[REMOVE ADS]




Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 273
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,063
    Rep Power
    167
    Wow how nice to see Keith Hughes back on here.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,512
    Rep Power
    182
    Indeed it is
    ...welcome Keith

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    20,617
    Rep Power
    351
    Amazing how quite suddenly a few of these releases have materialized - like this and Funny Girl

    Congratulations and well done

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    700
    Rep Power
    144
    Thank you, luckylucky, mjdestiny and snakepit! Just been taking a break ... now working with Mick Patrick on a new Motown Girls comp for release next year. On Ace, natch. Meantime it's great to see the Cellarful brand revived ... can it really be ten years?

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    556
    Rep Power
    58
    Another Motown Girls comp..... I know it will be great. If you haven't finalized the tracklist, would you consider including Little Lisa's "My Daddy Knows Best" ? And if I might be so bold, a Jean-Terrell lead Supremes track 'That's How Much You Made Me Love You".

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,512
    Rep Power
    182
    Hi Keith
    A new Girls CD sounds very exciting.
    I've been doing a bit of tidying up, and it is amazing the number of tracks that have escaped from the vaults over the years.
    All the guys involved are doing a great job.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    675
    Rep Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Thank you, luckylucky, mjdestiny and snakepit! Just been taking a break ... now working with Mick Patrick on a new Motown Girls comp for release next year. On Ace, natch. Meantime it's great to see the Cellarful brand revived ... can it really be ten years?
    That is good news to hear. Any and all remaining Ann Bogan and early Val Simpson tracks would be greatly appreciated, plus any remaining Brenda Holloway tracks would be great as well!

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,330
    Rep Power
    165
    Although I already have it, I would like to see the rest of the world enjoy the alternate version to Martha's "Bless You."

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,051
    Rep Power
    132
    Wonderful news! Thank you Keith and Ace.More quality music can`t wait.

  10. #60
    Fabulous news ��.

    A massive thanks to the entire team who made this release possible. All the hard work and persistence has paid off.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    137
    Paul:
    It's been a very long time since I've logged on. What a treat to find this on the home page!

    I'm fortunate to be living about 6 blocks away from Dusty Groove, which is on my regular route. Will be heading there tomorrow!

    While I'll save comments till I get a chance to listen, the fact that you managed to get this out at all [[not to mention during a pandemic) deserves a huge amount of credit!

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    145
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Although I already have it, I would like to see the rest of the world enjoy the alternate version to Martha's "Bless You."
    Oh wow, there's an alternate version of BLESS YOU?

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,577
    Rep Power
    158
    Good news: A Cellarful Of Motown, Vol. 5 is now available for pre-order at Amazon USA. Other stateside vendors should be offering it soon.

    Amazon USA-
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087R5PKDG...s%2C158&sr=1-1

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    137
    A Cellarful Of Motown, Vol. 5 is also now available for pre-order from importcds.com and deepdiscount.com.

    https://www.importcds.com/cellarful-...s/600753847008

    https://www.deepdiscount.com/various...t/600753847008

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    10,330
    Rep Power
    267
    Just a warning to anyone preordering from Amazon UK.

    I clicked on the link for Volume 5.
    When I received my confirmation email, it just said "A Cellarful of Motown".
    I then noticed that the tracks for Volume One had been loaded to my Amazon Music account.
    Concerned that i would receive the wrong CD, I contacted Amazon, where the representative had the same problem as I did.
    He therefore cancelled my order.

    I shall have to try to reorder later in the week. Hopefully a valid link will be up soon.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,512
    Rep Power
    182
    I checked my order on Amazon UK.
    It said CFOM but not Vol 5.
    Reviews below are from Vol 1.
    Hope the suppliers get this right!

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    10,330
    Rep Power
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I checked my order on Amazon UK.
    It said CFOM but not Vol 5.
    Reviews below are from Vol 1.
    Hope the suppliers get this right!
    I found it quite easy to contact Amazon on online chat and get them to phone me back. I'd advise you to talk to them first rather than running the risk of having to return the wrong item.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,512
    Rep Power
    182
    Ok thanks ..will look at this

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    523
    Rep Power
    122
    Ordered mine today from ebay uk.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,512
    Rep Power
    182
    I rang Amazon to query this but unfortunately I had a difficult conversation trying to explain that CFOM 5 was showing CFOM kn order with track reviews of vol 1.
    I have cancelled my order.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    440
    Rep Power
    140
    Paul,
    This is great news regarding the upcoming CFOM#5 release! I recently listened to all of the previous 4 versions also, and am anxiously awaiting its availability.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    129
    Fantastic news ... well done Paul

    Andy

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0
    So I had pre order it on amazon, then received a notice a few days later that it was no longer available

  24. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantown View Post
    So I had pre order it on amazon, then received a notice a few days later that it was no longer available
    I believe Amazon have got their act together now - it certainly is about time

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    10,330
    Rep Power
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I rang Amazon to query this but unfortunately I had a difficult conversation trying to explain that CFOM 5 was showing CFOM kn order with track reviews of vol 1.
    I have cancelled my order.
    I have now successfully reordered CFOM 5 from Amazon. As the order now clearly shows "5", I expect to receive the correct copy despite them having again autoripped Volume 1 to my Amazon Music account. A release date is shown but no delivery date yet.

  26. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,512
    Rep Power
    182
    I'll wait...thanks for update 144man

  27. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I'll wait...thanks for update 144man
    https://www.adampwhite.com/westgrand...T15%3A58%3A08Z

  28. #78
    Really thrilled with this new set - I hope you love it as much as I do and as much as I loved putting it together, I'm enjoying this one as much as Volume One - only got it today and its been on repeat all dayName:  119182511_867007240747786_6546242656424657797_n.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  95.0 KBName:  119182485_739519760159890_1063805226758852544_n.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  97.3 KBName:  119176239_771051747016828_6750138116732270121_n.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  102.7 KB
    Last edited by paul_nixon; 09-11-2020 at 01:42 PM.

  29. #79
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    675
    Rep Power
    33
    I can't wait for this new release!

  30. #80
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,063
    Rep Power
    167
    Nice to see this one getting a first official outing -I'm sure "I Love The Way He Loves Me" will sound much better on CFOM5...

    Last edited by mysterysinger; 09-11-2020 at 04:06 PM.

  31. #81
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,512
    Rep Power
    182
    Looks good.

  32. #82
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,018
    Rep Power
    146
    So the MU series did play a role in the CFOM series being halted. But ultimately there’s still enough in the vault to continue the series.

  33. #83
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,673
    Rep Power
    163
    This is exciting that they're reviving this set. I can't say I'm in love with some of the ones already released [[the Vandellas' "Don't Let Me Lose This Dream" and the Marvelettes' "Sweet Talking Guy," for example - it's pretty evident why these were kept in the can), but it's always nice to have these treasures in an official collection like this.

  34. #84
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,063
    Rep Power
    167
    Have to agree about "Sweet Talking Guy" as I think it's embarrassing. I don't care for "While The City Sleeps" yet I love Bobby and The Spinners. But I'll be glad to have them alongside the rest of the set which looks very exciting and frankly a bargain for the money. A must have.

  35. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Have to agree about "Sweet Talking Guy" as I think it's embarrassing. I don't care for "While The City Sleeps" yet I love Bobby and The Spinners. But I'll be glad to have them alongside the rest of the set which looks very exciting and frankly a bargain for the money. A must have.
    Have to disagree with Sweet being embarrassing especially in it's new stereo COM5 mix - included originally as it was one of the last Marvelettes tracks in the vaults the same applies to the Spinners - unfortunately due to the time scale COM5 has had to suffer these tracks have appeared elsewhere and I considered deleting them from this set but that would have meant starting all over so I decided new mixes and a physical release gave me all the excuse I needed to leave be.

  36. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    This is exciting that they're reviving this set. I can't say I'm in love with some of the ones already released [[the Vandellas' "Don't Let Me Lose This Dream" and the Marvelettes' "Sweet Talking Guy," for example - it's pretty evident why these were kept in the can), but it's always nice to have these treasures in an official collection like this.
    Don't Let Me Lose This Dream released? sorry I must have missed that in the run up to putting this together where is it please?

  37. #87
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    394
    Rep Power
    130
    I know this is about COM5 but how do you all think about Martha's It's easy to fall in love [[with a guy like you) from COM1? Also for the people who put it together. Did you hear this song and think how was this left in the can??? I love this song and always have it in my Martha and the Vandellas play list.

  38. #88
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,018
    Rep Power
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Don't Let Me Lose This Dream released? sorry I must have missed that in the run up to putting this together where is it please?
    Motown Unreleased 68 part one, so it’s still making its debut on a physical format.

  39. #89
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,018
    Rep Power
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Have to disagree with Sweet being embarrassing especially in it's new stereo COM5 mix - included originally as it was one of the last Marvelettes tracks in the vaults the same applies to the Spinners - unfortunately due to the time scale COM5 has had to suffer these tracks have appeared elsewhere and I considered deleting them from this set but that would have meant starting all over so I decided new mixes and a physical release gave me all the excuse I needed to leave be.
    My issue with “While The City Sleeps” is that it’s already available on CD. I personally would have gone with there superb rendition of “Twelve Months of the Year” or “Dance Yeah Dance” myself.

  40. #90
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    831
    Rep Power
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Have to disagree with Sweet being embarrassing especially in it's new stereo COM5 mix - included originally as it was one of the last Marvelettes tracks in the vaults the same applies to the Spinners - unfortunately due to the time scale COM5 has had to suffer these tracks have appeared elsewhere and I considered deleting them from this set but that would have meant starting all over so I decided new mixes and a physical release gave me all the excuse I needed to leave be.
    Paul, your long-time dedication and hardwork "down in the Cellar" is evident and I think you made the right decision to remix certain "previously released unreleased tracks" to give them a 'fresh take' rather then removing them entirely. With that in mind, is it fair to conclude that if any tracks on CFOM5 have since been released elsewhere that you had them remixed? Looking at the tray card [[back on page one here), there's nothing indicating alternate/new mixes for those specific tracks. I'm always open to alternate mixes. Sometimes that can improve tracks that needed some help or make a great track stellar. THANK YOU for all of your hard work and patience on the CFOM series. I hope there's a possibility it might continue in the future!

    P.S. Is there a specific e-mail address or snail-mail address where we can write to express our appreciation and pleasure for CFOM when it is released later this week?

  41. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Paul, your long-time dedication and hardwork "down in the Cellar" is evident and I think you made the right decision to remix certain "previously released unreleased tracks" to give them a 'fresh take' rather then removing them entirely. With that in mind, is it fair to conclude that if any tracks on CFOM5 have since been released elsewhere that you had them remixed? Looking at the tray card [[back on page one here), there's nothing indicating alternate/new mixes for those specific tracks. I'm always open to alternate mixes. Sometimes that can improve tracks that needed some help or make a great track stellar. THANK YOU for all of your hard work and patience on the CFOM series. I hope there's a possibility it might continue in the future!

    P.S. Is there a specific e-mail address or snail-mail address where we can write to express our appreciation and pleasure for CFOM when it is released later this week?
    We remixed what we could - there are a couple that did not have that option and so they remained [[removing them would have meant the whole project was cancelled and started again). I am certain you will love the new mixes which are faithful to the 60's era from which they originate. Try mailing info@carolinerecord.com with your thoughts.

  42. #92
    Then yes a physical debut and it's a shame about While The City Sleeps but hey poo happens

  43. #93
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,063
    Rep Power
    167
    I wouldn't worry too much about the tracks that have already made it out previously. That certainly wouldn't put me off and I know the sound quality here will be top class.

    Just my humble opinion but I think "Sweet Talking Guy" starts well then becomes a car crash. Anyhow, again that's not a reason not to buy CFOM5. This release is more than welcome and we should all support it.

    Thankfull that I put my order in with Amazon at £15.10 because today it's up at £19.02. Wonder if I'll also get a free download lol.

  44. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,051
    Rep Power
    132
    Have I got my ears on back to front, as I like "Sweet Talking Guy" Is it the unusual bass which I like or is it something else?

  45. #95
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,063
    Rep Power
    167
    Just had another listen to STG by The Marvelettes - the instrumentation and backing vocals are ok but the lead vocal is all over the show. It lacks the beauty of the version by The Chiffons. Find it hard to listen to to be honest.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 09-15-2020 at 04:19 PM.

  46. #96
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,051
    Rep Power
    132
    Thanks mystery. I don`t have any problems myself - another Marvelettes vault track that I`m happy to have in my collection.I mainly listen to the bass so the vocal isn`t so important to me.I can`t wait for my copy of this long awaited cd.

  47. #97
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,063
    Rep Power
    167
    Eagerly awaited here too. Already saving up for Volume 6 in 2030 lol

  48. #98
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,577
    Rep Power
    158
    And here's an article from the Second Disc site about A Cellarful of Motown, Vol. to add to the anticipation of it's release.

    A Miracle Happened: “A Cellarful of Motown” Returns with Gems from The Temptations, Martha and The Vandellas, Marvin Gaye, Kim Weston, Blinky, and More

    SEPTEMBER 15, 2020 BY JOE MARCHESE


    The classic Motown vaults are, once again, open. This Friday, the U.K.’s Caroline label will release the long-anticipated fifth volume of A Cellarful of Motown, the rarities series which last saw a volume in 2010. But this 2-CD, 43-song collection promises to have been worth the wait as it features previously unreleased and new-to-CD tracks from such household name artists as Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, Martha Reeves and The Vandellas, Gladys Knight and The Pips, and The [[Detroit) Spinners as well as cherished favorites including Chuck Jackson, Barbara McNair, Billy Eckstine, Brenda Holloway, Chris Clark, and the subject of Second Disc Records’ 2019 Heart Full of Soul: The Motown Anthology, Blinky.

    As usual for the Cellarful series, producer-annotator Paul Nixon has uncovered one unreleased gem after another here. Cornelius Grant and producer Norman Whitfield teamed with Eddie Holland and Eddie Kendricks to write The Temptations’ “I Gotta Find a Way [[To Get You Back),” with Kendricks on lead instead of Dennis Edwards as on the final, released version. Holland is heard on 1965’s “There’s No Love Left,” while his brother Brian’s rendition of the standard “Only You” from the year prior is also featured. The Lewis Sisters, talented tunesmiths in their own rights, are heard on Holland-Dozier-Holland’s “Whisper You Love Me Boy” from Motown’s West Coast division in 1964. H-D-H is well-represented here with R. Dean Taylor’s Vietnam-era “What in the World’s Going On” [[marrying a solemn lyric to a quintessential, uptempo Motown groove), Sammy Turner’s “Until You Love Someone,” and Hearts of Stone’s “[[Come ‘Round Here) I’m the One You Need.” The latter quartet only released one album on Motown, 1970’s Stop the World – We Gonna Get On, but “I’m the One You Need” shows them still making great music almost two years later.

    Read More Here:
    https://theseconddisc.com/2020/09/15...inky-and-more/

  49. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    And here's an article from the Second Disc site about A Cellarful of Motown, Vol. to add to the anticipation of it's release.

    A Miracle Happened: “A Cellarful of Motown” Returns with Gems from The Temptations, Martha and The Vandellas, Marvin Gaye, Kim Weston, Blinky, and More

    SEPTEMBER 15, 2020 BY JOE MARCHESE


    The classic Motown vaults are, once again, open. This Friday, the U.K.’s Caroline label will release the long-anticipated fifth volume of A Cellarful of Motown, the rarities series which last saw a volume in 2010. But this 2-CD, 43-song collection promises to have been worth the wait as it features previously unreleased and new-to-CD tracks from such household name artists as Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, Martha Reeves and The Vandellas, Gladys Knight and The Pips, and The [[Detroit) Spinners as well as cherished favorites including Chuck Jackson, Barbara McNair, Billy Eckstine, Brenda Holloway, Chris Clark, and the subject of Second Disc Records’ 2019 Heart Full of Soul: The Motown Anthology, Blinky.

    As usual for the Cellarful series, producer-annotator Paul Nixon has uncovered one unreleased gem after another here. Cornelius Grant and producer Norman Whitfield teamed with Eddie Holland and Eddie Kendricks to write The Temptations’ “I Gotta Find a Way [[To Get You Back),” with Kendricks on lead instead of Dennis Edwards as on the final, released version. Holland is heard on 1965’s “There’s No Love Left,” while his brother Brian’s rendition of the standard “Only You” from the year prior is also featured. The Lewis Sisters, talented tunesmiths in their own rights, are heard on Holland-Dozier-Holland’s “Whisper You Love Me Boy” from Motown’s West Coast division in 1964. H-D-H is well-represented here with R. Dean Taylor’s Vietnam-era “What in the World’s Going On” [[marrying a solemn lyric to a quintessential, uptempo Motown groove), Sammy Turner’s “Until You Love Someone,” and Hearts of Stone’s “[[Come ‘Round Here) I’m the One You Need.” The latter quartet only released one album on Motown, 1970’s Stop the World – We Gonna Get On, but “I’m the One You Need” shows them still making great music almost two years later.

    Read More Here:
    https://theseconddisc.com/2020/09/15...inky-and-more/
    I gather Martha has been eagerly awaiting the release of I Love The Way He Loves Me

  50. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    This is exciting that they're reviving this set. I can't say I'm in love with some of the ones already released [[the Vandellas' "Don't Let Me Lose This Dream" and the Marvelettes' "Sweet Talking Guy," for example - it's pretty evident why these were kept in the can), but it's always nice to have these treasures in an official collection like this.
    I like your point of view on "Sweet Talking Guy." I've heard lots of sour grapes about this song and I think it misses the point entirely. I keep going back to something someone posted here some years ago about these vaulted songs. He made a remark that some of these were never meant to be released. They were either works in progress, scratch vocals or just deemed not up to snuff. So that's why I appreciate that we get to hear these, whether or not we like an individual song. STG was kept in the can for a point and so it's kinda pointless to gut and torpedo a song because it doesn't suit your ears. It was something HDH tried. Nobody is gonna hit it out of the park every single time.

    That's why I like what you said; "it's pretty evident why these were kept in the can), but it's always nice to have these treasures in an official collection like this." That's how I feel. Sure, there are songs that maybe someone doesn't like but I like having the choice of hearing it anyway and gaining yet more insight into how Motown operated.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.