[REMOVE ADS]

Remember when .... Motown Fired The Four Tops ?

Nice article

Too bad that Berry did not keep Detroit open, should have allowed HDH to run the production out of Detroit, could have continue to make some great music, .

Very interesting

That’s BS! The Tops left on their own free will because their contracts had expired! And while they were still doing relatively well at the time, they weren’t getting the same first class treatment they’d received in the 60s. They also didn’t want to move to LA.

Agree
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good [[negative) story.

What a great read, thanks for posting. I love historical pieces like this, it helps to paint a picture. I seem to recall hearing that the Four Tops were not given a new contract and hence the move from Motown. But is it really a coincident that The Four Tops, Marvelettes, and Martha & The Vandellas all essentially "left" Motown at the same time. GK & The Pips as well, but I don't think they were pushed. This was just the beginning. The Jackson 5 left in 75, The Miracles and Temptations left in 76, David Ruffin left in 77, as did the Supremes. Eddie Kendrick and Jr Walker both left in 78. D Ross 81, M Gaye 82. One by one they were all gone.

The Tops WERE offered a contract renewal, at a low price. They were already shopping for a new label and ABC offered them a contract significantly more lucrative and they took it. I spoke to Levi in the mid 90s when they were appearing in Biloxi, they loved their Frank Wilson lps but felt Motown was not promoting them. They were especially disappointed in the lackluster sales of the Supremes duets. So they left.