[REMOVE ADS]

Your Favourite Diana Bits...

This thread has been inspired by those infernal quizzes one sees on social media, like Facebook.

But... we're hardcore fans here, so I've tried to be a little bit deeper in the questions, to give it a bit of a twist, and to make you all think a little more rather than the normal "favourite" quiz.

To do it, please copy the questions from my post, pate it into your reply, and add your answers. But do please just copy the questions only, don't just quote my post to reply, or you'll quickly render the thread unreadable.

I'll post the questions only in a reply at the end of my post to make them easier for you to copy.

Here goes:

Favourite scene from LSTB - the drug scene with Richard Pryor. The whole scene was all ad-libbed!
    Favourite live album - An Evening With Diana Ross. I love the Motown Story on the album.
    Favourite TV special - An Evening With Diana Ross. The Ethel/Josephine/Bessie section is breathtaking, especially the make up.
    Favourite Ed Sullivan performance - For me it is a toss up between Mille/Rose/Mame and the Fats Waller Tribute. So... Fats Waller by a whisker, because the vocals were tighter.
    Favourite music video - One Shining Moment
    Favourite Johnny Carson appearance - The show she hosted in 1979, Muhammad Ali and Lynda Carter [[Wonderwoman!)
    Favourite Supremes no 1 - The Happening. I know we're not supposed to like this one, as it's not a 'true' HDH, but I really do like it. It really evokes the 1960s for me, more than any other Supremes track [[ I am too young and wasn't alive then)
    Favourite duet - Big Bad Love with Ray Charles. Diana's sweet, kittenish vocal on this is the perfect counter to Ray's more earthy sound.
    Favourite RCA-era album - Swept Away. Forever Young is a real highlight for me. I quite like Telephone, too. The video for Swept Away is fun.
    Favourite Oscars ceremony moment - Somewhere Over The Rainbow, 62nd Oscars, 1990. Somehow, with just a few changes in phrasing, she made this very well known song her own. Even the cheesey "sing along" [[the director's idea, not Diana's, she was just obeying direction) doesn't detract from a classy vocal performance. She looked good, too.
    Favourite cover by Diana [[I mean a song she wasn’t the original artist of) - this can be live performance or a recording - I think Reach Out I'll Be There is very underrated. The live performance with Lynda and Sherrie on the RTL tour is incredible.
    Favourite Ashford & Simpson song by Diana - It My House
    Favourite Diana background vocal - i.e. a song where she is background on, not lead -
    It Should Have Been Me, Kim Weston, 1963 - you can clearly hear The Supremes, and particularly Diana, on background here
    Last edited by grangertim; 09-04-2020 at 10:30 AM.

Favourite scene from LSTB
    Favourite live album
    Favourite TV special
    Favourite Ed Sullivan appearance
    Favourite music video
    Favourite Johnny Carson appearance
    Favourite Supremes no 1
    Favourite duet
    Favourite RCA-era album
    Favourite Oscars ceremony moment
    Favourite cover by Diana [[I mean a song she wasn’t the original artist of) - this can be live performance or a recording
    Favourite Ashford & Simpson song by Diana
    Favourite Diana background vocal - i.e. a song where she is background on, not lead

Favourite scene from LSTB - never seen the movie. Can't sit still long enough to watch any movie
    Favourite live album - Supremes at the Copa
    Favourite TV special - Not sure if it counts but her "Recorded live at Caesars Palace" from 1979.
    Favourite Ed Sullivan appearance - Come see about me
    Favourite music video - My old piano. It's just funny to see her moving around a piano.
    Favourite Johnny Carson appearance - singing Let's go up
    Favourite Supremes no 1 - Come see about me. It's the one I can listen to day and night.
    Favourite duet - Endless Love
    Favourite RCA-era album - Not a huge fan of her albums during this era but i'd go for Eaten Alive because of Chain Reaction.
    Favourite Oscars ceremony moment - Don't watch them sorry.
    Favourite cover by Diana - Can't beat Sam Cooke's version but I've always likes the Supremes version too. It was on the first CD I've ever bought of the Supremes.
    Favourite Ashford & Simpson song by Diana - Remember Me
    Favourite Diana background vocal - i.e. a song where she is background on, not lead - Diana doesn't sing background "just joking". You're a wonderful one eventhough Florence is the most audible.

Btw nothing wrong with liking the Happening. It's a great song but not to everyone's liking just difference in taste. I listen to it more than some of their other number 1's.

Favourite scene from LSTB - the final concert scene singing My Man
    Favourite live album
    - not a fan of live albums in general
    Favourite TV special -
    TCB
    - In And Out of Love
    Favourite music video -
    Chain Reaction
    - singing Lady Sing The Blues acapella to Johnny at his desk
    Favourite Supremes no 1
    - Come See About Me
    Favourite duet
    - Just Say, Just Say
    Favourite RCA-era album
    - Red Hot Rhythm & Blues
    - haven't seen Diana performing on Oscars
    Favourite cover by Diana [[I mean a song she wasn’t the original artist of) - this can be live performance or a recording
    - The Same Love That Made Me Laugh
    Favourite Ashford & Simpson song by Diana
    - No One Gets The Prize
    Favourite Diana background vocal - i.e. a song where she is background on, not lead
    - You Lost The Sweetest Boy
    Last edited by lucky2012; 09-04-2020 at 02:04 PM.

Favourite scene from LSTB - Carnegie Hall
    Favourite live album - An Evening with Diana Ross
    Favourite TV special - diana [[1981)
    Favourite Ed Sullivan appearance - My Favorite Things / Hits Medley
    Favourite music video - Swept Away
    Favourite Johnny Carson appearance - Theme from Mahogany / Baby Love
    Favourite Supremes no 1 - Love is Here and Now You're Gone
    Favourite duet - My Mistake [[with Marvin Gaye)
    Favourite RCA-era album - Swept Away
    Favourite Oscars ceremony moment - I Just Called to Say I Love You
    Favourite cover by Diana - Got to be There
    Favourite Ashford & Simpson song by Diana - Ain't No Mountain High Enough
    Favourite Diana background vocal - Small Sad Sam

Favourite scene from LSTB : Her appearance in yellow dress
    Favourite live album : Evening with
    Favourite TV special : Caesar Palace 1979
    Favourite Ed Sullivan appearance : The last
    Favourite music video : Chain Reaction
    Favourite Johnny Carson appearance : WDFFIL - Mirror
    Favourite Supremes no 1 : Keep me hangin on
    Favourite duet : All of you
    Favourite RCA-era album : Ross
    Favourite Oscars ceremony moment : Endless Love
    Favourite cover by Diana [[I mean a song she wasn’t the original artist of) - this can be live performance or a recording :
    Reach out I'll be there
    Favourite Ashford & Simpson song by Diana : The Boss
    Favourite Diana background vocal - i.e. a song where she is background on, not lead : ?????????????????
    We are the world

Favourite scene from LSTB - Cafe Society
    Favourite live album
    - An Evening With Diana Ross
    Favourite TV special
    - An Evening with Dioana Ross
    - All of them but Love is Itching in My Heart.
    Favourite music video
    - Chain Reaction
    0 When You Tell Me That You Love Me
    Favourite Supremes no 1
    - I Hear a Symphony
    Favourite duet
    - Stop Look Listen Diana and Marvin
    Favourite RCA-era album
    - Why Do Fools Fall In Love
    - Diana and Lionel Endless Love
    - Forever Young
    Favourite Ashford & Simpson song by Diana - The Boss

Favourite Diana background vocal - i.e. a song where she is background on, not lead - We Are The World

Favourite scene from LSTB : Don't have a particular favorite
    Favourite live album : Definitely An Evening With
    Favourite TV special : Caesar's Palace
    Favourite Ed Sullivan appearance: Tie between "Hurry Love" and "Symphony Medley" from 1996, and Fats Waller Medley
    Favourite music video : Technically "Chain Reaction", but if it counts, I also love the "video" to "You Keep Me Hangin On" where the Supremes play ping pong and dance together.
    Favourite Johnny Carson appearance : Tie between the episode she hosted and "Let's Go Up".
    Favourite Supremes no 1 : Yeah, right.
    Favourite duet : Maybe "Include Me In Your Life".
    Favourite RCA-era album : Swept Away
    Favourite Oscars ceremony moment: Don't have one
    Favourite cover by Diana : Hard to pick one fav, but I'll go with the one I was most impressed with her ability to cover it, and that's "I Love You, Call Me".
    Favourite Ashford & Simpson song by Diana: The entire Surrender album.
    Favourite Diana background vocal - i.e. a song where she is background on, not lead: "What Becomes Of the Brokenhearted".

Great thread by the way!!

Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    Favourite cover by Diana - Can't beat Sam Cooke's version but I've always likes the Supremes version too. It was on the first CD I've ever bought of the Supremes.
    TYK, you didn't list the song. Which song is it?

Obviously got distracted by something while answering them question's. It's wonderful World. It was on the universal master collection from 1999. It was, already, generally difficult to get any Motown Cd's where I lived and thought it was really cool to own a cd containing only a few major hits and mostly album fillers. I got the big hit Cd's afterwards. Still think it's one of the best CD covers for any Supremes release.

Name:  R-2333880-1406917128-4207.jpeg.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  74.0 KB

Favourite scene from LSTB : On the beach with Piano Man
    Favourite live album : An Evening With
    Favourite TV special : Caesar's Palace 1979
    Favourite Ed Sullivan appearance:
    Favourite music video : Your Love
    Favourite Johnny Carson appearance : When she hosted in 1979
    Favourite Supremes no 1 : Love Child
    Favourite duet : You Are Everything
    Favourite RCA-era album : Swept Away
    Favourite Oscars ceremony moment: Probably all of the fashion at the 1973 Awards
    Favourite cover by Diana : Lately "Always and Forever"
    Favourite Ashford & Simpson song by Diana: It's My House
    Favourite Diana background vocal - Come and Get These Memories

Favourite scene from LSTB: Carnegie HallFavourite live album: Live at the Grove [[unreleased) or Greatest Hits Live
    Favourite TV special: Diana! ´71
    Favourite Ed Sullivan appearance: Funny Girl Medley or No Matter What Sign You Are
    Favourite music video: The Force Behind The Power
    Favourite Johnny Carson appearance: Lady Sings The Blues Medley
    Favourite Supremes no 1: Love Is Here And Now You´re Gone
    Favourite duet: My Mistake [[Was To Love You) [[with Marvin Gaye)
    Favourite RCA-era album: Swept Away [[because I love `It´s Your Move´)
    Favourite Oscars ceremony moment: When she sang Over The Rainbow
    Favourite cover by Diana [[I mean a song she wasn’t the original artist of) - this can be live performance or a recording: Something On My Mind
    Favourite Ashford & Simpson song by Diana: Remember Me
    Favourite Diana background vocal - i.e. a song where she is background on, not lead: Come And Get These Memories

Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    Obviously got distracted by something while answering them question's. It's wonderful World. It was on the universal master collection from 1999. It was, already, generally difficult to get any Motown Cd's where I lived and thought it was really cool to own a cd containing only a few major hits and mostly album fillers. I got the big hit Cd's afterwards. Still think it's one of the best CD covers for any Supremes release.

Name:  R-2333880-1406917128-4207.jpeg.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  74.0 KB
    LOVE "Wonderful World". Diana's lead is gorgeous, and Flo and Mary backing her up are just beautiful. Definitely one of the highlights of that album.

And that cover shot is very interesting. I love it.

Perhaps not the thread to start the discussion, but I don't think Diana is on "Come And Get These Memories". At least I can't hear her. I think it's the Andantes and Florence.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Perhaps not the thread to start the discussion, but I don't think Diana is on "Come And Get These Memories". At least I can't hear her. I think it's the Andantes and Florence.
    I hear the Andantes on "Memories" , but not Flo [[but that doesn't mean she's not there, I just can't hear her). I agree that I don't hear Diana on "Memories" but can hear her on "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" on the 2000 box...listen after the refrain. Diana IS there clearly audible. IMHO, this song on the "Join" album should have been Mary's jump start. She hits everything so perfectly on that track. Anyone who says she didn't have "it" should listen to this track.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I hear the Andantes on "Memories" , but not Flo [[but that doesn't mean she's not there, I just can't hear her). I agree that I don't hear Diana on "Memories" but can hear her on "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" on the 2000 box...listen after the refrain. Diana IS there clearly audible. IMHO, this song on the "Join" album should have been Mary's jump start. She hits everything so perfectly on that track. Anyone who says she didn't have "it" should listen to this track.
    When Mary sings "Love you've gone from me and left behind, so many memories", there's a voice singing along with her starting at "left behind, so many memories". That's Florence. And then notice Flo is singing along with the "yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah"s. Now it also sounds like to me that Flo is singing with the Andantes throughout the rest of the background, except for the "aahs" which are pure Andantes, I think. It's also possible Flo and Mary are singing the non "aah" parts of the background together, because I think I hear Mary too. Perhaps the track was intended as a Diana lead and Flo and Mary cut their backing vocals first and then instead of Diana adding in her lead vocal, Mary did it instead. That's my take on the cut, anyway.

Go back and take and listen and let me know if you hear Flo at all, particularly the voice that sings along with Mary.

Great responses, thank you! Keep them coming!

I hear Florence as well on Come and get these memories. It's definitely mixed with the Andantes. When Mary sings "left behind" at the beginning it is only 1 voice behind her and not 3 which was normally the case with the Andantes. On that bit the Andantes are doing the Aaah on the background. I think it's with many songs that the Andantes were added afterwards to create another layer.

Grangertim are you making a list with the results and see what the most picked answers are?