[REMOVE ADS]

Need help from L.A. PBS TV watcher who knows 60s Jazz(Stu Bass-you still around?)

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  21.1 KB
    Is there any SDF member here, located in L.A. who regularly watches KLCS LAUSD PBS TV network? I'm stuck in L.A. until I can get a Covid-19 antibody injection, or proven vaccine injection or pill. Meantime, I heard a great 1960s progressive Jazz tune played in the background while the evening programme schedule is being shown on screen. That instrumental is always played when the day's programme schedule is shown on the screen, several times each day.

It's a great song, that sounds like a mid '60s famous Blue Note piano combo. I'd like to find out the name of the song and artist. I may already own it on vinyl, but can't remember what it is.
    I'm not with my records. If I DON'T have it, I'd like to get it off of You-Tube, or as an MP3 or MP4 from someone who has it.

Who else is located in L.A.?

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by robb_k; 09-02-2020 at 01:56 AM.

Robb, I do not live in L.A., but have you tried calling the station or using the CONTACT US portion of their website?

http://klcs.org/contact/

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Robb, I do not live in L.A., but have you tried calling the station or using the CONTACT US portion of their website?

http://klcs.org/contact/
Views: 173
    Thanks LockhartGary for that advice and the link. I've contacted them.

Views: 132
    It's been 4 days and no e-mail from them. I guess if I'd been a subscriber I'd have gotten one by now.

???... Sorry Robb...I'd have to hear it... Stay well...

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    ???... Sorry Robb...I'd have to hear it... Stay well...
Views: 127
    I take it, then, that you never watch KLCS. Like all the PBS stations, it has some excellent programming. Unfortunately, I can't tell you when they post their evening programming schedule (which is when they play that tune). I think they do it at the 50 minute mark each late afternoon and evening hour: 4:50, 5:50, 6:50, 7:50. 8:50, 9:50 PM. It's got to be a 1960s piano combo, probably on Blue Note Records, or Pacific Jazz, or World Pacific, - maybe Prestige or possibly Riverside. It is likely one of the well-known pianists. But, I just can't place it. The odds are I have the record, but just forgot it. Maybe you can grab a look at KLCS just before the top of an hour. If it's not at 50 minutes after. It will be at 55 after.

If it's OP or Basie, I'll likely recognize it right away...or of course Brubeck most anyone would recognize with his unusual time sigs...Not much time for PBS, but whenever I notice one of TJ's music shows I tune in for a segment or two...

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    If it's OP or Basie, I'll likely recognize it right away...or of course Brubeck most anyone would recognize with his unusual time sigs...Not much time for PBS, but whenever I notice one of TJ's music shows I tune in for a segment or two...
Views: 117
    It's not any of them. Not anyone that famous. Maybe it's McCoy Tyner.
    Someone from the station will probably send me an e-mail eventually.

If you have the Shazam app on your phone you could try that while the song is playing.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    If you have the Shazam app on your phone you could try that while the song is playing.
Views: 61
    Thanks, but I don't have any apps on my US cell phone. I only use it to prove who I am when I forget my passwords. I actually use my Dutch phone to make calls and talk to people. But I don't have any apps on that one. It's a flip phone. I am a creature of the 19th Century! It's a miracle that I am able to use e-mail and the very basic uses of a desktop or laptop computer. KLCS has still not answered my e-mail. I don't have a recording device that can record the sound of the TV.