[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Extended - an album discussion

ok - here's a rather obscure one. one that rarely, if ever, pops up in our fan discussions

released in spring of 1994, i've sort of viewed it as an extension of all the material surrounding Forever. She did the big box set, it was her [[roughly) 30th anniversary. Then there was the One Woman single disc set. They all shared similar album art and appeared to be part of a cohesive effort

that said, even then i never liked the songs. Someday was the best IMO. I found the club beats far to repetitive - the bass didn't even shift with key changes so it would be out of tune some times. I thought the remix of The Boss sucked all of the passion and gospel glory out of the original. Upside Down wasn't too bad.

thoughts?

This album was great. These were real mixes. This was real club, house music. Diana got the top DJ’s/ remixers to work their magic on this project. From what I remember, the only mixes I didn’t like were “Chain Reaction” and “You’re gonna love it”. This remix album was top notch. “The Boss, “I’m coming out”, and the surprise remix of “Someday we’ll be together” were absolutely fantastic.

I'm not a fan of remixes in general so this album gets little play from me That said, I really love the remix on SOMEDAY. It is the only reason that I will occasionally play this album.

i think part of the problem is that i'm not a fan of early 90s dance music. i much prefer the disco era and the late 90s/early 00s. So that might be part of my problem with this set

i like remixes but again, if they do something right with it. someday was a great re-envisioning of the song. And i don't mind using a minor key on The Boss and making it dark. it was the execution that fell fall for me

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    This album was great. These were real mixes. This was real club, house music. Diana got the top DJ’s/ remixers to work their magic on this project. From what I remember, the only mixes I didn’t like were “Chain Reaction” and “You’re gonna love it”. This remix album was top notch. “The Boss, “I’m coming out”, and the surprise remix of “Someday we’ll be together” were absolutely fantastic.
    Spot-on assessment all around. This project was the rage of the NYC-metro club set at the time, and as a Rosshead, it was thrilling for me. I appreciate these mixes a lot more than the Supertronic ones. [[And, incidentally, the "Someday" remix popped up on my shuffle today!)

A solid and creative remix album with Diana looking particularly alluring on the cover. I have always been a sucker for that slow, wailing intro used for The Boss.
    Released after the UK multi platinum One Woman collection, it was certainly a great time to be a Diana Ross fan.
    The pedestrian and uninspiring Super Tonic remixes are almost an embarrassment in comparison.

there was a LOT of different versions and mixes of the songs here. Anyone have any favs or comparisons?

If she had used the cover photo, or something similar, TMH would have been a better selling album.

Worst Ross album ever, sans "Someday". I bought the cassette tape when it came out and played it once.

I’m on the fence with this one. It’s not bad but not necessary to her catalog either. It also fell victim to being just extra product. There hadn’t been such a big glut of releases since her first four titles in 70-71. I get EMI was successful where Motown wasn’t in this period by keeping her aloft the UK charts but this was one of four Ross titles to hit the shelves in one year. I bought them all to be supportive but it took me years to get into the Stolen Moments set where the Lady Sings versions were pretty immediate clicks for me. The Diana Extended set wound up for me like Mary posted above - bought and spun once then basically forgotten since Someday wound up on the US version of One Woman. Maybe if they had done some deep cuts and reinvented them - like a club version of And If You See Him for example- it would’ve helped. Otherwise, it should’ve just been the box set and One Woman as the sampler version with Someday as its single to avoid the release log jam that occurred.

I think EMI were striking while the iron was still hot. In hindsight, a late summer 94 release with a single to promote it might have served the album better but who knows.
    I remember seeing huge advertising posters for the album everywhere. It’s chart position was a little disappointing after the huge success of FBTP and One Woman.

I'm not a big fan of the Diana Extended album [[including the cover), but I love some of the remixes that came out on CD singles back then. My favorite, Love Hangover [[Joey Negro Hangover Symphony).

Name:  Diana Ross Love Hangover.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  65.0 KB

Interestingly, he used the very same remix [[including the original Ross instrumentation) for the version he released with Pauline Henry the year after.

I have to dig through my collection but believe I have this one:
    Name:  R-396606-1503887232-3214.jpeg.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  83.9 KBName:  R-396606-1503887231-9371.jpeg.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  78.4 KB

For the people not crazy about this release, are you fans of deep house music?