[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

  2. #2
    Thanks for posting this. Wonderful to get these demo recordings. Minnie had a truly lovely voice and I could listen to her sing anything.

  3. #3
    I may get crucified for saying this but I guess we are all adults on here and are entitled to our opinions. Mine is that I have always loved female vocalists above any other style of music. That is why you will see me on here frequently talking about Dionne, Phyllis Hyman, Denise LaSalle, the thread I recently started about Dame Shirley, and I have many other favorites as well. My collection is probably 80-90% female singers and groups.

    However................Minnie Riperton is one singer that I will throw my body across the room at breakneck speed and hit the "off" button whenever that dreadful "Lovin' You" comes on the radio. She may have had other material that I might have tolerated but for my personal tastes, that song was so awful that I was never willing to give her a chance and listen to anything else she ever recorded.

    OK go ahead......let me have it!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I may get crucified for saying this but I guess we are all adults on here and are entitled to our opinions. Mine is that I have always loved female vocalists above any other style of music. That is why you will see me on here frequently talking about Dionne, Phyllis Hyman, Denise LaSalle, the thread I recently started about Dame Shirley, and I have many other favorites as well. My collection is probably 80-90% female singers and groups.

    However................Minnie Riperton is one singer that I will throw my body across the room at breakneck speed and hit the "off" button whenever that dreadful "Lovin' You" comes on the radio. She may have had other material that I might have tolerated but for my personal tastes, that song was so awful that I was never willing to give her a chance and listen to anything else she ever recorded.

    OK go ahead......let me have it!
    Not gonna let you have it---but my Lord, you are missing out on an exquisite marvel of a vocalist. I would recommend her first solo LP, Come to My Garden. It's a gem of an album, baroque, lush and consistently thrilling. Perfect rainy/snowy day soundtrack. Charles Stepney's rousing, offbeat symphonic arranging and Minnie's heavenly vocals make it like a Joni-Mitchell-meets-Earth-Wind-and-Fire magic carpet ride. And very little saccharine in the mix.

    And thanks so much for these tracks, waldo!
    Last edited by sansradio; 08-16-2020 at 07:24 PM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Not gonna let you have it---but my Lord, you are missing out on an exquisite marvel of a vocalist. I would recommend her first solo LP, Come to My Garden. It's a gem of an album, baroque, lush and consistently thrilling. Perfect rainy/snowy day soundtrack. Charles Stepney's rousing, offbeat symphonic arranging and Minnie's heavenly vocals make it like a Joni-Mitchell-meets-Earth-Wind-and-Fire magic carpet ride. And very little saccharine in the mix.

    And thanks so much for these tracks, waldo!
    Hear! Hear! Could not have said it better!

    Oh my...if you love female singers you have deprived yourself of a rare delicacy.

    The skyscraping grandeur of "Les Fleur." The unrivalled sensuality of "Inside My Love" and "Completeness." The heart-wrenching majesty of "Return To Forever." The silken perfection of "If I Ever Lose This Heaven." The high-drama of "Lonely Girl."

    She was a muse and creative inspiration for Stevie Wonder, Leon Ware and Charles Stephney.

    Do yourself a favor...

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Hear! Hear! Could not have said it better!

    Oh my...if you love female singers you have deprived yourself of a rare delicacy.

    The skyscraping grandeur of "Les Fleur." The unrivalled sensuality of "Inside My Love" and "Completeness." The heart-wrenching majesty of "Return To Forever." The silken perfection of "If I Ever Lose This Heaven." The high-drama of "Lonely Girl."

    She was a muse and creative inspiration for Stevie Wonder, Leon Ware and Charles Stephney.

    Do yourself a favor...
    Come on, somebody!!!!

  7. #7
    If I had been introduced to her in some other fashion other than having "that song" dominate the airwaves in the 70s, we might not be having this discussion. But it was such a turn-off for me that I just cannot imagine her sounding any other way. If it is any consolation, I have equally strong feelings about three other songs.........Hey Jude, American Pie, and the Blue Suede version of Hooked on a Feeling.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,814
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I may get crucified for saying this but I guess we are all adults on here and are entitled to our opinions. Mine is that I have always loved female vocalists above any other style of music. That is why you will see me on here frequently talking about Dionne, Phyllis Hyman, Denise LaSalle, the thread I recently started about Dame Shirley, and I have many other favorites as well. My collection is probably 80-90% female singers and groups.

    However................Minnie Riperton is one singer that I will throw my body across the room at breakneck speed and hit the "off" button whenever that dreadful "Lovin' You" comes on the radio. She may have had other material that I might have tolerated but for my personal tastes, that song was so awful that I was never willing to give her a chance and listen to anything else she ever recorded.

    OK go ahead......let me have it!
    Do yourself a favor and give her another listen. She's an American treasure.

  9. #9
    I have actually listened to one or two of the clips listed above and nothing grabbed me. Just too mellow and jazzy for me maybe?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.