[REMOVE ADS]

Who Was Your Favorite Stax Artist

Hi this is Kev-Lo

Like Motown And Philly International Stax had many great artists during the 60's and into the early 70's. So Who was your Favorite Stax Artist.

For me it was Otis Redding And Rufus Thomas

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  21.1 KB
    1. Sam & Dave
    2. William Bell
    3. Albert King
    4. Eddie Floyd
    5. Astors
    6. Emotions
    7. Carla Thomas
    8. J.J. Barnes
    9. Mad Lads
    10. Dramatics
    Last edited by robb_k; 08-15-2010 at 04:29 PM.

I have almost no favorite anythings. I will say I really loved:
    Isaac Hayes
    The Emotions
    The MadLads
    The Barkays
    Rufus and Carla Thomas, together or apart
    William Bell
    Booker T & The MGs
    and Otis

The Dramatics ... by far, and everyone else is a distant second.

Loads & loads of their artists ...........
    .... but the Emotions stuff on Volt was mega-great.

Jeez, these artists for the most part caused me to spend mucho dollars on 45's......

Dramatics
    Sam & Dave
    Issac Hayes
    David Porter
    Emotions
    Booker T & MG's
    Albert King
    Staple Singers
    Carla Thomas
    Rufus Thomas

Now how the hell did I forget The Dramatics! Now that I think about there are probably a bunch of others I'm
    forgetting because I really dug the mess outta that Stax sound. Case in point:

The Soul Children....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDAsb1rGwVM

Johnny Taylor and the Staple Singers

Sam & Dave weren't really Stax artists. They were signed to Atlantic the whole time. So, they're out. So, I would have to say The Dramatics, then Staple Singers.

Daggommit! I forgot about Bar-Kays and Booker T & The M.G.s!
    Last edited by soulster; 08-15-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Many, many great artists. For me Carla Thomas first, and the Emotions second.

Very hard call for me...I've always been more of a Stax fanatic than a Motown fanatic. I'll just mention some folks that I enjoy from the Stax oeuvre...

Otis Redding
    William Bell [[whom I had the pleasure of meeting in person at the Rock Hall)
    Mable John [[same as above)
    The Mad Lads
    Booker T & the M.G.'s
    Ruby Johnson
    Eddie Floyd
    The Staple Singers
    The Dramatics
    Shirley Brown
    Johnnie Taylor

Again, that's the tip of the iceberg...

Best,

Mark

Views: 697
    Why are Sam and Dave out, just because they were signed to Atlantic? All their recordings during their Stax period were recorded in Memphis, using Stax's musicians, and were produced by Stax producers and written by Stax writers. We should be able to list not only Sam and Dave, but also Homer Banks [[despite his recording for Minit Records). Maybe even Wilson Pickett should be considered for his Stax-produced period.

Would you Count Marv Johnson as being not a "Motown artist" during mid 1959-1963 [[when all his cuts were recorded in The Snakepit at Motown, and produced by Motown producers and written by Motown writers, just because his record sales contract was held by United Artists Records? He was still included in "Motown Tours".

Your criterion in this case is "correct technically", but I don't agree that it makes sense, or matches the purpose of your proposed lists.

Ollie & The Nightingales : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWChL...eature=related

If you can check Ollie's first solo LP [[Pride), with this great version of "I'm in love" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUA-r...eature=related

Name:  stax.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  11.3 KBRobb you said it better than I could. I wasn't going to respond , primarily because it wasn't that important. But my memory rarely fails me and in the spirit of the thread, I was simply thinking of the "Stax" label. I mentioned 45's because at that time that was all I could afford. I took care of them like baseball cards and the labels were certainly indicative of who the artist recorded for. At that age I could have cared less who was signed to what and why, it was the music that mattered and that hasn't changed to this day. I remembered those light blue labels and simply responded. Like Jimi Hendrix said "Who Knows...?????"

No favorite but i like Barbara & The Browns, William Bell, Prince Conley, Rufus Thomas, Carla Thomas, The old and new Bar Kays, Booker T & The MG'S, Mar Keys, David Porter, Isaac Hayes, Sam & Dave, Albert King, Johnny Taylor, Wendy Rene, The Soul Children, Jimmy Hughes, The Emotions.

The Emotions
    Sam & Dave
    Isaac Hayes
    Soul Children

I just get technical.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I just get technical.
    I'm sure 1200 Active SDF Members could think of another word....but in case the kiddies are watching...we're stick with "technical for now"........sorry, too temptin.

Ollie,

I can't wait to tell my friend and former boss that somebody else is a big Barbara and the Browns fan.

At one point for me it would've been Sam and Dave, then later the Dramatics, then Isaac....with several aforementioned artists sprinkled about.......but in the end........it's Otis.
    Last edited by destruction; 08-16-2010 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by destruction View Post
    I'm sure 1200 Active SDF Members could think of another word....but in case the kiddies are watching...we're stick with "technical for now"........sorry, too temptin.

Ollie,

I can't wait to tell my friend and former boss that somebody else is a big Barbara and the Browns fan.

At one point for me it would've been Sam and Dave, then later the Dramatics, then Isaac....with several aforementioned artists sprinkled about.......but in the end........it's Otis.
    Yes please do so Des, It's In My Heart & I Don't Want To Have To Wait are my favorites. It's In My Heart was the first song that i could play along with my sax.

Wow stax was loaded but my heart belonged to the sweet sexy miss carla thomas....b-a-b-y-baby!!!

...am I allowed ...Barbara Lewis?

Overall - OTIS REDDING - KING OF SOUL. After him, I have to shout JOE TEX who was Atlantic records.

Then Sam and Dave, Eddie Floyd, Booker M- MG's, Mad Lads, Johnny Taylor later on The DRAMATICS...

RUFUS "AIN'T I'M CLEAN" THOMAS....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by destruction View Post

What? Asshole? No, my mind just works differently than most people. I just don't consider S & D a Stax duo. deal with it.

Otis Redding is not only my favorite Stax artist...but I'll add that Otis was the heart & soul of the entire Stax operation. He was certainly the most influential artist, producer, and songwriter of the early Stax days, but his untimely death forsaw the ultimate demise of the company.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Otis Redding is not only my favorite Stax artist...but I'll add that Otis was the heart & soul of the entire Stax operation. He was certainly the most influential artist, producer, and songwriter of the early Stax days, but his untimely death forsaw the ultimate demise of the company.
    I would disagree with that, Stub. I think Issac Hayes was the more influential artist, producer, and songwriter, not only in it's prime years, but in the 70s, too.

True Soulster...Isaac Hayes was quite influential in the Stax-Volt operation, largely due to his association with David Porter...It was still Otis who charted 17 straight recordings, almost unheard of in those days, and also wrote most of his own hits, also quite uncommon at that time. Also, Stax departure from Atlantic happened at just the same time as Otis fateful plane crash, and after that, the label struggled and never returned to the glory it enjoyed during Otis' reign. Id also add that from the many interviews I've seen with Various Stax musicians and producers like Booker T and Steve Cropper...they all seem to point to Otis as the inspiration behind Stax success. Isaac, besides being a terrific guy and musician was also very important in the Stax heirarchy.

Also...not to forget that Otis was largely responsible for putting the Stax imprint throughout Europe with his live performances and recordings...as well as expanding Stax popularity and growth here in the U.S. with his groundbreaking performance at the Monterey Pop Festival, introducing the Memphis sound to millions who had been largely unaware of the southern Soul music sound.

Views: 582
    I forgot to list Booker T. & The MGs and didn't list Otis Redding because others already had. But, of course, I liked them a lot, too. It would be hard to choose only one favourite.

I have the three Stax box sets. They're a great reminder of the MANY talented artists who recorded for Stax. The Dramatics early hits for Stax/Volt are among my very favorite recordings ever. Barbara Lewis' album and couple of singles for Stax/Enterprise are highly enjoyable. I also love all of the Soul Children's singles on Stax. And Otis, the King.

Hot Sauce had some great singles on Volt.

Otis Redding

Carla Thomas
    Rufus Thomas
    Eddie Floyd
    Sam & Dave [it mlght be technlcally correct to exclude them, but it's just not falr]

Quote Originally Posted by solemannking View Post
    RUFUS "AIN'T I'M CLEAN" THOMAS....LOL

You would Solemann...lol...

Quote Originally Posted by solemannking View Post
    Dont you start this mess...!!!

What I Dooooooooooooooo Ladyvanaye?....HAHAHAHA LOL

Rufus is the man...and He should be on my list...but *WHY* do I know you are scheming up a new gig, Solemann?? LOL....

I'd have to say Sam and Dave.