[REMOVE ADS]

favorite album opener

in another thread, I moaned how IMO there's been less activity on here during COVID than i would have anticipated. and also chuckled at Ran's comment about how we sometimes end up just repeating the same old dialog

so here goes with a [[somewhat) new topic

we've all talked about every album, every single release. But we've never really discussed how the albums were laid out and the all important first song

Which album has the best first song on it?

in some cases, the first song is a hit single but in orders it's not.

When you first dropped the needle onto the record for Side A, Track 1, which was the most magical moment?

i'm going to skip the obvious hit singles [[like WDOLG, Someday or Ladder) and go with

New Ways and Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music

Side A of NWBLS is just stellar. perfectly sequenced, gorgeous songs. whenever i play "producer" with a playlist for this album, nothing on Side A is ever tampered with.

Together is just mind blowing - the song, the singing, the orchestra. and then the segue into Stoned Love.

A close second is This Is The Story. but i still have to go with Together

Me thinks this is a bit of a breath of fresh air.

My fav has to be "This Is the Story" from Touch. Oh man, that one blows me away. For me it sets the stage for one of my favorite Supremes albums. If it wasn't for "Time And Love", Touch would be a perfect album for my taste.

Second would be "Knock On My Door" from Mag 7. I think it's an outstanding opener, really signals that the listener is getting their money's worth with the pairing of the Supremes with the Four Tops.

Third would probably be "Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music" from New Ways. It definitely set the tone for the album as a loosely concept album.

Most of the 60s Supremes albums kick off with hit singles, so they were mostly disqualified. I might give an honorable mention to "Lady Is A Tramp" on R&H. While I'm not really a fan of the studio version, I think it does make a great opener for the album.

Missed opportunity? DRATS Join the Tempts. That album should've opened with the "Hey, where are the girls" medley with Lovelight, Come See, and Itchin. I would've had the guys doing a medley of their stuff that segues into the "Hey, where are the girls" medley as is. That would have set that first listen of the album on fire. "Try It Baby" doesn't set the tone for how great the Join album ultimately is.

From the 60s:

a) Stranger in Paradise from I HEAR A SYMPHONY. I'm not even a huge fan of the song but something about the opening with strings and then Diana's angelic voice show just how different this album was going to be compared to their previous ones.

b) Love is Like an Itching in My Heart from SUPREMES A GO GO. I was going to avoid hit singles but this song is one of my favorites, sets up the album perfectly, and I can't really imagine it being positioned elsewhere.

c) Stubborn Kind of Fellow from TOGETHER. For years, I used to play this album in reverse because the info on which side was which was wrong. But I always loved this song and now knowing that indeed it is the first track on Side A makes it another of my favorite openings.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    From the 60s:

a) Stranger in Paradise from I HEAR A SYMPHONY. I'm not even a huge fan of the song but something about the opening with strings and then Diana's angelic voice show just how different this album was going to be compared to their previous ones.

b) Love is Like an Itching in My Heart from SUPREMES A GO GO. I was going to avoid hit singles but this song is one of my favorites, sets up the album perfectly, and I can't really imagine it being positioned elsewhere.

c) Stubborn Kind of Fellow from TOGETHER. For years, I used to play this album in reverse because the info on which side was which was wrong. But I always loved this song and now knowing that indeed it is the first track on Side A makes it another of my favorite openings.
    interesting selections!! i had forgotten about Stranger and you're right. a beautiful and elegant opener - setting the stage perfectly for a very different Sup album.

I've always liked the Magnificent 7 Album and it's the only LP I've got even though I haven't got a LP player lol. Not a huge fan of their second duet album but the first song is one that I really like as an opening song. I also think it fits with the current situation all over the world. You gotta have some love in your heart

You gotta have a song on your lips
    You gotta let freedom roll
    Then you'll feel good
    Yes you will

I look out the window
    And what do I see
    I see a world that's full of confusion
    And I know just what it needs

Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    I've always liked the Magnificent 7 Album and it's the only LP I've got even though I haven't got a LP player lol. Not a huge fan of their second duet album but the first song is one that I really like as an opening song. I also think it fits with the current situation all over the world. You gotta have some love in your heart

Then you'll feel good
    Yes you will

I look out the window
    And what do I see
    i think the message of Gotta Have Love was great but the production style was a bit too "cornball." too singalong, follow the bouncing ball feel. If they'd done a more aggressive r&b sound, it could have been amazing!

That's just the reason why I like it. Cheers me up no end. Just why I like reach out and touch from there first Four Tops/ Supremes album. But that's not an opening number so couldn't choose that one. Non Motown album i'd probably go for Wouldn't it be nice from Pets Sounds. Someone recorded me once while I was singing it while having a shower. It sounded awful lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post

Then you'll feel good
    Yes you will

I look out the window
    And what do I see
    This is a good opener. But whenever I listen to it, I wonder what happened to Levi. He just disappears about halfway through.

Got to be "Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music" into "Stoned Love" from "NEW WAYS".

I agree with above....
    Together we can make such sweet music.....side 1 is great.
    Ywssl on Floy Joy kicks that lp off nicely...

Stranger In Paradise ---ABSOLUTELY!!

Fun, refreshing thread, sup_fan!

Stranger In Paradise [[Sheer magic from the drop of the needle!)

This Is The Story [[Awestruck by Jean Terrell!)

Honorable mentions:
    Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music
    Knock On My Door
    High Energy

For Diana Ross:
    No One Gets The Prize
    Upside Down
    Missing You
    Change of Heart
    He Lives In You

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Missed opportunity? DRATS Join the Tempts. That album should've opened with the "Hey, where are the girls" medley with Lovelight, Come See, and Itchin. I would've had the guys doing a medley of their stuff that segues into the "Hey, where are the girls" medley as is. That would have set that first listen of the album on fire. "Try It Baby" doesn't set the tone for how great the Join album ultimately is.
    Speaking of missed opportunities...In my opinion, a much better opener for the Cream of the Crop album would have been "Loving You Is Better Than Ever" or maybe even "You Gave Me Love" instead of the dreary [[although it was a hit) "Someday We'll Be Together". "Loving You" and "You Gave Me Love" both jump out to me as outstanding productions full of over-the-top sparkle and glamour which matched the direction that these ladies had quickly moved toward. "You Gave Me Love" is one of the songs which, again in my opinion, might have fit as one of the closing numbers they could have included in their final concerts...great lyrics.

Stranger in paradise....yes
    You keep me hanging on

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This is a good opener. But whenever I listen to it, I wonder what happened to Levi. He just disappears about halfway through.
    I feel the same way about, “Where Would I Be Without You” only with Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    I feel the same way about, “Where Would I Be Without You” only with Jean.
    A good thought-provoking question to pose to the group. Many of my choices are instances in which the LP does not open with the biggest hit, but instead sets the tone of the album:

Gettin’ Ready For Love - Baby It’s Me - A perfect start for an LP that is a rarity; 9 of the 10 songs are joyful, in-love songs instead of painful loss of love lyrics.
    Try It Baby - Join The Temptations
    Stranger In Paradise - Symphony
    No One Gets The Prize - The Boss
    Ask Any Girl - Many may feel this is a waste since AAG was already on WDOLG, but if the song had to be included, opening the LP subtlety suggests it’s a continuation of the previous LP.

great point Johnny. i'm guessing about 25% of the standard studio/hit singles albums start with a song other than the LEAD single

More Hits
    Symphony
    Join Tempts
    Together
    Mag 7
    New Ways
    Touch
    Dynamite
    Floy Joy
    HE

What about the concept albums? Country, Liverpool, There's a place, R&H? thoughts on the opening song on those sets?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    great point Johnny. i'm guessing about 25% of the standard studio/hit singles albums start with a song other than the LEAD single

More Hits
    Symphony
    Join Tempts
    Together
    Mag 7
    New Ways
    Touch
    Dynamite
    Floy Joy
    HE

What about the concept albums? Country, Liverpool, There's a place, R&H? thoughts on the opening song on those sets?
    The concept albums? With the exception of Liverpool, I think each LP opens with a strong song choice. A Hard Day’s Night may have been a stronger lead for Liverpool...

yeah - A Hard Day's Night would have been great opener. I do think that Funny was an excellent opener to Country too. one of the most solid tracks