[REMOVE ADS]

Bettye LaVette's Blackbirds

Hi!

Bettye talks about her new CD -

https://www.soulexpress.net/deep4_2020.htm

There's also an interview with Don Bryant and a couple of great retrospect compilations.

Best regards
    Heikki

I decided to ask my question here as opposed to starting a new thread. It is about the length of time we can expect to see CDs continue to be released.

As you guys know from a number of my posts, I love the format and would like to see it continue forever. But all indications are that it will die out soon, and there is no better clue than to look at car manufacturers and how scarce CD players are getting in newer models.

Anyway, my question is prompted by the news about some that are still forthcoming. For example, we know that this Bettye release was delayed because of the pandemic. Also blues singer Shemekia Copeland has a new one coming out in October and we recently discussed Dame Shirley's November release. A blues group I like [[Mississippi Heat) says on their website that a certain March gig will be their "release party" for their new CD, leading me to think we could still have them coming out into next year.

On the pop front, Katy Perry just released one and I had read some time ago that Adele plans to have a new one out by the end of the year. So what do we think.......has the pandemic perhaps delayed the demise of the CD format or are there other factors at play?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    So what do we think.......has the pandemic perhaps delayed the demise of the CD format or are there other factors at play?
    I think we will always have CD's until they stop being profitable. Right now, it seems they're still profitable, as most labels and artists are still releasing them. The only big artist I've noticed lately, who has not released a new album in a physical format, is Beyonce, with her Lion King album called "The Gift". In her case, I think that has more to do with her and her husband's ownership of the streaming service, "Tidal", as they would understandably want to promote their own business interests.

Bettye's new album is out today and it's fantastic. No surprise there! Her delivery of the material is top-notch, as always. I only wish that the record label would have maybe went with a better album cover, but that's just my own personal taste. I'd rather have seen a photo of her on the cover than the artistic portrait that was used. But hey, it's still better than the album covers for "Scene of the Crime" and "Tell Me A Lie". Planning to buy the CD and LP, since I've always bought both formats for all of her albums. Gotta keep the collection complete!

Also, in response to the first post...nice interview! I didn't realize that "One More Song" was a relatively recent track, in comparison to all of the other songs on this project, which are classics. It was funny to read that she and the A&R Director both felt that "One More Song" didn't fit the theme of the album, but I honestly didn't know any different, until I read about it in her interview She delivers an amazing performance on that track.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I think we will always have CD's until they stop being profitable. Right now, it seems they're still profitable, as most labels and artists are still releasing them. The only big artist I've noticed lately, who has not released a new album in a physical format, is Beyonce, with her Lion King album called "The Gift". In her case, I think that has more to do with her and her husband's ownership of the streaming service, "Tidal", as they would understandably want to promote their own business interests.

Bettye's new album is out today and it's fantastic. No surprise there! Her delivery of the material is top-notch, as always. I only wish that the record label would have maybe went with a better album cover, but that's just my own personal taste. I'd rather have seen a photo of her on the cover than the artistic portrait that was used. But hey, it's still better than the album covers for "Scene of the Crime" and "Tell Me A Lie". Planning to buy the CD and LP, since I've always bought both formats for all of her albums. Gotta keep the collection complete!
    Good to know, Carlo. I will be buying the CD of "Blackbirds." I love Bettye and I buy all of Bettye's CDs although I don't listen to them often. I much prefer seeing her perform. She is an incredible performer with so much heart, wit and sass.

However, just listening to her recordings is hard. Her voice is a "cry" -- the sound of someone deeply wounded -- and just hearing it without seeing her makes me feel so sad. It is bizarre because I cannot connect what I am hearing to the funny, sometimes ebullient woman I see onstage.

I am glad she is still around to collect some of the flowers she was long-denied.