[REMOVE ADS]

Producer Playtime: Possible Supremes/Tops Duet

One of my favorite things about the first Mag 7 album is the cover of the Tops' classic "Without the One You Love". First of all, the Tops' version is easily in my top 5 favorite Tops songs. I love it so. And thankfully, covering it with the Supremes didn't disappoint. I love it almost as much as I love the original. Excellent idea of including it on the first album.

Here's my idea: since they covered a Tops single, it would've been an equally nice idea to cover a Supremes' single. So, playing producer, if you could choose a Supremes single for the two groups to re-record as a duet, what would it be? Or maybe you'd choose a song closely associated with the Supremes, like a B side or album cut [[non MOR or cover song) associated with the group.

I think both "I Hear A Symphony" and "My World Is Empty" would've made great duets for Jean and Levi.

I think LOVE IS HERE AND NOW YOU'RE GONE could have worked, especially with Levi being that dramatic vocalist he often was.

I would love to hear a Jean-Levi version of “I’m Gonna Make You Love Me”

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think LOVE IS HERE AND NOW YOU'RE GONE could have worked, especially with Levi being that dramatic vocalist he often was.
    Aww man, you aint lying!! That would've been insane. Jean is quite the dramatic vocalist also and that interplay would've been emotional. I'm getting worked up about the fact that this will never be. Time for bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I would love to hear a Jean-Levi version of “I’m Gonna Make You Love Me”
    While that would've undoubtedly been entertaining, I would think the one area to stay away from would be the previous duets with that other group.

I HEAR A SYMPHONY....possibly, FOREVER CAME TODAY

Probably an unpopular choice but I'd go for everybody's got the right to love. Then they'd actually be covering a song with Jean on lead. I would give the track a complete new instrumental track that's less dreary to me lol. I like how they updated the sound of Without the one you love for the duet album. Don't get me wrong I like the original just as much.

The Loving Country could have been re-worked into a duet between Jean and Levi.

The Tops "Without..." being only a moderate hit I thought a similar less-known song by The Supremes would be the best choice. So many Diana-led hits are iconic that a cover might pale in comparison. However, I do agree with a previous post mentioning that a cover of "Forever Came Today" would work.

I would choose a couple of B-Sides that were on The Supremes Greatest Hits album: "Everything Is Good About You" and "Whisper You Love Me [[Boy/Girl)".

On the first Magnificent 7 album I thought they covered Diana Ross' "Reach Out And Touch" and Jean's "Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music", quite well.

I didn't really like the idea of The '70s Supremes and The Four Tops covering Reach Out And Touch [[Somebody's Hand) as it seemed that the new group should have been finding their own space, not following Diana's path or inviting comparisons that would pit one lead singer [[Jean) with another [[Diana).

However, a medley of Everything Is Good About You and I Like Everything About You could have been interesting. Those two songs complement one another. And if Levi had the lead on Everything Is Good About You and Jean had the lead on I Like Everything About You, the old Motown magic could have been reinterpreted in an exciting new way that would have been right for the 1970s.

Similarly, I think Diana Ross & The Supremes should have performed My Girl [[with restyled lyrics to read "I guess you'd say, what could make me feel this way, my guy...") and The Temptations should have performed My Guy [[with reworked lyrics to become "nothing you could do could make me untrue to my girl...") so their medley would be fresh and new, belonging to the octet, not to the two separate groups -- or to one group and to one former Motown star. And I wish Diana, The Supremes and The Temptations had avoided strict note-by-note copies of the Marvin/Tammi duets, as their remakes felt a bit stale, second-rate and disappointing when heard a second or third time, interspersed with comparisons to the original versions. Too, the remake of Then by the two groups seemed unimaginative. Other endeavors, such as more covers of Miracles' material new to all concerned, would have been much more exciting.

Jean could have dubbed her vocals onto the Tops’s Reflections. They also could have tackled “Some Things You’ll Never Get Used Too”.

Not quite what the post intended, but I always thought "THEN CAME YOU" [[Spinners and Dionne) would have been a fantastic duet for the Tops and Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    FOREVER CAME TODAY
    Great choice!!

Quote Originally Posted by supremesouluk2 View Post
    The Loving Country could have been re-worked into a duet between Jean and Levi.
    That may have ended up an excellent choice.

what about a mashup of Queen of the House/King of the Road? lol

I'll turn to Stone/Stoned Love?

or what about a more soulful Sup song like How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone? we've heard the bootleg of Jean doing the lead. Imagine adding Levi!