[REMOVE ADS]

New Motown compilation CD due from Ace Records

If it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere, Ace are reporting a new CD to be released on 25 September: The Sound of the R&B Hits by Various Artists.

It is a re-release of the first UK compilation of Motown tracks up until 1964, plus additional tracks.

https://acerecords.co.uk/the-sound-of-the-rb-hits

The track listing is:

Shop Around - Mary Wells
    Way Over There - The Marvelettes
    Everybody's Gotta Pay Some Dues - The Miracles
    Mockingbird - Martha & The Vandellas
    Bye Bye Baby - Mary Wells
    I'll Try Something New - The Miracles
    Dream Baby - The Marvelettes
    Money [[That's What I Want) - Barrett Strong
    What's So Good About Goodbye - The Miracles
    Let Me Go The Right Way - The Supremes
    I Don't Want To Take A Chance - Mary Wells
    Broken Hearted - The Miracles
    The One Who Really Loves You - The Marvelettes
    Do You Love Me - The Miracles
    Can I Get A Witness - Marvin Gaye
    Please Mr Postman - The Marvelettes
    You've Really Got A Hold On Me - The Miracles
    You Beat Me To The Punch - Mary Wells
    Pride And Joy - Marvin Gaye
    Oh I Apologize - Barrett Strong
    I Found A Girl - The Valadiers
    I Want A Guy - The Marvelettes
    Hitch Hike - Marvin Gaye
    I've Been Good To You - The Miracles
    Two Lovers - Mary Wells
    I Found Myself A Brand New Baby - Mike & The Modifiers
    Shake Sherry - The Contours
    Heat Wave - Martha & The Vandellas

It’s a no for me, dawg! I already have almost every track on here. The well must be close to drying up as far as unreleased 60s Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    It’s a no for me, dawg! I already have almost every track on here. The well must be close to drying up as far as unreleased 60s Motown.
    Agreed. I already have all of these tracks...

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Agreed. I already have all of these tracks...
    I'd say I already have about maybe fifty percent of the tunes, as an owner of three kinds of "Greatest Hits" collections for the Supremes, and just as well an accumulator of Ultimate Collections, Anthologies, and Fiftieth Anniversary boxed sets.

I probably have "You've Really Got A Hold On Me", for instance, on 45 rpm, Smokey Robinson & the Miracles Anthology [[1986), Hitsville USA: the Motown Singles Collection 1959 - 1971, and Motown: the Complete No.1's boxed set - but hey, good Motown is good Motown!

And, historically, in its original issuing, it came out in Britain, further exposing their people, major influences, that many of their bands was listening to, grew inspired upon, and covered upon, such as, obviously, the Beatles with "Money", "Please Mister Postman", and "You've Really Got A Hold On Me".

It would be fun to once again, buy and listen to early Motown. And hey, "Way Over There", "The One Who Really Loves You" , and "I Want A Guy" by the Marvelettes, and "Do You Love Me" by Smokey & the Miracles! It's going to be a very fun listen!
    Last edited by Ngroove; 08-31-2020 at 09:49 PM.

I too have all the songs, but with Ace you get a fabulous informative booklet and a great selection to play.We must support these projects or else these will dry up. What a great month September will be.Mine`s on order!

My copy arrived yesterday and I have now had a chance to listen to it. As usual, it is up to the high standard that Ace always provides, both in terms of sound and presentation, although this time it comes as a digipak. The booklet is very informative and includes a schedule of releases on all the different labels which were issued in the UK in those early years including many photos of the records.

When I originally saw it listed, I wasn't that interested as I already had all the tracks either on the Complete Motown Singles box sets, or from album reissues.

However, I had a rethink, and decided to get it, to provide continued demand for Ace products, but also I thought it would be nice to have this compilation as it represented a time capsule of what Motown music was available in the UK in that period [[1959-1964).

I somehow doubt that any of these tracks were played on the BBC back then, and as they also pre-date pirate radio stations, Radio Luxembourg was perhaps the only place you could hear them. The irony is that I almost certainly never heard any of them at the time as I didn't have a transistor radio I could listen to under the bedclothes!

The only question I have is regarding "Broken Hearted" by the Miracles. According to DFTMC, the version used on the original UK LP was unique to the UK. I haven't had an opportunity yet to compare this with the other two US versions I have, but to stay true, I would assume that Ace have stuck to the UK version. I might drop them a line and see if I can find out.

Quote Originally Posted by reachoutuk View Post
    My copy arrived yesterday and I have now had a chance to listen to it. As usual, it is up to the high standard that Ace always provides, both in terms of sound and presentation, although this time it comes as a digipak. The booklet is very informative and includes a schedule of releases on all the different labels which were issued in the UK in those early years including many photos of the records.

When I originally saw it listed, I wasn't that interested as I already had all the tracks either on the Complete Motown Singles box sets, or from album reissues.

However, I had a rethink, and decided to get it, to provide continued demand for Ace products, but also I thought it would be nice to have this compilation as it represented a time capsule of what Motown music was available in the UK in that period [[1959-1964).

I somehow doubt that any of these tracks were played on the BBC back then, and as they also pre-date pirate radio stations, Radio Luxembourg was perhaps the only place you could hear them. The irony is that I almost certainly never heard any of them at the time as I didn't have a transistor radio I could listen to under the bedclothes!

The only question I have is regarding "Broken Hearted" by the Miracles. According to DFTMC, the version used on the original UK LP was unique to the UK. I haven't had an opportunity yet to compare this with the other two US versions I have, but to stay true, I would assume that Ace have stuck to the UK version. I might drop them a line and see if I can find out.
    Glad I read your comments as I too wasn't planning on buying this for the same reasons you mentioned. But you changed my mind! Ordering mine today!

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Glad I read your comments as I too wasn't planning on buying this for the same reasons you mentioned. But you changed my mind! Ordering mine today!
    I hope you like it as much as I do - otherwise I might end up in trouble!

I hope that next time Ace release an unreleased on cd item that they consider doing "From The Vaults" , "Unreleased Masters From Motown`s Brightest Stars" plus the 4 classic tracks from "Motown Super Stars Sing Motown Super Stars" as a project.

I hope you like it as much as I do - otherwise I might end up in trouble!
    Lol! No need to worry! For me, just the inclusion of "Way Over There" by the Marvelettes sealed the deal for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    I hope that next time Ace release an unreleased on cd item that they consider doing "From The Vaults" , "Unreleased Masters From Motown`s Brightest Stars" plus the 4 classic tracks from "Motown Super Stars Sing Motown Super Stars" as a project.
    I agree , i'd love to see "Motown Superstars Sing Motown Superstars" on CD !!!

That would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by jbpintus View Post
    From the vaults, Never before released masters from Motown’s brightest stars, Superstars sing Superstars....
    That would be awesome!
    From the vaults, Never before released masters from Motown’s brightest stars, Superstars sing Superstars....
    That would be awesome!

I was hesitating as well before buying this, thinking I had all the tracks. But, as you suspected, the version of "Broken Hearted" here is different to that released on TCMS and the various Miracles anthologies.

As far as I can see this take is new to CD. Smokey's vocal is quite different from the single version. What a great find.

The packaging and notes are excellent too. Thoroughly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by wichmanne View Post
    I was hesitating as well before buying this, thinking I had all the tracks. But, as you suspected, the version of "Broken Hearted" here is different to that released on TCMS and the various Miracles anthologies.

As far as I can see this take is new to CD. Smokey's vocal is quite different from the single version. What a great find.

The packaging and notes are excellent too. Thoroughly recommended.
    Thank you for confirming this. That means after checking my collection, I have this track three times and each one is different, so I have the set!