[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Wow how nice to see Keith Hughes back on here.

Indeed it is
    ...welcome Keith

Amazing how quite suddenly a few of these releases have materialized - like this and Funny Girl

Congratulations and well done

Thank you, luckylucky, mjdestiny and snakepit! Just been taking a break ... now working with Mick Patrick on a new Motown Girls comp for release next year. On Ace, natch. Meantime it's great to see the Cellarful brand revived ... can it really be ten years?

Another Motown Girls comp..... I know it will be great. If you haven't finalized the tracklist, would you consider including Little Lisa's "My Daddy Knows Best" ? And if I might be so bold, a Jean-Terrell lead Supremes track 'That's How Much You Made Me Love You".

Hi Keith
    A new Girls CD sounds very exciting.
    I've been doing a bit of tidying up, and it is amazing the number of tracks that have escaped from the vaults over the years.
    All the guys involved are doing a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Thank you, luckylucky, mjdestiny and snakepit! Just been taking a break ... now working with Mick Patrick on a new Motown Girls comp for release next year. On Ace, natch. Meantime it's great to see the Cellarful brand revived ... can it really be ten years?
    That is good news to hear. Any and all remaining Ann Bogan and early Val Simpson tracks would be greatly appreciated, plus any remaining Brenda Holloway tracks would be great as well!

Although I already have it, I would like to see the rest of the world enjoy the alternate version to Martha's "Bless You."

Wonderful news! Thank you Keith and Ace.More quality music can`t wait.

Fabulous news ��.

A massive thanks to the entire team who made this release possible. All the hard work and persistence has paid off.

Paul:
    It's been a very long time since I've logged on. What a treat to find this on the home page!

I'm fortunate to be living about 6 blocks away from Dusty Groove, which is on my regular route. Will be heading there tomorrow!

While I'll save comments till I get a chance to listen, the fact that you managed to get this out at all [[not to mention during a pandemic) deserves a huge amount of credit!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Although I already have it, I would like to see the rest of the world enjoy the alternate version to Martha's "Bless You."
    Oh wow, there's an alternate version of BLESS YOU?

Good news: A Cellarful Of Motown, Vol. 5 is now available for pre-order at Amazon USA. Other stateside vendors should be offering it soon.

Amazon USA-
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087R5PKDG...s%2C158&sr=1-1

A Cellarful Of Motown, Vol. 5 is also now available for pre-order from importcds.com and deepdiscount.com.

https://www.importcds.com/cellarful-...s/600753847008

https://www.deepdiscount.com/various...t/600753847008

Just a warning to anyone preordering from Amazon UK.

I clicked on the link for Volume 5.
    When I received my confirmation email, it just said "A Cellarful of Motown".
    I then noticed that the tracks for Volume One had been loaded to my Amazon Music account.
    Concerned that i would receive the wrong CD, I contacted Amazon, where the representative had the same problem as I did.
    He therefore cancelled my order.

I shall have to try to reorder later in the week. Hopefully a valid link will be up soon.

I checked my order on Amazon UK.
    It said CFOM but not Vol 5.
    Reviews below are from Vol 1.
    Hope the suppliers get this right!

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I checked my order on Amazon UK.
    It said CFOM but not Vol 5.
    Reviews below are from Vol 1.
    Hope the suppliers get this right!
    I found it quite easy to contact Amazon on online chat and get them to phone me back. I'd advise you to talk to them first rather than running the risk of having to return the wrong item.

Ok thanks ..will look at this

Ordered mine today from ebay uk.

I rang Amazon to query this but unfortunately I had a difficult conversation trying to explain that CFOM 5 was showing CFOM kn order with track reviews of vol 1.
    I have cancelled my order.

Paul,
    This is great news regarding the upcoming CFOM#5 release! I recently listened to all of the previous 4 versions also, and am anxiously awaiting its availability.

Fantastic news ... well done Paul

Andy

So I had pre order it on amazon, then received a notice a few days later that it was no longer available

Quote Originally Posted by Dantown View Post
    So I had pre order it on amazon, then received a notice a few days later that it was no longer available
    I believe Amazon have got their act together now - it certainly is about time

I rang Amazon to query this but unfortunately I had a difficult conversation trying to explain that CFOM 5 was showing CFOM kn order with track reviews of vol 1.
    I have cancelled my order.
    I have now successfully reordered CFOM 5 from Amazon. As the order now clearly shows "5", I expect to receive the correct copy despite them having again autoripped Volume 1 to my Amazon Music account. A release date is shown but no delivery date yet.

I'll wait...thanks for update 144man

I'll wait...thanks for update 144man
    https://www.adampwhite.com/westgrand...T15%3A58%3A08Z

Really thrilled with this new set - I hope you love it as much as I do and as much as I loved putting it together, I'm enjoying this one as much as Volume One - only got it today and its been on repeat all dayName:  119182511_867007240747786_6546242656424657797_n.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  95.0 KBName:  119182485_739519760159890_1063805226758852544_n.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  97.3 KBName:  119176239_771051747016828_6750138116732270121_n.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  102.7 KB
    Last edited by paul_nixon; 09-11-2020 at 01:42 PM.

I can't wait for this new release!

Nice to see this one getting a first official outing -I'm sure "I Love The Way He Loves Me" will sound much better on CFOM5...

Last edited by mysterysinger; 09-11-2020 at 04:06 PM.

Looks good.

So the MU series did play a role in the CFOM series being halted. But ultimately there’s still enough in the vault to continue the series.

This is exciting that they're reviving this set. I can't say I'm in love with some of the ones already released [[the Vandellas' "Don't Let Me Lose This Dream" and the Marvelettes' "Sweet Talking Guy," for example - it's pretty evident why these were kept in the can), but it's always nice to have these treasures in an official collection like this.

Have to agree about "Sweet Talking Guy" as I think it's embarrassing. I don't care for "While The City Sleeps" yet I love Bobby and The Spinners. But I'll be glad to have them alongside the rest of the set which looks very exciting and frankly a bargain for the money. A must have.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Have to agree about "Sweet Talking Guy" as I think it's embarrassing. I don't care for "While The City Sleeps" yet I love Bobby and The Spinners. But I'll be glad to have them alongside the rest of the set which looks very exciting and frankly a bargain for the money. A must have.
    Have to disagree with Sweet being embarrassing especially in it's new stereo COM5 mix - included originally as it was one of the last Marvelettes tracks in the vaults the same applies to the Spinners - unfortunately due to the time scale COM5 has had to suffer these tracks have appeared elsewhere and I considered deleting them from this set but that would have meant starting all over so I decided new mixes and a physical release gave me all the excuse I needed to leave be.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    This is exciting that they're reviving this set. I can't say I'm in love with some of the ones already released [[the Vandellas' "Don't Let Me Lose This Dream" and the Marvelettes' "Sweet Talking Guy," for example - it's pretty evident why these were kept in the can), but it's always nice to have these treasures in an official collection like this.
    Don't Let Me Lose This Dream released? sorry I must have missed that in the run up to putting this together where is it please?

I know this is about COM5 but how do you all think about Martha's It's easy to fall in love [[with a guy like you) from COM1? Also for the people who put it together. Did you hear this song and think how was this left in the can??? I love this song and always have it in my Martha and the Vandellas play list.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Don't Let Me Lose This Dream released? sorry I must have missed that in the run up to putting this together where is it please?
    Motown Unreleased 68 part one, so it’s still making its debut on a physical format.

Have to disagree with Sweet being embarrassing especially in it's new stereo COM5 mix - included originally as it was one of the last Marvelettes tracks in the vaults the same applies to the Spinners - unfortunately due to the time scale COM5 has had to suffer these tracks have appeared elsewhere and I considered deleting them from this set but that would have meant starting all over so I decided new mixes and a physical release gave me all the excuse I needed to leave be.
    My issue with “While The City Sleeps” is that it’s already available on CD. I personally would have gone with there superb rendition of “Twelve Months of the Year” or “Dance Yeah Dance” myself.

Paul, your long-time dedication and hardwork "down in the Cellar" is evident and I think you made the right decision to remix certain "previously released unreleased tracks" to give them a 'fresh take' rather then removing them entirely. With that in mind, is it fair to conclude that if any tracks on CFOM5 have since been released elsewhere that you had them remixed? Looking at the tray card [[back on page one here), there's nothing indicating alternate/new mixes for those specific tracks. I'm always open to alternate mixes. Sometimes that can improve tracks that needed some help or make a great track stellar. THANK YOU for all of your hard work and patience on the CFOM series. I hope there's a possibility it might continue in the future!

P.S. Is there a specific e-mail address or snail-mail address where we can write to express our appreciation and pleasure for CFOM when it is released later this week?

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Paul, your long-time dedication and hardwork "down in the Cellar" is evident and I think you made the right decision to remix certain "previously released unreleased tracks" to give them a 'fresh take' rather then removing them entirely. With that in mind, is it fair to conclude that if any tracks on CFOM5 have since been released elsewhere that you had them remixed? Looking at the tray card [[back on page one here), there's nothing indicating alternate/new mixes for those specific tracks. I'm always open to alternate mixes. Sometimes that can improve tracks that needed some help or make a great track stellar. THANK YOU for all of your hard work and patience on the CFOM series. I hope there's a possibility it might continue in the future!

P.S. Is there a specific e-mail address or snail-mail address where we can write to express our appreciation and pleasure for CFOM when it is released later this week?
    We remixed what we could - there are a couple that did not have that option and so they remained [[removing them would have meant the whole project was cancelled and started again). I am certain you will love the new mixes which are faithful to the 60's era from which they originate. Try mailing info@carolinerecord.com with your thoughts.

Then yes a physical debut and it's a shame about While The City Sleeps but hey poo happens

I wouldn't worry too much about the tracks that have already made it out previously. That certainly wouldn't put me off and I know the sound quality here will be top class.

Just my humble opinion but I think "Sweet Talking Guy" starts well then becomes a car crash. Anyhow, again that's not a reason not to buy CFOM5. This release is more than welcome and we should all support it.

Thankfull that I put my order in with Amazon at £15.10 because today it's up at £19.02. Wonder if I'll also get a free download lol.

Have I got my ears on back to front, as I like "Sweet Talking Guy" Is it the unusual bass which I like or is it something else?

Just had another listen to STG by The Marvelettes - the instrumentation and backing vocals are ok but the lead vocal is all over the show. It lacks the beauty of the version by The Chiffons. Find it hard to listen to to be honest.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 09-15-2020 at 04:19 PM.

Thanks mystery. I don`t have any problems myself - another Marvelettes vault track that I`m happy to have in my collection.I mainly listen to the bass so the vocal isn`t so important to me.I can`t wait for my copy of this long awaited cd.

Eagerly awaited here too. Already saving up for Volume 6 in 2030 lol

And here's an article from the Second Disc site about A Cellarful of Motown, Vol. to add to the anticipation of it's release.

A Miracle Happened: “A Cellarful of Motown” Returns with Gems from The Temptations, Martha and The Vandellas, Marvin Gaye, Kim Weston, Blinky, and More

SEPTEMBER 15, 2020 BY JOE MARCHESE

The classic Motown vaults are, once again, open. This Friday, the U.K.’s Caroline label will release the long-anticipated fifth volume of A Cellarful of Motown, the rarities series which last saw a volume in 2010. But this 2-CD, 43-song collection promises to have been worth the wait as it features previously unreleased and new-to-CD tracks from such household name artists as Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, Martha Reeves and The Vandellas, Gladys Knight and The Pips, and The [[Detroit) Spinners as well as cherished favorites including Chuck Jackson, Barbara McNair, Billy Eckstine, Brenda Holloway, Chris Clark, and the subject of Second Disc Records’ 2019 Heart Full of Soul: The Motown Anthology, Blinky.

As usual for the Cellarful series, producer-annotator Paul Nixon has uncovered one unreleased gem after another here. Cornelius Grant and producer Norman Whitfield teamed with Eddie Holland and Eddie Kendricks to write The Temptations’ “I Gotta Find a Way [[To Get You Back),” with Kendricks on lead instead of Dennis Edwards as on the final, released version. Holland is heard on 1965’s “There’s No Love Left,” while his brother Brian’s rendition of the standard “Only You” from the year prior is also featured. The Lewis Sisters, talented tunesmiths in their own rights, are heard on Holland-Dozier-Holland’s “Whisper You Love Me Boy” from Motown’s West Coast division in 1964. H-D-H is well-represented here with R. Dean Taylor’s Vietnam-era “What in the World’s Going On” [[marrying a solemn lyric to a quintessential, uptempo Motown groove), Sammy Turner’s “Until You Love Someone,” and Hearts of Stone’s “[[Come ‘Round Here) I’m the One You Need.” The latter quartet only released one album on Motown, 1970’s Stop the World – We Gonna Get On, but “I’m the One You Need” shows them still making great music almost two years later.

Read More Here:
    https://theseconddisc.com/2020/09/15...inky-and-more/

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    And here's an article from the Second Disc site about A Cellarful of Motown, Vol. to add to the anticipation of it's release.

A Miracle Happened: “A Cellarful of Motown” Returns with Gems from The Temptations, Martha and The Vandellas, Marvin Gaye, Kim Weston, Blinky, and More

SEPTEMBER 15, 2020 BY JOE MARCHESE

The classic Motown vaults are, once again, open. This Friday, the U.K.’s Caroline label will release the long-anticipated fifth volume of A Cellarful of Motown, the rarities series which last saw a volume in 2010. But this 2-CD, 43-song collection promises to have been worth the wait as it features previously unreleased and new-to-CD tracks from such household name artists as Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, Martha Reeves and The Vandellas, Gladys Knight and The Pips, and The [[Detroit) Spinners as well as cherished favorites including Chuck Jackson, Barbara McNair, Billy Eckstine, Brenda Holloway, Chris Clark, and the subject of Second Disc Records’ 2019 Heart Full of Soul: The Motown Anthology, Blinky.

As usual for the Cellarful series, producer-annotator Paul Nixon has uncovered one unreleased gem after another here. Cornelius Grant and producer Norman Whitfield teamed with Eddie Holland and Eddie Kendricks to write The Temptations’ “I Gotta Find a Way [[To Get You Back),” with Kendricks on lead instead of Dennis Edwards as on the final, released version. Holland is heard on 1965’s “There’s No Love Left,” while his brother Brian’s rendition of the standard “Only You” from the year prior is also featured. The Lewis Sisters, talented tunesmiths in their own rights, are heard on Holland-Dozier-Holland’s “Whisper You Love Me Boy” from Motown’s West Coast division in 1964. H-D-H is well-represented here with R. Dean Taylor’s Vietnam-era “What in the World’s Going On” [[marrying a solemn lyric to a quintessential, uptempo Motown groove), Sammy Turner’s “Until You Love Someone,” and Hearts of Stone’s “[[Come ‘Round Here) I’m the One You Need.” The latter quartet only released one album on Motown, 1970’s Stop the World – We Gonna Get On, but “I’m the One You Need” shows them still making great music almost two years later.

Read More Here:
    https://theseconddisc.com/2020/09/15...inky-and-more/
    I gather Martha has been eagerly awaiting the release of I Love The Way He Loves Me

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    I like your point of view on "Sweet Talking Guy." I've heard lots of sour grapes about this song and I think it misses the point entirely. I keep going back to something someone posted here some years ago about these vaulted songs. He made a remark that some of these were never meant to be released. They were either works in progress, scratch vocals or just deemed not up to snuff. So that's why I appreciate that we get to hear these, whether or not we like an individual song. STG was kept in the can for a point and so it's kinda pointless to gut and torpedo a song because it doesn't suit your ears. It was something HDH tried. Nobody is gonna hit it out of the park every single time.

That's why I like what you said; "it's pretty evident why these were kept in the can), but it's always nice to have these treasures in an official collection like this." That's how I feel. Sure, there are songs that maybe someone doesn't like but I like having the choice of hearing it anyway and gaining yet more insight into how Motown operated.