in the day. The Supremes & Temptations were on fire!!!
    It was really something to us back at the time. Then we had this long period between then and VCR's etc before we could ever relive those memories by watching them again. I remember that the Big 3 networks did not rerun every program , mostly TV Sitcoms etc. So if you missed it the night it aired.,........YOU MISSED IT!

Exit David and Flo, enter Dennis and Cindy, The Supremes gowns were fabulous and The Tempts Riverboat Gambler suits were the shhhhh..........you're right Motown4ever they were on fire, hotter than the fourth of July in December no less.....but the real talk was centered on that great clear stage....oh yeah they were at the top of their game......an entire show of Tempts Supremes without Ed Sullivan....lol....Happy People indeed....

.Name:  Tempts_tcb.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  55.7 KB

Exit David and Flo, enter Dennis and Cindy, The Supremes gowns were fabulous and The Tempts Riverboat Gambler suits were the shhhhh..........you're right Motown4ever they were on fire, hotter than the fourth of July in December no less.....but the real talk was centered on that great clear stage....oh yeah they were at the top of their game......an entire show of Tempts Supremes without Ed Sullivan....lol....Happy People indeed....

.Name:  Tempts_tcb.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  55.7 KB

Since TCB's taken [[as I knew it would be), I'll choose Diana Ross & the Supremes' on the Hollywood Palace in 1967 performing Reflections. Florence had recently exited and it was the first time many fans got to see then-new hire Cindy Birdsong. I noticed right away, the Supremes had changed for the better. They were more glamourous and they
    moved. Reflections featured some excellent choreography.

The WHOLE of the Ready Steady Go Motown Special hosted by Dusty Springfield. Now, THAT was a show....Paulo xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    The WHOLE of the Ready Steady Go Motown Special hosted by Dusty Springfield. Now, THAT was a show....Paulo xxxx
    I would agree. Although it didn't air in the US until years later. The Ready Steady Go Salute to Motown stands out because it featured some of the label's biggest acts before they became International phenomenoms.
    Appearing on television was still so new to them, you could see David Ruffin, Martha Reeves and Smokey looking up into the studio monitors to check themselves out.
    There's a point during the Supremes' performance of Stop! In the Name Of Llove when Florence Ballard realizes she's got a camera all to herself and she turns and gives it a big and sly smile.

Here's a Ready Steady Go Clip from U Tube. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9NmWcWmCjU

One of my fondest Motown memories was from 1965. I know this wasn't a BIG Motown moment but it was for me because this was centered around one of my favorite records of the time. [[Actually still is one of my favorite records.)

It was in the spring and NBC broadcast a Murray The K. special, "It's What's Happening, Baby" and it seemed to have everybody who had a hit at the time on this hour long [[90 minute?) program. But the one I remember best is Martha & Vandellas doing "Nowhere To Run" on an assembly line. Don't forget videos weren't too common back then and it was really a unique way to present the song. The girls looked cool, too, dancing around and hopping in and out of a car as it was being made. I don't think I've seen it since but it made quite an impression on me back then.

In retrospect it was a great metaphor of Berry's assembly line productions. But at the time, it was just cool to me.

I'd say TCB hands down

As a show I'd say Ready Steady Go, as a moment I'd say Marvin Gaye singing the American National Anthem :

Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    Paulo, I was also going to say that , that program did not air in the United States. I got to see it when I ordered the VHS tape of it in the 80's from television....BET I believe. It was a really memorable show too.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    Since TCB's taken [[as I knew it would be), I'll choose Diana Ross & the Supremes' on the Hollywood Palace in 1967 performing Reflections. Florence had recently exited and it was the first time many fans got to see then-new hire Cindy Birdsong. I noticed right away, the Supremes had changed for the better. They were more glamourous and they
    moved. Reflections featured some excellent choreography.

That particular Hollywood Palace appearance was memorable. The physical appearance of the group had changed so drastically that I almost didn't recognize them just by looking at them. That's when I think they went a little overboard, a little extreme with the glamour thing.

Quote Originally Posted by treborij View Post
    One of my fondest Motown memories was from 1965. I know this wasn't a BIG Motown moment but it was for me because this was centered around one of my favorite records of the time. [[Actually still is one of my favorite records.)

It was in the spring and NBC broadcast a Murray The K. special, "It's What's Happening, Baby" and it seemed to have everybody who had a hit at the time on this hour long [[90 minute?) program. But the one I remember best is Martha & Vandellas doing "Nowhere To Run" on an assembly line. Don't forget videos weren't too common back then and it was really a unique way to present the song. The girls looked cool, too, dancing around and hopping in and out of a car as it was being made. I don't think I've seen it since but it made quite an impression on me back then.

In retrospect it was a great metaphor of Berry's assembly line productions. But at the time, it was just cool to me.
    I remember that show! I remember that segment too! They were going through a Ford plant while they were assembling a Ford Mustang! On that same show were Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, Supremes, Ronettes, Patti & the Blubelles, The Miracles, Little Anthony & the Imperials, Dionne Warwick, among others. Wow!

The Temptations Show !

Even though I had met George Kirby in person and found him to be a very difficult man when not on stage, I tuned in to this show in spite of him. As I recall most of his jokes were lame and when he guest starred with them on the Ink Spots "If I Didn't Care" still makes me cringe to this day, and Ms Stevens was a throw end to appease whoever. I thought it was quite good that The Temptations had their own show. They were just so cool and had that Magic Touch......even GK's faux Amos & Andy routine couldn't hold them back........

Name:  Temptations-show.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  36.2 KB

Even though I had met George Kirby in person and found him to be a very difficult man when not on stage, I tuned in to this show in spite of him. As I recall most of his jokes were lame and when he guest starred with them on the Ink Spots "If I Didn't Care" still makes me cringe to this day, and Ms Stevens was a throw end to appease whoever. I thought it was quite good that The Temptations had their own show. They were just so cool and had that Magic Touch......even GK's faux Amos & Andy routine couldn't hold them back........

I remember that special well! I have that album too. It was syndicated and I believe it aired in late Spring or Summer 1969. George Kirby was VERY old school to put it nicely.

Marv you are so kind, his material was dated..... and like they say if you aint got nothing good to say.......

Marv you are so kind, his material was dated..... and like they say if you aint got nothing good to say.......

Oh man you should have saw him do the joke about the two little angels, one black , one white. He told it in 1988 on Dionne Warwick's Showtime Special "That's What Friends Are For" a benefit concert for AIDS research. It went over like a ton of bricks so much so that when he was done, Lena Horne rolled her eyes right before introducing the next performer! LOL!

pshark Guest
    Drugs took over Kirby's life

I rate "Ready Steady Go" as the best show ever.

Favourite moment was the Supremes singing "Baby Love" on Ready Steady Go....smothering [[recently passed) Keith Fordyce in lipstick

That was good John - I can just about remember that show. I think they also sang Where Did Our Love Go, perhaps before Baby Love.

Eamonn

One that stands out is the miracles doing[baby,baby don't cry]on ed sullivan,anyone remember that?if anyone has a copy of it watch the miracles footwork,magnificent and of course the classic temps performance of[i'm losing you]which in my humble opinion is their best live performance of a single song ever,there is also an old clip of them doing[get ready]that's pretty cool,the four tops doing[i believe in you and me]priceless!!

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    One that stands out is the miracles doing[baby,baby don't cry]on ed sullivan,anyone remember that?if anyone has a copy of it watch the miracles footwork,magnificent and of course the classic temps performance of[i'm losing you]which in my humble opinion is their best live performance of a single song ever,there is also an old clip of them doing[get ready]that's pretty cool,the four tops doing[i believe in you and me]priceless!!
    I remember that appearance. The blue silk shirts,etc. That was the smoothest I've ever seen the Miracles onstage.

uptight Guest
    I had seen Goin' Back To Indiana TV special many years after it aired. It had to have been a great moment in TV history. It would give me chills to watch The Jackson Five's exciting stage entrance at The Forum in L.A.

I have been wondering about this show since I saw a wiki of it. I wish I can see the whole show. Unfortunately only clips of it are available on youtube.
    Last edited by candykamaine; 04-15-2011 at 12:31 AM.

I saw that a dvd of the Ready, Steady, GO! show is still available.

Here's a TV appearance by Smokey & the Miracles that I don't remember seeing. I don't know the name of the show but they perform "Here I Go Again"

Marv that was beautiful.......thanks man......

Your most welcome Paladin.

Marv2...they did rerun TCB one time after in the early 70's. I don't remember the exact date or situation.

Interesting video clip above of George Kirby. Those are James Brown's lyrics, arent they?

The camera coming down then tight on Levi, the kids clapping, the b&w.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K3gyVjlNpE

Quote Originally Posted by jeff9nyc View Post
    Marv2...they did rerun TCB one time after in the early 70's. I don't remember the exact date or situation.
    I don't remember them rerunning TCB and most definitely not in the early 70's.

Marv2 - They did rerun it. I watched it again and it was in the early 70's. I was upset because there was no Supremes picture in the TV guide for my scrapbook and I had moved on to Jean Terrell and the Supremes and was LOVING them!

Quote Originally Posted by jeff9nyc View Post
    Marv2 - They did rerun it. I watched it again and it was in the early 70's. I was upset because there was no Supremes picture in the TV guide for my scrapbook and I had moved on to Jean Terrell and the Supremes and was LOVING them!
    Well that's great, I never knew that. It is suprising that they would do that since Diana Ross was no longer in the group.