[REMOVE ADS]

Geno Washington "Hand Clappin'/Tail Feather/Hipsters/Running Wild" 3CD Set-9/4/2020

The US soul man's four albums for Pye/Piccadilly Records, dating from 1966, 1967 and 1968, plus A and B sides, E.P. tracks and Geno's solo singles. Like Jimmy James & The Vagabonds, Geno Washington & The Ram Jam Band were an extremely popular ballroom and club act, packing out venues wherever they went. They broke up in 1969, with Geno commencing a solo career before departing for the States. Since 2005, Geno has started gigging again. Digitally remastered, slipcased and with extensive new notes.

Tracklist
    [CD1]
    Hand Clappin' Foot Stompin' Funky-Butt ... Live!:
    1. Philly Dog
    2. Ride Your Pony
    3. Up Tight [[Everything's Alright)
    4. [[I'm A) Road Runner
    5. Hold On, I'm Comin'
    6. Don't Fight It
    7. Land Of A Thousand Dances [[Pt. 1)
    8. Land Of A Thousand Dances [[Pt. 2)
    9. Respect
    10. Willy Nilly
    11. Get Down With It
    12. Michael [[The Lover)
    13. Que Sera Sera
    14. You Don't Know [[Like I Know)
    Shake A Tail Feather:
    15. Raise Your Hand
    16. You Got Me Hummin'
    17. Three Time Loser
    18. Tell It Like It Is
    19. Use Me
    20. Understanding
    21. Knock On Wood
    22. Bonie Moronie
    23. Never Like This Before
    24. I'm Your Puppet
    25. Who's Foolin' Who
    26. [[I Gotta) Hold On To My Love

[CD2]
    Hipsters, Flipsters, Finger-Poppin' Daddies!:
    1. Herk's Works
    2. Day Tripper
    3. I Can't Turn You Loose
    4. You Left The Water Running
    5. In The Midnight Hour
    6. Hi-Heel Sneakers
    7. Shotgun
    8. Raise Your Hand
    9. Who's Foolin' Who
    10. Things Get Better
    11. It's A Wonder
    12. She Shot A Hole In My Soul
    13. Wild Thing
    Running Wild:
    14. I Take What I Want
    15. Knock On Wood
    16. Gimme A Little Sign
    17. Raise Your Hand
    18. Michael [[The Lover)
    19. Que Sera Sera
    20. Rock Me Baby [[Pt. 1)
    21. Rock Me Baby [[Pt. 2)
    22. High Heel Sneakers
    23. Mary Ann
    24. I Get So Excited
    25. Holdin' On With Both Hands
    26. Day Tripper
    27. Baby Come Back
    28. Jumpin' Jack Flash
    29. I Got You Babe

[CD3]
    Bonus Tracks:
    1. Water
    2. Hi! Hi! Hazel
    3. Beach Bash
    4. Que Sera Sera
    5. All I Need
    6. If You Knew
    7. Always
    8. Michael
    9. [[I Gotta) Hold On To My Love
    10. I've Been Hurt By Love
    11. Tell It Like It Is
    12. Girl I Want To Marry You
    13. Different Strokes
    14. I Can't Quit Her
    15. Put Out The Fire
    16. Bring It To Me Baby
    17. I Can't Let You Go
    18. My Little Chickadee
    19. Seven Eleven
    20. Alison Please
    21. Each And Every Part Of Me
    22. Feeling So Good [[S.K.O.O.B.Y. D.O.O.)
    23. Dirty, Dirty
    24. Give 'Em A Hand
    25. If This Is Love [[I'd Rather Be Lonely)
    26. Going Back
    27. Listen To My Love Song That Ain't Got A Rhyme
    28. Careful Not To Break The Spell
    29. I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman
    30. Boomerang
    31. She's All I Got
    32. Summer Fever [As Geno & Frenchie]

Amazon USA
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CWJ7JPP/?tag=imwan-20

Amazon UK
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CWJ7JPP/?tag=imwan-21

Don't know this guy at all but happy to see such products continuing to come out.

I don't know this person either. There is another soul singer by the name of GINO
    Washington. He recorded Out of This World on the Wand label. After that he was one
    of the first artists for Eddie Wingate's Ric Tic records singing Gino Is a Coward. I wish
    GINO would get some attention but he rarely, if ever, gets mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I don't know this person either. There is another soul singer by the name of GINO
    Washington. He recorded Out of This World on the Wand label. After that he was one
    of the first artists for Eddie Wingate's Ric Tic records singing Gino Is a Coward. I wish
    GINO would get some attention but he rarely, if ever, gets mentioned.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  21.1 KB
    "Geno" Washington [[leader of The Ramjam Band"), was an American military serviceman, stationed in Europe during the mid-to-late 1960s, and early 1970s, who appeared in clubs there, and recorded several records. He was more of a "Soul screamer".

Detroit's "Gino" Washington started singing in a Detroit high school in 1961, and first recorded "I'm a Coward" [[the first version of "Gino Is A Coward") for Wilbur [[Wilbert) Golden's Correc-Tone Records in 1962 [[when The Supremes were moonlighting from Motown, singing backgrounds for Correc-Tone). Gino and his Atlantics [[Gino Washington Band), and The Rochelles [[his back-up Girls Group), sang a lot in local parties and venues in Detroit. They recorded "Gino is a Coward" in early 1964, for Golden's Correc-Tone subsidiary label, SonBert Records, co-owned with Golden, by Sonny Sanders and Robert Bateman. When the SonBert release went nowhere because of lack of distribution, Washington took it to Ed Wingate and JoAnne Bratton, at Golden World, and they re-issued the SonBert recordings. Gino's "Out of This World" was recorded in later 1964 for local, Detroit label Amon. Soon after, when it had a good amount of local sales, they leased the record to Wand, to get national distribution, and it charted in different parts of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 426
    "Geno" Washington [[leader of The Ramjam Band"), was an American military serviceman, stationed in Europe during the mid-to-late 1960s, and early 1970s, who appeared in clubs there, and recorded several records. He was more of a "Soul screamer".

Detroit's "Gino" Washington started singing in a Detroit high school in 1961, and first recorded "I'm a Coward" [[the first version of "Gino Is A Coward") for Wilbur [[Wilbert) Golden's Correc-Tone Records in 1962 [[when The Supremes were moonlighting from Motown, singing backgrounds for Correc-Tone). Gino and his Atlantics [[Gino Washington Band), and The Rochelles [[his back-up Girls Group), sang a lot in local parties and venues in Detroit. They recorded "Gino is a Coward" in early 1964, for Golden's Correc-Tone subsidiary label, SonBert Records, co-owned with Golden, by Sonny Sanders and Robert Bateman. When the SonBert release went nowhere because of lack of distribution, Washington took it to Ed Wingate and JoAnne Bratton, at Golden World, and they re-issued the SonBert recordings. Gino's "Out of This World" was recorded in later 1964 for local, Detroit label Amon. Soon after, when it had a good amount of local sales, they leased the record to Wand, to get national distribution, and it charted in different parts of the country.
    I remember a discussion here that seemed to debunk the notion that the Sups were on "Coward." Now, thanks to your valuable authority on such matters, I realize that there was more than one version recorded. So, for the record: Sups on "I'm a...," no Sups on "Gino Is..."?

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I remember a discussion here that seemed to debunk the notion that the Sups were on "Coward." Now, thanks to your valuable authority on such matters, I realize that there was more than one version recorded. So, for the record: Sups on "I'm a...," no Sups on "Gino Is..."?
Views: 383
    I don't believe that The Supremes backed Gino Washington on "I'm a Coward". When we were told that The Supremes moonlighted for Correc-Tone, I think what was really referred to was Wilson Pickett's "Let Me Be Your Boy" and "My Heart Belongs To You" [[where anyone with decent hearing can make out each of their voices), as well as possibly having backed up James Velvet [[The Satintones' James Ellis?) on his 2 Correc-Tone cuts. I think that Gino Washington had his own female backing group for his act [[The Rochelles who backed him on Amon/Wand) and it is they who sing on "I'm A Coward". "Gino Is A Coward" has no female group backing him.
    Last edited by robb_k; 08-16-2020 at 02:35 AM.

Attachment 18013
    Here's Wilson Pickett's "Let Me Be Your Boy":

"Can't you hear The Supremes' voices singing?"

Views: 369
    Here's "My Heart Belongs To You" - I can hear all 3 of the 1962 Supremes' voices on this one, too. [[Barbara Martin was alreaady gone [[but I couldn't pick her voice out of a crowd, anyway. :

Here's "I'm A Coward" - I can hear 3 young ladies, but NONE sounds like one of The Supremes. The "lead" background singer has a little bit deeper tone than any of The Supremes had.
    Last edited by robb_k; 08-16-2020 at 12:58 PM.

Here's James Velvet's "Bouquet of Flowers". These young women sound like they COULD be The Supremes, in some places more strongly than others. If I had a gun to my head and had to be right to save my life, I'd guess they WERE The Supremes. But, I'd guess they were NOT on The Gino Washington Correc-Tone 503:

Unfortunately The Correc-Tone original wasn't up on You-Tube [[but this is the same recording).
    Last edited by robb_k; 08-16-2020 at 12:59 PM.

Here's Gino Washington's "Puppet On A String". These young women sound like they COULD be The Supremes, in some places, when they form a blended chorus. But, when the lead sings "Gino" and "Puppet On A String, clearly, and distinctly, I hear a different voice and tone, from any of The Supremes. If I had a gun to my head and had to be right to save my life, I'd guess this group was NOT The Supremes.

Here's Gino Washington with The Rochelles singing "Out Of This World". Unfortunately, they stay in a uniform chorus, so they don't sound different from The Supremes, or the group on "I'm A Coward".

Here's Gino Washington with who I THINK are The Rochelles singing "Romeo". They sound like they could be the group on "I'm A Coward" and "Puppet On A String". And they don't sound as much like The Supremes. I'm pretty sure that The Rochelles were in "The Gino Washington Review" - backing him up along with his band, The Atlantics, on all his gigs from late 1963 to 1966 or maybe into 1967. Maybe the were also with him in 1962 to sing on Correc-Tone 503?

Here's Gino Washington with The Rochelles singing "Come Monkey With Me, recorded for Amon, leased to Flo Greenberg's Wand Records in New York". They sound like they could possibly be the group on "I'm A Coward" and "Puppet On A String". But, unfortunately they sang only a blended chorus on this one, too. I was hoping for at least a small solo part, to try to match up with the solo "Gino!" part in "I'm A Coward", or the short solo phrase in "Puppet on A String".

Here's Gino Washington with The Rochelles singing a 1964 re-recording of "Puppet On A String". They sound like they could possibly be the group on "I'm A Coward" and "Puppet On A String". But, unfortunately they sang only a blended chorus on this one, too. I was hoping for at least a small solo part, to try to match up with the solo "Gino!" part in "I'm A Coward", or the short solo phrase in "Puppet on A String".

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Attachment 18013
    Here's Wilson Pickett's "Let Me Be Your Boy":

"Can't you hear The Supremes' voices singing?"
    Although I do not know a lot about the Correc Tone label, it is very interesting to see who the A&R Director of this company was, Robert Bateman, the one and only. Wow.

robb_k, thanks for your comprehensive responses. I have most of the disputed material already, but it's certainly good to have these in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    robb_k, thanks for your comprehensive responses. I have most of the disputed material already, but it's certainly good to have these in one place.
Views: 363
    I was hoping to read some comments by other posters on whether or not they think The Supremes sang on any of the Correc-Tone records, and on which, if any, after listening to these songs back-to-back.
    Last edited by robb_k; 08-16-2020 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Although I do not know a lot about the Correc Tone label, it is very interesting to see who the A&R Director of this company was, Robert Bateman, the one and only. Wow.
Views: 370
    You should read our own Soulful Detroit webisode on Correc-Tone Records. It summerises their history.
    In a nutshell, at the beginning of 1962, Wilbur Golden [[Numbers King and business associate of Ed Wingate) wanted to get into the music business [[ostensibly as a legitimate business to launder his numbers proceeds). He saw how successful Berry Gordy was with Motown Records. He also knew that Wingate had started up Golden World Records, for a similar reason. Golden also knew that there were several artists and production people at Motown who were disgruntled about seeing Motown starting to be successful, but were not sharing in the profits with increased salaries [[or even getting salaries), bonuses, or residuals, because Gordy was pouring all the proceeds back into the business. So, Golden, with no knowledge of the music business, decided to try to lure away some of Motown's staff.

Golden approached Brian Holland [[Motown's 3rd leading producer, after Berry and Smokey). He offered a large salary for him to be his new record company [[Correc-Tone Records)'s A&R Man and Chief Producer [[e.g. Company President/Chief of Operations). Brian accepted, and brought his brother, Eddie in, too. Golden also wanted his label to operate it's own recording studio [[like Motown had). So, he approached Mike McLean's engineer colleague, Robert Bateman to jump to his new label. The Holland's convinced Bateman to desert Motown and join them at Correc-Tone. They also got Popcorn Wylie to join. When Berry got wind of all that, he offered The Hollands high regular salaries, and bought each of them brand new Cadillacs. He offered Bateman a salary significantly lower than Golden had. The Hollands stopped dealing with Golden, and the writing was on the wall for Bateman. He had formally told Gordy that he was leaving Motown. So, he was stuck. Golden then offered Bateman not only the job of building the new recording studio, and being its sound engineer, but also Brian's job as company president/Chief A&R Man/producer.

Bateman had the new studio built [[at 8912 Grand River)[[which later became Magic City Recording Studio), and brought in his Satintones group members[[who were about to break up, anyway, and Popcorn Wiley as a producer, and Motown chief secretary, Janie Bradford, as a moonlighting songwriter [[with the alias, "Nikki Todd"). Bateman also signed local songwriters, William Weatherspoon and Ron Davis. He also hired Jazz piano player, Willy Harbert, to be another arranger, and singer, Laura Johnson, as Correc-Tone's secretary. He signed Wilson Pickett away from Robert West's LuPine Records, James Velvet[[rumoured to be James Ellis -lead of The Satintones), The Pyramids [[Satintone, Vern Williams' new group), Lillian Dorr, Gino Washington, Marva Josie, Timiko[[Tamiko)Jones, The Donays [[Yvonne Vernee[[Allen) lead), Theresa Lindsey, Danny Woods, He also signed Don "Juan" Mancha as another producer songrwiter, and Don Revels the same [[away from Robert West's LuPine). Bateman's ex-Satintone partner, Sonny Sanders became one of Correc-Tone's main producers and arrangers.

So, from 1962 to late 1965, when Golden sold out to Ed Wingate, Correc-Tone made a lot of good Motownish/Golden Worldlike recordings, using moonlighting and ex-Motowners [[just like Wingate and Bratton did at Golden World/Ric-Tic). Unfortunately, because Golden was always strapped for cash, golden didn't have the money or distribution to create big hits. He was forced to lease out many of his productions. That problem caused Bateman to leave Correc-Tone in late 1963, after he moved to New York to set up an office there [[so he could moonlight as an independent producer, while still working for Correc-Tone [[into mid 1964). But Golden often didn't pay him when his salary was due, so he quit Correc-Tone, and became an independent producer operating both out of New York and returning to Detroit for projects like Mary Wells with 20th Century Fox, and Fred Bridges for Versatile in New York, and Luther Ingram with Popcorn Wiley on Detroit's HIB Records, and Herman Griffin for NY's Double-L. As Correc-Tone, he partnered on projects with Griffin's Hit and Hit Productions labels. After Bateman stopped work with Correc-Tone completely, Golden used Popcorn Wiley, Sonny Sanders, and Don Juan Mancha as its main producers.

It's ironic that Robert Bateman's personal music publishing company, "Brianbert Music" was formed, originally as Correc-Tone's music publishing company, because his old producing partner in the Brianbert production team at Motown was supposed to be his producing partner as the main producing team at Correc-Tone. So, as Bateman had been left alone, deserted at Correc-Tone by The Holland Brothers, as a slap-in-the-face to Brian, Bateman in his deal with Golden, kept Correc-Tone's publishing company as his own.
    Last edited by robb_k; 08-16-2020 at 02:32 PM.

Views: 339
    Duplicate post

Last edited by robb_k; 08-17-2020 at 07:11 PM.

Geno Washington was a singer, who sang as a solo act, and with a group, while stationed in Italy, and later in Germany in The US military [[Army, I believe). He started his own band, The Ramjam Band in England, where he lived after leaving The Service. They had a large cult following in England during the 1960s and '70s.

GENO WASHINGTON

UK Number 1s
      UK Top 10s
      UK Top 40s
      UK Top 75s
      Weeks at Number 1
      Weeks in Top 10
      Weeks in Top 40
      Weeks in Top 75

Date Title, Artist Peak
    Pos
    WoC Wks
    No 1
    Chart
    Facts

WATER

GENO WASHINGTON AND HIS RAM JAM BAND

PICCADILLY
    39 08 00

HI! HI! HAZEL

PICCADILLY
    45 04 00

QUE SERA SERA

PICCADILLY
    43 03 00

MICHAEL
    GENO WASHINGTON

PICCADILLY
    39 05 00

Here's Geno singing "Que Sera, Sera":

I don't like his singing much. He doesn't/didn't have much range or good voice control. He certainly didn't have much training in singing.

Here's Geno and The Ramjam Band singing "Sam & Dave's "You Don't Know Like I Know":

Views: 338
    Here's Geno singing Detroit Soul [[to complicate the confusion between him and Detroiter, Gino):

Actually, he does a much better job of singing this in the studio, than his singing on those live videos.

Views: 263
    This is a thread about GENO Washington, and yet NO ONE, except me, has commented on his singing, or the 3 CDs. Is there no one besides me who remembers him?