[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Covers That Should Have Been Made

For some reason I thought the 70s Supremes had made a remake of Come and Get Your Love by Redbone. Now that I think of it, I could see them tackle it. What remakes should have been done by Motown artists?

Oh, now this is a great question. Personally I love how different Motown artists would cover each others' Motown songs.

"I Heard It Through The Grapevine" was recorded by virtually every act Norman Whitfield produced in the late '60s except Jimmy Ruffin. Imagine Jimmy having a crack at that tune, or maybe even David.

Oh, see, this is getting me thinking... what about "Too Many Fish In The Sea" in a jazzy version by Barbara McNair or a sassy rendition by Blinky, or The Tops tackling "Ain't No Sun Since You've Been Gone" with Levi Stubbs out front ... ahhh, I love to wonder...

There are some Motown tunes I have always thought were just 'underrecorded' if you know what I mean... The Monitors' "Bring Back The Love" is just a heavenly slice of Motown yet recorded only once. What about a saxy cover by Junior Walker & The All-Stars, a booming version by Edwin Starr, or a silky smooth rendition by Jimmy Ruffin? How about The Velvelettes' amazing "A Bird In The Hand", recorded only twice? It sounds perfect for The Supremes or Vandellas [[although The Velvelettes' version is nothing short of a mini-masterpiece). How 'bout "I Got A Feeling" by The Isley Brothers?

WOW, I could really go on...

What a great topic this is, thank you, Koach.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-07-2017 at 07:52 PM.

Haaaa.... I'm back!

How about Marv Johnson on "The Way You Do The Things You Do"... Levi Stubbs taking on "Lonely, Lonely Man Am I"... The Monitors covering "From Head To Toe"...

I don't think this was quite the original idea of the thread, sorry Koach, but you've got me wondering now.... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Koach View Post
    For some reason I thought the 70s Supremes had made a remake of Come and Get Your Love by Redbone. Now that I think of it, I could see them tackle it. What remakes should have been done by Motown artists?
    I could see the Miracles with Billy Griffin or the Originals doing it but not Mary, Cindy and Scherrie which would have been the group of Supremes to cover it if they had.
    Last edited by marv2; 05-08-2017 at 11:11 PM.

I wonder what the Temptations would have sounded like with Paul on lead singing the Four Tops "Baby I Need Your Loving".

60's Supremes
    - [[You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman

- [[Come 'Round Here) I'm The One You Need [[It was surely written as a song Levi Stubbs could have sung, but I can totally hear Diana singing it.)

- Here I Am [[Diana later sang this in her live show, but it really would have been great if done in the 60's.)

70's Supremes
    - We're Almost There [[I can totally hear Scherrie soaring on this Michael Jackson classic.)

- I Always Get Caught In The Rain [[HDH may have wrote this for Dionne Warwick, but it's something Mary would have owned.)

Four Tops
    - Little Darling I Need You
    - Don't Look Back

Marvin Gaye
    - Poor Side Of Town

How about these;

1. "Lonely Lonely Man Am I"-Marvin Gaye
    2. "Number One In Your Heart"-Martha & the Vandellas
    3. "Looking For The Right Guy"-Brenda Holloway
    4. "Temptation Eyes"-Four Tops
    5. "When A Man Loves A Woman"-The Temptations
    6. "The Clapping Song"-The Marvelettes
    7. "Rescue Me"-Martha & the Vandellas
    8. "Happy Together"-Diana Ross & the Supremes

This is my list:
    *The Supremes*
    -Look Of Love [[by Lesley Gore)
    -Stay Awhile [[by Dusty Springfield)
    -Stairway To Heaven [[by Neil Sedaka)
    -L-O-V-E [[by Nat King Cole)
    -I'm Ready For Love [[by Martha And The Vandellas)

*Diana Ross & The Supremes*
    -Day By Day
    -Crystal Blue Persuasion
    -California Nights [[by Lesley Gore)
    -California Dreamin' [[by The Mamas And Papas)
    -Everybody's Talking [[by Harry Nilsson)
    -I Got You Babe [[duet with The Temptations) [[by Sonny & Cher)
    Do You Know The Way To San Jose? [[by Dionne Warwick)

*Martha Reeves And The Vandellas*
    -Misty [[by Johnny Mathis)
    -And I Love Her [[by The Beatles)
    -The Fool On The Hill [[by The Beatles)
    -You Beat Me To The Punch [[by Mary Wells!
    -Ain't No Mountain High Enough [[by Diana Ross)
    -Light My Fire [[by The Doors)

*Diana Ross*
    -Love, Guess Who [[by Martha Reeves And The Vandellas)
    -The Way We Were [[by Barbra Streisand)
    -Goodbye To Love [[by Carpenters)
    -It's Too Late [[by Carole King)
    -Put A Little Love In Yoir Heart [[by Jackie DeShannon)
    -Ain't No Sunshine [[by Bill Withers)

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I wonder what the Temptations would have sounded like with Paul on lead singing the Four Tops "Baby I Need Your Loving".
    Omg...Yes...Can I co-sign on this one?

I would have loved to hear the Miracles with Smokey do "Love Makes the World Go Round" by Deon Jackson.

"Goin Out of My Head" by Little Anthony and the Imperials is one of my all time favorite songs. I don't believe I've ever heard a version that I didn't like. I would love for my favorite male singer Marvin Gaye to have tackled it. I think he would have killed it.

The Temptations with David on lead doing "Baby I Need Your Loving" could have been a masterpiece of vocals.

"Our Day Will Come" could have been heavenly with Eddie on lead during the earlier days.

Gladys Knight and the Pips doing "Respect" seems like a natural cover.

The Marvelettes did the Supremes' first single "I Want A Guy". I think in return the Supremes should have been given a cover of "Please Mr. Postman" with Florence on lead.

I always thought "Chapel of Love" was a missed opportunity for the original Supremes to showcase their harmony skills. Why they never covered this I'll never understand.

"Silly Wasn't I" would have been perfect for the J/M/C Supremes, with Mary on lead. She would have been great on that.

I think Marvin and Tammi would have made a fantastic cover of From Head To Toe as well as Sweet Thing [[Marvin did this solo). I can just imagine their interplay with both of these songs, especially during Sweet Thing where Marvin would sing "Oh, you're not the kind of girl to win a beauty prize"

"Vehicle" - Rare Earth
    "Brother Louie" - Rare Earth

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    "Vehicle" - Rare Earth
    "Brother Louie" - Rare Earth
    Those are excellent choices. I can hear Pete Rivera singing lead on them easily and tearing it up!

When Norman Whitfield wrote Ooh Boy for Rose Royce was he thinking of Gladys Knight and The Pips and I Wanna Get Next To You The Temptations.

I would have liked to have heard Bobby Taylor take on of Soul Master - Edwin Starr
    The Temps take on of Don't Stop Now - Th Originals
    Yvonne Fair Take on - I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You - Aretha Franklin
    David Ruffin take on Keep Me - The Originals

And we're back;
    "Cool Jerk"-The Contours
    "Rescue Me"-Kim Weston
    "Summer In The City"-Four Tops
    "Got To Get You Into My Life"-Stevie Wonder
    "I Had A Talk With My Man"-Brenda Holloway

Nice post,i would've liked to hear a remake of the drifters classic[please stay]done by the classic temps with david on lead....[they would've nailed it]....or how about a duet on the supremes unreleased gem[take me where you go]again with the temps[diana and david on leads].

Marvin & Tammi
    1. I Want you 'round
    2. We Can Work it Out
    3. We've Got a Way Out Love
    4. God Only Knows

The Temptations
    1. 7 Rooms of Gloom [[Ruffin)
    2. Tea House in China [[Ruffin)
    3. I Can Sing a Rainbow [[Dennis & Melvin)
    4. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas [[Paul)
    5. I Bet You [[ensemble)

Four Tops
    1. I'm In Love Again
    2. [[S)he Holds His [[her) Own
    3. Build me up Buttercup.
    4. My Love Grows Deeper day by Day

misc.

The Isley Brothers- Heaven Must of Sent You
    The Marvelletes- Just One Last Look
    Smokey & The Miracles- It's Out of the Question

I'll probably think of more later.

"Help Yourself" by The Undisputed Truth is one of my all-time favourite songs and had Norman Whitfield written it a year earlier I'm sure he would have recorded it with The Temptations. Now that I would love to hear. Can't believe the song wasn't recorded more times... Yvonne Fair or Junior Walker [[or maybe even The Jackson Five) would have rocked that tune too...
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-08-2017 at 06:34 PM.

When I first heard "The Day Will Come Between Sunday And Monday" by Kiki Dee I thought "wow, I could really hear Jean Terrell singing this" and, it turns out, she did, with The Supremes, in early 1970! Love both versions.

Also, I have always thought "Give Me Just A Little More Time" sounded perfect for The Four Tops. And Honey Cone's "Stick Up" [!] would have been perrrrfect for Martha Reeves & The Vandellas.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-10-2017 at 09:22 AM. Reason: At the time no song by the name of "Stick It Up" existed for Martha Reeves & The Vandellas to cover, i.e. I'm insane, i.e. ask RanRan

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    I would have liked to have heard Bobby Taylor take on of Soul Master - Edwin Starr
    The Temps take on of Don't Stop Now - Th Originals
    Yvonne Fair Take on - I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You - Aretha Franklin
    David Ruffin take on Keep Me - The Originals
    Those are some fascinating ones, McMotown! I would love any more versions of "Don't Stop Now", such a excellent song. I can see The Miracles doing a great version of that one.

I can also imagine Bobby Taylor having a crack at David Ruffin's unreleased tune "I've Got A Need For You". Also, how about Yvonne Fair rocking "The End Of Our Road" by Gladys Knight & The Pips!?

Thelma Houston and "Right Back Where We Started From" originally recorded by Maxine Nightingale.

Chuck Jackson "Climb Every Mountain".

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Omg...Yes...Can I co-sign on this one?
    You sure can brother! Paul sings with so much emotion just as Levi always did.

Gladys Knight & the Pips tackling Kim Weston's classic "Tale Me in Your Arms and Rock Me A Little While'

I think that the Jean,Mary, Cindy lineup of the Supremes would have been a natural to record some of the great Thom Bell/Linda Creed compositions of the early 70s, such as Betcha By Golly Wow or You Make Me Feel Brand New. I believe that back in the day there was some talk of Thom Bell producing the Supremes. Shame it never happened.

I would also have loved it if Richard Perry had produced Diana Ross on some of the songs of Carole King [[e.g Brother Brother, I Feel the Earth Move) and Joni Mitchell [[e.g Woman of Heart and Mind, I Don't Know Where I Stand).

Whenever I listen to The Supremes version of "Come And Get These Memories" on The Supremes A Go-Go, I wonder what it would've sounded like if Florence Ballard had done the lead vocal on it [[while Mary Wilson did a good job on it, this song just seems tailor made for Flo voice).

The Velvelettes should have recorded "Too Many Fish In the Sea", and Jimmy Ruffin would have sounded great doing the Contours' "It's So Hard Being A Loser" as he was so good on Weatherspoon-Dean material.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Ross Fan Club View Post
    This is my list:
    *The Supremes*
    -Look Of Love [[by Lesley Gore)
    -Stay Awhile [[by Dusty Springfield)
    -Stairway To Heaven [[by Neil Sedaka)
    -L-O-V-E [[by Nat King Cole)

-Day By Day
    -Crystal Blue Persuasion
    -California Nights [[by Lesley Gore)
    -California Dreamin' [[by The Mamas And Papas)
    -Everybody's Talking [[by Harry Nilsson)
    -I Got You Babe [[duet with The Temptations) [[by Sonny & Cher)

*Martha Reeves And The Vandellas*
    -Misty [[by Johnny Mathis)
    -And I Love Her [[by The Beatles)
    -The Fool On The Hill [[by The Beatles)
    -You Beat Me To The Punch [[by Mary Wells!
    -Ain't No Mountain High Enough [[by Diana Ross)
    -Light My Fire [[by The Doors)

*Diana Ross*
    -Love, Guess Who [[by Martha Reeves And The Vandellas)
    -The Way We Were [[by Barbra Streisand)
    -Goodbye To Love [[by Carpenters)
    -It's Too Late [[by Carole King)
    -Put A Little Love In Yoir Heart [[by Jackie DeShannon)
    -Ain't No Sunshine [[by Bill Withers)
    Hey DRFC, Martha & the Vandellas did do a version of The Doors' "Light My Fire". It was left in the vaults but finally came out on their 50th Anniversary-The Singles Collection box set [[and it's very good).

I think Kim Weston's classic "Take Me In Your Arms [[And Rock Me)" would've made a great addition to The Supremes A Go-Go.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Thelma Houston and "Right Back Where We Started From" originally recorded by Maxine Nightingale.
    Good call Marv since Maxine Water's "Right Back Where We Started From" has that classic Motown feel.

And some more;
    "The Day She Needed Me"-Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
    "Cry"-The Temptations
    "Soul Serenade"-Jr. Walker & the All-Stars
    "I Can't Turn Around"-Brenda Holloway
    "Ain't Nothing But A House Party"-The Contours
    "Hello Stranger"-Mary Wells
    "Nothing But A Heartache"-The Supremes [[Jean, Mary & Cindy)
    "Soulful Strut"-Earl Van Dyke & the Soul Brothers

Thank you, I will check it!
    I've got a live version of Fool On The Hill perfomed by Martha Reeves And The Vandellas too!

Was "When You're Young and In Love" covered by any other Motown artist? I've always felt it would have been better served by a more romantic, lyrical singer - Brenda Holloway or Diana Ross, perhaps. Ruby, backed by her Romantics, was a natural on the original version.
    Last edited by smallworld; 05-09-2017 at 07:16 PM.

This is my list:
    *The Supremes*

The Supremes and Martha and Vandellas are my two favorite girl groups at Motown, but I've never thought their songs were usually good fits for each other. The only Supremes song I could hear Martha and the girls doing justice to is "Going Down For the Third Time". When I first heard "In My Lonely Room" I thought it would have been perfect for the Supremes. I like the Sups version but it didn't get me the way that I thought it would. The other Vandellas cut that I could hear the Supremes doing justice to is "I'm Ready for Love". I so wish HDH had cut a version of that on them instead of another version of "Heat Wave".

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    And Honey Cone's "Stick It Up" would have been perrrrfect for Martha Reeves & The Vandellas.
    Tom I think Honey Cone's "Stick Up" would have been great for Martha. "Stick It Up" I'm almost positive would've been left in the vaults.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmo View Post
    I think that the Jean,Mary, Cindy lineup of the Supremes would have been a natural to record some of the great Thom Bell/Linda Creed compositions of the early 70s, such as Betcha By Golly Wow or You Make Me Feel Brand New. I believe that back in the day there was some talk of Thom Bell producing the Supremes. Shame it never happened.

I would also have loved it if Richard Perry had produced Diana Ross on some of the songs of Carole King [[e.g Brother Brother, I Feel the Earth Move) and Joni Mitchell [[e.g Woman of Heart and Mind, I Don't Know Where I Stand).
    Yes on both counts!! Jean's voice with those Bell/Creed productions...aww man that would've been something to hear. Such a pity that never materialized, if the plans were indeed true. And Ross doing Carole King would've been great too. I could hear her doing "I Feel the Earth Move" so clearly in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I think Kim Weston's classic "Take Me In Your Arms [[And Rock Me)" would've made a great addition to The Supremes A Go-Go.
    Agreed. And I can hear each girl doing the lead on it and doing it well too.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Was "When You're Young and In Love" covered by any other Motown artist? I've always felt it would have been better served by a more romantic, lyrical singer - Brenda Holloway or Diana Ross, perhaps. Ruby, backed by her Romantics, was a natural on the original version.
    I'm inclined to agree, though I had never thought about it before. Wanda's voice at that point had found it's place as a sexy, grown woman. There was nothing "young and in love" about it. I could hear Wanda [[and the Marvelettes) doing Aretha's "Dr. Feelgood". I wouldn't have produced it in that bluesy, gospel way as Queen Ree's, but I think lyrically Wanda could have pulled off those grown woman lyrics very well. Brenda Holloway, Diana Ross, even Martha Reeves voices were better suited to "When You're Young and In Love".

A full version of this by "The Girls" would have been heaven. The medley snippet of it from T.C.B. is cruelly brief!

The Supremes/DRATS singing "One Fine Day" [[The Chiffons) produced with the famous H-D-H touch backed by the Funk Brothers heavy rhythm and keyboards!!! Home run!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Tom I think Honey Cone's "Stick Up" would have been great for Martha. "Stick It Up" I'm almost positive would've been left in the vaults.
    OHHH... I just realised what your post actually meant!!!!

LOLOLOLolololol

Obviously when I said "Stick It Up" I was hoping that Martha had somehow covered both this 1990 reggae jam by some guy called Cutty Janks [[https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zezcBhdCRyY) and this awful rock song by a band called Quarashi [[https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=monN9Ok0El8). You see, Motown was so prolific its artists covered songs from the future............. haa

OHHH... I just realised what your post actually meant!!!!

LOLOLOLolololol

Obviously when I said "Stick It Up" I was hoping that Martha had somehow covered both this 1990 reggae jam by some guy called Cutty Janks [[https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zezcBhdCRyY) and this awful rock song by a band called Quarashi [[https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=monN9Ok0El8). You see, Motown was so prolific its artists covered songs from the future............. haa
    Ha! Hey, it's been said Motown had a magic touch. No reason to think their magical powers couldn't extend to covering songs that hadn't been recorded yet.

Ha! Hey, it's been said Motown had a magic touch. No reason to think their magical powers couldn't extend to covering songs that hadn't been recorded yet.
    I guess so

Or I'm just INSANE!

I guess so

Or I'm just INSANE!
    The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.
    HA! Oh, RanRan, LOL

A few more

Marvin Gaye
    1. Candy to Me
    2. Without the One You Love
    3. For Once in My Life [[him and the Jackson 5 are the only ones who HAVEN'T cut this one)
    4. Since I've Lost You
    5. Cupid

Gladys Knight & The Pips
    1. Who Could Ever Doubt My Love
    2. A Little Too Much
    3. I Gotta Find a Way to Get You Back!
    4. No More Water in the Well
    5. I'm so Glad You Belong to Me

Tammi Terrell
    1. Take Me In your Arms [[and Love Me!)
    2. Feelin' Alright
    3. Honey Boy
    4. Keep an Eye
    5. How Long has That Evening Train Been Gone

Paul Williams

1. Girl, You're Alright!
    2. I Hate Myself For Lovin' You

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Thanks Motown Eddie. When I first heard the record on the radio, I thought it was the Supremes [[Mary, Cindy and Scherrie).

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    A few more

Marvin Gaye
    1. Candy to Me
    2. Without the One You Love
    3. For Once in My Life [[him and the Jackson 5 are the only ones who HAVEN'T cut this one)
    4. Since I've Lost You
    5. Cupid
    Great selections. I could hear Marvin doing all of those. His voice was perfect for the stuff Sam Cooke had done. I love the Supremes Sam Cooke album, but I wonder if Marvin would have been an even better choice for Motown's tribute.

Let me add that I also think the Supremes could have covered "Ask the Lonely" very well and Jimmy Ruffin covering "Under the Boardwalk" and "Up On the Roof" would have been great.

Dream Coulda-Beens [[Still lemme know if it has already been done, I don't have all the albums / 45s, yet):

Marvin Gaye, 1966-1968-ish, or/and Jermaine Jackson, 1972-1973-ish:

"Tomorrow Is Another Day" [[Billy Butler, B-Side of "I Can't Work No Longer", 1965)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M-6C-mcGXo

"Loop De Loop" [[Johnny Thunder, 1962)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QcJddN2vPs

"Guess Who" [[Jesse Belvin, 1959)

"Red Sails In The Sunset", "I Wish You Love" [[Standard, both favored versions to me was done by Nat King Cole)

Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell, 1967-1968:

"The Real Thing" - A classic Ashford / Simpson standard, Yes, Jo Armstead's too - The Chiffons, Tina Britt, Chuck Jackson & Maxine Brown - or was Ashford & Simpson not allowed to take it with them when they moved to Motown?

Stevie Wonder, 1966-1967-ish:

"Respect" [[Otis Redding, 1965)

"Headline News" [[With Edwin Starr's permission / blessing, 1966)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2BfksawKF0

"Land Of A Thousand Dances" - Kind of a standard the early-mid sixties - Chris Kenner, Round Robin, Wilson Pickett - but would of been awesome to see him match the STAX sound on this one, which I'm sure he could.

In fact, an entire album of mid-sixties Stevie singin' Atlantic-Stax [[Respect, Land Of A Thousand Dances, Knock On Wood, Hold On, I'm A Comin', ect) would have been neat and I'm sure buyable.

The Originals, 1974-1976

"I Really Love You" [[Dee Dee Sharp, 1965, the Ambassadors, 1969)

"What's Your Name" [[Don & Juan, 1962)

"Tears On My Pillow" [[Little Anthony & the Imperials, 1958)

"Don't Have To Shop Around" [[The Mad Lads, 1966)
    Last edited by Ngroove; 05-11-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Here are my thoughts [[if any have already been recorded accept my apologies in advance):

Let It Be [[Beatles) - Marvin Gaye
    For What It's Worth [[Buffalo Springfield) - The Temptations *Melvin Lead
    Day Dreaming [[Aretha) - Gladys Knight
    Fortunate Son [[CCR) - Chuck Jackson
    Loving You Is Sweeter than Ever [[4Tops) - The Marvelettes *Wanda Lead
    La La Means I Love You [[Delfonics) - David Ruffin
    You've Got A Friend [[James Taylor) - Stevie Wonder
    We've Only Just Begun - The Supremes *Jean Terrell Lead
    Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight [[James Taylor) - Jimmy Ruffin
    Fancy [[Bobbie Gentry) - Diana Ross
    Build Me Up Buttercup [[The Foundations) - The 4 Tops