[REMOVE ADS]

Gladys Knight And The Pips "Essential 1961-1965" 2CD set [[Sunset Blvd) 10/26/2020

Description
    Remastered from the analog tapes, this definitive collector's edition features material which Gladys recorded in her early career between 1961 and 1965, before joining Motown. A majority of tracks were recorded for producer Bobby Robinson's Fury and Enjoy labels, along with later material recorded for the Maxx label under the direction of Van McCoy. Includes her first hits 'Every Beat of My Heart' and 'Letter Full of Tears,' Don Covay's 'Come See About Me,' and many great early Soul classics. Includes carefully annotated liner notes; this is the most complete and best sounding retrospect of her and the Pips' formative years. Sunset Blvd Records will donate $1.00 from each unit sold of Essential 1961 - 1965 to Black Lives Matter.

Tracklist
    [CD1]
    1. Every Beat Of My Heart
    2. Room In Your Heart
    3. Guess Who
    4. Stop Running Around
    5. Letter Full Of Tears
    6. You Broke Your Promise
    7. Operator
    8. I'll Trust In You
    9. Come See About Me
    10. I Want That Kind Of Love
    11. What Shall I Do
    12. Morning, Noon And Night
    13. Love Call
    14. Queen Of Tears
    15. A Love Like Mine
    16. I Can't Stand By
    17. One More Lonely Night
    18. Darling [[The Pips)
    19. Linda [[The Pips)
    20. Waiting For My Phone To Ring [[Rehearsal)

[CD2]
    1. It Hurts So Bad
    2. How Do You Say Goodbye
    3. What Will Become Of Me
    4. Every Beat Of My Heart [[Alternate)
    5. The Devil In Me
    6. Before Now And After Then
    7. Daybreak
    8. Giving Up
    9. Maybe Maybe Baby
    10. Lovers Always Forgive
    11. Another Love
    12. Either Way I Lose
    13. Go Away, Stay Away
    14. Stop And Get A Hold Of Myself
    15. Who Knows
    16. Tell Her You're Mine
    17. If I Should Ever Be In Love
    18. Why Don't You Love Me
    19. Walking In Circles
    20. Jungle Love [[The Pips)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H59YWXQ/?tag=imwan-20

I wish I could get excited about this. Motown and Gladys were SUCH a perfect match and the stuff that followed worked too. But I have never heard anything from the earlier period that grabbed me. So I will pass on it.

But I hope the rest of you support it so we can keep things like this coming for as long as possible.

Shame after taking so much time remastering from analog tapes that they didn't get theri cover image to match the timeline of the material included on the set. This picture is way down the line from the period this album covers.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Shame after taking so much time remastering from analog tapes that they didn't get theri cover image to match the timeline of the material included on the set. This picture is way down the line from the period this album covers.
    I agree. But I may just buy it for the cover, I love it. I checked my collection and although I see pics from this photo session I don't think I have this pose, which is very charming.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    I agree. But I may just buy it for the cover, I love it. I checked my collection and although I see pics from this photo session I don't think I have this pose, which is very charming.
    This pose is on the back of their SILK AND SOUL album, albeit obscured by the album title. The rest of the design here is based on their famed IMAGINATION album cover.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This pose is on the back of their SILK AND SOUL album, albeit obscured by the album title. The rest of the design here is based on their famed IMAGINATION album cover.
    I figured someone would know about this pic. I'm not surprised it's you, Reese. Thanks.

I got rid of Silk N' Soul years ago and soon regretted it. I felt it had too many MOR covers, however I found that I did miss having the album for a couple of the songs not on other releases. I searched at record shops, conventions and flea markets for years and only saw one or two copies which unfortunately were not in good condition or at a reasonable price. I was able to get the UK twofer paired with Nitty Gritty.

I recognized the album graphics as similar to Imagination but checked discogs for confirmation. That album I still have in my collection.

I like early 60s music so I'm hoping this collection will have a few highlights. I never realized they had recorded so much before Motown. Nice to see some releases on CD, nevertheless.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    I figured someone would know about this pic. I'm not surprised it's you, Reese. Thanks.

I got rid of Silk N' Soul years ago and soon regretted it. I felt it had too many MOR covers, however I found that I did miss having the album for a couple of the songs not on other releases. I searched at record shops, conventions and flea markets for years and only saw one or two copies which unfortunately were not in good condition or at a reasonable price. I was able to get the UK twofer paired with Nitty Gritty.

I recognized the album graphics as similar to Imagination but checked discogs for confirmation. That album I still have in my collection.

I like early 60s music so I'm hoping this collection will have a few highlights. I never realized they had recorded so much before Motown. Nice to see some releases on CD, nevertheless.
    Back in 2008, Acrobat released a similar cd of pre-Motown Pips material. The only things it was missing was their first single for Brunswick, as well as the HunTom b-side ROOM IN YOUR HEART.

Acrobat is a public doman / grey market label, is it not? Thus, any rarities previously unreleased in the CD era would have to be from vinyl/acetate/cassette as Acrobat wouldn't have access to the masters.

If this set is a straight reissue of the original mono mixes, it might be a valuable addition to a Gladys Knight & the Pips collection. I suspect preference will be given to the CD era Walter DeVenne remixes [[e.g. "Room in Your Heart," where Gladys' voice is in only one channel - a stereo "at all costs" mix). I think at least some of this material has also been subject to the dreaded "Eletronically Rechanneled for Stereo" treatment over the years. IIRC, some of those "mixes" have found their way onto CD via Collectables, Charly etc
    Last edited by smallworld; 09-03-2020 at 09:18 PM.

I'm not too impressed by the early pre-Motown years of GK&TP's either. It was clear Motown was able to find the magic in them that was actually missing when they first came out. Without Motown, there is no legacy with GK&TP's. That said, I LOVE "Every Beat of My Heart" and "Giving Up" [[not as much as I love Donny Hathaway's later version but it's still pretty good).

"Stop & Get A Hold of Myself" is one of the BEST Gladys Knight & the Pips records.

This is tempting. I have a 1999 Collectables CD that has 28 of their pre-Motown material. Comparing the two, I already have everything on the first disc. On the second disc I only found three songs that were included on the 1999 disc. They did some great songs before going to Motown. I Can't Stand By is one of my favorites. Gladys' voice sounds so rough. Love it.

I'll have to think about getting this new compilation.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I'm not too impressed by the early pre-Motown years of GK&TP's either. It was clear Motown was able to find the magic in them that was actually missing when they first came out. Without Motown, there is no legacy with GK&TP's. That said, I LOVE "Every Beat of My Heart" and "Giving Up" [[not as much as I love Donny Hathaway's later version but it's still pretty good).
    I feel the same way. I fell in love with Gladys Knight and the Pips in the early 70s. Bought all their albums. But when I bought the pre Motown. I really didn’t care for any of it. I do however love Every Beat of my heart”, “Guess Who”, “Letter Full of Tears” and “Giving up”.

The set is currently 70% off at the link, retailing for not much more than $6.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Gladys-K...dp/B08H59YWXQ/

I think the proof positive in how different their approach was in their pre-Motown days versus their Motown days is made very clear by the inclusion of the three songs from their early days which were rerecorded for their first greatest hits album, “every beat of my heart,“ “letter full of tears,“ and “giving up.“. I remember how surprised I was to see these titles when I bought that album, and how much I loved the songs, especially “letter full of tears“ which was of course in their Motown style. When I heard the originals I couldn’t help but be disappointed that the arrangements were so sparse and Gladys really sounded so very different.