[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    LA backing tracks in the golden era

    During the mid 60s there were several backing tracks that were recorded in LA which sounded more like Hitsville recordings as opposed to the usual LA sound. I'm Ready For Love is one example I can think of.

    Does anyone know if there were occasions where LA backing tracks were augmented at Hitsville to arrive at the more driving and fuller sound usually released at the time?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Didn't even know that I'm Ready for love, instrumental track, was recorded in LA.

  3. Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    During the mid 60s there were several backing tracks that were recorded in LA which sounded more like Hitsville recordings as opposed to the usual LA sound. I'm Ready For Love is one example I can think of.

    Does anyone know if there were occasions where LA backing tracks were augmented at Hitsville to arrive at the more driving and fuller sound usually released at the time?

    Thanks.
    "I'm Ready For Love" is one of the best of the LA-recorded tracks. It took me years before I realized it wasn't a Detroit-recorded track. The drums kinda-sorta give it away, but still, they have a much fatter sound than what I usually hear on LA stuff. I know what you're going after though because there are LA recordings that sound as if maybe a bass was overdubbed in Detroit, or the Andantes' vocals were recorded to an LA track. For me, another great LA track is Paul Petersen's "Chained". I had no illusions of it being recorded in Detroit, but the sound really holds together well on that one, especially the bass. Whoever is playing bass on that track really glued everything together.

  4. #4
    “Love Is Here and Now You’re Gone” was done in LA, but they had Jamerson dubbed in on upright bass, which blended in better with Carol Kaye’s style of playing.

  5. #5
    Smokey Robinson & The Miracles' "More Love" was recorded in L.A. in April 1967 (I don't think anything was added to the track at Hitsville).
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 09-03-2020 at 09:47 AM.

  6. #6
    LA tracks seemed to have a different, softer piano style and the drummer often sounded as though he was outside the studio and down the hall as per "More Love", especially in stereo.

    I feel that the mono mix of "In And Out Of Love" by Diana Ross and The Supremes gets it right, with those bongos way up front and a lovely bright and crisp overall feel.

  7. #7
    I just checked the entry for "More Love" at the DFTMC site and it states that the song was recorded in Los Angeles & Hitsville-Golden World in April 67. So add that tune to the list of songs that had something added to them after recordings in L.A.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I just checked the entry for "More Love" at the DFTMC site and it states that the song was recorded in Los Angeles & Hitsville-Golden World in April 67. So add that tune to the list of songs that had something added to them after recordings in L.A.
    Maybe the drummer was sat in Detroit while the other musicians were in LA. That would explain why he sounds so distant.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    Maybe the drummer was sat in Detroit while the other musicians were in LA. That would explain why he sounds so distant.
    The vocals were cut in Detroit. All the instruments were done in LA.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    "I'm Ready For Love" is one of the best of the LA-recorded tracks. It took me years before I realized it wasn't a Detroit-recorded track. The drums kinda-sorta give it away, but still, they have a much fatter sound than what I usually hear on LA stuff. I know what you're going after though because there are LA recordings that sound as if maybe a bass was overdubbed in Detroit, or the Andantes' vocals were recorded to an LA track. For me, another great LA track is Paul Petersen's "Chained". I had no illusions of it being recorded in Detroit, but the sound really holds together well on that one, especially the bass. Whoever is playing bass on that track really glued everything together.
    Obviously the drums fills, but also a bassline that Jamerson would NEVER play...

  11. #11
    I remember, a while back now, someone saying that Kim Weston's Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love's backing track was recorded in LA. I was surprised as it has a more "robust Hitsville sound", perhaps some overdubs were done in Detroit?

  12. #12
    I respect the fact that the Snakepit could only produce so much music and that other studios had to be used to keep up with the ouput, but there were hits left on the table. The aforementioned I'm Ready For Love, More Love, all the way back to Do I Love You.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I remember, a while back now, someone saying that Kim Weston's Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love's backing track was recorded in LA. I was surprised as it has a more "robust Hitsville sound", perhaps some overdubs were done in Detroit?
    DFTMC has it listed as being recorded at Hitsville/GW and completed October '66, shortly before KW left the label. I like KW's recording of the song, but it does not sound like a typical Smokey/Motown song with the forwardness of the guitar. It reminds me of something that Phil Specter may had done if he had produced it. I can hear Darlene Love taking a rip at it.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I just checked the entry for "More Love" at the DFTMC site and it states that the song was recorded in Los Angeles & Hitsville-Golden World in April 67. So add that tune to the list of songs that had something added to them after recordings in L.A.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  21.1 KB
    Maybe just The Miracles' vocals were added in Detroit?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.