[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Compact Command Performances CDs

Some of the Compact Command Performances CDs were among the first Motown CDs made.

Name:  Motown-Compact-Command-Perf.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  19.5 KB

Just wondering, do you have every one of these in your collection? If you do, you are a lucky lucky person. I may have a handful of them, but nowhere complete. Interesting posting. Thanks.

Yes I do have at least one of each title, but don't forget that many of them have been released more than once - originally all in the US 6000 series and most in the European BMG ZD series. Several then got released in the lower priced 9000 series US and WD in Europe. Plus a handful made it out as Polygram releases in the 31453 [[530) run.

I so want the Martin Luther King one...I was in a record shop when it was released picked it up then put it back because I wanted something else....oh how I wish.

It would be nice to have a Motown trading/wants forum so we could swap cds etc.

I will never forget after having purchased the Temptations Compact Command Performances and finding out that "Hey Girl" was the wrong song. It should have been the Richard Street led song, but what was on the cd was the Paul Williams led cover of the Freddy Scott song. If you read the credits on the booklet you will see further evidence of the mistake.

Both Hey Girls by the Tempts are damn good

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Both Hey Girls by the Tempts are damn good
    Yes, they are.

Compact Command Performances Mastered by John Matousek

Here are the rather inconsistent mastering credits taken from the versions that I own:

Commodores - 'Compiled by John Matousek'
    Duane Eddy - 'Compiled and mastered by John Matousek'
    Four Tops - 'Digitally compiled by John Matousek'
    Marvin Gaye Volume 1 - 'Compiled by John Matousek'
    Marvin Gaye Volume 2 - 'Compiled by Bob Robitaille and Russ Terrana'
    Al Green - 'Digitally compiled by John Matousek'
    Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5 - 'Compiled by John Matousek'
    Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. - 'Compiled and mastered by Russ Terrana'
    Gladys Knight and the Pips - 'Digitally compiled by John Matousek'
    Little Richard - 'Compiled and mastered by Ken Perry at K-Disc mastering & Pat Britt'
    Teena Marie - 'Compiled and mastered by John Matousek
    Marvelettes - 'Compiled and mastered by John Matousek'
    Jimmy Reed - 'Compiled and mastered by Ken Perry at K-Disc mastering & Pat Britt'
    Martha Reeves and the Vandellas - 'Compiled and mastered by John Matousek'
    Smokey Robinson and the Miracles Volume 1 - 'Compiled by John Matousek'
    Smokey Robinson and the Miracles Volume 2 - 'Compiled by Bob Robitaille and Russ Terrana'
    Diana Ross - 'Compiled by John Matousek'
    Diana Ross and the Supremes - 'Compiled by John Matousek'
    Temptations - 'Compiled and mastered by John Matousek'
    Jr. Walker and the All Stars - 'Compiled by Bob Robitaille and Russ Terrana'
    Grover Washington Jr. - 'Compiled and mastered by John Matousek'
    Mary Wells - 'Compiled and mastered by John Matousek'

As these were from the early days of CD mastering, you have to assume that 'compiled by or digitally compiled by' also means 'mastered by'. John [[The Man Who Mastered Motown) Matousek was kept busy! The most consistent credits go to Johnny Lee and Andy Engel for Art Direction and Design of all the Compact Command Performances CDs.

Hearing is very subjective, and people's hearing abilities also vary: some will grate at a bum note; others won't notice. Some struggle to distinguish between Tammi Terrell and Valerie Simpson and others can spot the difference immediately. How we play our music varies greatly too [[on vinyl records, compact discs or downloads) – using hi-fi equpment or ear buds, and every variety of speakers and headphones inbetween. Ultimately, we all find a level at which we like what we hear, even if it is different from someone else's preference. I'm not a huge audio buff, but I recognize that the uniformly 'warm', unadulterated sound that John Matousek achieved with his mastering on these Motown gems makes the music flow out of a good pair of speakers like you were right there in the studio. I am a major fan of John Matousek's work and original CDs mastered by him form a very large part of my Motown collection.

John Matousek planed a very important role in the early days of Motown. What has ever become of John? I have never read anything at all about his career at Motown. It would be great to learn something about him. Has anyone seen any write ups on him?

The Motown Compact Command Performances CD series is sonically superior to many of the compilations that were issued afterwards in the 90's, which unfortunately sacrificed much of the dynamic range on the original recordings, in exchange for increasing compression/loudness, which was and still is a frustrating music industry trend. Anyone who may be new to this concept can Google the "loudness wars".