[REMOVE ADS]

Stephen Daws RIP

Sorry to report the sad news that Stephen Daws a forum member, Motown fan and collector, has recently passed away.
    Many on SD will know Stephen I'm sure.
    I think he used the forum name Lester.

May he Rest In Peace.

Sad news. Condolences to his family.

Paul's just told me and I am stunned. I didn't even know he was ill. Every Motown event that I attended in London, I would see Stephen and like me, he would always be early. We'd be scurrying around looking for a place to park. Thank you for sharing Larry and I believe you knew his family well. Please pass on my condolences to them.

Snakepit

Thanks for the information. It's very sad news about Stephen. As John Lester commented, I didn't know he was ill. I haven't seen him for a few years, but he was always so full of knowledge about Motown, and willing to share it. He will be sadly missed.

I was shocked to see the sad news about Stephen [I can confirm he used the forum name, Lester].

We had spoken on the phone at the beginning of the year as we had not met up for ages and we were long overdue for one of our irregular meetings at his house to play rare and unreleased Motown. The lockdown thwarted our plans for that.

When I returned to London about ten years ago after breaking my hip, it was Stephen who helped to make the improvements I needed in my flat and he also put up the shelving for me to store my record collection.

Stephen would let me know when former Motown artists were visiting the UK and help me get to meet them. He had first met many of them through going to the USA to help Ian Levine with the Motorcity project.

RIP Stephen

I first met Stephen when selling my Motown collection late 74 or early 75. We met in Manchester after several letters and he was returning frim his honeymoon with new wife Drew. [[ Blackpool I seem to think it was).
    I visited them for a very enjoyable weekend at their Nottingham home.
    Over the years we kept in touch , swapping CDs, but it became on a less frequent basis.
    Years later He got in touch and visited me in Manchester with partner Nigel...he had moved to East London by then.
    We kept in touch and exchanged Christmas Cards and some CDrs [[ he was a keen collector of 70s Motown and kept me in touch at times). And tales of Mr Levine's projects.
    Through that [[ he visited Detroit with the DJ) he had a number of Motown contacts. He very kindly passed on phone numbers which helped me on my Detroit trip). He kindly took my Sharon Davis book with him, obtaining a lot of autographs from the Motorcity artisits.
    It's very sad to hear this news and I am thinking of him and his friends andfamily.