[REMOVE ADS]

70's Supremes Missed Singles

There were songs chosen as singles in the 1970's that maybe should not have been chosen, what do you think about these?
    Right On- I like Everybody's Got the Right To Love but do you think Loving Country, But I Love You More or the bside Bill When Are You Coming Back would have been better choices
    New Ways-No second single-should have been It's Time To Break Down or Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music
    Touch- The title song as the second choice stalled-would Here Comes The Sunrise or This is the Story been a better choice
    Floy Joy-Did we need Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love? Would a Jean led Wisdom of Time or Over and Over been a possible choice?
    Jimmy Webb-Nothing released, I always liked I Keep It Hid, not many potential singles although seen When Can Brown Begin as a possibility,too.
    75-The second single Where Do We Go From Here didn't do well, would It's All Been said Before been a better second choice or Early Morning Love-not to mention if Bend A Little had been added to the LP.
    High Energy- No second single, probably the title song and You're What's Missing in My Life as singles. When reviewed my local paper only liked You Keep Me Movin On which may have been a good update to the 60's Hanging On
    MS&S-Driving Wheel was not a good initial single, would have preferred Let Yourself go-possible second singles Sweet Dream Machine and Don't Wanna Be tied Down.
    Any thoughts?

These are my potential single releases from 70s Supremes albums.

RIGHT ON
    Wait a Minute Before You Leave Me
    Take a Closer Look at Me

NEW WAYS BUT LOVE STAYS
    I Wish I Were Your Mirror

TOUCH
    Johnny Raven
    Happy [[Is a Bumpy Road)

FLOY JOY
    Never really got into this album, so I don't really hear any singles other than those already released.

JIMMY WEBB
    Maybe 5:30 PLANE. On the whole, I think this set hangs together best as a complete work so I don't hear singles.

THE SUPREMES
    Early Morning Love
    Color My World Blue

HIGH ENERGY
    You're What's Missing in My Life

MARY, SCHERRIE, AND SUSAYE
    Another one that I never got into. But I think LET YOURSELF GO would have been a better first single.

Motown dropped the ball on many second and third singles that would have sold more lps. Had I been guiding their career these would have been my choices for follow up singles:

Then We Can Try Again
    Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music
    Knock On My Door
    Here Comes The Sunrise
    Let's Make Love Now
    Hello Stranger
    I don't hear any other singles from Floy Joy
    5:30 Plane
    Color My World Blue
    You're What's Missing In My Life
    High Energy
    Sweet Dream Machine

Right On= I think "Then We Can Try Again", "I Got Hurt", and even though I'm not personally a fan of the following, "Wait A Minute", "Baby, Baby" and "Then I Met You", were all possible single choices.

New Ways= "Mirror", "Time To Break Down".

Touch= "Here Comes the Sunrise", possibly "This Is the Story" and "Hard For Me to Say Goodbye".

JW= "5:30 Plane"

Sup75= "Early Morning Love", "Color My World Blue"

HE= "High Energy", "You're What Missing In My Life", "Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You".

MSS= "Don't Want To Be Tied Down", maybe a single edit of "Come Into My Life" might have been interesting.

here's my line up of singles

Ladder - FEb 70
    Loving Country - summer 70
    Stoned Love - Oct 70
    Together - Feb 71
    River Deep - April 71
    Nathan - Aug 71
    Sunrise - Nov 71
    Floy Joy - March 72
    Auto Sun - Aug 72
    5:30 Train - Nov 72
    Cheap Lovin - Feb 73
    Bad Weather - June 73

It's all been said Before - Dec 74
    Color My World Blue - April 75
    He's My Man - Aug 75
    Where do i go - Dec 75
    Walking - March 76
    Let yourself go - Aug 76
    Love i never knew - Dec 76
    Sweet dream machine March 77
    Last edited by sup_fan; 09-01-2020 at 02:25 PM.

Definitely think “Teardrops” should have been the follow up to “Heart Do The Walking”. It’s a radio friendly, quality ballad with a sensitive vocal from Mary.
    Regarding MS&S, quite frankly anything other then “Your My Driving Wheel” would have proved a better choice as first single. I would have gone with “Don’t Want To Be Tied Down”, “Closer Together” or“Let Yourself Go”. All three of those songs are far more commercial sounding.

Right on - definitely the Loving country. It has a very good build up throughout the whole song.

New ways - I used to think "Time to break down" was a good choice for a single but now I skip it after about half way. Have been in favour for Shine on me for single release instead of B-side of Stoned Love. I do think that New ways suffered from not having another single released from this album.

Touch - Here comes the sunrise! Did this beautiful song get any mentioning at all in the 70's and was it ever played on the radio? I do like Johnny Raven as well. My fave 70's Supremes Album.

Floy Joy - I like the album and the singles released were the right choices, to me.

Jimmy Webb - Should have stayed a concept album like a bit of Liverpool/ Funny Girl etc. Am not saying that I don't like the songs. "All I want" is one of the songs I really like. But wasn't that a cover of Joni Mitchells song?

Am not 100% about the songs recorded with Jean after Jimmy Webb except for Badweather and Love train. I tend to listen more to Love Train.

Scherrie Years - I'd go for Color my world blue. The drum beat is good. Also Scherrie phrasing and the background sounds great. You turn me around if I had to choose one of Mary's ballads. And elements of the early version of You can't stop a girl in love. Especially the intro bit. I think a kinda mix of the early and released version might have worked.

HE - You keep me moving on for the Disco market and There's room at the top as a non album release. I'm sure I've read somewhere that they didn't think that song fitted the album but it was recorded around the same time.

MSC - Wouldn't make any changes.

NEW WAYS definitely should have had at least a 2nd or 3rd single. I've always been partial to "I Wish I Were Your Mirror" and "Thank Him For Today".

"It's All Been Said Before" should have been the lead single from THE SUPREMES. If anything, a follow up for "He's My Man".

right on..life beats.
    But I love you more
    New ways...
    Time to break down
    Shine on me
    Touch......
    Here comes the sunrise
    Floy Joy.......
    Over n over
    Jimmy
    When can brown begin
    Supremes 75
    Bend a little
    Sha la bandit
    It's all been said
    High
    You're what's missing in my life
    Mss.
    Sweet dream machine

My choices, in no particular order:
    It’s Time to Breakdown
    Here Comes the Sunrise
    Thank Him for Today
    Now the Bitter, Now the Sweet
    I Don’t Want to Be Tied Down
    It’s All Been Said Before
    High Inergy

Right On: Then We Can Try Again - If a weak track like EGTRTL could make it to #21, I think Then We Can Try Again or The Loving Country could have made it into the Pop Top 20.

New Ways: I Wish I Were Your Mirror

Touch: Here Comes The Sunrise [[I think this may have been a planned follow-up to Nathan Jones as I remember The Supremes performing it on a morning TV show when the album was first released.) I also think This Is The Story also had Pop Top 30 potential.

Floy Joy: Over and Over - instead of YWSSL

Jimmy Webb: No hit singles on this album!

Supremes [[1975):
    It's All Been Said Before - the lead single. Followed by Color My World Blue

High Energy: High Energy b/w Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You - double-sided follow-up single to IGLMHDTW

MSS: Let Yourself Go - lead single. You Are The Heart of Me - the final Supremes single, rightfully featuring Mary [[but please eliminate the Donna Summer sound effects!)
    Last edited by lucky2012; 09-04-2020 at 09:14 PM.

Yikes! I forgot one of my favorites! “Can You Love Again” is the Song I wish had been released as a single more than the others I named.

Lucky2012 lucky you even remember them performing "Here comes the sunrise". It's by far my favourite song from that album.

I would love a cleaned up version of Jean singing "How long has that evening train been gone" as a single. Diana's version sounded dull to me. The instrumental track and background singers don't help. Jean's unreleased version has a bit more of a oomph. Probably out of place for 1970 and not to everyone's taste but I might be wrong, I wasn't born till mid 80's.

Good topic.

1. Then We Can Try Again
    2. Life Beats
    3. Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music
    4. Here Comes The Sunrise [[Ditch the Touch single).
    5. I Wonder Where We're Going [[with The Four Tops).

6. Color My World Blue [[Which they played in the background of a radio ad).
    7. Bend A Little

8. I Don't Want To Be Tied Down
    Last edited by nathanj06; 09-05-2020 at 03:20 PM.

As far as the JW album I would have gave a nod to " When Can Brown Begin". It was a message song and I can remember the radio stations playing it quite a bit.

[QUOTE=Ollie9;587992]Definitely think “Teardrops” should have been the follow up to “Heart Do The Walking”. It’s a radio friendly, quality ballad with a sensitive vocal from Mary.

Good choice

Perhaps some of the vaulted material from The Supremes 1975 album would have made a good single choice like "I Can Never Recover" or "Bend A Little"

Isn't I can never recover just Scherrie? I do like the song. Also like Bend A Little as single but do think the second part of the song gets sort of repetitive. Same with Dance Fever. The song, to me, has a very good intro but it doesn't go anywhere after that and is missing a climax.

It’s Scherrie with a little bit of Mary mixed in
    Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    Isn't I can never recover just Scherrie? I do like the song. Also like Bend A Little as single but do think the second part of the song gets sort of repetitive. Same with Dance Fever. The song, to me, has a very good intro but it doesn't go anywhere after that and is missing a climax.

Right On I feel "Bill" is the most radio-friendly of all the songs from this album. I think its bouncy Pop melody would have given them a decent follow-up hit to "Ladder". Maybe "Closer Look At Me" might have clicked but it's not Top Ten.

New Ways "Together" should have been released prior to the album's release. It has a similar theme/message as "Everybody" but a fresher sound - a bit like Sly and the Family Stone. "Thank Him For Today" would have been a good follow-up to "Stoned Love" [[although "Life Beats" was the real missed opportunity, hands down).

Touch "Sunrise" is the only radio-friendly song I hear on this album. Its moderate tempo might have given them a hit and paved the way for releasing the ballad "Touch" with a little more success. "Johnny Raven" might have been a good follow-up to "Nathan Jones" but might have been corny having a single about another guy, especially if they would eventually release "Floy Joy".

Jimmy Webb Preferably nothing, but maybe "Tossin' And Turnin'" or "All I Want".

The Supremes I thought "Color My World Blue" should have been the lead single. I thought its sound was similar to the Three Degrees' PI recordings. It might have helped subsequent single releases fare better.

High Energy Better promotion for "Walking" might have helped decide on subsequent releases of either "You're What's Missing" or "Only You". As much as I love Mary's solos from this album I don't think they would have been hit singles.

Mary, Scherrie & Susaye I think the message of "Tied Down" might have resonated better with radio listeners than did "Driving Wheel", as both have a similar sound.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 09-07-2020 at 03:08 PM.