[REMOVE ADS]

The amazing Merry Clayton vocal on Gimme Shelter

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ChONufP0FEs I hope she is doing ok. Haven’t heard a thing about her since terrible car crash she was in And subsequent fundraiser for her. Just when her career taking off again after 20 Feet From Stardom.

Wikipedia reports that she later underwent amputation of both legs as a result of pain from the trauma of the accident. She is still listed as living.

I saw an advance screening of "Twenty Feet From Stardom" and after the screening Merry performed Leon Russell's "A Song For You" live. She was wonderful and received a standing ovation.

Like many SD-ers, in 2004, I was thrilled to get the CD reissue of "Emotion."
    She laid out Webster Lewis' "Emotion", the Eagles "Wasted Time" and "When The World Turns Blue." Shortly after I acquired the Roy Ayers "Unreleased" collection featuring Merry on "I Really Love You" and "Brand New Feeling." Those two songs were unreleased for decades but are now among my favorite Roy Ayers tracks.

Even so, I knew little of her storied career as a background vocalist and was unaware of her part of "Gimme Shelter" until "Twenty Feet." I was sure she would have a resurgence after that movie given how it was received and that she still sounded great. But it was not meant to be...

She has endured so much tragedy in her life.

Merry is alive and doing well she has the kind of strength that most of us only dream of having. She just finished a brand new album that will be released in 2021.

So great to hear!!

Quote Originally Posted by brother_love View Post
    Merry is alive and doing well she has the kind of strength that most of us only dream of having. She just finished a brand new album that will be released in 2021.
    Thank you, Brother Love! I am so pleased to hear this news. Indeed, if anyone can continue to persevere and triumph it is Merry Clayton! Please keep us updated on her new release.