[REMOVE ADS]

I Get A Kick Out Of You

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    I don’t remember ever seeing this before. Much planning and rehearsal went into the Sullivan performances.

When I got on Youtube last night that was in my "suggested videos" and I'm glad it was. It was one I hadn't seen before.....For those more in the know than myself, was this performance in the same show they did "Love Child"? Diana's hair is obviously the same as in the "LC" performance, so that was my assumption last evening.
    Darin

If you go to the Ed Sullivan YouTube site, you'll see that the date matches this performance of Love Child [[the one with Mary & Cindy singing background vocals):

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    When I got on Youtube last night that was in my "suggested videos" and I'm glad it was. It was one I hadn't seen before.....For those more in the know than myself, was this performance in the same show they did "Love Child"? Diana's hair is obviously the same as in the "LC" performance, so that was my assumption last evening.
    Darin
    They did LOVE CHILD as well as I'M LIVIN' IN SHAME during this appearance.

Notice how at 2:03 in "I Get A Kick Out Of You" Diana trips over her own feet, regains her balance quickly and re-adjusts her top hat without skipping a beat, making it all appear so effortlessly. That's definitely one mark of a seasoned show-woman and speaks to the excellent training Motown artists received.

Thanks for the confirmations.

Obviously not sung live and recorded just for the Ed Sullivan Show. Which begs the question... where are all these lip synched performances done especially for variety shows? Does the show own the rights or does Motown? Wouldn't it be great to get these on CD? Okay, so it begged a few questions....

The vocal currently is available digitally on Amazon, Spotify and probably other digital music sites.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Obviously not sung live and recorded just for the Ed Sullivan Show. Which begs the question... where are all these lip synched performances done especially for variety shows? Does the show own the rights or does Motown? Wouldn't it be great to get these on CD? Okay, so it begged a few questions....
    i'd guess the show owns these performances, both vocal and visual. Now when the girls lip synced to a record [[like they did for LC or Sign), obviously motown still owns the copywrite to the music. but for a pre-recorded vocal performance like this where all 3 are lip syncing or You Can't Hurry Love where Diana is live but the rest is a backing track, the production company that now owns the Sullivan library would own that

Nice to finally see a clear [[both audible and picture) copy of this performance. I have to say Mary really was great with the choreography. She did it so effortlessly and natural. While often for Diana and especially Flo, it always seemed like they were thinking in their heads what the next step in the choreography was. Cindy was great with it too, but Mary was the best out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    Darin
    The whole Supremes' TVgraphy [[1960s) is on the website :

http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/

with tons of pictures and links to videos. All chronologically ordered and with many obscure and rare tv shows. It should answer your questions [[as did Reese) :-)

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Nice to finally see a clear [[both audible and picture) copy of this performance. I have to say Mary really was great with the choreography. She did it so effortlessly and natural. While often for Diana and especially Flo, it always seemed like they were thinking in their heads what the next step in the choreography was. Cindy was great with it too, but Mary was the best out of them.
    agreed! i think in just about every 60s clip Mary is just flawless. Diana was pretty good but i always thought that she was so used to being out front that she didn't quite have the precision of the group choreography. Flo always was just a bit off lol. Cindy was better than Flo at it but she too, during the 60s, always seemed just a bit hesitant

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    agreed! i think in just about every 60s clip Mary is just flawless. Diana was pretty good but i always thought that she was so used to being out front that she didn't quite have the precision of the group choreography. Flo always was just a bit off lol. Cindy was better than Flo at it but she too, during the 60s, always seemed just a bit hesitant
    I always wonder if they kicked up the choreography a notch after Florence left because they knew they could with Cindy being a better dancer. I honestly can't even imagine the original line up doing half of the performances that they did with Cindy. The Millie/Rose/Mame Sullivan performance had Flo botching it up quite a bit.

it think it was more than just choreography that they were wanting to amp up. everything was going to a higher level - bigger clubs, more ambitious stage act and tv performances, the tv specials, the duets, Tarzan, bigger wigs and gowns, more international tours, etc.

IMO part of the problem with Flo was her lack of dependability. during the DMF years, the girls were working very hard. they worked even harder during the DMC years. they needed 3 women that would be there any time they were needed. Sure in retrospect M and C ended up not being used for studio work but they were still everywhere with the groups public appearances, shows, concerts, tv appearances, etc.

skipping studio dates and interviews was bad. missing those dates in early 67 was disastrous for Flo. and coming on stage drunk was the final straw

Cindy also sometimes flubbed choreography. or at least was a bit hesitant. but she was 100% dependable

it think it was more than just choreography that they were wanting to amp up. everything was going to a higher level - bigger clubs, more ambitious stage act and tv performances, the tv specials, the duets, Tarzan, bigger wigs and gowns, more international tours, etc.

IMO part of the problem with Flo was her lack of dependability. during the DMF years, the girls were working very hard. they worked even harder during the DMC years. they needed 3 women that would be there any time they were needed. Sure in retrospect M and C ended up not being used for studio work but they were still everywhere with the groups public appearances, shows, concerts, tv appearances, etc.

skipping studio dates and interviews was bad. missing those dates in early 67 was disastrous for Flo. and coming on stage drunk was the final straw

Cindy also sometimes flubbed choreography. or at least was a bit hesitant. but she was 100% dependable
    Its sad that Florence had so many personal issues going on at the time.
    I really love this performance of “I Get A Kick”. The girls sound terrific singing in unison, and i’m assuming there were no Andantes lol. Diana’s trip makes it all the more endearing. Mary was always the best dancer. She never missed a beat.
    Judging by Flo’s awkward performance in the MR&M routine of 67, i think she would have struggled with the more intricate routines of later years.

Flo did do a great job with the intricate choreography for Back in Arms on Hullabaloo. I know it's intricate cuz i've tried to do it!!! lolol and she was in sync when they did Rock A Bye on Skelton. But yeah - she def flubbed some of the MRM medley.

Flo did do a great job with the intricate choreography for Back in Arms on Hullabaloo. I know it's intricate cuz i've tried to do it!!! lolol
    Who hasn't LOL. Now I’m stuck with the image of what I think you like trying out those moves.

Flo did do a great job with the intricate choreography for Back in Arms on Hullabaloo. I know it's intricate cuz i've tried to do it!!! lolol and she was in sync when they did Rock A Bye on Skelton. But yeah - she def flubbed some of the MRM medley.

I still can't quite get the moves on BACK IN MY ARMS AGAIN.

But if you look closely on the ROCK-A-BYE performance, right when they go into the dancing interlude at 1:26, Flo loses her place and you can see her look towards Mary and Diana. She recovers quickly but it is noticeable. Granted, I don't know how noticeable it was to the viewing audience who only saw it once. As opposed to us diehards who have now watched these clips over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I still can't quite get the moves on BACK IN MY ARMS AGAIN.

But if you look closely on the ROCK-A-BYE performance, right when they go into the dancing interlude at 1:26, Flo loses her place and you can see her look towards Mary and Diana. She recovers quickly but it is noticeable. Granted, I don't know how noticeable it was to the viewing audience who only saw it once. As opposed to us diehards who have now watched these clips over and over.
    You might not notice it on first viewing. Second and third you do. Flo had the voice, but not always the footwork....alas. In some ways it makes her all the the endearing.
    I think the intricacy of a Fats Waller tribute routine would have proved a very large hurdle for her indeed.

Mary even wrote in her book that Flo and choreography wasn't a good mix. And Kat Anderson flat out said Flo couldn't dance. IMO that's the one advantage the Supremes had with Cindy over Florence. Everything became more graceful and sophisticated. They really look like seasoned pros. Maybe Flo would've surprised everyone and excelled at it, but I suspect that none of the elaborately choreographed performances would've looked as good had she remained with the group.

I think all the talk about Flo not being a good dancer is way over blown. No one was looking at the Supreme’s choreography, or anyone’s like that, back then. We are now looking back in hindsight through the Michael Jackson/Janet Jackson/Ciara/Beyonce lens. It’s not fair to Flo. Of course there is nothing wrong with stating the obvious, but to much emphasis is put on this.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    No one was looking at the Supreme’s choreography, or anyone’s like that, back then. We are now looking back in hindsight through the Michael Jackson/Janet Jackson/Ciara/Beyonce lens. Of course there is nothing wrong with stating the obvious, but to much emphasis is put on this.
    In the Sixties, I watched the Supremes on television, certainly enjoying their beauty and glamor, and really loving their singing, especially by the charismatic lead singer [[I didn't use that word then).

My young friends and I didn't really notice any pop act's dancing abilities, with the exception of the Temptations.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Mary even wrote in her book that Flo and choreography wasn't a good mix. And Kat Anderson flat out said Flo couldn't dance. IMO that's the one advantage the Supremes had with Cindy over Florence. Everything became more graceful and sophisticated. They really look like seasoned pros. Maybe Flo would've surprised everyone and excelled at it, but I suspect that none of the elaborately choreographed performances would've looked as good had she remained with the group.
    Agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I think all the talk about Flo not being a good dancer is way over blown. No one was looking at the Supreme’s choreography, or anyone’s like that, back then. We are now looking back in hindsight through the Michael Jackson/Janet Jackson/Ciara/Beyonce lens. It’s not fair to Flo. Of course there is nothing wrong with stating the obvious, but to much emphasis is put on this.
    The Supremes rarely did any intricate choreography when Florence was in the group. For the most part she comes across as well as her group mates, although there are definitely times when you can tell she's the one member of the group who isn't as fancy with her feet as the other two. When Flo was in the group, they never did anything half as complicated as the Fats Waller Medley or "I Get A Kick Out Of You" and if she could find it difficult to grasp some of what she had to do when she was in the group, I don't think it's out of bounds to suspect that she would've had an even more difficult time with what DRATS eventually ended up doing. Again, in the words of Kat Anderson: "That girl couldn't dance". DRATS was a slicker, more sophisticated version of the Supremes. Cindy helped that image, just like Flo was a big part of the Supremes being the dream girls next door.