[REMOVE ADS]




Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 258
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I'll wait...thanks for update 144man
    Amazon have emailed me that my copy has been dispatched and will arrive tomorrow.

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I like your point of view on "Sweet Talking Guy." I've heard lots of sour grapes about this song and I think it misses the point entirely. I keep going back to something someone posted here some years ago about these vaulted songs. He made a remark that some of these were never meant to be released. They were either works in progress, scratch vocals or just deemed not up to snuff. So that's why I appreciate that we get to hear these, whether or not we like an individual song. STG was kept in the can for a point and so it's kinda pointless to gut and torpedo a song because it doesn't suit your ears. It was something HDH tried. Nobody is gonna hit it out of the park every single time.

    That's why I like what you said; "it's pretty evident why these were kept in the can), but it's always nice to have these treasures in an official collection like this." That's how I feel. Sure, there are songs that maybe someone doesn't like but I like having the choice of hearing it anyway and gaining yet more insight into how Motown operated.
    Does no one else find it intriguing that HDH was working with the Marvelettes in mid-June 1966? Like how did that happen? Were there any other HDH tracks done by the Marvelettes? Besides the Darnell experiment?

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Does no one else find it intriguing that HDH was working with the Marvelettes in mid-June 1966? Like how did that happen? Were there any other HDH tracks done by the Marvelettes? Besides the Darnell experiment?
    “Lockin’ Up My Heart” was written and produced by HDH, and it’s been disputed whether “Where Did Our Love Go” was intended for the Marvelettes or written specially for the Supremes. There was also the occasional b-side/filler track here and there.

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Amazon have emailed me that my copy has been dispatched and will arrive tomorrow.
    I’m excited for you, let us know what you think.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Does no one else find it intriguing that HDH was working with the Marvelettes in mid-June 1966? Like how did that happen? Were there any other HDH tracks done by the Marvelettes? Besides the Darnell experiment?
    Besides the 1963 single LOCKING UP MY HEART and some b-sides, Holland and Dozier produced BAREFOOTIN' and MESSAGE TO MICHAEL on the group's 1967 self-titled album. Also tracks like I HOPE YOU HAVE BETTER LUCK THAN I DID and FINDERS KEEPERS, LOSER WEEPERS.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    ................... Holland and Dozier produced BAREFOOTIN' and MESSAGE TO MICHAEL on the group's 1967 self-titled album. Also tracks like I HOPE YOU HAVE BETTER LUCK THAN I DID and FINDERS KEEPERS, LOSER WEEPERS.
    According to DFTMC, Barefootin' and Message To Michael were both completed on May 24, 1966 ; I Hope You Have Better Luck Than I Did on June 22, 1966 and Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers on April 15, 1964. So HDH were working with the Marvelettes even in late June.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    According to DFTMC, Barefootin' and Message To Michael were both completed on May 24, 1966 ; I Hope You Have Better Luck Than I Did on June 22, 1966 and Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers on April 15, 1964. So HDH were working with the Marvelettes even in late June.
    So HDH was working with the group around the time of Where Did Our Love Go in early '64?

  8. Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Does no one else find it intriguing that HDH was working with the Marvelettes in mid-June 1966? Like how did that happen? Were there any other HDH tracks done by the Marvelettes? Besides the Darnell experiment?
    I do remember that I was excited when I found out HDH had produced Barefootin' and Message To Michael for The Pink Album. And I too wondered how that came about. Later I read that HDH did I Hope You Have Better Luck Than I Did with the intent of coming up with a potential follow up to (I think) Don't Mess With Bill. It seems after "Bill" the Marvelettes became something of a priority, even if briefly. Very interesting.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I do remember that I was excited when I found out HDH had produced Barefootin' and Message To Michael for The Pink Album. And I too wondered how that came about. Later I read that HDH did I Hope You Have Better Luck Than I Did with the intent of coming up with a potential follow up to (I think) Don't Mess With Bill. It seems after "Bill" the Marvelettes became something of a priority, even if briefly. Very interesting.
    Amazing news on the day of release it sits at number 17 in the top 100 Amazon Compilations sales charts well done guys and thanks for your support

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    We remixed what we could - there are a couple that did not have that option and so they remained (removing them would have meant the whole project was cancelled and started again). I am certain you will love the new mixes which are faithful to the 60's era from which they originate. Try mailing info@carolinerecord.com with your thoughts.
    I can stop holding my breath, this just arrived a few minutes ago and Frank Wilson is already playing. And the booklet smells freshly printed in addition to looking fantastic.

    Thank you Mr. Nixon for your hard work in getting this latest volume out and I'll be dropping a line to Caroline Records in the hope that there might be a Volume 6 one of these days!

  11. Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Amazing news on the day of release it sits at number 17 in the top 100 Amazon Compilations sales charts well done guys and thanks for your support
    Oh WOW! That is EXCELLENT news! It really is what's in the grooves that counts!

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by reachoutuk View Post
    I can stop holding my breath, this just arrived a few minutes ago and Frank Wilson is already playing. And the booklet smells freshly printed in addition to looking fantastic.

    Thank you Mr. Nixon for your hard work in getting this latest volume out and I'll be dropping a line to Caroline Records in the hope that there might be a Volume 6 one of these days!
    Thanks you we need lots of encouragement with Caroline for them to consider more volumes and even different compilations in the future.

    PS it's now in the top 5 position on Amazon compilation charts

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Thanks you we need lots of encouragement with Caroline for them to consider more volumes and even different compilations in the future.

    PS it's now in the top 5 position on Amazon compilation charts
    Great news Paul.

    Just had notification that my copy will be with me tomorrow.

  14. #114
    My copy has just arrived.

    I'm not worried by the fact I already have the tracks previously issued on download as I would prefer to have everything in physical form.

  15. #115
    Not available in Amazon Canada yet....no indication at all....no opportunity to pre order.

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    Not available in Amazon Canada yet....no indication at all....no opportunity to pre order.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsell..._zg_hrsr_music

    Cellarful of Motown 5 now outselling Frozen 2 to make the top 5 on Amazon chart

  17. #117
    Recieved mine ...now waiting to play it after tea...ive emailed them as well Paul telling them what a fantastic job you do and how much we appreciate these releases.

  18. #118
    O...M...G...im speechless and only half way through disc one.

  19. #119
    Mine arrived yesterday and had a brief flick through each of the tracks. The sound is superb - and to hear Chuck Jackson's voice so clearly is wonderful I'm sure I've never heard him sound better. Already have some favourites too. No surprise that Eddie's "There's No Love Left" is among them as I adore The Isley Brothers version. Wonderful CDs that will bring years of pleasure.

  20. #120
    Maybe it's just me, I just can't get on with these digitised stereo enhanced versions, why not just record the sound files as was recorded on the previous 4 "Cellaful's. They were never intended to sound anything like this ! remember the Motown Test good quality sound through the "Car Radio"
    Criminal! This CD is going back.

  21. #121
    I cant stop playing "It's All Over" Band Track for The Isley Brothers..W....O...W.

  22. #122
    Several volumes of 'A-Cellarful-Of-Motown Band Tracks' would suit me just fine, when driving...

  23. #123
    yes me too westgrand.

  24. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    Maybe it's just me, I just can't get on with these digitised stereo enhanced versions, why not just record the sound files as was recorded on the previous 4 "Cellaful's. They were never intended to sound anything like this ! remember the Motown Test good quality sound through the "Car Radio"
    Criminal! This CD is going back.
    We cannot all like the same thing obviously - I'd be interested to know which particular ones you really dislike - plus we have always used stereo versions of tracks when they have been available....

  25. #125
    if and when they were originally recorded by Motown in Stereo format so be it , later Demo's always had both a stereo & mono sides. I don't have a problem with that, however most of the tracks are earlier recordings and where never in stereo. It is what you have done to digitally enhance the tracks, (other than a few) that I take exception to, as they were never recorded that way. From a quick calculation of 43 tracks on COM5 only 17 are unissued. Having all of the previously unissued series It's just wrong!

  26. #126
    Paul
    There is nothing on the external disc packaging or on the internal booklet that details that these are stereo enhanced tracks, this is then completely misleading and a misrepresentation.

    I have been a great supporter of any and all Motown & Universal CD issues since the 9T's all of them without exception, including every issue of the complete Motown singles, all of the unissued years series to include Jazz and everything else in between. This without any exception has got to be the worst quality Motown CD as respects manufactured sound quality which is contrary to the Real Motown sound I have ever come across.

    You are obliged to advise Amazon and other outlets for this product of the failure to detail that the CD is an enhanced Stereo digital version.

  27. #127
    I want to hear all the tracks in the best possible quality and for me that's in stereo and digitally recorded. I too have all the unreleased downloads and am more than happy have enhanced versions on the CD - better than having both the same.

  28. #128
    Then again I also love the 20 bit remastering they did in the 90s - I'm sure not everyone does.

  29. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I want to hear all the tracks in the best possible quality and for me that's in stereo and digitally recorded. I too have all the unreleased downloads and am more than happy have enhanced versions on the CD - better than having both the same.

    As far as I'm aware every single CD issued is issued in digital sound and every single track is enhanced because it is digital. The tracks were analogue to begin with you cannot get them onto a CD without digitising them and if the tracks are unmixed then you have to mix them - and as far as I'm aware the term enhancing means to make sound better

  30. #130
    That's my point, for me digital (on the whole) provides the best sound medium and through a decent pair of headphones too. That's why all my vinyl got sold. And stereo is preferred to mono. Who cares about hearing through a car radio. By the time I got into Motown in the 70s the so called classic Motown Sound was ending
    Back in the day compilation albums were often issued in stereo and many tracks sounded different to the singles. Enhanced does indeed mean better
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 09-21-2020 at 03:48 PM.

  31. #131
    All the tracks sound perfect to me. They have to be digitally enhanced otherwise how do you get an analogue file onto CD! In the 10 year gap since Vol 4 a lot as happened. Motown Unreleased 1962 - 1969 have been issued. Ace have issued a number of Motown compilations. The number of usable tracks for consideration has therefore fallen dramatically. UMe will also be holding some back for future projects (sic). Vol 5 had been in limbo for some time resulting in several tracks appearing elsewhere or in downloads. If we want Caroline to consider more COM then our support is essential.

  32. #132
    Mine’s arrived at the amazon ‘hub’ ie a corner shop near where I live and I’m on holiday in Spain until the 29th!!! Just imagining Eddie K singing Gotta Find A way..

  33. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    All the tracks sound perfect to me. They have to be digitally enhanced otherwise how do you get an analogue file onto CD! In the 10 year gap since Vol 4 a lot as happened. Motown Unreleased 1962 - 1969 have been issued. Ace have issued a number of Motown compilations. The number of usable tracks for consideration has therefore fallen dramatically. UMe will also be holding some back for future projects (sic). Vol 5 had been in limbo for some time resulting in several tracks appearing elsewhere or in downloads. If we want Caroline to consider more COM then our support is essential.
    Having listened to the first four volumes of COM over the weekend, finally got round to hearing the whole of Vol.5 today. My email to Caroline Records attempting to encourage them to consider further similar releases in the furture has now been sent.

    One day the well will run dry, but it would be such a shame if we lost the opportunity to have the chance to listen to whatever might still be hiding in the vaults. Only three months until MU 1970 is due (fingers crossed), so in the meantime, I have started working my way through the Ace compilations again.

  34. #134
    Hi Paul -- Having just received Volume 5 with its easy to read notes and looking back at the notes for the previous volumes, would it be at all possible to publish the notes (and track listings) for Volumes 1-4. The fonts on these have become a bit difficult to read!

    With Thanks,

    Ray

  35. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by mem1320 View Post
    Hi Paul -- Having just received Volume 5 with its easy to read notes and looking back at the notes for the previous volumes, would it be at all possible to publish the notes (and track listings) for Volumes 1-4. The fonts on these have become a bit difficult to read!

    With Thanks,

    Ray
    Emmm I'm not sure I would know how to do that - I wish I had them all in word document form then I could easily do it - I totally understand - small type and the vagaries of the design artists have left me more than frustrated in the past. I recently received a box set with ok'ish font size but the type was black on brown and my eye sight isnot that brilliant with black on white....

  36. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Emmm I'm not sure I would know how to do that - I wish I had them all in word document form then I could easily do it - I totally understand - small type and the vagaries of the design artists have left me more than frustrated in the past. I recently received a box set with ok'ish font size but the type was black on brown and my eye sight isnot that brilliant with black on white....
    Thanks for getting back to me. I kinda assumed you may have had them in a word/text format. I guess one laborious option would be to scan, magnify and re-type them! But I wouldn't mind betting there is a more technical solution out there.

  37. #137
    I'd love to have heard what the Holland boys and Lamont had in mind lyric-wise for 'It's All Over'. And what the Isleys' would have made of it. What a fabulous track!

  38. #138
    Isn't it just the 'dogs' I couldn't believe it when I first heard it a real dancer !!!!

  39. #139
    The Isleys could sing anything - just love their sound especially back then.

  40. #140
    Is this out in the US yet? I don't see it on Amazon US.

  41. #141
    Available this Friday, September 25:

    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=a+cellarf...b_sb_ss_i_1_12

  42. #142
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Available this Friday, September 25:

    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=a+cellarf...b_sb_ss_i_1_12
    Thank you!!!!

  43. #143
    It's so great to hear some "new" HDH tracks.

  44. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    It's so great to hear some "new" HDH tracks.
    It's great to see so many of you appreciating it and to see the sales figures

  45. #145
    Paul and the team, many thanks for your continued commitment to bringing the fans so much unreleased material that would never seen the light of day if not for your perseverance.
    My copy has been on repeat since I received it on Saturday, loving the Martha, Gladys, and Marvellettes tracks, would still love GK & Pips Unreleased set.

  46. #146
    Pre -Ordered this set, glad to see the series is back, what a pleasant surprise, wondering
    how many completed tracks are still in the vaults that are decent to release? The 3 HDH tracks are great, too bad they didn't complete with the lyrics and the artists.

  47. #147
    Does the partnership with Caroline allow access to ALL Motown recordings....both previously released tracks and unissued recordings.
    If so, could special projects , i.e. an Ivy Hunter collection possible?
    If so, we can contact them with support .

  48. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Does the partnership with Caroline allow access to ALL Motown recordings....both previously released tracks and unissued recordings.
    If so, could special projects , i.e. an Ivy Hunter collection possible?
    If so, we can contact them with support .
    Please do contact them with support - your example is one I have had up my sleeve for a long time the problem with it being that the artist is not one that immediately springs to mind to a non Motown person so persuading anyone that there is a market (a reasonably substantial one) is difficult s- anything you can do to tell them you are enjoying what they have put out is helpful.

    I take it you are enjoying it Snake? happy with the actual sound of the CD - I know you can't please all of the people all of the time.

  49. #149
    Quote Originally Posted by nevertoolate View Post
    Pre -Ordered this set, glad to see the series is back, what a pleasant surprise, wondering
    how many completed tracks are still in the vaults that are decent to release? The 3 HDH tracks are great, too bad they didn't complete with the lyrics and the artists.
    You know the well is running a little dry - the big names have all but gone apart from one where there is difficulties releasing the product. However I think there is enough to do several more releases. The HDH backing tracks are amazing - they sound wonderful - can't wait for you to get it so you can share your thoughts.

  50. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    Paul and the team, many thanks for your continued commitment to bringing the fans so much unreleased material that would never seen the light of day if not for your perseverance.
    My copy has been on repeat since I received it on Saturday, loving the Martha, Gladys, and Marvellettes tracks, would still love GK & Pips Unreleased set.
    Wow that's great news to hear always a sign of a good record when it gets repeated - I take it you are happy with the actual sound of the tracks? As far as GK is concerned the 'actual' Lost And Found which was cancelled all those years ago has all but been released now and as far as I know there is very little left - maybe some alternates.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.