[REMOVE ADS]

Motown 60's Albums Expanded

While its probably unrealistic and asking too much to do every album in expanded form I like to think there is hope for some or at least the ones I think should definitely get the expanded treatment from other artists.

Martha & The Vandellas:

Dance Party
    Watch Out

The Four Tops:

Second Album
    Reach Out

Marvin Gaye:

Moods Of
    In The Groove

The Temptations:

Gettin' Ready
    With A Lot O Soul

Gladys Knight & The Pips:

Everybody Needs Love
    Feelin' Blusey

The Miracles:

Going To A Go-Go
    Make It Happen

Brenda Holloway:

Every Little Bit Hurts
    Hurtin & Cryin

Temptations, In A Mellow Mood, or Marvin Gaye, Hello Broadway.

Those records that eventually broke them and Motown into the Copa, and thus, the rest of the world, beyond the stages of either of pop or of soul.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 08-14-2020 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Temptations, In A Mellow Mood, or Marvin Gaye, Hello Broadway.

Those records that eventually broke them and Motown into the Copa, and thus, the rest of the world, beyond the stages of either of pop or of soul.
    There have been so many unreleased tracks getting freed from the vaults that my guess is you would have a hard job expanding any of those LP's apart from the occasional different mix or vocal....shame - but you can't have it every way.

But still would be good for original mono and stereo versions. I'd settle for albums that "simply" did that. Marvin's "When I'm Alone I Cry" CD was released with both the mono and stereo album tracks. It would be great to have "Make It Happen" [[SR&TM) or the first "Four Tops" album on CD in their original mono format if only for the odd "The Tears Of A Clown" and "Without The One You Love" tracks.

Two from the year 1970:

_ Right On - The Supremes
    _ ABC - The Jackson 5

There are more unreleased tracks still in the vaults from these two albums .

I think it's proven that the only sets that still sell these days are by the Supremes; if we cant even get a release on them, there's no way we'll get a release on the others.

Yet we get Marvin on vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I think it's proven that the only sets that still sell these days are by the Supremes; if we cant even get a release on them, there's no way we'll get a release on the others.

Yet we get Marvin on vinyl.
    I could also go for sixties Stevie Wonder, if possible. Come on, Stevie Wonder!

Yeah, we all know, Stevie Wonder became Stevie Wonder out of his Music Of My Mind - beyond albums, and seemingly, the Classic Motown reissue-ers kept on crankin' and recrankin' only those albums on CD form, for the most part, since. But, he was also consistent Late 1965 - 1971, as well as scattered here and there 1963 - Mid 1965 too!

Why not, start with a non-Culture Factory Uptight reissue, on a proper, ordinarily-made CD with ordinary CD finish, shall we? Just saying, I once ordered a Culture Factory Uptight once, and its differently made black CD finish was utterly unplayable on my computer! No no, I'm not asking for suggestions to plunk extra money for extra hardware I have no desire to add anyways just to play it, I just want an ordinary silvery-CD-finished Uptight, and making it "Deluxe" would be nice also.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 08-17-2020 at 12:19 AM.

Marvelettes Pink Album.

Martha and the Vandellas Black Magic is there's anything left lol.

Four Tops on Top, Reach Out and still water.

to me, i'd rather get some of the early 70s material. other than the concept albums like 4T's Broadway or Sups R&H, most of the 60s albums are just random collections of singles and filler. sure the material is excellent but there wasn't an overriding concept

I'd love to hear more of the Still water sessions or Nature Planned It.

But as we know there are some more releases on the way from Real Gone - even after "Funny Girl" on CD. Still exciting times methinks.

And the previous releases on Bobby Darin, Blinky even Lesley Gore prove that people aren't only interested in DRATS otherwise why would they carry on releasing these artists?

I think it's long been apparent that Universal - meaning Motown Select or whatever it's called now - requires higher sales expectations than many others [[Ace, Real Gone, etc) to do a cd release.

I wouldn't imagine that Ace sold large volumes of the "Motown Girls", "More Motown Girls", etc series, as these are really niche products aimed at hardcore Motown fans. They can't be making big money off these releases but at the same time I don't think they would continue if they were losing money, either.

Once upon a time, Universal was also putting out non-mainstream Motown on the Spectrum "budget" label. I think that Paul Nixon once wrote that there was even a San Remo Golden Strings release planned - which presumably would have been both LPs plus perhaps some unreleased tracks, if there were any - but Universal pulled the plug on that budget series before the release came to be. Now it seems Spectrum just puts out a new DRATS greatest hits compilation every few years.

It also seemed to me that the Motown Select releases really slowed down after the EMI merger, though maybe that was just a coincidence.

It was the change in EU copyright law that pushed Universal to open the vaults and put out the annual "Motown Unreleased" series, thereby securing the copyright on those recordings for another 70 years. Otherwise we probably wouldn't have seen much of that material, either.

There's a recent thread about the the farewell concert of Smokey Robinson and the Miracles which was released as part of Hip-O's "Live Collection" 2-cd set. According to discogs, that came out in December 2004 and was limited to 5000 non-numbered copies. If that's right, and it was limited to that number internationally [[maybe that was just the US limit?), it apparently sold fewer than 5000 copies in the 15 years since, as it's still available from Amazon UK [[albeit at more than twice the price that I paid for it years ago). And that cd was released long before streaming was a thing.

https://www.discogs.com/Smokey-Robin...elease/1061168

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Collec...s=music&sr=1-1

[[Amazon UK says "Only 2 left in stock", so if you don't already have it...)
    Last edited by calvin; 08-22-2020 at 07:08 AM.