[REMOVE ADS]

Up The Ladder...

I just watched the clip from Ed Sullivan thats posted on on the Ed Sullivan channel and the version on there sounds so much better...you can really hear the strings and its beautiful....does anyone know if there is a version on cd like this?

Here is the clip.

'Up The Ladder To The Roof'. It's 50 years old this year and is timeless. Jean brought a new sound to the Supremes with her distinctive soulful voice. When she left so did I as they slowly drifted into oblivion!

The audio of the Ed Sullivan performance is downloadable at Amazon or may be also heard here:

Up The Ladder was my fav Supremes single for over 25 years....I played my orig 45 to death, got another brand new copy, and still played my first one. I loved the way it wore. I finally got a bit tired of UTL in the late 90's....too many other versions, boredom. It is still in my top 10...but my #1 is now Someday or Reflections.
    I was so glad the 70's Rare Classics CD used the loud single versions....many times the single cuts pressed on the LPS [[from 69-73) sounded folded down and very compressed. I hated the way Ladder sounded on Right On [[even the CD) and I always liked the single versions of Stoned Love River Deep and Nathan Jones better as well.

Gman are you saying that the version on Rare Classics is the version they are lip syncing to on Ed Sullivan?.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Up The Ladder was my fav Supremes single for over 25 years....I played my orig 45 to death, got another brand new copy, and still played my first one. I loved the way it wore. I finally got a bit tired of UTL in the late 90's....too many other versions, boredom. It is still in my top 10...but my #1 is now Someday or Reflections.
    I was so glad the 70's Rare Classics CD used the loud single versions....many times the single cuts pressed on the LPS [[from 69-73) sounded folded down and very compressed. I hated the way Ladder sounded on Right On [[even the CD) and I always liked the single versions of Stoned Love River Deep and Nathan Jones better as well.
    i so agree with you - my original 45, played to death, still sounds great, even though I have two others. I adore the full sound of the JMC 45s [[except touch) as well as the DR&TS singles from ‘68 & ‘69.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    Gman are you saying that the version on Rare Classics is the version they are lip syncing to on Ed Sullivan?.
    No, it’s not the 45 on Ed Sullivan. They usually did special mixes for adult oriented TV shows.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Here is the clip.

'Up The Ladder To The Roof'. It's 50 years old this year and is timeless. Jean brought a new sound to the Supremes with her distinctive soulful voice. When she left so did I as they slowly drifted into oblivion!

Up The Ladder was the first 45 I ever bought. While, I love Jean's voice I now find her stage presence lacking as your eye constantly wanders to Mary and Cindy, who are both far more charismatic than Jean. When Cindy left the first time, I was less enamored with the group but still followed them. I found the new groups with Scherrie very exciting. I had a lot of hope. I just think Motown could care less about them and with Pedro as manager and without Motown's backing they were drifting more due to that than losing Jean's voice. Really, for the disco era they had the right lead singer and they sounded fresh and dynamic. I just don't think people could really warm up to Jean because she had a reserved onstage personality and less charisma than her singing partners.

i've had wonderful luck over the years using a platform called KeepYou to download items from Youtube. you can do audio downloads or video.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    The audio of the Ed Sullivan performance is downloadable at Amazon or may be also heard here:

That really is a great listen. What an uplifting song . The word I would use to most describe UTLTTR : glorious.

btw,
    Does anyone else hear a similarity to it in this song by the Three Degrees ??

when I listen , I keep half expecting any minute they'll go into the line ....up the ladder to the roof ....

Jean looks absolutely beautiful during this performance. I don't care for most of the choreography Mary and Cindy are doing. They should've kept it a bit more simple. But this is definitely a good way to introduce the new grouping to the public. No wonder the initial support was so strong from the public. Motown would drop the ball. I see so many positive things here where the ladies could've maintained their supreme position in the world of music.

Yes the whole choreography is a bit weird. I can't dance for my life but being the top female group at the time and their first performance with new lead singer Jean you would have thought they had some better moves. Having sometimes a dirty mind the girls put me off completely at one point moving backwards and forwards with their hand and hips. Makes me laugh every time I see this clip. Who ever came up with them moves.

I do disagree with Jean being less charismatic. She shines in this clip and looks proud.

the dosi-do step choreography they did in this and Stoned Love on Tom Jones is laughable...the rest is great. There certainly was no doubt the new girl was not a Diana student...we got something fresh, someone wonderful... and I enjoyed having Jean providing her own "a bit more conservative", new and unfamiliar, so, at the time unpredictable brand of excitement.

hahaha i've had friends laugh at this Ladder clip too about the hip thrusts

there's a short vid clips without audio often floating around YouTube. later during the JMC years. they're doing their Greatest Hits medley which would typically end with Ladder. the stage is "in the round" and they're in the white pantsuits.

anyway, the choreography is MUCH better there. doing the Ladder movements with one hand. made it look much more elegant.

i too have said that Jean lacked a bit of fire in the video clips we've seen of the group. of course this is just a tiny fraction of their tv and stage performances so maybe we're not seeing her as strongly as she actually was. or maybe she was better on stage than on tv.

I think what might have helped would have been to give her a bit more freedom on stage with the hand mic. during the Diana [[as especially DRATS years) it was too much - a soloist with 2 background girls standing WAAAAAAAYYYYYY behind. but with MJC sometimes the group choreography was too much. the lead singer wasn't as identifiable.

so maybe sort of combine the two approaches and take the best of both.

and yes!!! the Tom Jones Stoned Love choreography was mostly insane. far too much and poorly designed. the revised choreography MJL did on Mike Douglas was excellent but again, Jean could have used a hand mic and walked about a bit more. like she did on Soul Train Stoned Love

It's the clip on Youtube where they sing All I want [[not live but just added because the footage has no audio). Posted by Motownjim37. Wonder if the whole show was recorded or if it was just a small portion. Wouldn't it be great to see and hear the whole show!!! The Soul Train performance was great. I do like when Jean walks into the audience at the end of Stoned Love. I also like her performance of Bad weather more than the actual released version.